HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does Chipchura has 2nd line potential..

Old
05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
Does Chipchura has 2nd line potential..

I am wondering if there is a sligth possibility that Chip ends up an Arnott type player that could eventualy center our second line..?

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Form and Substance

Yes yes he does.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Double XX L

Yes Personally I think he definately does.. many around ehre dont though...
I dont think saying he is similar to Trevor Linden is that far off from the reality of his game... Maybe a bit less of a point scorer in his prime... but he will add to this more grit, and more leadership (believe it or not... that's how I see him)

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I am wondering if there is a sligth possibility that Chip ends up an Arnott type player that could eventualy center our second line..?
I definitely think it's possible. That's his max out potential, a good, two-way, big, strong, second line centerman.

At this point, third line is a better bet, but we'll see how he does with a full pro season next year.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Habs13

He'll probably end up a 3rd line center in Montreal because of the depth we have in our prospects... time will be the ultimate judgethough.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
He'll probably end up a 3rd line center in Montreal because of the depth we have in our prospects... time will be the ultimate judgethough.
Please enlighten me on the depth of our center prospects... No top-2 line bluechip center from where I'm sitting.

As for the thread, yeah, I think Chipchura be a 2nd line center.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
eddy

I'd say 2nd line would be his ceiling potential, but I see him more as a very good 3rd line center.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
jcpenny

He could be but hes not a force offensively, he does a lot of good things but nothing special. Hes everything you want in a third liner though, some people questionned his skating, let me tell you it is not a problem anymore.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:29 PM
KaptainKourage*

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
Hes not even a lock for the 3rd line so
I think its better to except the minimum for prospect, so we can some surprise sometime (pleky)

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Not sure, but would Jeff halpern be a good comparison??

A guy that is an excellent third line centre, yet can be placed on the second and produce decently.

Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
He cant skate like Linden or Arnot but is a better passer and has better vision with Cojones and fortitude and work ethic second to none. One poster here described his puck distribution skills from the corner and it one of the things he does well. He has great anticipation. If he goes in front during the power play he will do well. It is also possible that his skating will improve

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
He could be but hes not a force offensively, he does a lot of good things but nothing special. Hes everything you want in a third liner though, some people questionned his skating, let me tell you it is not a problem anymore.
I think that he can be a force offensively as he can pass, has great vision and can shoot accurately. Im still not sure about his skating though.

Old
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
All-Star

Chipchura is the type of player who appears to have the work ethic and drive to continually improve (the little things) from season to season. I see him as becoming a top-end 3rd liner who can play in any situation; the kind of player coaches rely on in the last thirty seconds of a 1 - 0 game seven of the Stanley Cup Final...

I'd much rather have an offensive dynamo on the second line. If the Habs decide to keep Grabovsky at center, I'd rather see a guy like him on the second line.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:50 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Possibly but not likely. All depends on the points he can put up in the NHL. If he can rach 60+pts then sure, if not count him more as the third line center.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
Possibly but not likely. All depends on the points he can put up in the NHL. If he can rach 60+pts then sure, if not count him more as the third line center.
Isnt this the question reformulate??

Obviously if he can become a 2nd line center, it will be because he can put up the points...

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Well I would say YES based on the fact that I always thought Higgins would be nothing more than a great 3rd liner.....Since I think Chipper will be nothing more than a great 3rd liner.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I think it's entirely possible. Anytime I see him in All-Star or WJC type settings it always seems like he has a strong knack for making the right little plays to help his linemates get scoring chances. He has surprisingly good vision and a good ability to work the puck down low, even if he lacks a lot of polish on his own finishing skills. He sure didn't have much talent to feed in Prince Albert. But I could imagine that if he finds the right situation one day with the right talent on his wings, he could put up a surprising number of points, worthy of the "2nd line" nametag. And then, like the Muller or Linden types, his production could seemingly crash overnight if he was no longer in that role with those right productive linemates. But it wouldn't lessen his value to a team one bit, either way.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

I hope he ends up nothing like Arnott. The more I see him the more I like him. Great character guy, works hard, is a smart player that knows where to be and what to do. He's got good strength, plays physical, good vision and playmaking skills. I think he needs work on his shot but he will score some goals around the net.

For me it's I'd rather see him on the 3rd line then the 2nd. I think it says a lot about our team if Chipchura is on our 3rd line years from now, instead of him being on the 2nd. Not that line numbers really matter but hopefully we have a 2nd line center that can put up a lot of points.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Clumsyhab

I really hope he could end up as good as Jarret Stoll.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm not yet convinced that Chipchura could score enough to be a second line center. Let's see how well he does in Hamilton. I might be persuaded if he matches Plekanec's AHL stats.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
I really hope he could end up as good as Jarret Stoll.
That would make the next 5-7 years more comfortable.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Toro

If Chipchura does not make the canadiens this year i believe he will center hamiltons second line behind Locke.

If he makes the Canadiens i believe he will start on the 4th line. but could easliy get a chance on the second line in the middle of the season if Ribs still has not been upgraded and is not working. But so could pleks get a chance on the second line.

Chip can play up to any players calibre i think. If he was paired with Kovalev and kostitsin that would be interesting

A nice big strong center for kovalev and our second line.

P.S. Mathew Aubin In the CHL is a pretty big center with a lot of ofensive upside heading for Hamilton next season i think.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Darz

Considering Chip's age, he could still become a first liner....who knows.

I mean at the same age, Brett Hull's potential was that an AHL'er. Chris Chelios at 20 years old, sure didn't convince alot of hockey people that he was a hall of fame, Norris trophy winning dman. This list could go on and on. A lot of 20 year old kids are able to improve their game by leaps and bounds are a yearly basis, so.....

Alot depends on how Chipchura adjusts to pro hockey, and if he has the ability to improve his game in certain areas. So far what I've seen of him, I think if he could improve his skating skills a little, I think he could definately be a second liner. Who knows, maybe a top two line winger could be his calling. To early to tell. I think this upcoming year will make things alot clearer.

05-30-2006, 08:25 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Chip is comparable to Brian Skrudland and Kirk Muller with good puck distribution skills and great hockey sense.

Old
05-30-2006, 08:30 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Considering Chip's age, he could still become a first liner....who knows.

I mean at the same age, Brett Hull's potential was that an AHL'er. Chris Chelios at 20 years old, sure didn't convince alot of hockey people that he was a hall of fame, Norris trophy winning dman. This list could go on and on. A lot of 20 year old kids are able to improve their game by leaps and bounds are a yearly basis, so.....

Alot depends on how Chipchura adjusts to pro hockey, and if he has the ability to improve his game in certain areas. So far what I've seen of him, I think if he could improve his skating skills a little, I think he could definately be a second liner. Who knows, maybe a top two line winger could be his calling. To early to tell. I think this upcoming year will make things alot clearer.
Chelios was MVP in the sjhl as someone with no hockey experience and by the first year in college they knew they had something special. Serge said chelios was a big reason in trading Langway and Engblom. A lil history. What is so intriquing about Chip is that he only has to improve his skating to be very good. He also is rarely out of position he is so smart and he is very good in the corners.