HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks:Rangers have NO plans of giving Chara $8m large

Old
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...04/1024757.asp
Jay McKee may be gone after this season but I wouldn't put much stock in anything Jerry Sullivan writes. He generally likes to stir the pot or be contrarian. He also rarely covers the Sabres unless they are in the playoffs or there is a big regular season game after the Bills season is over.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:02 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Two things, first one Brooks' article

tell me he didn't copy the sentiments on Chara and the other viable options from what fans have posted on here. 2nd thing is Rachunek if nothing else is an asset of some valule to be used as seen fit. Same thing holds true for a player like Marek. The signing of 2 dmen would I think mean the substraction of Ozo & Poti and may be Rozy if his demands are too much.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
Jay McKee may be gone after this season but I wouldn't put much stock in anything Jerry Sullivan writes. He generally likes to stir the pot or be contrarian. He also rarely covers the Sabres unless they are in the playoffs or there is a big regular season game after the Bills season is over.
Josh, since you're a Sabres fan, maybe you can shed some light on this:

What's the word on some supposed "rift" between McKee and management? I heard a few posters mention it and had no idea what would be going on.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
pld459666

I would stay

far away from Kim Johnsson

Not a bad player as an offensive defenceman, but with the injury issues he's someone that we should not look to get.

I still think that we should go after Chara.

5 years at 7 mil per is fine by me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Fletch

McKee...

is not going to say he wants to leave Buffalo when his team is getting ready to play for the Stanley Cup. I don't know much of the Buffalo situation, but it likely will come down to how much Buffalo can afford to offer him. If he can get an extra year and an extra million $ per outside, don't be surpised if he bolts for another NY team. It's all speculation and most players' preference is to remain where there are, especially if they just made it to the Finals, but they also look to make serious dough. I would think the Rangers would have to offer a pretty good amount over what Buffalo just because of the cost of living.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Josh, since you're a Sabres fan, maybe you can shed some light on this:

What's the word on some supposed "rift" between McKee and management? I heard a few posters mention it and had no idea what would be going on.
Before the season McKee had a team option year left on his deal. Instead of picking it up the team declined to ,then they gave him a qualifing offer. It saved the team about 300,000. It was percieved by many as an awfully cheap move by Regier. He was also trying to negotiate for a new deal as well. He wanted Rhett Warriner type money. IIRC about 2.2mil per for 4 years. . In the teams defense they weren't sure how McKee would adapt to the faster game. Keep in mind, the two seasons before the lockout he hadn't been playing anywhere near the level he played at this season. It was a gamble that may blow up in Regier's face.

As for some of the rumors of problems with Ruff. That has no bases in fact that I am aware of. That I believe come from some rumor website or something along that line of crediblity or lack of it as it were.

Old
06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
bleedgreen

well, if brooks said youre not going for chara....based on his success rate he's likely your top choice. i hope not, i dont think he's worth your money.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:21 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Wow, I can't believe that Regier cared that much about 300K that he declined to pick up the extra year...

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe that Regier cared that much about 300K that he declined to pick up the extra year...
Some here have wondered if that move was the work of Larry Quinn(team president) and not Regier. The result is still the same. How they handle McKee will be a big test for the team. If the are going to still be Rigas era cheap or reward veteran players. Time will tell.

Old
06-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
For me, he's an unknown element. He looks great on paper, playing against non-NHL'ers, but it's speculation that he's going to return and take his game to a higher level than before. Older rumors suggest the price tag may not be as respectable as I'd hope for either.
I agree, "it's speculation that he's going to return and take his game to a higher level than before." But that comes with the territory. I am speculating that he can be a servicable top 4 dman on a competitive NHL team, as he was prior.

I personally liked his NHL game, pre-NYR; he experienced typical growing pains for an NHL dman in his early 20s and had issues avoiding injury, but there is a lot to like about him. Frankly, I put little importance on what he has done over the last two non-NHL seasons.

"Unknown"? Not in my opinion. A sure thing? Nope.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-04-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Captain11

havn't you guys learned anything from our past. Throwing around money at freeagents? Chara isn't bad, but he dosn't deserve 8 mill, or 7mill, 0r 6mill. I thought Larry made a good point on how much McCabe made will eventually make a difference on how much other fa d-men recieve.

McKee is the man to get. I've said it before and i've said it again.

Look at the 4 teams that made it to the final four. Only Edm and Ana had d-man that were payed close to 7-8mill that you want Chara to get...ScottyNeidermeyer and Chris Pronger. Chara is not the player that they are.

Stick to building from within. Staal will be our #1 in 2-3 years, so why go buy ourselves into a long contract worth 8mill for one now?

I ask sather to spend his money wisely, just like he did last summer.
ya know, the way he did that got us to the playoffs.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Reminds me of small market baseball teams that keep injured players on the active roster instead of calling up minor leaguers and paying them the big league salary. 300k here, 100k there...it all adds up.

I think the Rangers will end up winners in the offseason as long as they don't stay idle. Whether its an elite player like Chara or a few solid players, the team improves because we need a top notch defenseman as much as we need depth. The order in which we get them doesn't matter to me, this rebuild won't be settled in one offseason.

$8 mil is a lot of money though...

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Fletch

Captain...

hopefully these times are different from past times. Other teams can throw money at UFAs and still be successful. Other teams can trade for players at the deadline and have them contribute to a Cup run. UFAs are a part of every successful team. While NYR history serves a purpose in evaluating UFAs, so do many other successful teams. Past Rangers teams tried to put together teams that relied mostly on UFAs. A current Ranger team would rely heavily on Jagr, and Lundqvist hopefully, as opposed to income UFAs. That's how you can successfully integrate them - that, and signing the right guys and right amount of guys. Don't forget that while we all want growth to come from within, how would a yoot coming in next season be any different from a UFA? Both most likely have little experience with the club, so near term success of a 20 year old and a UFA should be expected to be somewhat comparable, at worst.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 07:47 PM
eco's bones

FWIW we've heard that Chara hasn't won anything but neither have a lot of the other names mentioned here. Kubina won in 04. Now it may be that McKee showed better in the playoffs--even so any offense that Jay provided the Sabres was pretty much a bonus for them. Chara has been part of Ottawa's offense and an all situations d'man for them. My own opinion has changed a little bit since the McCabe signing. I don't like this no movement clause. Along with 8 mill that seems a lot however I'm not really sold on McKee other than he'll give us a real good defensive d'man which we can use. We'd still need more offense from the backline.
Rachunek? I don't know if he's really up to it. In any case for those who would bring in 2 guys say a Kubina (Jovo) and McKee (Mitchell) we would probably spend more money on the two than on Chara and we'd have less flexibility to move younger players into the lineup because another spot is being filled.

Anyway to comment to comment on Jovo. He and Malik were a pair for a while and that might be a good fit also.

One thing I am looking forward too is the middle of July when hopefully all this will be settled once and for all or at least for a while.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Didn't Jovo and Malik actually play together in Vancouver a fair amount of time? I thought that they were paired together when Malik lead the league in +/-...

yea and jovo would be big upgrade on Rozsival on the PP.

Maybe something like this?

Malik Jovo
Kubina Rozsival
Kasper Tyutin
Strudwick as 7th dman

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea and jovo would be big upgrade on Rozsival on the PP.

Maybe something like this?

Malik Jovo
Kubina Rozsival
Kasper Tyutin
Strudwick as 7th dman
So you're basically saying Staal isn't making the team? I guess If he won't see action on one of the top 3 lines I'd rather have him get another year in Hartford. But bringing in two new guys basically eliminates any chance that one of our young guys makes it out of camp.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
anyone see the photo that came with that story? Brooks says the Rangers could target Kim Johnsson. Or are they? look at that picture, thats Chris Therien. Seems like the more logical solution to me

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82
I also have a feeling that both Mitchell AND McKee were/are both products of good systems
Which means what? The Rangers' system turned a mediocre group of defensemen into a group that, along with their goaltending, was #4 in GAA.

Who do you think is more a product of a good system? Roszival or Mitchell?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:10 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
anyone see the photo that came with that story? Brooks says the Rangers could target Kim Johnsson. Or are they? look at that picture, thats Chris Therien. Seems like the more logical solution to me
You must have had a few concussions yourself if you think they're going to target Therien.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:22 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos
Which means what? The Rangers' system turned a mediocre group of defensemen into a group that, along with their goaltending, was #4 in GAA.

Who do you think is more a product of a good system? Roszival or Mitchell?
This Is True... I would say Rozsival @ a cheaper price... Don't forget he's younger, Czech, already established in NY compared to a question mark when you bring in Mitchell... I think there would be too high of a risk factor w/ Mitchell... Thats why I'm bigger on Jovo too... He already has ties to this team (Malik) making it easier to adapt... Sather n Co. have a trend in acquiring players with past ties... Am I wrong???

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:25 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
You must have had a few concussions yourself if you think they're going to target Therien.

If you look at the article in the paper, the pic of the Flyer is, in fact, #6 (Therien) and not Johnsson

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:27 AM
WheresBarnaby

I'm glad we're not getting him, like I was saying in the last Chara thread, 8 mill's too much. I'd rather see that split between two really good D men, then just Chara.

"The Blueshirts are extremely wary of offering a no-movement clause (no trade, no assignment, no waivers) to any free agent"

Thank God!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:38 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82
If you look at the article in the paper, the pic of the Flyer is, in fact, #6 (Therien) and not Johnsson
I know, it was a pun directed at both Johnsson and the Flyer fan.

My sarcasm I guess is too dry for some.

Old
06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby
I'm glad we're not getting him, like I was saying in the last Chara thread, 8 mill's too much. I'd rather see that split between two really good D men, then just Chara.

"The Blueshirts are extremely wary of offering a no-movement clause (no trade, no assignment, no waivers) to any free agent"

Thank God!
You believe Brooks?!? I mean, I don't fully believe Garrioch, who started this 8 mill thing, but believing Brooks is pretty bad.

You might want to think about who you're dealing with here, because I'm 99.9% positive that you, as other Ranger fans have, myself included, bashed him in the past for being well-off mark on this kind of thing.

Old
06-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
You believe Brooks?!? I mean, I don't fully believe Garrioch, who started this 8 mill thing, but believing Brooks is pretty bad.

You might want to think about who you're dealing with here, because I'm 99.9% positive that you, as other Ranger fans have, myself included, bashed him in the past for being well-off mark on this kind of thing.
As I was reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing: people bash Brooks every time he writes something they don't like, but when he writes something they agree with, they take it and run with it like it came directly out of Sather's mouth.

Also, Brooks did not pick the picture that went with the story--some copy editor (or their intern) blew it.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote