HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should get the C?

View Poll Results: Who should get the C?
Jagr 51 55.43%
Kasparaitis 31 33.70%
Rucchin 4 4.35%
Other (please comment) 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
XploD

vCash: 500
Who should get the C?

Jagr hasn't shown much leader qualities during his career and didn't want the C for this season.

Personally I think Kaspar should get the C, the media and fans love him and he's been really good to the organisation. He's already the leader of our defense and is willing to do it all for this team.

On top of that I see him as the guy who's lightening up the mood in the locker room.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 08:16 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

The more and more I watch Kaspy, I gotta say it's him. I believe Rucchin won't be back next season, and I don't see Jagr as a captain. Kaspy is the kind of guy people like to be around, but my only qualm with him is that he's a real comedian... will people take him seriously when it's crunch time?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 08:51 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
The more and more I watch Kaspy, I gotta say it's him. I believe Rucchin won't be back next season, and I don't see Jagr as a captain. Kaspy is the kind of guy people like to be around, but my only qualm with him is that he's a real comedian... will people take him seriously when it's crunch time?
That may even make him a better leader. When people see that he is serious, they will recognize that the funny guy means business, so they should too. I described it bad, but I think I got the point across.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 09:47 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Kasper.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 09:52 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Rucchin shouldn't be on here.

If it was three people to choose from...

Jagr
Kasper
Ortmeyer

With either Kas or Orts getting the C.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I'm pretty sure it will be Jagr

Daily News

And, one year after turning down the job, Jagr said he is ready to assume the Rangers' captaincy if it is offered to him.

"I didn't know before the season and I said it before: the language barrier is big," Jagr said, explaining his decision last September to remove himself as a candidate to succeed Mark Messier. "But I feel a lot more comfortable with (the media) and the fans. ... And whatever happens, happens.

"I'm not running from that. If that happens, it would be a big honor to me and I would feel a lot more comfortable than if that happened a year ago."

While Rangers coach Tom Renney might wait until next fall to bestow the honor, he long has desired that Jagr take the Rangers' "C." And a few hours before Jagr met the media, Renney said he planned to again sound out the superstar winger about becoming captain.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:16 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Jagr without thinking twice. Jagr was the leader of this team, he pretty much singlehandled stepped up in our huge losing streak in March or whenever it was and made a stand and won a game for us in the 3rd, then to continue that momentum he had one hell of a game the next night to lead us with back to back wins. And for crying out the loud, the guy had a massive shoulder injury and still wanted to be their for his team. Lets not forget him leading by example and teaching young Petr Prucha to be a very good NHLer. Brian Leetch wasn't much of a talker, but he lead by example just like Jagr.

The old Jagr may not have had leadership qualities, but to think the jagr of now doesn't means you haven't been watching enough Ranger games this past season.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:53 AM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Kasper should wear the C

NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:01 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Not only did the team revolve around Jagr, but he seemed to be the unofficial leader despite lack of the C. Kasper seems to be a great locker room personality but I'm not sure about his leadership capabilities.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
shoothepuck

You can't force something on someone who dosn't want it, and it would seem that while last season Jagr wasn't ready, this year he is. It's possible Jagr didn't want the C for a variety of reasons. Now that he's comfortable in NY, with the team, with Messiers retirement, his ability to play at a level he likes, at ease with the media, a good realtionship with the coaching staff, and a team that is on the same page and plays within it's system, ect., ect., he may take the C. He deserves it due to his play/leadership last season.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
In The Flesh

This is a no brainer, of course it's Jagr, he lead the team in goals, when we were down everyone looked to him, he gets tons of time, and he was a leader, maybe not in public but at the practices and in the locker room, I know he was the leader, he got the first word on anything anyway. Kasper is a great guy and definatly an Assistant Captain.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:52 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I'd like to see Kaspar with a 'C' on his sweater, but odds are Jagr'll end up with it.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
RedLightDistrict

In all honesty, i think we should do what the sabres did with drury and briere (co-captains) that being said, i would pick Orts and Kaspar... Something indicates that Jed will be able to rise to the occassion if given the C. And Hollywood will score 27 points (15g, 12a) On the other hand, Jagr did display to me that he was the unquestioned leader when he ripped into the Rangers bench in a game against buffalo (i think), and we came back and won. Possibly my favorite game of the year

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Ortmeyer? Come on. You can't give it to a fourth line player who is young. He does a lot for the team, but he isn't an NHL captain, especially one in Manhattan.

I think Jagr should get it for a number of reasons. I've been a little worried that the stale, lack of work ethic type Jagr will return next season. I think giving him the C will keep him motivated like he was this year.

Rucchin and Kaspar should be considered as well.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 02:33 AM
WheresBarnaby

Jagr lead as far as scoring goes sure, and I think that's why some see him as the leader of last season. I've said before, during interviews he could never tell you why the team lost or won or what needed to be done. A captain should be to tell you exactly what needs to be done, or he's not leading. Furthermore a captain should be able to then take his words, and SHOW you how. A captain should be gritty when he needs to be, play through injury's, and do what ever needs to be done to win. He should hit, score, fight if need be, Lead the rush, and be the first to backcheck. He should also IMHO, be a first line center. How many of those qualities does Jag's have? He's a great goal scorer and passer, but let's not get that confused with leadership. Lundqvist stops the puck. That's his role and he's great, but that doesn't mean he should be captain either. (using as an example/well aware goalies can't wear the c) The captain should be the one player that represents the Rangers most. So in answer to the orignal question, he's not on our team yet. We have good alternates, but there is no captain on this team.

Flame on...

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 06-05-2006 at 03:38 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Fletch

We shall see...

If Ortmeyer is on the 06-07 rendition of the Rangers - I do not think that is currently guaranteed.

As for captain - it didn't really effect the Rangers last season - not sure how necessary it will be this season. Three As worked pretty well with Jagr being the de facto Captain.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
If Ortmeyer is on the 06-07 rendition of the Rangers - I do not think that is currently guaranteed.
I agree.

06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i say rotate it and do what the Wild does is who ever earns it and steps it up should get it for that month. It will make the players work harder eventhough they work hard already.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Edge

Ortmeyer?

I love the guy but he's really a bubble NHL player, let alone the captain of an NHL team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote