HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What is Kovalev's worth?

Old
05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
What is Kovalev's worth?

Posted this on the main boards but wanted an unbalanced opinion from Habs fan.

Kovalev's value in a trade. Not if, not why, not for who, this is hypothetical. I'm just a curious guy, I don't really have the power to trade him.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Habsaku

Three cookies and probably either a decent prospect and a pick or an established talent who's production and salary is similar to his. Palffy at the start of the year for example or Demitra.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 07:58 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

They better be some damn good cookies.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Shabutie

I'm definitely not Kovalev's biggest fan, but I don't think the guy should be traded cuz his value isn't the greatest. Imo he'd get us a decent prospect but not much more.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
KaptainKourage*

Jozef Balej

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Habs13

He's worth more playing for us then on the market, imo.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

All Kovalev did is score the most playoff goals for the Habs in '04 and '06. If only he took lessons from Ribeiro and learned how not to score, then all his critics would love him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
All Kovalev did is score the most playoff goals for the Habs in '04 and '06. If only he took lessons from Ribeiro and learned how not to score, then all his critics would love him.
In the other thread, you mentioned how you hate threads that bash players. So why do you make such a comment? He asked a simple question, which wasn't meant to bash Kovalev it was simply to know how we had him valued.

Old
05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
I agree with Shabutie, but will say that this comment made me laugh.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
In the other thread, you mentioned how you hate threads that bash players. So why do you make such a comment? He asked a simple question, which wasn't meant to bash Kovalev it was simply to know how we had him valued.
I was answering your post, although obliquely. You say Kovalev has little value elsewhere, but you fail to apprecioate his value to the Habs. He can score in the playoffs, and the Habs don't have anyone else who does. I say he's saddled with linemates who are no help to him. Put him with a great center, and your eyes would open wide.

Old
05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I was answering your post, although obliquely. You say Kovalev has little value elsewhere, but you fail to apprecioate his value to the Habs. He can score in the playoffs, and the Habs don't have anyone else who does. I say he's saddled with linemates who are no help to him. Put him with a great center, and your eyes would open wide.
I do bash him on occasion, only cuz I know that he's our best player, and some nights doesn't play like it. I don't think putting him with a great center would make him far better. He was nearly a PPG player, and admitely said that he was happy with Ribs as his center. I don't think they're a great match together, cuz they both like to carry the puck, and 1 has little scoring touch (ribs). Anywho, as I was saying, Kovalev has more value on the team, than he would fetch on the market.

Old
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
It's funny, had Kovalev been elsewhere, people would claim he is worth so much more, but since he is with us, he's not worth much... A 32yo, ultra-talented winger at 4.5M a year for 3 years?? I say he's worth a star player of equal value, no less. A ppg+ player, with experience and a comparable salary. Palffy and Demitra were good examples, perhaps Glen Murray, if not with Boston, could be on that list. Even then, I think Murray is not worth Kovalev at that point, he could be a bargain right now if matched with the right centre. But I would keep Kovalev at all cost, the guy is a superb player and still among the most talented in the whole league.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler
It's funny, had Kovalev been elsewhere, people would claim he is worth so much more, but since he is with us, he's not worth much... A 32yo, ultra-talented winger at 4.5M a year for 3 years?? I say he's worth a star player of equal value, no less. A ppg+ player, with experience and a comparable salary. Palffy and Demitra were good examples, perhaps Glen Murray, if not with Boston, could be on that list. Even then, I think Murray is not worth Kovalev at that point, he could be a bargain right now if matched with the right centre. But I would keep Kovalev at all cost, the guy is a superb player and still among the most talented in the whole league.
He's perhaps worth a PPG player with a bigger contract (say 6m$). However, I don't think it would be worth it.

Old
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Kovalev is here. Let's enjoy him, not dissect him.

Old
05-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

We can get something ok for him a good second line player and a prospect..

I think and I am willing to bet that next season at some point in the Bell Centre #27 will get booooed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I do bash him on occasion, only cuz I know that he's our best player, and some nights doesn't play like it. I don't think putting him with a great center would make him far better. He was nearly a PPG player, and admitely said that he was happy with Ribs as his center. I don't think they're a great match together, cuz they both like to carry the puck, and 1 has little scoring touch (ribs). Anywho, as I was saying, Kovalev has more value on the team, than he would fetch on the market.
I generally don't have much to quibble about with your posts, but I can't understand why you continually give Ribeiro a free pass yet pound Kovalev for showing the same inconsistancy.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 08:35 AM
habfan4

It's tough to gauge his worth without asking about specific players, he has undisputed talent and is a proven playoff preformer. His salary is reasonable, but certainly not bargain basement. He'd fetch another veteran winger of similar skill and salary.

What Kovalev is worth to the Habs, is credibility on the UFA market. He could have left but choose to stay in Montréal, he symbolizes the fact that the Canadiens are back and that they are capable of attracting and keeping talent.

Old
05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
I generally don't have much to quibble about with your posts, but I can't understand why you continually give Ribeiro a free pass yet pound Kovalev for showing the same inconsistancy.
Cuz to me it doesn't make sens to put all the blame on someone who's only in his "2nd" season. I've knocked on Ribs a few times, when I see no effort. Kovalev, like I said is our best player, and people consider him a "leader", however he takes 1/2 the nights off. It's just frustrating some nights.

Old
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

Kovalev was a free agent in a market that included some notable players, including Pavol Demitra, Glen Murray, Paul Kariya, and Teemu Selanne, among others. Gainey saw Kovalev as the one that best suited the Habs. There might be grousing about why Selanne in particular wasn't targeted, but at the time Selanne appeared to be on his last legs (literally) and he was obliged to accept a lowball offer. I for one am glad the Habs took Kovalev, particularly since he has a history of showing up in the playoffs. Who else on the Habs does?

Old
05-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Cuz to me it doesn't make sens to put all the blame on someone who's only in his "2nd" season. I've knocked on Ribs a few times, when I see no effort. Kovalev, like I said is our best player, and people consider him a "leader", however he takes 1/2 the nights off. It's just frustrating some nights.
Talk about frustration, Ribs takes entire postseasons off.

Old
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
22SteveBegin22

Everyone knows Kovy takes nights off... we knew it when we signed him. But, he's one of the only players on the team who can score goals that no one else in that same position at that same moment could have scored. In other words, many of Ryder's goals were scored because Ryder put himself in the right place and buried a rebound or took a quality pass and roofed it or whatever, but if it had been any other decent forward swapping places with him at that moment, they would have scored the same goal.. it's just that Ryder has a good sense for putting himself in position to score those goals, which is a skill in itself. But with Kovalev, in addition to having that sense for putting himself in scoring positions, he can also make things happen that other players in that same place and time could not.

Also, I don't like to bring this up because it shouldn't matter from a hockey perspective, but let's be honest -- even when he's not scoring, Kovalev is worth the price of admission almost every night. He makes plays while carrying the puck that only a small handful of people in the whole world can make. That, to me, is always entertaining whether or not it results in goals.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
habfan4

Quote:
2nd season Ribs played over 40 games in 2001-2002 and over 50 games in 2002-2003 (he's played in excess of 270 total games in the NHL). Sorry the 2nd season excuse is not cutting it.

In terms of Kovalev, every game where he doesn't show up on the scoreboard someone accuses the guy of taking the night off. He might not be dazzling or 100% for 82 regular season games, but saying he takes every other night off is absurd.

Old
05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
2nd season Ribs played over 40 games in 2001-2002 and over 50 games in 2002-2003 (he's played in excess of 270 total games in the NHL). Sorry the 2nd season excuse is not cutting it.
When I say 2nd season, I mean 2nd season which he's been depended upon. How many ppl knew his name in 01-02 or 02-03?

Quote:
In terms of Kovalev, every game where he doesn't show up on the scoreboard someone accuses the guy of taking the night off. He might not be dazzling or 100% for 82 regular season games, but saying he takes every other night off is absurd.
Then I wonder why Gainey would say that Kovalev could do more? Kovalev doesn't give his 100% every night, it's well known.

Old
05-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Talk about frustration, Ribs takes entire postseasons off.
Ahh yes, cuz he didn't find the scoreboard more often, Ribs slept during the playoffs. If you recorded the games, do yourself a favor and watch them over.

Old
05-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:

Ribeiro was 23-24 years old in what Shabutie calls his first season. I also consider Ribeiro last season as his 2nd true one. That guy was calls up way to fast, we are usually bashing the habs for bringing the young guys to slowly in the nhl, well Ribeiro is the exception. I wouldnt consider Ribeiro an experience player because he was playing 40-50 games at 4 min. a game before 2003-2004. Hardly.
_____--

As for Kovalev, my favorite post was 22SteveBegin22 one. True, Kovalev is not playing at the same level every single game, he said so himself that you cant play at his playoffs level for a whole 82 games. But the opponent still have to cover him on a nightly basis or he will burn them, this alone, helps the rest of the team in each game.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote