HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New NHL.com article on Finland-- some Flyers material

Old
06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Bill_Meltzer

vCash: 500
New NHL.com article on Finland-- some Flyers material

A look at Team Finland, with some analysis of the club by Ken Hitchcock (via a short interview I did with him last December, after the initial Olympic rosters were named).

There's also some useful links for anyone interested in Finnish hockey, Finns in the NHL and how to correctly pronounce Finnish players' names (I had previously posted the latter link here-- it's the same site).

http://www.nhl.com/features/pond/finland060106.html

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Susanna

D&?\0\0\0\0D??o some useful links for anyone interested in Finnish hockey, Finns in the NHL and how to correctly pronounce Finnish players' names (I had previously posted the latter link here-- it's the same site).

Thank you, or should I say Kiitos. As many of you know, I'm a foreign language teacher, and it bugs the crap out of me the way some TV announcers butcher names.

Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Pepper

Nice article Bill, though it was so full of praise that I almost felt embarassed. Part of the finnish psyche I guess, we're quite modest people. Which in turn might explain the work ethic (along with the german-protestant mentality)

Btw, it's a Nordic country, the only thing baltic in Finland is the Baltic sea.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 02:21 PM
bodangleroo28

reading that article and the ask hitch thing it sounds like hitch wants to have our style of play similar to finland

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Btw, it's a Nordic country, the only thing baltic in Finland is the Baltic sea.
I was looking for exactly the right descriptive word, since Finland is definitely Nordic (although not Scandinavian by strict definition) but there are shared with the Estonian language, folklore etc.

I probably should have just said Northern European and been done with it .

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer
I was looking for exactly the right descriptive word, since Finland is definitely Nordic (although not Scandinavian by strict definition) but there are shared with the Estonian language, folklore etc.

Yep, lot's of common with Estonia which is totally different compared to the other two Baltic countries (Latvia & Lithuania).

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Excellent article.

Quote:
* What if Finland could have scratched out a goal or two against Sweden in the 1998 World Championships (won 1-0 and 0-0 by the Swedes in a two-game finale)?

*sigh* We did =(
Alex Dell wrongfully disallowed it.

Quote:
* What if Finland, not the Czechs, scored in overtime to win the 2001 World Championship gold?
We never should've let them into overtime to begin with. The team froze in the third period trying to defend and stopped attacking, for a team of natural attackers like the Czechs, thats a big christmas gift.

Quote:
* What if Saku Koivu hadn't broken his stick on the opening faceoff of the third period, eventually leading to Nicklas Lidström's gold-medal winning goal for Sweden at the 2006 Olympics?
Aye, but the right team won. On the day, Sweden was better.

Quote:
* And what if Finland's only real dud at the 2006 World Championships hadn't happened in the semifinals?
True, but over here I'd rather have put the *fast* whistle of the ref when Norrena had only just caught the puck and was about to release it into play, but the whistle, the faceoff lost and a great shot.

Quote:
although a few more natural scorers wouldn't hurt).

so true, *sigh*

Quote:

One big happy tribe, there's a saying or something someone famous said. A language is a dialect with an army and a navy. The Estonian dialect has those and is a language.

I think the Finns have a complex. In Finland we always compare ourselves to someone else. We have a good company, so we compare it to a good american/swedish/german company, (if) we have a good band we compare it too. If we have a problem in parliament that needs a new law, we look at what others do and compare our problem to theirs and look at their solution. In sports, we compare oruselves to our neighbours Sweden the most of all. The only sport where we don't compare ourselves to our neighbours, is ski-jumping where we simply rule the roost and thus have no-one to compare us to.
Just last week, we had the floorball world championship final (minor sport played in maybe 10 nations) and lost a 3-1 lead to Sweden in the final to lose it in overtime. Sound familiar? Yeah, it looked familiar.

And because we compare ourselves to Sweden so much in sports, you by definition think of yourself as a poorer version in this and that of the thing you compare to, thus the mental mindset, heading into a final against our arch-rivals, is one of "we're worse than them in this and that therefore they're better and we can't make mistakes if we want to win".

I think what we need is a sports psychologist to work with the team to be honest.

England doesn't compare its football or cricket or rugby teams to others, they don't choke. They don't panick when a 3-0 lead turns into 3-2..
The same for australia, germany, sweden, holland, take your pick of a good team sports nation. They don't have this fear of messing up a 3-1 lead. They don't panick when overtime's looming but rather just start a "new game". We're unable to start that new game, unable to jump start the "game" once its been paralysed.

If Sweden leads Canada 3-0, then it's 3-3 and overtime, it's a new game.
If Finland leads anyone 3-0, then it's 3-3 and overtime, we've already lost.

I think the last time we managed to get our game back on, after losing it, was in the 1999 world championship semi-final where we somehow got our game back on in overtime and scored the winner. That's like, 7 years man.

We're choker's, and will continue to be so, until we stop comparing ourselves to others. We need to compare ourselves to ourselves, not to Sweden or any other hockey nation.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Excellent article.

*sigh* We did =(
Alex Dell wrongfully disallowed it.

We never should've let them into overtime to begin with. The team froze in the third period trying to defend and stopped attacking, for a team of natural attackers like the Czechs, thats a big christmas gift.

Aye, but the right team won. On the day, Sweden was better.

True, but over here I'd rather have put the *fast* whistle of the ref when Norrena had only just caught the puck and was about to release it into play, but the whistle, the faceoff lost and a great shot.

so true, *sigh*

One big happy tribe, there's a saying or something someone famous said. A language is a dialect with an army and a navy. The Estonian dialect has those and is a language.

I think the Finns have a complex. In Finland we always compare ourselves to someone else. We have a good company, so we compare it to a good american/swedish/german company, (if) we have a good band we compare it too. If we have a problem in parliament that needs a new law, we look at what others do and compare our problem to theirs and look at their solution. In sports, we compare oruselves to our neighbours Sweden the most of all. The only sport where we don't compare ourselves to our neighbours, is ski-jumping where we simply rule the roost and thus have no-one to compare us to.
Just last week, we had the floorball world championship final (minor sport played in maybe 10 nations) and lost a 3-1 lead to Sweden in the final to lose it in overtime. Sound familiar? Yeah, it looked familiar.

And because we compare ourselves to Sweden so much in sports, you by definition think of yourself as a poorer version in this and that of the thing you compare to, thus the mental mindset, heading into a final against our arch-rivals, is one of "we're worse than them in this and that therefore they're better and we can't make mistakes if we want to win".

I think what we need is a sports psychologist to work with the team to be honest.

England doesn't compare its football or cricket or rugby teams to others, they don't choke. They don't panick when a 3-0 lead turns into 3-2..
The same for australia, germany, sweden, holland, take your pick of a good team sports nation. They don't have this fear of messing up a 3-1 lead. They don't panick when overtime's looming but rather just start a "new game". We're unable to start that new game, unable to jump start the "game" once its been paralysed.

If Sweden leads Canada 3-0, then it's 3-3 and overtime, it's a new game.
If Finland leads anyone 3-0, then it's 3-3 and overtime, we've already lost.

I think the last time we managed to get our game back on, after losing it, was in the 1999 world championship semi-final where we somehow got our game back on in overtime and scored the winner. That's like, 7 years man.

We're choker's, and will continue to be so, until we stop comparing ourselves to others. We need to compare ourselves to ourselves, not to Sweden or any other hockey nation.
That is so true, and im not being bitter or just angry.

Sometimes it just feels that it's so easy to brake us mentaly even thou some might think otherwise.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote