HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Prediction for WJC 2004

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2003, 08:59 PM
  #26
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
If Russia sends it's A team, no country has a chance to beat them.
There is a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
almost every player on this team has at least 1 gold medal form last U20
7 players


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
at least 1 gold medal form last U20
1 gold medal for each member of the Russian team at Halifax, Slick Nick

PS: you may add to the roster Semin and Babchuk

Slay is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 09:38 PM
  #27
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Do you think Caps will let Semin play at the U20? I doubt.

Maybe Tunik?

Anyways, RE/Max cup in 2 weeks... we'll know what expect from that team.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 09:50 PM
  #28
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Do you think Caps will let Semin play at the U20? I doubt.

Maybe Tunik?

Anyways, RE/Max cup in 2 weeks... we'll know what expect from that team.
Yes hard to say about Semin. Tunik? Don't know, all depends of what the coach wants, selfish very skilled player or someone more team player as Krikunov or Sheviev.

You have listed the roster for U20 tourney in Finland (excluding Ovechkin who won't play because of injury) which starts tommorow if I am not mistaken. This roster won't play at re/max.

Slay is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 11:30 PM
  #29
skatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skelleftea,sweden
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
Yes hard to say about Semin. Tunik? Don't know, all depends of what the coach wants, selfish very skilled player or someone more team player as Krikunov or Sheviev.

You have listed the roster for U20 tourney in Finland (excluding Ovechkin who won't play because of injury) which starts tommorow if I am not mistaken. This roster won't play at re/max.



Isn`t Ovechkin with the senior team?

skatman is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 11:38 PM
  #30
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatman
Isn`t Ovechkin with the senior team?
Yes first reason why he doesn't play for the junior team is call up to senior team but he got an injury thus he is resting this week. But as I understamd he and Korneev were in the primary roster for the U20 tourney in Finland.

Slay is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 11:44 PM
  #31
Bad News Benning
no news is good news
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,134
vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Bad News Benning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
Yes hard to say about Semin. Tunik? Don't know, all depends of what the coach wants, selfish very skilled player or someone more team player as Krikunov or Sheviev.

You have listed the roster for U20 tourney in Finland (excluding Ovechkin who won't play because of injury) which starts tommorow if I am not mistaken. This roster won't play at re/max.

They should pick Krikunov , and play him on a line with Ovechkin again.

Bad News Benning is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 07:33 AM
  #32
Anfernic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
You got 4 players selected in the top 5...

Ovechkin (Kovalchuk in better)
Zhredev (4th pick last year)
Malkin (prolly 3rd pick ths year)
almost every player on this team has at least 1 gold medal form last U20, and play in the Russian Super Leage...[/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________ ______

For Canada if all players are eligible there are 5 players selected in the top 5 If I coun't like you

Nash
Fleury
Stall
Horton
Crosby

I think that all thses 5 are better than your three so don't say that Russian team is unbeatable.

Anfernic is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 08:22 AM
  #33
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfernic
You got 4 players selected in the top 5...

Ovechkin (Kovalchuk in better)
Zhredev (4th pick last year)
Malkin (prolly 3rd pick ths year)
almost every player on this team has at least 1 gold medal form last U20, and play in the Russian Super Leage...
__________________________________________________ ______

For Canada if all players are eligible there are 5 players selected in the top 5 If I coun't like you

Nash
Fleury
Stall
Horton
Crosby

I think that all thses 5 are better than your three so don't say that Russian team is unbeatable.[/QUOTE]

Yes but 3 of these players are graduated prospects.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 08:22 AM
  #34
FiveforFighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
I know this is a great tournament but Why should any professional players be allowed to play just because of ther age. There are plenty of great players at the junior ranks that should be given the chance to show what they can do. It a graet opportunity for the young guy's to show the pro teams what they have. Professional players are already in the top leagues of ther country and have already made it to the professional ranks. Why not give other players the chance to play?

FiveforFighting is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 09:12 AM
  #35
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Yes but 3 of these players are graduated prospects.
So? They're all still eligible for the tournament and would certainly be part of Canada's "A Team."

cagney is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:07 PM
  #36
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfernic
I think that all thses 5 are better than your three
They aren't actually. Canadian team doesn't have a player of Ovechkin level.

Nash and Fluery can be VERY important for team Canada, way more than guys like Stall, Horton, Crosby.

No way Shafigulin, Malkin, Zherdev, Kazionov, Mirnov, Anshakov, Glazachev, Pestunov weaker than Stall, Horton and Crosby at the moment. Russia simply has more depth of experienced players in my opinion.

Slay is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
  #37
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,303
vCash: 500
I think Russia, Canada, The US, and Finland will be in the Semi-Finals. Thats all I'll predict till rosters are finalized.

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:28 PM
  #38
Hitman*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 4,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
They aren't actually. Canadian team doesn't have a player of Ovechkin level.

Nash and Fluery can be VERY important for team Canada, way more than guys like Stall, Horton, Crosby.

No way Shafigulin, Malkin, Zherdev, Kazionov, Mirnov, Anshakov, Glazachev, Pestunov weaker than Stall, Horton and Crosby. Russia simply has more depth in my opinion.
Fleury (1st Overall)---in NHL
Staal (2nd Overall)---in NHL
Horton (3rd Overall)---in NHL
Zherdev (4th Overall)
Coburn (8th Overall)
Phaneuf (9th Overall)
Carter (11th Overall)
Seabrook (14th Overall)
Bernier (16th Overall)
Fehr (18th Overall)
Getzlaf (19th Overall)
Burns (20th Overall)---in NHL
Pouliot (22nd Overall)
Richards (23rd Overall)
Stewart (25th Overall)
Tambellini (27th Overall)
Perry (28th Overall)
Belle (30th Overall)
Glazachev (35th Overall)
Klein (37th Overall)
Pushkaryo (44th Overall)
Bergeron (45th Overall)---in NHL

More depth? I guess Russia does if you only mention 3 of Canada's players.

Hitman* is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:38 PM
  #39
L3DZ3P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Trois-Rivières,Qc
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Fleury (1st Overall)---in NHL
Staal (2nd Overall)---in NHL
Horton (3rd Overall)---in NHL
Zherdev (4th Overall)
Coburn (8th Overall)
Phaneuf (9th Overall)
Carter (11th Overall)
Seabrook (14th Overall)
Bernier (16th Overall)
Fehr (18th Overall)
Getzlaf (19th Overall)
Burns (20th Overall)---in NHL
Pouliot (22nd Overall)
Richards (23rd Overall)
Stewart (25th Overall)
Tambellini (27th Overall)
Perry (28th Overall)
Belle (30th Overall)
Glazachev (35th Overall)
Klein (37th Overall)
Pushkaryo (44th Overall)
Bergeron (45th Overall)---in NHL

More depth? I guess Russia does if you only mention 3 of Canada's players.
HEHE good point

L3DZ3P is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
  #40
Marshall
Hi beat writers!
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: @EmptyMaybe
Posts: 12,679
vCash: 109
"Do you think Caps will let Semin play at the U20? I doubt."

Based on what, exactly? The Caps let Eminger play last year, and Semin has been scratched a few times. I'd be surprised if the Caps didn't release Semin to play.

Marshall is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
  #41
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Fleury (1st Overall)---in NHL
Staal (2nd Overall)---in NHL
Horton (3rd Overall)---in NHL
Zherdev (4th Overall)
Coburn (8th Overall)
Phaneuf (9th Overall)
Carter (11th Overall)
Seabrook (14th Overall)
Bernier (16th Overall)
Fehr (18th Overall)
Getzlaf (19th Overall)
Burns (20th Overall)---in NHL
Pouliot (22nd Overall)
Richards (23rd Overall)
Stewart (25th Overall)
Tambellini (27th Overall)
Perry (28th Overall)
Belle (30th Overall)
Glazachev (35th Overall)
Klein (37th Overall)
Pushkaryo (44th Overall)
Bergeron (45th Overall)---in NHL

More depth? I guess Russia does if you only mention 3 of Canada's players.
And so? For me it doesn't say much. First off NA teams prefer NA players. Plus during draft is considered the potential of the player for a long period of time and doesn't really show that the player is better in this particular moment.
Playing in NHL? Hm... all Russians playing in RSL.
Russian team has a lot of players that playing versus men for 2 and someone even 3 years.

2 days ago Russia U20 (without Ovechkin) played vs Russia (senior) and the final score was 3-4. I'd say pretty impressive.

Slay is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
  #42
Johnny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay
They aren't actually. Canadian team doesn't have a player of Ovechkin level.

Nash and Fluery can be VERY important for team Canada, way more than guys like Stall, Horton, Crosby.

No way Shafigulin, Malkin, Zherdev, Kazionov, Mirnov, Anshakov, Glazachev, Pestunov weaker than Stall, Horton and Crosby. Russia simply has more depth in my opinion.
Why do you have problems accepting his statement for what it is, his opinion. You seem to have no problem putting in 'your opinion' any time you see fit to give Russia the nod in which ever particular catergory is being discussed at the time.

While Fleury would be the most important member of Team Canada, a goalie like him will always be the most important member of his respective team. As well Nash could be more important then Staal or Horton, as Nash is further along in development at this point in time.

I still see no reason to downplay the impact in which both Staal and Horton could potentially have on team Canada. Both at the top of their games are wolrd class talents, both could very well be significant contributors.

Malkin, Zherdev, and anyone else expected to be key players for Russia aren't at the level of Ovechkin. I dont see anyone feeling the need to come here and say they aren't/wont be as important as Ovechkin.

I look at the quantity Canada has, and see alot of quality as well. I dont see it as a stretch to feel Canada's depth may be better then Russia's. Of course that is afterall only my opinion. You may not be impressed with the list Hitman provided, then again who said you had to be. You may want to throw out the convenient, ever so familar European arguement that North American teams favour North American players, all one big conspiracy, I know blah, blah, blah in otherwords.

What it really comes down to is opinion. I dont see a whole lot of basis, nor convincing arguements that either Canada or Russia have better depth then the other. It's almost impossible to really compare.

I expect Canada to be missing at least 6 of its 7 top players. I think they would be lucky to get 1 of Burns or Begeron. The rest, call it a hunch, something tells me there is little to no chance they will be released from their respective teams. I still expect Canada to be a threat nonetheless, how much of a threat remains to be seen. I think they still may have what it takes to come out on top, but then again feel the same way about the States and Russia.

When several of your nations top players are not available, that is when it comes down to depth, basically when we really get a good idea how deep a nation is. I do think it would be rather interesting, as well it would make for a better comparisson of depth, to see Russia lose 6 or 7 of their top players, and then see how much of a threat they are compared to Canada. That is the only way I feel you can truly get a accurate idea of who is the deeper nation.

Johnny is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 04:59 PM
  #43
Slay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Amen!

Slay is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 05:26 PM
  #44
SpezNc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Fleury (1st Overall)---in NHL
Staal (2nd Overall)---in NHL
Horton (3rd Overall)---in NHL
Zherdev (4th Overall)
Coburn (8th Overall)
Phaneuf (9th Overall)
Carter (11th Overall)
Seabrook (14th Overall)
Bernier (16th Overall)
Fehr (18th Overall)
Getzlaf (19th Overall)
Burns (20th Overall)---in NHL
Pouliot (22nd Overall)
Richards (23rd Overall)
Stewart (25th Overall)
Tambellini (27th Overall)
Perry (28th Overall)
Belle (30th Overall)
Glazachev (35th Overall)
Klein (37th Overall)
Pushkaryo (44th Overall)
Bergeron (45th Overall)---in NHL

More depth? I guess Russia does if you only mention 3 of Canada's players.
Urquhart (40th overall)

SpezNc is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 05:31 PM
  #45
Dr_Chimera*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: THE Underground Lair
Posts: 5,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
[QUOTE=Slay]Inexperienced defense? Not too easy to give the certain answer. There might be only 2 D from the previous WJC and it is Denis Ezhov and Konstantin Korneev. But from another side most players of D play in RSL versus men, participate in junior tourneys (and winning them), and most were born in 1984, so I'd say they are experienced enough, also add Babchuk so it can be very solid D.

[QUOTE]

Well, of course I mean inexperienced for Russia's standards.

Dr_Chimera* is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 05:47 PM
  #46
The Mighty Duck Man
R-E-L-A-X
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,065
vCash: 500
I think goaltending is going to be more important this year than last. In my opinion it will decide the standings. And, Canada has probably the best goaltending going to the WJC.

Josh Harding is my pick to start, as he put the Pats, who are horrible offensively, into high places. Unless he's like Cujo and can't win on a good team, only on a bad one, he should be awesome.

The backup job is a different story. Deslauriers is my pick to back Harding up, but Ward or Daigenault could easily take it away. It all depends on how they do in camp.

Ovechkin should get alot of points, but it's possible he'll have a bad showing and not do as well. Crosby should be Canada's top offensive ace.

If Ryan Getzlaf can do what he did in the summer camp in the final one, he'll probably get #1 center. Crosby may convert to the wing on this one, maybe for faceoff reasons. He might stay center though, with Getz(if he does as well) going to wing.

Getzlaf's fellow Ducks prospect Cory Perry, the OHL's leading scorer, should start on LW on that team, especially if he keeps up as OHL scoring leader.

The Mighty Duck Man is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 07:24 PM
  #47
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 30,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
I think goaltending is going to be more important this year than last. In my opinion it will decide the standings. And, Canada has probably the best goaltending going to the WJC.

Josh Harding is my pick to start, as he put the Pats, who are horrible offensively, into high places. Unless he's like Cujo and can't win on a good team, only on a bad one, he should be awesome.

The backup job is a different story. Deslauriers is my pick to back Harding up, but Ward or Daigenault could easily take it away. It all depends on how they do in camp.

Ovechkin should get alot of points, but it's possible he'll have a bad showing and not do as well. Crosby should be Canada's top offensive ace.

If Ryan Getzlaf can do what he did in the summer camp in the final one, he'll probably get #1 center. Crosby may convert to the wing on this one, maybe for faceoff reasons. He might stay center though, with Getz(if he does as well) going to wing.

Getzlaf's fellow Ducks prospect Cory Perry, the OHL's leading scorer, should start on LW on that team, especially if he keeps up as OHL scoring leader.

I like USA's goalies, whatever one they go with. I hope they at least give Brown a look. It's hard to say since we don't know what the final rosters are yet, but I think USA has some impressive goalies. Howard I'd like to see start.

For the Slovak's I hope Halak makes the team, after being named goalie of the U-18 tournament in April.

montreal is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 07:52 PM
  #48
Douggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,803
vCash: 500
Don't worry Rabid Ranger, this is *one* Canadian fan who sees the US for what it is.

I think a lot of the US players from last years team are going to be back and this time, with (likely) better goaltending. The US hasn't won in a long time (if ever), right?

I think they'll take it this year.

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Canada
4. Czech

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Nice to see one of my selections pleased a Flyers fan.
Traitor.

BTW: Why are people even talking about Nash going?? He didn't go last year, and now this year he's actually producing, so why would he go?

Douggy is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:01 AM
  #49
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Don't worry Rabid Ranger, this is *one* Canadian fan who sees the US for what it is.

I think a lot of the US players from last years team are going to be back and this time, with (likely) better goaltending. The US hasn't won in a long time (if ever), right?

I think they'll take it this year.

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Canada
4. Czech


Traitor.

BTW: Why are people even talking about Nash going?? He didn't go last year, and now this year he's actually producing, so why would he go?


Thanks man. I don't want to sell Russia or Canada short, because they will both ice great teams. It's just that I think the U.S. is getting overlooked a bit. It will be a great tournament.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 06:34 AM
  #50
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
If USA gets Fritsche and Brown back they will be very hard to beat, I'm a little concerned about goaltending.


No offense, but I'm not. I think Montoya and Howard are both more than up to the task.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.