HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oil @ Sens --Nov 6th

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 05:20 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
I feel it's huge coming from behind on the Sens scoring 2 goals.

They played it simple after it was tied 3-3, yet still got some quality scoring chances. I hope they remember that.

I agree with Dawgbone about the offensive plays the Oilers having been making in OT.

Still making some errors out there but overall as an Oiler fan you have to be pretty happy that the Oilers could come back.

Today I was gonna say when is Conklin gonna get another go? But I'm not so sure I would want to take Salo out just when he seems to be finding his game.

Big point.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Hossa should be the first star for sure, he made some rushes which almost resulted in goals. I think Prusek or Salo should get some mention for the stars.

Good game by Edmonton, some sloppy uncharacteristic turnovers by Ottawa cost them the two points and almost the game.
So what does Muckler do now?

He was throwing out ultimatums left and right prior to this game, and now they've tied a game that they were fortunate not to lose. So now what?

Old
11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

He was throwing out ultimatums left and right prior to this game, and now they've tied a game that they were fortunate not to lose. So now what?
He was hardly throwing ultimatums. Just trying to light a fire under the sens considering their lackadaisical play the last few games.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:

could you imagine the uproar if it was the oilers who gave up a 2 goal lead??

Old
11-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I've already noted the great play of Moreau and Pisani. Beyond which a big positive goes out to Tommy Salo. He came back from questionable early goals and barred the door later in the game. This has to be a confident builder for him. Brewer imo played his best game of the year. Solid puckhandling, aggressive attacking, and generally good play in his own end. Add in at least one big hit. And an overall plus for the team in roaring back. Finally, did I hear the Oilers actually won more faceoffs than Ottawa?

A minus goes out to the Sportsnet producer who oversaw tonight's telecast. Very poor work in directing the on-air action and viewers caught way too many closeups of players leaving the ice - instead of following the play. Very poor work.

I don't mean to dump on Shawn Horcoff but his play tonight was uninspiring. Given opportunity for firstline play, Horcoff continues to be weak on the puck. Missed a key defensive assignment which resulted in a quality scoring chance. I keep hoping for his breakout but unfortunately feel this guy looks destined to be a poor man's Rem Murray. Hemsky didn't help any with a poor outing.

Minor points in a night which should be celebrated. A big character building and in stark contrast to past performances where the Oilers failed to respond and the floodgates opened (St. Louis, Colorado).

Old
11-06-2003, 05:40 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Why did Hemsky play only 9 minutes?

Old
11-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
Because he played terribly tonight and had numerous horrendous giveaways..

Old
11-06-2003, 05:46 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Nice dive, Sarno!

Somewhere out there, Forsberg is smiling.
Yep I love how he stuck his arms out at the last minute. I thought for sure he was going to get called for diving.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:49 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
Nice Darcy Tucker avatar.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:53 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The more I watch that Salo play, the more I actually think he might have made the initial right play.

He isn't a good puck handler, so I don't blame him for not trying to put it past Hossa, and you can't smother the puck out there, because it is a penalty... the only thing you can fault him on is not getting back into his net on time.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:54 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Nice Darcy Tucker avatar.
LOL!!!!

Old
11-06-2003, 05:58 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The more I watch that Salo play, the more I actually think he might have made the initial right play.

He isn't a good puck handler, so I don't blame him for not trying to put it past Hossa, and you can't smother the puck out there, because it is a penalty... the only thing you can fault him on is not getting back into his net on time.
Brewer could have had another step on him I'm sure. Some guys woulda sprawled on the ice to intercept anything after the turn-over too. Or if anything to give Salo more time. Oh well.

Bad read by both players. But both players had a better outing than usual afterwards.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines

A minus goes out to the Sportsnet producer who oversaw tonight's telecast. Very poor work in directing the on-air action and viewers caught way too many closeups of players leaving the ice - instead of following the play. Very poor work.
That was the dumbest thing I ever saw, at one point there they were showing J Smith just lollygagging his way to the bench while there was an Oiler flying in on the right wing.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
That was the dumbest thing I ever saw, at one point there they were showing J Smith just lollygagging his way to the bench while there was an Oiler flying in on the right wing.
they did that twice in the 3rd i believe

Old
11-06-2003, 07:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
they did that twice in the 3rd i believe
You mean seeing Jason Smith going to the bench wasn't the highlight of the night? They sure gave it that kinda air-time

Old
11-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
He was hardly throwing ultimatums. Just trying to light a fire under the sens considering their lackadaisical play the last few games.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=59593

Yeah, after reading that I guess 'ultimatum' isn't the right word...more like a warning shot to get his players' attentions?

He can't be too happy tonight though.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Tidus

Just got back from the game a couple hours ago. Just a couple thoughts... Cross needs to sit another game, he simply couldn't keep up with guys like Hossa all night long. Hemsky was completely invisible all night long.... he didn't get a shift all OT long, and probably didnt deserve to. On the positive side, Torres was outstanding, hitting guys and finishing his checks all night long... too bad he couldn't have scored on that nice little breakaway play he made. We also had a few pretty loud "lets go oilers" chants going. Lots of Oiler fans out tonite.

Salo had an off and on night, but I think his mistakes out weigh the good this time. Someone please tell me why he thinks it would be a good idea to stack the pads on a breakaway every time? And some people were blaming everyone but Salo on the goal where he gave it to Hossa. Well guess what? Hossa was behind the D and THEN Salo gave it right to him. He has become way too predictable. I'm not saying trade him or find a replacement... yet. I hope he continues to improve.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Historically, the Oil have done well at the Corel Centre.

I say 3-3 tie.

Ottawa: Chara, Havlat and Spezza(PP)
Edmonton: Dvorak, Smyth(PP) and York
Got the score right...and the scorers....completely wrong.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:02 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
Salo had an off and on night, but I think his mistakes out weigh the good this time. Someone please tell me why he thinks it would be a good idea to stack the pads on a breakaway every time? And some people were blaming everyone but Salo on the goal where he gave it to Hossa. Well guess what? Hossa was behind the D and THEN Salo gave it right to him. He has become way too predictable. I'm not saying trade him or find a replacement... yet. I hope he continues to improve.
He didn't stack the pads against Hossa on his breakaway...

No one blamed solely the defense on that play, but they have to know that Salo doesn't handle the puck well, and that the only place he will put it is in the corner. He maybe telegraphed it a bit, but Brewer still should have been there to the puck before Hossa... a defenceman has to know what his goaltender does with the puck.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:00 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
absolutely wrong dawgbone, the best play would have been to put the puck behind the net not in front. salo i think i stress think he tried to do that but it rolled awkwardly towards the side boards. definitely not brewers fault just a mistake by salo, other than that he played great.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Yanner39

How about if Salo just shoots the puck out of the zone to no one, then Hossa's caught in the zone. I mean he had enough time. That would have been the safest play. Anyways, he played awesome after that.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:05 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
precisely doctor. he made a mistake but he stoned many guys particularly hossa on many occasions.

Closed Thread