HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#21: NY Rangers on the clock

View Poll Results: #21 Rangers selection?
lw Michael Forney 2 1.79%
f Cory Emmerton 6 5.36%
rw Michael Grabner 49 43.75%
rw Claude Giroux 2 1.79%
d Chris Summers 5 4.46%
g Jonathan Bernier 7 6.25%
c Ondrej Fiala 4 3.57%
d Ivan Vishnevski 6 5.36%
d Jamie McBain 0 0%
lw Jesse Joensuu 15 13.39%
lw Alexander Vasyunov 2 1.79%
c Tomas Kana 3 2.68%
d Ben Shutron 0 0%
lw Nick Foligno 6 5.36%
other (write in) 5 4.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Shremp at one point...

if I'm not mistaken, was originally slated for a possible top 10 pick. He could end up being the steal of the draft. I personally haven't seen him play so it's tough to judge, but man has he put up gaudy numbers.

I do agree with those valid reasons as about 15 other teams passed on Shremp from where he was originally going to go, mostly due to attitude. The Oilers took a big chance, which has the potential of paying off nicely.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Edge

Schremp was a tough one in his draft year.

The talent and skills were there, it was a matter of whether he'd show up, grow up and be able to make the transition.

So far he has, The Oilers were able to take a gamble at that point because of the fine work done by Lowe and his staff.

That's the point the Rangers are hopefully trying to get too, where you build enough of a core and foundation that you can take chances on players like that.

I'm not really sure if the Rangers are to that point yet, which is one reason I am skeptical to make a BIG trade at the draft.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I'm not really sure if the Rangers are to that point yet, which is one reason I am skeptical to make a BIG trade at the draft.
I would say no. The Rangers need to have another solid year of drafting and build some depth at all positions (goal included) before they can take a chance on such players.
I remember discussing both Wolsi and Schremp on draft day. Wolski would annoy most of the fans that are now clamoring for him, as his "style" is about as marshmallow-soft as it gets. He has size, but has zero desire to use it.
Shremp was pegged to be one of the top picks originally. Where he fell to, he became a great value pick to an organization that could afford to take a chance on him. The Rangers farm system was not (and stil is not) in such shape to take such chances. People are complaining about Jessiman now, but can you imagine the outcry if the took Schremp and he tanked?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The Rangers farm system was not (and stil is not) in such shape to take such chances. People are complaining about Jessiman now, but can you imagine the outcry if the took Schremp and he tanked?
So we were in shape to take a chance on Jessiman, which was a year before hand when we were nowhere near where we were at the end of the 04 season in terms of a farm system? If anything, if we were in shape to take a chance on Jessiman, we were going to be in even better shape to take a chance on Schremp, and taking a chance with a talent like Schremp wouldn't have been as bad as taking a chance on an unknown who just suddenly skyrocketed. We've gotta stop drafting those kinds of players. You can't draft a player because of a hot-streak or a short span of good hockey.

I'd feel much more comfortable taking a chance on a kid putting up great numbers in the OHL, then a kid who was a one-year wonder in a joke of a college conference.

Another thing, the whole thing about Wolski being soft, that might be the case, but when you're going to pick, I think I'd take a 6'3 190 pound player putting up good numbers in the OHL over a kid who was playing in the Finnish junior league. Korps' potential has him as a two-way first line winger at max, but I think Wolski was the more safe bet at the time, and now is looking a lot more like the pick we should have made.

Last edited by CM Lundqvist: 06-05-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: More
CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 04:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
So we were in shape to take a chance on Jessiman, which was a year before hand when we were nowhere near where we were at the end of the 04 season in terms of a farm system?
No, the Rangers were not in shape to pick Jessiman. One of the many reasons I hated that pick. There shape of the farm system on that date decried that a safer pick be taken. Especially given the outstanding talent available in the first round of that draft.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
Another thing, the whole thing about Wolski being soft, that might be the case, but when you're going to pick, I think I'd take a 6'3 190 pound player putting up good numbers in the OHL over a kid who was playing in the Finnish junior league. Korps' potential has him as a two-way first line winger at max, but I think Wolski was the more safe bet at the time, and now is looking a lot more like the pick we should have made.

I don't think you can look at it that way or else you'd never take european players until the third rounds.

And Wolski was NEVER a safe pick in any way shape or form. He was about as risky as it gets and in all honesty I'm still not a huge fan. The offensive talent is there, when he lights a fire under himself but I still a very soft player.

If anything you have them reversed. Korps is the "Safer" player because if his offensive never develops he's a safe bet for an energy third line type. Wolski is going to live and die by his ability to put points on the board.

And right now the Rangers problem still isn't scoring, it's going to be defense and discipline. For all the love affairds people have with team's with superstars and superstar prospects, the most successful team from the last 10 years was the NJ Devils. A team built on having guys fitting roles and excelling at them. They've never once had a Hart winner or a scoring crown winner at forward.

Wolski and Schremp were high risk/high reward players taken by teams who already had the depth to make the moves. The Rangers were not and still aren't.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote