HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Gets Screwed

Old
06-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Buffalo Gets Screwed

Well, "the rule" (defenseman clears the puck directly into the stands) ends up deciding the outcome of the ECF. JD has been saying all season long that this penalty was going to end up deciding a playoff game, how fitting it is that it ends up being a Game 7. This was a brilliantly played series and to see it end in such a fashion is just a shame. I have never hated the NHL as much as I do right now.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:14 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

so that put Carolina up two goals?

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

How did they get screwed?

Fine take that goal away...they stilled scored another on Miller.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
How did they get screwed?

Fine take that goal away...they stilled scored another on Miller.
The go-ahead, game winning goal was scored on a PP that was awarded because of a ridiculous, unnecessary rule. That is how they got screwed.

Also, if you think the Williams goal would have happened had the Brindamour goal not been scored, I don't know what to say to you.

I really could care less who the winner of this series was, I just hate to see it end on a cheap penalty. The series was too well played to end like that.

Old
06-01-2006, 09:23 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Who cares? The Oil are still going to roll face in the SCF.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:33 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Well, "the rule" (defenseman clears the puck directly into the stands) ends up deciding the outcome of the ECF. JD has been saying all season long that this penalty was going to end up deciding a playoff game, how fitting it is that it ends up being a Game 7. This was a brilliantly played series and to see it end in such a fashion is just a shame. I have never hated the NHL as much as I do right now.
You bet it did, and it's funny because I've been thinking all year it was going to happen. That being said, look what happened in game 6. What a marginal call that was. If I blame any game deciding call it will be the "boarding" call on Weight in Game 6. That is called 50% of the time in the regular season. But the playoffs? Overtime? Game 6 East Finals? Now that's getting screwed if you ask me. Atleast this was a clear cut illegality, and not some stupid half assed penalty call.

Carolina should have won the game 5-0 anyway, they dominated them for 90% of the game.

Last edited by nyrmessier011: 06-01-2006 at 09:41 PM.
nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:

Buffalo also got a power play with under 5 minutes to go. If their power play was anything better than mediocre they would have won the series

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Edge

It sucks but that happens in sports.

The team's who win are the team's who get a little lucky and who overcome the bad breaks.

That's the way it always has been.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Agree with you only to a point.

The rule is insufferable and should be changed. I think you'd find a lot of people (especially those of us who play on defense in our rec leagues ) who believed that even before tonight.

However, to say that Buffalo got "screwed" suggests that some injustice was done to them. It wasn't.

A rule - a lousy rule - was properly invoked and a penalty called.

Buffalo was incapable of killing off the penalty, overcoming the obstacle.

It is unquestionably a lousy way to give up a go-ahead goal in Game Seven (and this fan of neither team was hoping that a goal would not be scored on that powerplay), but life is unfair sometimes. They still had their fate in their own hands.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-02-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
WheresBarnaby

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stand Carolina, in fact I can't stand any team with a red jersey. Think of em in your head you probably do also. I was happy the knocked out the Dev's but that's it. Oh well let's go Oil's.

The first goal bothered me the most actually friggin lucky pinball shot. The 3rd goal should've been better defended.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Hockeyfan6781
Jack's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Buffalo also got a power play with under 5 minutes to go. If their power play was anything better than mediocre they would have won the series
very true.. the PP more then anything missed Connolly and it showed

Hockeyfan6781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Block More Shots

I've never been a big fan of the rule. If the play is truly blatant, call the delay of gamepenalty. If the guy was just trying to hit it off the boards and it went into the stands, there was no intent there.

Dumb rule...get rid of it. No need for it in the NHL.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
I've never been a big fan of the rule. If the play is truly blatant, call the delay of gamepenalty. If the guy was just trying to hit it off the boards and it went into the stands, there was no intent there.

Dumb rule...get rid of it. No need for it in the NHL.
Could you imagine the backlash in Buffalo if Bettman reversed that rule? The conspiracy theories would be swirling.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Agree with you only to a point.

The rule is insufferable and should be changed. I think you'd find a lot of people (especially those of us who play on defense in our rec leagues ) who believed that even before tonight.

However, to say that Buffalo got "screwed" suggests that some unjustice was done to them. It wasn't.

A rule - a lousy rule - was properly invoked and a penalty called.

Buffalo was incapable of killing off the penalty, overcoming the obstacle.

It is unquestionably a lousy way to give up a go-ahead goal in Game Seven (and this fan of neither team was hoping that a goal would not be scored on that powerplay), but life is unfair sometimes. They still had their fate in their own hands.

Just my opinion.

Once again, Trottier comes in and makes an excellent point. I guess saying that Buffalo got "screwed" is not exactly the best way to put it, but they definitely were victimized by a rule which alot of people feel should not be part of the game.

I have hated this rule since day 1, I even hated it when the Rangers used it to beat Tampa Bay in the regular season. Does everyone remember how livid Tortorella was after that game? I wonder what his reaction was tonight.

Old
06-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Could you imagine the backlash in Buffalo if Bettman reversed that rule? The conspiracy theories would be swirling.
I'm not saying that they would even consider getting rid of the rule. I just think that it's an unnecessary rule.

By the way, congrats on your team making the SC finals!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

well yes that was the major problem however carolina only really had to kill that one penalty the whole game. we were on the power play 4 times.... and twice we were called for a penalty .. u saw the game. that second penalty on kotalik was garbage.

thanks for the respect. if anything we are pissed because we lost.. and had we been healthy it would have been MUCH diffrent!

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I think, in the end, not having three of Buffalo's regular defensemen in the lineup was just too big of an obstacle to overcome. The penalty didn't help, either.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Hockeyfan6781
Jack's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
I'm not saying that they would even consider getting rid of the rule. I just think that it's an unnecessary rule.

By the way, congrats on your team making the SC finals!
thats not his team, his team went out in the first round..

sabres didnt get screwed, thats the rule.. some like the rule some dont doesnt change anything

Old
06-01-2006, 11:29 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

And what happens if the penalty is not called (which would have been incorrect) and Buffalo goes on to win the game? Carolina gets screwed.

You can't get screwed when something that has been a penalty all year long is called. Even if it is called late in game 7 of the ECF.

Now whether it should be a rule or not is a different matter entirely, but Buffalo did not get screwed by any stretch of the immagination. And let's not forget, there was still time to come back and tie it.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Hockeyfan6781
Jack's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon
And what happens if the penalty is not called (which would have been incorrect) and Buffalo goes on to win the game? Carolina gets screwed.

You can't get screwed when something that has been a penalty all year long is called. Even if it is called late in game 7 of the ECF.

Now whether it should be a rule or not is a different matter entirely, but Buffalo did not get screwed by any stretch of the immagination. And let's not forget, there was still time to come back and tie it.
agreed

Old
06-02-2006, 12:13 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Ruff will blame Kaspar for Connolly missing Game 7...

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 04:44 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Once again, Trottier comes in and makes an excellent point.
As always.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 04:50 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Once again, Trottier comes in and makes an excellent point. I guess saying that Buffalo got "screwed" is not exactly the best way to put it, but they definitely were victimized by a rule which alot of people feel should not be part of the game.

I have hated this rule since day 1, I even hated it when the Rangers used it to beat Tampa Bay in the regular season. Does everyone remember how livid Tortorella was after that game? I wonder what his reaction was tonight.
He's still probably throwing John Grahame under the bus!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 05:25 AM
pld459666

I actually like the rule

I've always hated it when players tossed the puck into the stands to get a stoppage so they their tired arses could get a shift change. It also prevents teams from using that as a tactic for slowing down an opposing teams pressure.

I'm glad they have that rule in as it's also been very instrumental in keeping a nice steady flow to the sport that we've been missing.

I feel bad for Buffalo fans, but screwed they were not.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The rule was called on a consistent basis during the entire regular season and during the entire playoffs.It is what it is

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote