HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would it take to get the St.Louis 1st

Old
05-29-2006, 09:06 PM
habsfan92

vCash: 500

No really. They have nothing at every position. Would they switch picks with Mtl if we gave them Aebi, Ribs and Zednik, Rivet (and Brewer/Woywitka coming this way). One player at 1st overall will not change that teams fortunes, but this would still give them two first round picks (16 & 27) plus a capable goalie and a d-man along with 2/3 of a line.
Thoughts please?
I don't think this is out of the question. Please give your first overall pick if this could happen.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:11 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
for the love of god don't post this on the trade rumors board...

St Louis is rebuilding for the future. They have the chance to draft a potential star player.

Why would they trade that and their top D man in Brewer and a blue chip prospect for a couple of 2nd liners, #4 Dman and a #1b goalie as well as a draft pick that may turn out into another Jason Ward.

This makes no sense for the blues.

Old
05-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Shabutie

Abiescher - Ribeiro - Komi

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:12 PM
LeHab

They are reconstructing, why would they want guys who are old and UFA soon ?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:14 PM
znk

St-louis will not give its first....not with that crop of players.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
All-Star

None of the guys mentioned have the potential drawing power of a high grade defenceman, so I'd say that's a big no on that one. If you had offered up Kostitsyn, Markov, Higgins, and Price, they might listen, but...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:17 PM
not quite yoda

the 1st overall pick is The Blues' no1 posession right now. More valuable than any player in the organization right now. I don't think they (or any team) are anxious to trade away their prized asset for our cast-offs.

Aebischer would be our no2 goalie, our backup. Ribeiro is our2nd line center that we need to upgrade on as he doesn't produce in the playoffs. Zednick just had his worst season in MTL and is a UFA in 1 season.

Seriously, I think that the 1st overall pick could bring them more than a team's junk. To get something good you have to give up quality.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
habsfan92

Have any of you looked at the St Louis roster? They have only one threat (if I can say that) in Tkachuck. He is definately in the decline. Cajanek is the number one center. The rest of the fowards are AHL'ers.
On d, they have Brewer-perennial underachiever. Will never fulfill expectations. 9 points in 32 games. Untradeable? Unlikely.
Goalies? None.
This team will be going for free agent signings, but no impact players are out there. So, you guys say that they will keep the first pick, and draft ( I assume) either Johnson (who will play in Minnesota next year) or Kessel (who had a somewhat disappointing season considering expectations). Neither will be in the lineup soon, and so I think it depends on the ownership group. Do they want a team that will somewhat competative, or aweful for a few years because they will most certainly draft top five next year.
Seriously, if Perez was sub'd in there instead of Zednik, I think they would give it serious consideration. Will this trade make them a contender, God no, but they would be somewhat competative on almost any given night.

Old
05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
not quite yoda

Dude, they are re-building. Bad teams do that. If they were trying to be "somewhat competitive" why would they have traded their number 1 center (Weight) for a 1st round draft pick and a couple of prospects? Because they are building for the future. And that' exactly why they will retain their 1st overall pick and build around that block.

The only way they would trade away a Johnson or Kessel is if they have a package offered to them that

A) knocks their socks off
and
B) gives them a better base for the future

It has nothing to do with getting 70 points next season instead of 55 points. And, once again, you are trying to peddle our trash for their best assets. NHL GMs are smarter than you seem to think.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Dude, they are re-building. Bad teams do that. If they were trying to be "somewhat competitive" why would they have traded their number 1 center (Weight) for a 1st round draft pick and a couple of prospects? Because they are building for the future. And that' exactly why they will retain their 1st overall pick and build around that block.

The only way they would trade away a Johnson or Kessel is if they have a package offered to them that

and

It has nothing to do with getting 70 points next season instead of 55 points. And, once again, you are trying to peddle our trash for their best assets. NHL GMs are smarter than you seem to think.
Imo if anyone will get St-Louis first pick, it's ottawa.

Old
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Maybe for: Markov, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and the first round draft pick

Would you make that deal if you were the Blue's GM? I know that if I were the Blues GM I would be very tempted. Either take a guy who could be a bust but has great potential or take a number 2 young d-man, a guy who scored a hell of a lot in his first season, Plekanec who is a solid player and Kostitsyn who is a solid prospect.

Here is a list of players the blues GM will most likely not want:
Radek Bonk
Jan Bulis - duh!
Saku Koivu - great player but old and way too injured
Mike Ribeiro - everyone knows that he is worthless in teh new nhl
Richard Zednik - same as ribs
Alexei Kovalev - no rebuilding team would want this guy at the salary he commands and at his age
Niklas Sundstrom - do I have to explain?
Francis Bouillon - *cough*dwarf*cough*
Mathieu Dandenault - oldie

Last edited by Kerberos: 05-29-2006 at 10:35 PM.
  Kerberos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
ensanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92

Too much.

ensanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Maybe for: Markov, Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and the first round draft pick

Would you make that deal if you were the Blue's GM? I know that if I were the Blues GM I would be very tempted. Either take a guy who could be a bust but has great potential or take a number 2 young d-man, a guy who scored a hell of a lot in his first season, Plekanec who is a solid player and Kostitsyn who is a solid prospect.
If gainey did that, I'd burn him alive personally. Mark my words ppls.

Old
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
znk

Quote:
Have any of you looked at the St Louis roster? They have only one threat (if I can say that) in Tkachuck. He is definately in the decline. Cajanek is the number one center. The rest of the fowards are AHL'ers.
On d, they have Brewer-perennial underachiever. Will never fulfill expectations. 9 points in 32 games. Untradeable? Unlikely.
Goalies? None.
This team will be going for free agent signings, but no impact players are out there. So, you guys say that they will keep the first pick, and draft ( I assume) either Johnson (who will play in Minnesota next year) or Kessel (who had a somewhat disappointing season considering expectations). Neither will be in the lineup soon, and so I think it depends on the ownership group. Do they want a team that will somewhat competative, or aweful for a few years because they will most certainly draft top five next year.
Seriously, if Perez was sub'd in there instead of Zednik, I think they would give it serious consideration. Will this trade make them a contender, God no, but they would be somewhat competative on almost any given night.
plz tell me what's the difference between St-Louis this year and other teams in the past that had the first pick? What makes St-Louis more suceptible of trading their first pick then these other teams?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
If gainey did that, I'd burn him alive personally. Mark my words ppls.
Yet, if whoever Gainey ended up drafted turned out to be Gretzky, you'd sing his praise.

Kerberos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Yet, if whoever Gainey ended up drafted turned out to be Gretzky, you'd sing his praise.
No chance. If this was crosby we were talking about (6 years till he's a hab), then yes. I'd praise.

Old
05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
oli500

probably andrei markov and thats just to get their attention

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:48 PM
habsfan92

Wishful thinking, I admit. But I have seen stranger things happen. Must be sad to be a Blues fan though.
I wouldn't say that GM's are smarter than I thought. Harry Neale was a GM, Mike Milbury, Houle. Quite dumb weren't they. That being said, which teams would be most likely to trade their top ten draft position away.
There's got to be somebody? No?

Old
05-29-2006, 10:49 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

and

I think he has a point in saying that St.Lewy will seriously think of dealing the pick. They are so void of talent that it isn't even funny. I'm gonna go as far as saying that they won't even sniff the post-season in 5 or so years unless they get really creative come draft day and free-agency.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Darz

Unless we do something stupid like empty our prospect tank to St Louis, or somehow acquire a top 5 pick in which we could trade, St. Louis will not be interested in talking to Montreal about trading the first overall pick.

Higgins, Kostitsyn or Komisarek and our 1st will get them listening, but seriously would you want to do that?????

05-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Dutch

Quote:
No really. They have nothing at every position. Would they switch picks with Mtl if we gave them Aebi, Ribs and Zednik, Rivet (and Brewer/Woywitka coming this way). One player at 1st overall will not change that teams fortunes, but this would still give them two first round picks (16 & 27) plus a capable goalie and a d-man along with 2/3 of a line.
Thoughts please?
I don't think this is out of the question. Please give your first overall pick if this could happen.
Oh please

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Narg98

First of all, ST.Louis Blues are in reconstruction, they will not trade their first pick.

But don't say Blues doesn't have a good roster, they can do something with that. Tkachuk on the decline ? Absoluty not, I love the guy and he's very powerfull and skilled, he will impresse each of us next year if he play the whole season. I'm just afraid he will not stay a Blues all season long...

Cajanek is not awsome but he's an excellent 3rd line center (sad that he's the first acually).
Orszagh could show up the potentiel he had with Nashville.
McAmmond is a decent 2nd liner.
The big Shiskanov have a great future in front of him.
Stempniak god more potential that we think.
Backman will me awsome, I'm sure of it. He've been injured this this but look at next season, he will kick some ***.
I feel the same for Wideman who showed great things at the end of the season.
But I lost hope in Brewer and Jackman, who never been the dman they was soposed to be.

There's something to do with that IMO.

Last edited by Narg98: 05-30-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Narg98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
QcS

what would it take to get their #1 pick overall?

it would take them re-hiring Prof Caron as the GM.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg98
Tkachuk on the decline ? Absoluty not, I love the gay and he's very powerfull and skilled, he will impresse each of us next year if he play the whole season. I'm just afraid he will not stay a Blues all season long....

Old
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Brett38

Perrezhogin, Komisarek, Zednik, 1st Round

for

St.Louis 1st Round and future considerations.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote