Notices

Erik Johnson can be yours...(proposal)

Old
05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Erik Johnson can be yours...(proposal)

But it would cost #9, #17/30 AND next years 1st rounder?

Deal?

For a franchise defenseman....is it really that much of an overpayment???

note: if Edmonton wins the Cup and Minnesota's pick becomes #30....the Blues would still pull the trigger. Would that lessen the pain from the Minnesota perspective? The key would obviously be #8 and next years 1st...but alone I don't think that's enough to overwhelm the Blues into making the trade....17/30 would have to be included.

Last edited by Stealth JD: 05-29-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
But it would cost #9, #17 AND next years 1st rounder?

Deal?

For a franchise defenseman....is it really that much of an overpayment???
Three first rounders for one first rounder definately seems like overpayment, to me. If Minnesota was going to sacrifice three first rounders for one defenseman, why not sign a proven RFA defenseman to an offersheet? It would be the same price, and they could get a terrific young defenseman that could help, right away.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Chrisd

honestly....

for erik johnson it might be worth it....he's that good.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
Three first rounders for one first rounder definately seems like overpayment, to me. If Minnesota was going to sacrifice three first rounders for one defenseman, why not sign a proven RFA defenseman to an offersheet? It would be the same price, and they could get a terrific young defenseman that could help, right away.
But the RFA would have to be given big dollars, large enough for his team not to match. You'd be paying multi-millions versus a guy who would be on his rookie contract. Plus you'd own Johnson's rights until 27, and have local interest for the home-grown kid (not that Minny is struggling with local interest).

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
ceber

Still of the opinion that home-grown is more of a negative than a positive for the franchise, but the 9th, 30th and 30th would probably work for me.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Still of the opinion that home-grown is more of a negative than a positive for the franchise, but the 9th, 30th and 30th would probably work for me.

*toasts ceber with the kool-aid*

and really, we could take whoever we want with the 1st overall...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Wild Thing

That's a deal that I'd be tempted to take, actually. Johnson is a genuine blue-chipper, a legitimate franchise defenseman. #9 and #30, plus something like #15 to #20 next year, isn't too much to pay for a guy like that. Even if it's #17 this year, I'd go for it.

Have your people call my people in the morning, and we'll get this done.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
WILDTATE10

deal

WILDTATE10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 01:39 AM
sushinsky4tsar

Absolutely. Even if the pick is the #17. As long as the Wild are commited to putting together a competetive product for next year.

I think a lot of us believe that #17+#9 < #5

But if we could swing that deal, then I would gladly tack on another '07 1st rnd (in the 15-20 range) to move up for #1. I can respect anyone's opinion who feels it's too much to pay. But we're loaded with 'A-' prospects and U28s. Let's get our franchise d-man. If it's the #30, then I think it's a no-brainer. Can't see STL pulling the trigger though.

As for something more realistic, I would still like to move up to the top 5 and get a franchise centerman. Though I don't think we'll have the arsenal if EDM wins the cup.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Bluesman

I say do it. Johnson fits a need for the team and the organization as a whole, and is a talent that we're almost certainly not going to find with the picks we'd be giving up.

Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
TeamSeals

Id be more inclined to trade up for Backstrom during the draft if he is still there at 3 or 4. He is the most mature center who has the skillset to play under lemaire and still be highly offensive. team him up with Gabby on the top line and watch the fireworks.

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
MN_Gopher

In a word NO. One man can not do it all. If that were so the best player in the NHL would own all the stanley cups during his years. Gretzky and Lemieux did not win every year. I do not think EJ alone can propel us that much to make up for 3-4 top young players. If the wild scouts do thier job perfect. We are looking at Matt Carles, Paul Martins, Brad Richards and Martin Havlats with those picks. I know we will not be that lucky. But its too many players for one.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
In a word NO. One man can not do it all. If that were so the best player in the NHL would own all the stanley cups during his years. Gretzky and Lemieux did not win every year. I do not think EJ alone can propel us that much to make up for 3-4 top young players. If the wild scouts do thier job perfect. We are looking at Matt Carles, Paul Martins, Brad Richards and Martin Havlats with those picks. I know we will not be that lucky. But its too many players for one.

I have to agree. #9, #17 and 1st round in 2007? Way too much.

You do that type of trade for young guys who have already established their star power in the NHL. Not for an 18-year old.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Chrisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
I have to agree. #9, #17 and 1st round in 2007? Way too much.

You do that type of trade for young guys who have already established their star power in the NHL. Not for an 18-year old.
Would you trade 9, 17 and 1st in 07 for dion phaneuf?

Erik Johnson will be as good if not better.

crosby/ovechkin/staal were playing in the nhl at 18 or 19....age doesn't really matter.

You get a stud franchise D man at age 18...that is priceless.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd

crosby/ovechkin/staal were playing in the nhl at 18 or 19....age doesn't really matter.

Still no way. If EJ could play 30-35 min a game yes. But in hockey its 22-25 for a guy like him. In basketball i would trade like that. In hockey no one player is worth the potential of 4. And didn't Phaneuf go with 9th overall pick. I ll take my chances of finding a Phaneuf plus 3.

Old
05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd

Don't tell me for a minute that you can say that already. You can't.

And yes, I'd make that trade for Phaneuf.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 05:26 PM
The Big E

Yes, it sounds like EJ is awesome for an 18 yr old.

Someone is going to get him. Trading in commodity futures is always dangerous. I know a couple of people who actually trade commodity futures for a living. They are very frequently left holding a commodity that they cannot dump and lose large sometimes huge sums of money for their company. It is the risk inherent in volatile markets.

I argue that draft picks should be thought of as commodities. You're general goal is to get more for them or out of them than you paid. If the kid is genuine like Pierre Marc Bouchard or Brent Burns, you look like a genius. If you're the guy who picked first and let Michael Jordan slip past ... you look stupid.

Suppose I chose to trade up? Suppose I chose to trade several future commodities like Pouliot, Irmen and our 9th pick as well as our 30th to move up and have a shot at getting EJ? Using this example, we're losing the chance at two future power forwards who at minimum will likely be a solid bangers plus two future commodities as yet to materialize. In terms of chicken futures, we've traded 4 eggs for 1. For a young organization, you better be mighty sure that you can first of all pull off the deal and secondly that your one egg is gonna be one heck of a stud rooster.

Look, Burns came out of nowhere and he's legit. Boogaard was an unexpected surprise -- who knew we'd drafted a kid who has turned out to be one of the toughest fighters in the NHL? Who's to say the D-Man we select with our 9th pick (if we select a D-Man) won't outshine EJ? Or our 9th pick forward consistently outscores Kessel? You know that Tommy Thompson has his eye on some kind who has shone a remarkable upward curve. Whoever the kid is, you all know that they've interviewed the kid, his family, his coach and watched loads of his games.

Look what the Red Wings have been able to do without having a pick in the top 20 for the last decade? Not to shabby, eh? I certainly hope that Tommy will find another needle in the haystack like he's done before.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Goldy

I'd do it.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
MN_Gopher

Hershel Walker for a few first rounders and some seconds.

Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodsen, Micheal Irving and two starting linemen= superbowl

Hershel Walker= A nice highlight where his shoe came off.

Old
05-31-2006, 10:04 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Don't tell me for a minute that you can say that already. You can't.

this is HF, yes he can

Old
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Hershel Walker for a few first rounders and some seconds.

Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodsen, Micheal Irving and two starting linemen= superbowl

Hershel Walker= A nice highlight where his shoe came off.

sad but true

and lol @ the highlight, that's my only memory of him in a viking uniform...he had like 150 yards the first game, then pfffffffffft

Old
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
sushinsky4tsar

Why is this getting turned into a 4-5+ players for one debate? The initial proposal was the 9, 17/30, 2007 1st -for- the #1. I'm for it, but I definitely draw the line at giving up more than 3 picks.

At #9, we would prob. get a very good winger.

With the 17/30 + 2007 1st (15-20 ish), one will prob. be a bust or depth player, one will prob. turn out to be a good player.

I would trade prob. getting a very good winger, and another good player -for- prob. getting a franchise defenseman. If for no other reason that I'm very satisfied w/ the quantity of solid to very good prospects we already have in our system.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 07:53 AM
ceber

Considering that Risebrough said he'd trade all his draft picks this year to grab him...
Ok, well, he didn't really say that. The interviewer suggested it and DR laughed and said he probably would, but St. Louis wouldn't.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM
MePutPuckInNet

I think that's way too high a price for an unproven player. He seems like a great prospect and all, but nobody knows how well any of the prospects are going to do at the NHL level, until they actually play in the big show.

That's not to say that at some point in the future, I wouldn't be tempted,,,,,but considering the serious lack of depth in the organization at all positions - at this point, I'd think that using the picks would be the way to go.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of big draft day trading this year - and I expect that the Wild may be pulling off a deal at that time. If I were the GM, I'd be much more apt to trade the 9 & 17/30, [I wouldn't be too keen on trading away next year's 1st rounder] for someone who's already proven they can play at the NHL level and will be able to immediately impact the team [Redden, for example].

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote