HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa sign Holmqvist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
  #1
The n00b King ©*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,861
vCash: 500
Tampa sign Holmqvist

interesting news indeed...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205538.html

things are looking tricky now concerning Aebi or any other goalie now arent they?

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
  #2
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
interesting news indeed...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205538.html

things are looking tricky now concerning Aebi or any other goalie now arent they?
Not just tricky...more like impossible. See, Tampa had the plan all along. They still have Burke under contract, and now they have Norrena and Holmqvist to duke it out for the other spot. Cheap, near-minimum contracts to goalies like this will always be the way to go rather than picking up an Aebischer who is not any more attractive at $1.9M than these veteran Europeans. They get both of them together for half an Aebischer, and who knows, either of them could be just as good. They get to find out during the course of most of next season. And if they find the experiment fails and they still need somebody, they pick them up nearer to the deadline when a good chunk of their salary has already been paid out and it doesn't affect their cap. Makes sense.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
  #3
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Abby will be the starter of the habs this season

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM
  #4
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 22,614
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Not just tricky...more like impossible. See, Tampa had the plan all along. They still have Burke under contract, and now they have Norrena and Holmqvist to duke it out for the other spot. Cheap, near-minimum contracts to goalies like this will always be the way to go rather than picking up an Aebischer who is not any more attractive at $1.9M than these veteran Europeans. They get both of them together for half an Aebischer, and who knows, either of them could be just as good. They get to find out during the course of most of next season. And if they find the experiment fails and they still need somebody, they pick them up nearer to the deadline when a good chunk of their salary has already been paid out and it doesn't affect their cap. Makes sense.
Make sense ? People bash the Flyers for not getting a goalie and their backup would be the clearcut no1 on Tampa . If im Tampa i would be pissed , unless there something we dont know about Norrena and Homlqvist i really doubt they are on teh same level as Aebischer .

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:42 PM
  #5
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates
 
X0X0A0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 29,050
vCash: 50
Homlqvist at best will be the starter in AHL, he wasn't brought in to start. Feaster has always said since the season ended that the Lightning's starting goalie will come from a trade.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
  #6
Habs514
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Now we need to start the Aebischer to Vancouver rumors.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:53 PM
  #7
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Make sense ? People bash the Flyers for not getting a goalie and their backup would be the clearcut no1 on Tampa . If im Tampa i would be pissed , unless there something we dont know about Norrena and Homlqvist i really doubt they are on teh same level as Aebischer .
They made the playoffs last year with Grahame and Burke. I figure you can't get too much worse than that. And while Norrena *AND* Holmqvist may not be on the same level as Aebischer, the possibility that just *one* of them pans out to be as good, or essentially as capable as Grahame or Burke, at 1/4 the cost... while it's for sure a worthwhile risk. It makes perfect sense to me, given the Bolts' payroll situation especially. Feaster isn't the idiot that most of you would like to believe. And he has tons of built-in safety net on this move, because there are always going to be deadline options when the salary factor is completely eliminated. That's the time to get your Giguere or Nabokov if necessary, not now. Smart all around.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 03:53 PM
  #8
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514
Now we need to start the Aebischer to Vancouver rumors.
Nope, hes off to the other florida team as part of a package for thier goalie. How long til that rumour is revisted??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 04:13 PM
  #9
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Any word if it is a one way contract? Unless he suddenly blossoms like some goalies do at around his age even older, uhummm Huet, I do not see him as the future of the Lightnings goaltending. Still might turn out to be a good move.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 04:40 PM
  #10
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,839
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
Abby will be the starter of the habs this season

I think your right,I have a feeling that Gainey will not re-sign Huet or if he does the value will be better for Gainey to trade Huet

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:03 PM
  #11
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Aebisher will not be a starter for this team, he wasnt good enough for Colorado and hes certainly not good enough for us.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:06 PM
  #12
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
some people here tend to forget that Aebischer had a stellar year in 2003-2004 and he can handle heavy work ( 60 start+) he had a rough start in 2005-2006..but still have a 2 streak of 7 win in a row...

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:10 PM
  #13
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
some people here tend to forget that Aebischer had a stellar year in 2003-2004 and he can handle heavy work ( 60 start+) he had a rough start in 2005-2006..but still have a 2 streak of 7 win in a row...
Some people also know that he had Blake, Liles, Foote and a much better team in front of him. Huet was simply better than Aebisher in every categories.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
  #14
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
i hope u will not cry when huet wil not be signed by BG...

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
  #15
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 22,614
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Some people also know that he had Blake, Liles, Foote and a much better team in front of him. Huet was simply better than Aebisher in every categories.
We saw what Aebischer is capable of , the best(Ottawa game) and the worst(Pitsburgh game) . While he was pretty exciting and solid in the back2back wins against Ottawa he was very very shaky against Pitsburgh. Most Avs fans think he's inconsistent and with a team like the Habs you need a superior goalie to calm the team and get some confidence going , Huet was amazing doing this and keeping it cool. If Abby can perform to a certain level for an extended period of time he's no worst than Huet. In an ideal world we would start the year with Abby and Huet and ride the hot hand . Moog/T-Bo & Hackett/Theo duo's worked well for us in the past so why not Abby/Huet ?

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
  #16
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
We saw what Aebischer is capable of , the best(Ottawa game) and the worst(Pitsburgh game) . While he was pretty exciting and solid in the back2back wins against Ottawa he was very very shaky against Pitsburgh. Most Avs fans think he's inconsistent and with a team like the Habs you need a superior goalie to calm the team and get some confidence going , Huet was amazing doing this and keeping it cool. If Abby can perform to a certain level for an extended period of time he's no worst than Huet. In an ideal world we would start the year with Abby and Huet and ride the hot hand . Moog/T-Bo & Hackett/Theo duo's worked well for us in the past so why not Abby/Huet ?
Even though he played great against Ottawa ( who were missing half of their Dmen and Havlat) he was extremely shaky and lucky allowing many bad rebounds and poor control. Aebi is a good goalie but he scares the heck out of me everytime hes outhere with his poor rebound control and confidence struggles. Im more comfortable with Huet cuz when things go bad you know hes not panicking.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 12:36 AM
  #17
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
i hope u will not cry when huet wil not be signed by BG...
Ok..give me one intelligent reason why not he would not sign him?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.