HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expendable players from the Flyers?

Old
05-29-2006, 08:49 PM
mgeise

vCash: 500
Expendable players from the Flyers?

I am going around to every team's message boards and attempting to get a feel for who is expendable on your team and who you would like moved in the offseason. Who do you want to see moved from the Flyers?

mgeise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Lupul*

Expendable players (but I don't necessarily want them traded):

Hatcher
Dimitrakos
Radivojevic
Stevenson
Esche
Nedved

Those are players that I would not mind terribly if they got dealt.

Last edited by Lupul*: 05-31-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I managed to spell "terribly" wrong the first time around.
Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 04:55 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10
Expendable players (but I don't necessarily want them traded):

Hatcher
Dimitrakos
Radivojevic
Stevenson
Esche
Nedved

Those are players that I would not mind terribally if they got dealt.

I wouldn't mind seeing rathje and kapanen dealt as well. At least one from the rathje hatcher pair should be dealt, but probably won't. We;re talkin about Bob Clarke here.

califlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 06:13 AM
fism

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
I wouldn't mind seeing rathje and kapanen dealt as well. At least one from the rathje hatcher pair should be dealt, but probably won't. We;re talkin about Bob Clarke here.
we'll, we're also talking about some pretty tough contracts to sell as well.

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
malfeasance

NOBODY is expendable. This is the best team ever assembled, have you not listened to management? We only lost because of injuries, everybody knows that. Jeez.

malfeasance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
A Flock Of Seguins

[IMAGE]http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/0736.jpg[/IMAGE]
+
[IMAGE]http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/0554.jpg[/IMAGE]

cost more than

[IMAGE]http://www.gothamist.com/images/2003_10_6million.jpg[/IMAGE]

But, strangely enough, if you combine Hatcher and Rathje's faces...

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 12:37 PM
steinie77

Hatcher, Desjardins (UFA), Brashear (UFA), Savage (UFA), Stevenson, Nedved (I personally would like to see him stay), Dimitrakos, Radivojevic, and perhaps Esche and Handzus (via trade).

The Flyers, unfortunately, will not look too different from last year come training camp unless Clarke can strike a deal to move at least one "contract" (read Hatcher) out in favor of bringing in someone more mobile. The Flyers still need a shifty forward who can score as a sniper, not just collect garbage goals. A mobile defenseman or two (depends on Johnsson's health) and depending upon any trades, they may need a backup goaltender.

steinie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Lupul*

I didn't include Rathje since he has a NTC, and I didn't include UFAs.

Old
05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
sushinsky4tsar

handzus?

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
handzus?
How is he expendable?

Old
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I'm not saying he is. Just wondering if he's available. I take it that he's either an untouchable or would require an overpayment then?

Old
05-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
I'm not saying he is. Just wondering if he's available. I take it that he's either an untouchable or would require an overpayment then?
I don't feel that he should be available, however I think a lot of people disagree with me.

Old
05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
John Flyers Fan

Anyone other than Gagne, Knuble, Carter, Umberger, Richards, Pitkanen, and Meyer.

Handzus has the most value of players I would be actively shopping.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
sushinsky4tsar

hmmm...one of your posters came to the Wild board w/ a Handzus for pick proposal. And it kind of got me thinking.

-Wild are desperate for a 1st line center, particularly one that could play w/ Gaborik
-the ufa center pool isn't exactly overwhelming, at least not for our system
-things are starting to get a little testy on the Gaborik contract front
-Gaborik is a Slovak. Handzus is a Slovak.
-an ideal center would be defensive-minded, an adept passer, possess some size, good on the draw, doesn't need a scorer's touch, but good speed would be nice.

Handzus would be a perfect compliment, if not for the lacking speed part. Does he skate as slow as some people make him out to be? Does he ever play on the same line as Gagne, or is it always more of a grinder line. Is the idea of him playing on the same ice as Gaborik laughable? If not, what are the Flyers looking for?

*17/30 pick
*Schultz/Skoula
*Weinhandle

any interest?

Old
06-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
hmmm...one of your posters came to the Wild board w/ a Handzus for pick proposal. And it kind of got me thinking.

-Wild are desperate for a 1st line center, particularly one that could play w/ Gaborik
-the ufa center pool isn't exactly overwhelming, at least not for our system
-things are starting to get a little testy on the Gaborik contract front
-Gaborik is a Slovak. Handzus is a Slovak.
-an ideal center would be defensive-minded, an adept passer, possess some size, good on the draw, doesn't need a scorer's touch, but good speed would be nice.

Handzus would be a perfect compliment, if not for the lacking speed part. Does he skate as slow as some people make him out to be? Does he ever play on the same line as Gagne, or is it always more of a grinder line. Is the idea of him playing on the same ice as Gaborik laughable? If not, what are the Flyers looking for?

*17/30 pick
*Schultz/Skoula
*Weinhandle

any interest?
Zeus is a good skater for his size. He doesn't get behind the play because he's slow, that much is for sure.

To answer your second question, Zeus does have an offensive upside. During '03 he played in on the PP with Mark Recchi and John LeClair, and put career highs in points as a result. Some (including myself) feel that Zeus would have had a comparable season had he not injured his shoulder midway through the year.

Additionally, Zeus has always played his best hockey when working with other Slovaks. The only problem I forsee with the Gaborik+Zeus combination is that they would be at the mercy of other teams that have centers who excell at faceoffs. If Brian Rolston is taking the key draws then I see no reason why they both can't have great seasons.

For a trade idea, I know that Potulny played with Irmen in the past and had a ton of success. Additionally, the Flyers are relatively thin on the wings. Something to think about.

Last edited by Roger's Pancreas*: 06-01-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
MojoJojo

Zeus IS that slow. His offensive upside consists of playing a great cycling game down low. Good hands and occasionally will be able to step out in front of the net or make a good centering pass from the corners. Last year his defensive play was needed, and he was played as a shut down guy. Without the foot speed to get back to his own end, this greatly impacted his offensive effectiveness. Lemaire would probably like him, but I really dont think he is the type of player the Wild need or would fit well with Gaborik.

Now Nedved on the other hand would fit much better into the role, and you could have him on sale.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Zeus is a good skater for his size. He doesn't get behind the play because he's slow, that much is for sure.
Primeau is a good to very-good skater for his size. Handzus has excellent balance, but is certainly below average foot speed.

Old
06-01-2006, 12:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Zeus IS that slow. His offensive upside consists of playing a great cycling game down low. Good hands and occasionally will be able to step out in front of the net or make a good centering pass from the corners. Last year his defensive play was needed, and he was played as a shut down guy. Without the foot speed to get back to his own end, this greatly impacted his offensive effectiveness. Lemaire would probably like him, but I really dont think he is the type of player the Wild need or would fit well with Gaborik.
Hitchcock never used him as a true shut down guy like he used Primeau. I don't feel that Hitchcock thinks Handzus has the footspeed (and I agree with him) to match up against the elite players in the game.

If Primeau is not going to be available, a new shutdown center would be needed. Mike Peca would certainly become a priority.