HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Ice!? ha

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
Edmonton Ice!? ha

I've lost track of how many times on this board and other places I've heard people express the hope that maybe a player to be acquired might have more success once they're playing in Edmonton because of the ice there. I've even heard Kevin Lowe express this. So there's good ice in Edmonton so good skaters will have more success... I understand the premise... but I'm not sure I buy it -for example, am I to believe that Todd Marchant was concerned about the impact no longer playing on "Edmonton Ice" might have on his ability to perform when leaving Edmonton or that opposing players that are the best skaters do better when they play in Edmonton? I don't doubt that all players appreciate quality ice like there is in Edmonton, but I find it ridiculous that some people think that it alone is going to make a significant difference on players' careers. I'm sure if we were to look back we could find some significant examples of good skaters who have done just as well or better after leaving Edmonton. Might it have a small impact? Sure, let's just not allow IT to unrealistically raise our hopes that players might be better once in Edmonton. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

Old
11-06-2003, 11:36 AM
oildrop

Sure the ice in Edmonton isn't going to make a player tons better but it will help. They get to play 41 games on the quick ice in Edmonton and guys like Dvorak and Hemsky can take advantage of it. Ask Dvorak about the ice and I bet he says he does better playing on Edmonton ice then he did on the ice in New York. It's not going to make their careers a whole bunch better but it does help a little bit. Players do play better on better ice, it's a known fact.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:37 AM
copperandblue

Good ice is not just about helping good skaters. Good ice is just as much about helping good puck handlers.

Certainly there is some merit to skating on hard ice VS getting bogged down in slush but that is not the extent.

If the ice is hard, takes longer to get rutted and the water from flooding between periods frezzes more quickly then players that have the ability to handle the puck should thrive because the puck is less likely to bounce on them or stick at the beginning of periods.

That's why the comparison to Marchant thriving on good ice and a guy like Modano (every time Dallas plays here they talk about it) thriving on good ice aren't good. Marchant can skate but handles the puck like a hand grenade where as Modano can do both.

On a side note, has anyone ever wondered just how bad the ice around the league must be for Skyreach to be considered the best?
Personally for me it's got to rank as one of the worst places I've ever played a game, nothing beats the small cold neighbourhood or small town rinks in the area imo.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

ask Mike Modano about our ice.

Closed Thread