HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is there ever going to be another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2006, 02:29 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,512
vCash: 500
Is there ever going to be another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

You look at clips from the '70s and even most of the 80s and you can see several bench clearing brawls over the year, even at the WJC in '87 we all know. They seemed so natural back then. I can remember Floyd Smith coach of the Leafs in '79 calling his players to go onto the ice against the Isles I believe it was. the last bench clearer I can think of is in the '92 playoffs with the Devils and Rangers after a game. I guess nowadays there is less controversy since players dont have to cross the ice in most rinks to get to their change rooms which started a lot of them, but will we ever see another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 02:36 PM
  #2
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,256
vCash: 500
if the Habs and Leafs played against eachother in the playoffs it wouldn't surprise me

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 02:42 PM
  #3
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
You look at clips from the '70s and even most of the 80s and you can see several bench clearing brawls over the year, even at the WJC in '87 we all know. They seemed so natural back then. I can remember Floyd Smith coach of the Leafs in '79 calling his players to go onto the ice against the Isles I believe it was. the last bench clearer I can think of is in the '92 playoffs with the Devils and Rangers after a game. I guess nowadays there is less controversy since players dont have to cross the ice in most rinks to get to their change rooms which started a lot of them, but will we ever see another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?
Now that players get a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to get in a fight, I doubt it. Though I wonder if the NHL would really give 10 game suspensions to 15 guys on each team if it did happen.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
  #4
12# Peter Bondra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Now that players get a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to get in a fight, I doubt it. Though I wonder if the NHL would really give 10 game suspensions to 15 guys on each team if it did happen.
I thought about that once.

Some teams could try it out to see what happens cause I really doubt the NHL would give a full roster of players 10 game suspensions.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
  #5
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
if the Habs and Leafs played against eachother in the playoffs it wouldn't surprise me

I don't think we hate the Habs as much as we hate the Sens, to be honest.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 09:43 PM
  #6
JWINK19
southern Devils fan
 
JWINK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
I thought about that once.

Some teams could try it out to see what happens cause I really doubt the NHL would give a full roster of players 10 game suspensions.
I bet they would do it. They would just stagger the suspensions. Five guys at a time until everyone served their sentence.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 10:32 PM
  #7
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,987
vCash: 500
It is unlikely to happen but it probably will at some time in the next 10-20 years. If someone really runs your best player and a brawl breaks out and your first line is getting pummelled by the other teams goon line then one or 2 of your goons jump on the ice then everybody does it. It has to happen sometime regardless of the 10 game suspension.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 11:31 PM
  #8
Realm
Registered User
 
Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,924
vCash: 500
Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing back then but I also kind of miss it, its nice to know that its at least possible.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 09:07 AM
  #9
KingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year
 
KingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
I fear that we will have to settle for the line brawl now.
A couple of years ago I remember Adam Mair, when he was with the Kings, came off the bench during a line brawl with the Senators; I thought for sure that it was gonna be a bench-clearer.

I was under the impression that only the first off the bench got the 10 games, but I guess I am wrong. Also, doesn't the coach get a suspension as well? Seems to me that Andy Murray got suspended (or at least fined) over the Mair thing.

KingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:41 PM
  #10
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,095
vCash: 807
Islander-Ranger playoff series would probably produce one. Even the players get really caught up in the rivalry.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.