http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/2...2/1611968.html

Old
06-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99

Not suprising.

Expect McRae and Kane to come as well, and for London to excel again.

Old
06-02-2006, 08:47 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Not suprising.

Expect McRae and Kane to come as well, and for London to excel again.
At least it will help make this year interesting, with all eyes to the next two years after!

Old
06-02-2006, 10:56 PM
jwalk

Corey Perry Numbers ?

Geez - I guess Dale isn't worried about putting too much pressure on the kid with his statement about "Stepping in right away,and putting up Corey Perry numbers". Last time I checked those numbers were awfully big.
I know he would've been top 5 last year,had he not indicated he was going to the USHL,and he's a hell of a player but I think Dale is putting him in a tough position.

Old
06-03-2006, 09:04 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk
Geez - I guess Dale isn't worried about putting too much pressure on the kid with his statement about "Stepping in right away,and putting up Corey Perry numbers". Last time I checked those numbers were awfully big.
I know he would've been top 5 last year,had he not indicated he was going to the USHL,and he's a hell of a player but I think Dale is putting him in a tough position.
Perry put up 59 points in 60 games in his rookie season. I don't think that's beyond Gagner's reach.

Old
06-03-2006, 09:27 AM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec17
Perry put up 59 points in 60 games in his rookie season. I don't think that's beyond Gagner's reach.
I believe the direct quote from Dale Hunter was "He's going to step in and put up numbers like Corey Perry did right away." No direct mention of rookie numbers even though maybe that's what he meant. (Knowing Dale it probably wasn't.).

Either way, for a kid that scored 11 goals last year in the USHL -it seems like he's putting a lot of pressure on the kid - even if the USHL is a more defensive league.

Old
06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

Pressure?

Quote:
I believe the direct quote from Dale Hunter was "He's going to step in and put up numbers like Corey Perry did right away." No direct mention of rookie numbers even though maybe that's what he meant. (Knowing Dale it probably wasn't.).

Either way, for a kid that scored 11 goals last year in the USHL -it seems like he's putting a lot of pressure on the kid - even if the USHL is a more defensive league.
I don't think it is a pressure situation at all. The kid has chosen this route and is clearly a good talent. When Perry arrived Hunter told him that he expected him to be a top league scorer. It is an expectation that reflects recognizing talent and encouraging it.

As for scoring 11 goals, it was in a short schedule for a REALLY bad team.

Old
06-03-2006, 02:43 PM
STS44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I don't think it is a pressure situation at all. The kid has chosen this route and is clearly a good talent. When Perry arrived Hunter told him that he expected him to be a top league scorer. It is an expectation that reflects recognizing talent and encouraging it.

Very true - that plus he was voted USHL rookie of the year playing for a team that didn't make the playoffs. Either there weren't very many rookies or he really impressed with his play.

Old
06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan

Even if Hunter has this expectation of Gagner what is the upside of broadcasting it to the press ? If the kid gets off to a slow start or doesn't produce "like Corey Perry" don't you think that the press will be playing it up ?

Old
06-03-2006, 04:29 PM
BlueJays

Quote:
Even if Hunter has this expectation of Gagner what is the upside of broadcasting it to the press ? If the kid gets off to a slow start or doesn't produce "like Corey Perry" don't you think that the press will be playing it up ?
The press will simply make excuses for Gagner the way others have any time his total of 11 goals in the ulta-competitive USHL gets mentioned. Gagner will get more icetime than any other player on the Knights next year in order to facilitate Hunter's recent prophecy.
For that reason alone and as I mentioned days ago in another thread, I would be wary of commiting to London if I were Patrick Kane, not to mention another reason being the list of other family members who will all be on that team and requiring oodles of icetime to develop ala Dylan Hunter.

Old
06-03-2006, 05:15 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJays
For that reason alone and as I mentioned days ago in another thread, I would be wary of commiting to London if I were Patrick Kane, not to mention another reason being the list of other family members who will all be on that team and requiring oodles of icetime to develop ala Dylan Hunter.
Yes, because we all know how much Dylan got in the way of Corey, David & Rob's development.

Old
06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
BlueJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
Yes, because we all know how much Dylan got in the way of Corey, David & Rob's development.
Well there will not only be just one family member getting the gravy icetime ala 'Dylan', but three presuming that Garrett & Tucker Hunter & Phil McRae all make the team out of training camp, plus Gagner.
And I would not compare this scenario to having Dylan playing along with Logan Hunter AND Rick Steadman as the latter two were nephews, NOT sons (which will bring a huge difference in allotted icetime).

Old
06-04-2006, 04:22 AM
jstigen1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
Very true - that plus he was voted USHL rookie of the year playing for a team that didn't make the playoffs. Either there weren't very many rookies or he really impressed with his play.
Okposo was Rookie of the Year in the USHL this year. Gagner was on the All-Rookie team though, which is still impressive.

http://www.ushl.com/news/0506/20060327ushl2.cfm

Old
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
JrHockeyFan

Good Grief

Quote:
The press will simply make excuses for Gagner the way others have any time his total of 11 goals in the ulta-competitive USHL gets mentioned. Gagner will get more icetime than any other player on the Knights next year in order to facilitate Hunter's recent prophecy.
Sorry to be blunt but you do not have a clue.

There is a system in place and if you do not play by the system, you will not play. I have not seen the Knights run to fulfill any individual prophecies, family or otherwise.

The Hunters are not going to work hard and invest in guys just to keep them off the ice so family can play. If that were the case, why chase Gagner or Kane etc. Their family would get even more ice time without them present.

As Thomas pointed out clearly (and you dodged). Developing Dylan H did not hurt other rising stars like Nash, Perry, Bolland, Schremp, etc. If you can't see how Dylan helped those guys be successful, you really just want to find fault.

Old
06-04-2006, 05:28 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
i dont expect garrett to make this upcoming version of the london knights...

Old
06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
hockeyfan85

Quote:
Well there will not only be just one family member getting the gravy icetime ala 'Dylan', but three presuming that Garrett & Tucker Hunter & Phil McRae all make the team out of training camp, plus Gagner.
And I would not compare this scenario to having Dylan playing along with Logan Hunter AND Rick Steadman as the latter two were nephews, NOT sons (which will bring a huge difference in allotted icetime).
And what happened to Logan and Steadman? If you think the Hunters are going to spoil family so much, don't you think they would have kept their nephews and guaranteed them a trip to the Memorial Cup?

Your argument makes no sense. Dylan earned his ice time and I am sure that the new three will have to as well.

Old
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan85
And what happened to Logan and Steadman?
How much PP time did Logan get when he was with the team? A heck of a lot more than he would have, had his name been anything but Hunter.

Both Logan and Steady were traded away during the Memorial Cup year... but how much pressure was there on the Hunters to win the big one? If they hadn't been hosting the Memorial Cup would they have traded them away? No one can say, but anyone who watched the Knights for more than last year saw Steady and Logan on the ice far more than they would have if they were non-Hunters.

Old
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
toomanymen

I don't think that anyone would deny the fact that Dale went to the well with his family members on his team. I also think it was big of him to trade same, i.e. Logan, Rick etc. This organization will go out on its shield, whether it has a Hunter crest on it doesn't matter. If it were me, I'd rather give my relatives who I know have been brought up the same way the benefit of the doubt, than someone else. But if they don't produce, then they end up in a trade.

Old
06-10-2006, 12:18 PM
knight44

This is a huge step forward for the Knights Gagner will be a big player the knights. Ok the knights wont be ontop of the league next year but still they will make the playoffs. If they add McRae and Kane , will just boost their chances of having a amazing team in about 1-2 years time. I really think bringing Gagner in will make Kane and McRae come to play in London. I cant wait to see those guys play with Foreman, Kotsityn, Perry

Closed Thread