HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks:Rangers have NO plans of giving Chara $8m large

Old
06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Also, if McKee decides to stay in Buffalo (which seems likely), I would add Jovo to my list. A change of scenery would do him some good, he's still a solid #2 defenseman. Jovo would add a nice physical presence to our blueline as well, something we desperately need.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:21 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Good save that cash! Less than one month before we know what this team is truly up to.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:27 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Redden and Mitchell.

But someone said something about Chara's defensive liabilities... you must have forgotten that this guy is out there shutting the opposition's top lines down night after night, and just ran into the wrong scenario with Buffalo's speedy forwards. I have center ice, and I love to watch Ottawa. Zdeno is ANYTHING BUT a defensive liability.

The only reason why I'm starting to think he's not worth is because we can get two solid defenders, and I'd love to see the afforementioned Redden and Mitchell.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im not against not spending 8 million on Chara...but lets hope Philly doesn't snag him for 7 million or something.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
My initial impression of the article was Larry was trying to counteract Garrioch's column.

06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.nypost.com/sports/64667.htm

The Rangers are willing to go as high as $5.5 million for Chara

The Rangers like Jay McKee and Kim Johnsson.Pavel Kubina,Filip Kuba and Willie Mitchell are on their list

Larry expects Karel Rachunek to return to the Rangers this summer.He can't sign a NHL contract until July 1 because he didn't play in the NHL last season.New CBA rule
Just me...but if Brooks' speculation is correct, solid news for NYR. They are doing it the right way.

Instead of trying to buy a core, going simply for the homerun mega-UFA signings, they are looking to add economically manageable pieces and maintain (and support) their existing core. That's how you compete...for years.

Just one person's perspective, but as unique and talented as Chara is, he is not imperfect and IMO not worth $8 mil per. And the ramifications of such a deal over multiple years goes beyond "we have the cap space today". There is some solid insight, IMO, by those who watch him regularly on the Sens board. They love him, want to retain him, but also acknowledge that some of his strengths (clearing out front) are negated to an extent in the new NHL, and that when it comes to turning radius against the quickest forwards, he will never be confused with Chris Pronger (as one saw this post-season). That is not a knock on the guy, he is elite. But not worth the rumored pricetag.

BTW, I recognize that he has a forgettable short stint in NYC back at the end of the dark years, but Rachunek is a solid NHL dman, with size and just entering his prime years, who will come at a respectable pricetag. Would add quality to your backline. Just my opinion.

PS - Look at the names on the defensive corps of the last two teams representing the Eastern Conference in the Finals. To be sure, some solid talent (Kubina, Boyle, Hedican, Wesley, etc....but not one elite and high-priced guy among them...and a lot of pedestrian types.) Worth considering.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-04-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
yeah, you ask him that now when the playoffs are still fresh in his mind...wait till the offers start flying though. many a player has changed their tune.
not saying he won't stay in buffalo, but I think you always have to take these things with a grain of salt when the players say them

as for Jovo...not a fan. Rangers fans love to kill defensemen who make mistakes and Jovo makes a bunch of them. He's a high risk, high reward defenseman and he's gonna be coughing up the puck from time to time and making us bash our heads against the wall. after seeing guys like poti and ozo come through here (though Jovo is definatly better than both of them) I can only imagine what the fans at MSG will do to Ed
Very true but the Sabres have the next 4 weeks to sign him before having to worry about any offers from other teams. He is basically theirs to lose. Hopefully Darcy doesn't F...it up. But if he lowballs him then all bets are off.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
yeah, you ask him that now when the playoffs are still fresh in his mind...wait till the offers start flying though. many a player has changed their tune.

not saying he won't stay in buffalo, but I think you always have to take these things with a grain of salt when the players say them

as for Jovo...not a fan. Rangers fans love to kill defensemen who make mistakes and Jovo makes a bunch of them. He's a high risk, high reward defenseman and he's gonna be coughing up the puck from time to time and making us bash our heads against the wall. after seeing guys like poti and ozo come through here (though Jovo is definatly better than both of them) I can only imagine what the fans at MSG will do to Ed

Maybe Malik and Jovo can be reunited and it can help Jovo out. They played well in vancouver. Id take Jovo over Rozsival any day of the week.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Id take Jovo over Rozsival any day of the week.
Amen brother.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Just me...but if Brooks' speculation is correct, solid news for NYR. They are doing it the right way.

Instead of trying to buy a core, going simply for the homerun mega-UFA signings, they are looking to add economically manageable pieces and maintain (and support) their existing core. That's how you compete...for years.

Just one person's perspective, but as unique and talented as Chara is, he is not imperfect and IMO not worth $8 mil per. And the ramifications of such a deal over multiple years goes beyond "we have the cap space today". There is some solid insight, IMO, by those who watch him regularly on the Sens board. They love him, want to retain him, but also acknowledge that some of his strengths (clearing out front) are negated to an extent in the new NHL, and that when it comes to turning radius against the quickest forwards, he will never be confused with Chris Pronger (as one saw this post-season). That is not a knock on the guy, he is elite. But not worth the rumored pricetag.

BTW, I recognize that he has a forgettable short stint in NYC back at the end of the dark years, but Rachunek is a solid NHL dman, with size, who will come at a respectable pricetag. Would add quality to your backline. Just my opinion.
The biggest thing I see, Trotts, is some of these guys that some fans point to to "fall back on" or "settle for" are not going to come cheap.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:13 PM
JayMan82

IMHO, I think Jovo can have a McCabe type season - the stupid azz penalties and (hopefully) injuries... I just have that feeling... I also have a feeling that both Mitchell AND McKee were/are both products of good systems and especially in McKees case, with the fantastic forwards that Buffalo have... If your gonna pay McKee or Mitchell 4ish, pay Jovo 5ish and get the whole package... If we sign Mitchell for 4 million I will literally puke (I had to get that out...)

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/06/274154.html

Like I thought, McKee wants to stay.
Sure McKee would like to stay in Buffalo but the Sabres will need to pony up the cash to keep him.The Sabres will have some extra money to work with because of the playoff home gates but they have never been a high salary team and if you look at some of their key players who will both UFA and group II's with arb rights this summer,Tom Golisano will need to spend more money than he wants to keep that team together

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

The Rangers like Jay McKee and Kim Johnsson.Pavel Kubina,Filip Kuba and Willie Mitchell are on their list
Redden's name is absent from Brooks' list and this thread. I guess everyone is conceding that he will resign with Ottawa. That's too bad because he is the one free agent defenseman I would break the bank for.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Redden's name is absent from Brooks' list and this thread. I guess everyone is conceding that he will resign with Ottawa. That's too bad because he is the one free agent defenseman I would break the bank for.
Redden wants $6.25-$6.5 million per

Old
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82
It seems like Willie Mitchell would work well under a certain system (Minny), but I watched most of the Avs/Stars series, and it seemed like he was on the ice for EVERY Avs goal... 4yrs/14 Mil... IDK boot that
Actually, this may strengthen the case for Micthell. The Rangers play essentially the same system as the Wild. And whikle I know Dallas was very dissapointing, Mitchell was even in the playoff series vs. Avs.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan

Quote:
But for any unrestricted free agent, the next contract is generally the deal of a lifetime. McKee's agent, Pat Morris, said the Sabres have been fair, but he also expects the "hockey community" will understand what McKee is worth.In other words, if you don't show him the money, someone else will.This year's Sabres have inspired an outpouring of love in this town. But business is business. On the morning after the Sabres eliminated Ottawa, I mentioned the McKee situation to Tom Golisano. He went into businessman mode and said if the team couldn't agree with McKee, they would part ways
Quote:
My gut feeling is that McKee will be elsewhere next season
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...04/1024757.asp

Old
06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
emjking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
with mckee it will be all about money like evry other ufa, obviously he will want to stay a sabre, being one game away from the cup finals and having to sit because of an infection will factor into his decision, but if he doesnt get what he believes to be a fair offer from the sabres or if another team blows him away with an offer (the rangers or someone else) he will leave

barnaby wanted to stay a ranger, the rangers helped him ressurect his career, but the hawks offered a much better deal financially so he left

as for sakic writing his own contract, that is comical, no gm in todays game will let sakic write his own contract, brooks still doesnt get it

I was at game 3 & 4 and the guys I was watching the game with told me McKee's wife is from the Buffalo area. I'm not sure what if any impact this will have on his final decision.

emjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 01:51 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Actually, this may strengthen the case for Micthell. The Rangers play essentially the same system as the Wild. And whikle I know Dallas was very dissapointing, Mitchell was even in the playoff series vs. Avs.
Well Poti was a +16 This season... want him back???

I just can't see Mitchell for that much if we can get Jovo who can do it all... I just don't see Mitchell on the PP (We need shooting defensemen... Just look at how many point shots went in this playoff year!!!) and he is a 3rd/4th Defenseman if that...

Old
06-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I recognize that he has a forgettable short stint in NYC back at the end of the dark years, but Rachunek is a solid NHL dman, with size and just entering his prime years, who will come at a respectable pricetag. Would add quality to your backline. Just my opinion.
For me, he's an unknown element. He looks great on paper, playing against non-NHL'ers, but it's speculation that he's going to return and take his game to a higher level than before. Older rumors suggest the price tag may not be as respectable as I'd hope for either.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 02:02 PM
JayMan82

Well, Rachunek will give us a MUCH needed RH shot... He will be definitely one to watch in Sept... I remembering him getting some PP time as well, although I could have gotten some Power Play minutes in 03'-04'

Old
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
eco's bones

McKee is very good at what he does. Stays at home, blocks shots, plays physical, controls the corners and the front of the net, can move the play out of his zone. His game is a simpler game than Chara's mainly in the fact that he concentrates on his own end and doesn't do all that much offensively. Chara's game is more complete overall. Sorry for those who don't like it--at least IMO Chara is a more complete player. As for the question of how much to spend on him and whether or not to give him a no movement clause that is open to debate.

Johnsson is not much of an option as far as I'm concerned. Not with his injury history.

Kubina might be the best option mentioned by Brooks as he's more a two way player and has size and a physical aspect not quite as good as Chara's but which is pretty good anyway.

Mitchell from what I remember (I haven't seen much of him since he's gone west) is much like McKee--maybe not as physical.

I don't really like the idea of signing two unless it means we get rid of Roszival. We need to keep some openings for Staal, Baranka, Pock or whoever. We can always pick up a 6th or 7th type D at the last minute if we have to.

If not Chara--Kubina is the guy IMO.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
JayMan82

Hmmm... Kubina... RH Shot... Czech... Physical... Can Play 28-30 minutes if need be... Stood up for Jags in the Olympix... One to ponder... I would keep Rozy if we pick up Kubina, especially if Rozsival can be had for his qualifying raise (in the 700,000 range I think???)

Old
06-04-2006, 02:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Rozsival will NOT sign for anything under 1.5M.

I don't see why he would. He would get offers around 2M per season on the open market, guaranteed.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Fletch

The thing about Jovo...

besides me liking him, is he played a few seasons with Malik, which makes for a decent transition, and a Jovo/Malik pairing is a good deal better than a Malik/Rozsival pairing by a very good amount. The 'Nucks with Jovo there was always a team that gave up few shots. Granted having Naslund carry the play helped, but having Jovo back there helped too. Similar situation in NY with Jagr, which is why I think he'd actually fit in pretty good here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Didn't Jovo and Malik actually play together in Vancouver a fair amount of time? I thought that they were paired together when Malik lead the league in +/-...

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote