HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"YouŽll never walk alone" in MSG?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2006, 09:30 AM
  #1
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
"YouŽll never walk alone" in MSG?

Now I know , I know.. its another euro thing, but wouldnt it be great to hear 18.000 people singing Youll never walk alone in the garden?
Id love to adopt it from the liverpoolians especially since this song perfectly fits the rangers (well ok i have to admit it fits perfectly to any team, cept the isles or devils).

Can somebody please start to play or sing it in the garden?? please? please?

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
  #2
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Nah, we need something more manly, something upbeat, something women, children and old ladies can dance to......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHpe...r.%20belvedere

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 11:39 AM
  #3
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,610
vCash: 500
You don't want to steal a song.

You want to have your own, original song.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
  #4
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
You don't want to steal a song.

You want to have your own, original song.
Too late. Rangers used Sweet Caroline this year and it's kind of the Bosox's song.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 12:11 PM
  #5
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
Too late. Rangers used Sweet Caroline this year and it's kind of the Bosox's song.
First i've heard of that, baseball uses so many songs, not like they play it every game either.

F the Met Sox, they don't even count.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 12:41 PM
  #6
dank
Registered User
 
dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
Now I know , I know.. its another euro thing, but wouldnt it be great to hear 18.000 people singing Youll never walk alone in the garden?
Id love to adopt it from the liverpoolians especially since this song perfectly fits the rangers (well ok i have to admit it fits perfectly to any team, cept the isles or devils).

Can somebody please start to play or sing it in the garden?? please? please?
get out of my garden, MSG is the home of the Blueshirts, and i love the Blues, so no Bin Dipping.. thanks..

plus we have Sweet Caroline which is really exciting and amazing to hear in MSG when everyone is excited..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
  #7
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
i dunno. its just weird when i hear a soccer song or chant going on at a hockey game. when i saw nyr-mon in montreal, the fans were singing ole ole..and i felt that it just didn't fit the surroundings. you'll never walk alone in msg? that belongs in anfield. what's next, the fields of athenrye?

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
  #8
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
You don't want to steal a song.
Especially a Scouse song. Yick no.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
  #9
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
psh... you guys are real partypoopers

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 08:29 PM
  #10
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
psh... you guys are real partypoopers
No, we're not; we just want to have our own rituals and not import them from somewhere else.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 12:52 AM
  #11
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Love Neil Diamond, love the Rangers, just really wish we chose another song this year. I don't know about where you guy's live, but by me, that song's been the anthem of every drunkin idiot, at everybar, everynight, for at least 7 years that I know of. If I never hear half a bar in unison going da da daaaa, and so good so good, again it's too soon.


That being said I like the way MSG showed the Rangers going back to the dressing room after the win.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 07:08 AM
  #12
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
^ speakes the truth, but Lu, when you hear it at a game it adds to the excitment a tad bit no? So I say fight the drunk, unless you are one of them in which case I wouldnt be to suprised

I think using that song is good also because it came from one of the guys in the locker room and they ALL agreed that it should be a victory song. Shows to me a good group of guys who like to have fun. I'm guessing it was Kasper that put it on first, him or Neimo.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
  #13
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Do you think Rangers fans are the closest thing to ultras/houligans in north american pro sports? I think the Raiders fans are the only ones that could challenge.

Rangers ultras!

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
  #14
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,711
vCash: 500
Its hard if not impossible to do something like that in pro sports in the US. Everywhere else things like that are organized by supporer clubs Young people following their clubs 24/7, if like 1/10 of the arena starts singing a song its enough. Its to expensive to do something like that in NY.

Its too bad because for example the atmosphere on a boring soccergame in England can be worth the ticket price by it self.

Its pretty interesting, the most constructive thing that are yelled in the MSG is "Potvin sucks", which is a true classic. Other then that I don't know about much, "beat your wife" to Daneyko is a seldom exception.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
  #15
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
I'd love to experience an atmosphere like that. I pretty much follow the Rangers 24/7

One question for the euros here- If you are an ultra for an English club team, but your best players are say, Brazilian, and you thought England's national team wouldn't do well, would you ever consider rooting for Brazil in the world cup the way many of us here were rooting for Sweden and Czech in the olympics?

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 07:28 PM
  #16
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Its hard if not impossible to do something like that in pro sports in the US. Everywhere else things like that are organized by supporer clubs Young people following their clubs 24/7, if like 1/10 of the arena starts singing a song its enough. Its to expensive to do something like that in NY.

Its too bad because for example the atmosphere on a boring soccergame in England can be worth the ticket price by it self.

Its pretty interesting, the most constructive thing that are yelled in the MSG is "Potvin sucks", which is a true classic. Other then that I don't know about much, "beat your wife" to Daneyko is a seldom exception.
The "beat your wife" chant is also about Potvin. And there are many other things chanted during a game, depending on the situation. The crowd more than able to keep itself amused during a game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 07:43 PM
  #17
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
johnny,

some family members and friends of mine are very fanatical supporters of a european club, one whose captain is serbian. needless to say, they are supporting serbia, as their own country missed out on qualification

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 08:31 PM
  #18
yarre
Registered User
 
yarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
I'd love to experience an atmosphere like that. I pretty much follow the Rangers 24/7

One question for the euros here- If you are an ultra for an English club team, but your best players are say, Brazilian, and you thought England's national team wouldn't do well, would you ever consider rooting for Brazil in the world cup the way many of us here were rooting for Sweden and Czech in the olympics?
Can't speak for any englishmen but I don't see why anyone would root for another country just because they don't like their own chances... I dont think Sweden will ever win the WC in fotball (we have been to the finals once though) but I am sure as hell going to cheer them on everytime they play. And after Sweden is eliminated, pick the team whose fans you like the most or who plays the most attractive fotball. I think most people do like that, I doubt the british would cheer for another team while their team is still in it.

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 01:17 AM
  #19
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHendrik35
^ speakes the truth, but Lu, when you hear it at a game it adds to the excitment a tad bit no? So I say fight the drunk, unless you are one of them in which case I wouldnt be to suprised

I think using that song is good also because it came from one of the guys in the locker room and they ALL agreed that it should be a victory song. Shows to me a good group of guys who like to have fun. I'm guessing it was Kasper that put it on first, him or Neimo.
Indeed, indeed, just a sucky coincidence for me I guess. Especially since most of the team ain't from round these here parts. Don't get me wrong pretty much everything that goes down in the garden is fun to be a part of. This is just general going out for a night out and hearing it kinda thing. Basically, I'm just saying I'm sick of that song, it's been played to death.

"So I say fight the drunk, unless you are one of them in which case I wouldnt be to suprised "

- Whaddya tryin to say ? Never touch the stuff

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 01:35 AM
  #20
streen1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to streen1000
I've been thinking about this for a while, but european fan culture seems so much more organised and, how should i say this, "better" in a way, compared to american fan culture. In the US fans do buy the jerseys, they do chant the basic lets go rangers, and maybe the odd potvin sucks. But there are no seating areas in the arenas that are reserved for just the fans for example. And there isn't the same amount of organisation of things fans can do together during games. In europe regardless of the sport, fan groups plan, organise and execute pretty cool things for different games and different opponents. In the US, the teams' often have to do it themselves if they want the fans to be a part of "something more organised". At least this is how i've seen it when i've been to games in the US compared to european sports.

In a way it seems like in the states you go to see a game and thats it, while in europe even the audience is a big part of the experience

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 02:05 AM
  #21
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by streen1000
I've been thinking about this for a while, but european fan culture seems so much more organised and, how should i say this, "better" in a way, compared to american fan culture. In the US fans do buy the jerseys, they do chant the basic lets go rangers, and maybe the odd potvin sucks. But there are no seating areas in the arenas that are reserved for just the fans for example. And there isn't the same amount of organisation of things fans can do together during games. In europe regardless of the sport, fan groups plan, organise and execute pretty cool things for different games and different opponents. In the US, the teams' often have to do it themselves if they want the fans to be a part of "something more organised". At least this is how i've seen it when i've been to games in the US compared to european sports.

In a way it seems like in the states you go to see a game and thats it, while in europe even the audience is a big part of the experience
Very true. As far as I can tell it's cultural for the most part, and at the risk of starting a large debate here, capitalism plays a part. For as much as you'll hear it's for the fans, this or that, pro sports is a very serious buisness here. Also maybe it's because I live in NY but people tend to be closer in other places. In Europe you also have the pride factor. People rally as a nation. We do that for wars and the largest of things, but not much else. For example this past olympics ratings were horrible. We're all very independent, and everything here is about the next big thing, maybe that's it. It's hard to say for sure. Maybe we just don't really have a way to organize on a large scale. I don't know, but I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streen1000
But there are no seating areas in the arenas that are reserved for just the fans for example.
Well all the seats are really for the fans, though none are reserved. Not too sure what you mean. If you have season tickets you can get first crack at playoff tickets, but that's about it. Seating goes by where you can afford to sit, and how quick or creative you are at getting seats.


Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 06-02-2006 at 02:55 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 05:23 AM
  #22
yarre
Registered User
 
yarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby


Well all the seats are really for the fans, though none are reserved. Not too sure what you mean. If you have season tickets you can get first crack at playoff tickets, but that's about it. Seating goes by where you can afford to sit, and how quick or creative you are at getting seats.
What he means is that in Europe we have special sections for hard-core fans, the ones that bring in the atmosphere, gathering them together to make them even louder and more fantastic.

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
  #23
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
What about the blue seats at MSG? Or the bleachers at Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field? Or the black hole at the Oakland Coliseum? Or the Dawg Pound at Cleveland Browns Stadium?

For the most part, places you wouldn't want to sit with the wife and kids.

I'm sure none of these can compare to what they have in europe, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
  #24
streen1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to streen1000
well yeah sorta like places at yankee stadium etc. But they are still a little different. Like this hockey team in finland that i sort of support (jokerit, and by sort of i mean im not usually too intrested since the rangers are my hockey numero uno team) has this special area of their arena specifically for fans. Its the "visiting" end so for two periods the opponents goalie is there, and its from ice up to the press box level. Seats not in the fan area that are at the same distance from the ice are like 25 euro:s, while seats there are 13 euro:s. Also, they do enforce it that it stays as a jokerit-fans only area, so if you're "caught" supporting the other team (and i dont mean clapping or some odd shouts but basically totally being anti-jokerit and pro-opponent loudly or wearing a jersey of the other team etc) the security guys will remove u and send u to another seat if there are available ones.

Jokerit fans also do big "demonstrations" such as having these 30 meter long signs that stretch the distance of the fan area with different texts on it. Also they have alot of these huge flags they wave when the team scores etc.

Now i know other teams have way cooler fan things they do, and especially in soccer, but im just telling this since its what im most familiar with.

In my opinion it would be great if ranger fans "united" a bit more in some sort of way. Have special "demostrations" when the islanders or flyers come to town and not just chant the basic stuff. Its odd how even a small portion of the crowd that is totally 100% pro-rangers and in the same area can make alot more noise etc compared to what a huge audience of ranger fans here there everywhere can do. Also once that specific part of the crowd gets going, heck, many others will join in from around the building anyway.

Finally, just saying that, wouldn't it be better if rangers fans CONSTANTLY were chanting/singing/doing something together, instead of a maximum 10 "lets go rangers" a game?

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 11:09 AM
  #25
OleOleOleOleBureBure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
I've been saying this for a long time!!! Great Idea. Just look at my name here on HF. I tried this when bure was playing and people looked at me like i was from mars. There are so many people from SOCCER CULTURE that are NYR fans and who attand games, we should definately come up with a chant. copying someone else is ok, thats how it starts. later on we come up with originals. so here is the million dollar question: how do we start it???? here is my chant:: just like in liverpool when they sing L I V E R P O O L , L I V E R P O O L --- for same melody we should sing J A R O M I R, J A R O M I R. or even N E W Y O R K, N E W Y O R K

LETS JUST DO IT ALREADY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
Now I know , I know.. its another euro thing, but wouldnt it be great to hear 18.000 people singing Youll never walk alone in the garden?
Id love to adopt it from the liverpoolians especially since this song perfectly fits the rangers (well ok i have to admit it fits perfectly to any team, cept the isles or devils).

Can somebody please start to play or sing it in the garden?? please? please?

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.