HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I like what I'm seeing!

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

vCash: 500
I like what I'm seeing!

11 games in, 13 points, 1 point out of 1st place and get this.....our make shift defense has given up only 22 goals in 11 games. Only 2 other teams have given up less goals and one of them has played 2 less games than us. It just goes to show you that if the entire team is on the same page, plays within the system and is disciplined then you can achieve great things. I know it's very early and recent history suggests this is where we go on a losing streak but hey - I'm convinced we can at the very least make the playoffs IF we are consistent and continue to play the way we have for the ENTIRE season. I will go to bed a happy Ranger fan tonight, the happiest I've been with this team in quite some time.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
11 games in, 13 points, 1 point out of 1st place and get this.....our make shift defense has given up only 22 goals in 11 games. Only 2 other teams have given up less goals and one of them has played 2 less games than us. It just goes to show you that if the entire team is on the same page, plays within the system and is disciplined then you can achieve great things. I know it's very early and recent history suggests this is where we go on a losing streak but hey - I'm convinced we can at the very least make the playoffs IF we are consistent and continue to play the way we have for the ENTIRE season. I will go to bed a happy Ranger fan tonight, the happiest I've been with this team in quite some time.

I agree in alot of games we have shown great defence but in a bit to many games for my liking we have been relying to much on our goaltender.
Like the 3rd periods against the Avs and Stars and the entire game vs the Habs.
However in the games against Detroit,Ducks for example we played good D for 3 periods if we can continue to keep the goals down due to good defence rather then hot goaltending I guarantee we make the playoffs however that task is easier said then done....

Old
11-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
It's still early, but I'm loving it as well.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Tom Renney's system appears to be working...

remove the fiasco road trip to Minnesota and Cbus and the numbers are even better.

I agree that Dunham is the difference maker...

Old
11-05-2003, 05:04 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Nice to see the blueshirts doing it!

Old
11-05-2003, 09:57 AM
oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Tom Renney's system appears to be working...

remove the fiasco road trip to Minnesota and Cbus and the numbers are even better.

I agree that Dunham is the difference maker...
Nope, it isn't just Dunham.
That's what's been wrong with the Ranger thinking all along. We collect (formerly) great individuals, and hoped their individual greatness would add up to a great team. But, as we know, the sum was smaller than all of its parts.

I think Dunham has been great, but last night it was Markannen who got the shutout. Why?

Because its a TEAM game. They are finally playing TEAM Defense. This does NOT mean the Defensemen. They are by and large the same persons who stunk last year. But this year the forwards are coming back and taking an interest in defense. Just like the Devils. Just like a real TEAM.

The difference is that Renney's message is being listened to. No more Sather & his puppets fire-wagon 1980's hockey. What a difference a real coach can make!

Old
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Skroob*

This is what i DONT like

Team leaders
1. Kovy
2. Messier
3. Matty
4. Simon

Kovy, fine. Mess and Barny have me a bit troubled, but Simon as our 4th best by the numbers? Scary.

The right people have to start putting up the numbers.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

actually from what I saw the rangers didn't play well in the 3rd and Jussi had to play outstanding hockey to keep the puck out of the net. In many ways similar to the Dunham's last game... rangers aren't playing well in 3rd period with the lead and are forcing goalie to be teams top star.
Its not a good sign (something the avalanche were able to exploit)

Perhaps as leetch gets better adjusted to game speed and Lindros returns they can turn up the 3rd period forecheck... or perhaps sit back and look for the headman pass on the counterattack.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

are there any rangers fans on these boards that are pro-rangers! come on this team looks pretty good. lets enjoy it.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:31 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
are there any rangers fans on these boards that are pro-rangers! come on this team looks pretty good. lets enjoy it.
I was just going to same the same exact thing. How many times after a game that has been won can you say, "3rd no good. Dunham is holding the team together. Messier shouldn't be the shining star. Were are the other guys." What matters is wins! It doesn't matter how you get there! Stop this nonsense. We could go on a fifteen game winning streak and I bet if I come here I will see the same stuff.

Headline: "Rangers Win President's Trophy"

Come hear and read: "There D seems a bit shaky in the 3rd. Dunham is holding in and that is scary. oooh, so scary. They have to start losing at this pace."

It almost seems us Ranger fans are so used to losing we don't want it to end. There will be nothing left to talk about on here.

Can we just enjoy what is happening and look at the positives?

What about how great the passing has been over the last 7 games? What about being 3rd in less goals against? What about making a statement like this: "Wow, we are winning games with a 42 center scoring day in and day out! Can't wait until the rest start playing hot!"

Do we ever look at it like that? We say ooooh, that is not good when Mess, Barnaby, and Simon are scoring the goals. Is there something wrong with this? Why is it the stars that we only look for the goals from? Do you realize the goals scoring spread out amongst all four lines is how the Devils win cups? Hasn't this penetrated your skulls yet? What is happening right now is what we must hope for the rest of the way! Noone standing out in goals scored. Let everyone get 20. A win is a win is a win! Why do we always have to have the dramatics of one player scoring day in and day out. Doesn't make sense. You don't win hockey games like that never mind playoffs and cups.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I was just going to same the same exact thing. How many times after a game that has been won can you say, "3rd no good. Dunham is holding the team together. Messier shouldn't be the shining star. Were are the other guys." What matters is wins! It doesn't matter how you get there! Stop this nonsense. We could go on a fifteen game winning streak and I bet if I come here I will see the same stuff.

Headline: "Rangers Win President's Trophy"

Come hear and read: "There D seems a bit shaky in the 3rd. Dunham is holding in and that is scary. oooh, so scary. They have to start losing at this pace."
It is difficult for many to just be happy with the current level of play because it is difficult to believe that this will last. We are winning almost entirely because of the great play of a goalie not known for his durability (Dunham played back-to-back games once this season and now has a groin injury) and a 42-year-old center who cannot possibly have enough in the tank to be the best center on a playoff team for an entire season. Many of us recognize that this little streak is on borrowed time.

Quote:
It almost seems us Ranger fans are so used to losing we don't want it to end. There will be nothing left to talk about on here.

Can we just enjoy what is happening and look at the positives?

What about how great the passing has been over the last 7 games? What about being 3rd in less goals against? What about making a statement like this: "Wow, we are winning games with a 42 center scoring day in and day out! Can't wait until the rest start playing hot!"
Ranger fans have been saying that for years. Last year, we couldn't wait for Bure and Lindros to make a dominant top line. Didn't happen. With Nedved scoring, we couldn't wait for Lindros to heat up to give up 2 scoring lines. Didn't happen. With Lindros scoring the year before, we couldn't wait for Nedved to come around and give us scoring depth. Didn't happen. Hell, it goes all the way back to the end of the Smith era when every year we couldn't wait for this team full of great talent to finally gel and take the league by storm. That didn't happen either. Do you see a pattern here?

Quote:
Do we ever look at it like that? We say ooooh, that is not good when Mess, Barnaby, and Simon are scoring the goals. Is there something wrong with this? Why is it the stars that we only look for the goals from? Do you realize the goals scoring spread out amongst all four lines is how the Devils win cups? Hasn't this penetrated your skulls yet? What is happening right now is what we must hope for the rest of the way! Noone standing out in goals scored. Let everyone get 20. A win is a win is a win! Why do we always have to have the dramatics of one player scoring day in and day out. Doesn't make sense. You don't win hockey games like that never mind playoffs and cups.
The Devils rely on their top players to carry the offensive load and their depth players to add in some extra offensive push when possible. The Devils scoring may be spread out, but their top 5 point-getters last year were still Elias, Langenbrunner, Gomez, Friesen, and Nieuwendyk, all top 2 line forwards. You cannot rely on your 3rd and 4th liners to carry the offense for a season and make the playoffs.

Old
11-05-2003, 04:09 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Guys face it, the team looks very sharp since game three against the Thrashers. They are giving up more opportunities in the third period because other teams have been playing catch up and play more aggressive while we try and sit on the lead, you need your goaltender to play big during these times. The fact of the matter is the team has played much better team defense, the difference from last season so far is night and day....let's hope it continues.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Something else to note is that the Rangers have the 5th best home record in the NHL. Another big improvement so far.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

i dont think anyone is intentionally raining on the parade but

A. it's only 10 games in and this team has teased before.

B. and while the team is better, the defense still worries me and no one can deny that that our goalies are playing some great hockeys and winning games. when you actually look at the games and not the score sheet you see a lot of nice saves, often times to many shots being and guys who are still playing too sloppy at times.

you don't say a pitcher is going to throw a no hitter when he hasn't even been through the batting order once. the rangers success will depend on how they improve their current flaws if they do.

i just dont think we need to be gushing over this team every single time they show life which is what always happens on these boards.

they're winning right now, but it's gonna be a long time before we can say they've turned the corner. it's also kinda hard to enjoy something when you know it's built on sand and not a rock. that is exactly why the development of guys like moore and lundmark is just as important as the icetime mess gets or the chances kovalev gets.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i dont think anyone is intentionally raining on the parade but

A. it's only 10 games in and this team has teased before.

B. and while the team is better, the defense still worries me and no one can deny that that our goalies are playing some great hockeys and winning games. when you actually look at the games and not the score sheet you see a lot of nice saves, often times to many shots being and guys who are still playing too sloppy at times.

you don't say a pitcher is going to throw a no hitter when he hasn't even been through the batting order once. the rangers success will depend on how they improve their current flaws if they do.

i just dont think we need to be gushing over this team every single time they show life which is what always happens on these boards.

they're winning right now, but it's gonna be a long time before we can say they've turned the corner. it's also kinda hard to enjoy something when you know it's built on sand and not a rock. that is exactly why the development of guys like moore and lundmark is just as important as the icetime mess gets or the chances kovalev gets.

I agree with what you are saying but there are some differences in this team than the Ghosts of Rangers past.

- Moore and Lundmark. For the first time in a while there are young players who are making an impact and adding energy to a team that sorely needs it.

- The goaltending is a lot steadier that it has been. Dunham and Markkanen is the most balanced pair that this team has had since Richter-Healy.

- The PK is better than it has been in a very long time.

- There is some character on this team with Simon, Barnaby and Holik.

- There is the semblence of a system.

- This team is winning games against good teams (Detroit, Dallas, should have beat Colorado).

- The Rangers have had major injuries (Leetch, Lindros, Nedved) and are still winning.

- And the stars really have not played to their potential yet.

Yeah its early and they have teased before but in the past the team has been carried by one or two players or lines. The Rangers are getting scoring for most of their lines, the PK has been good, and goaltending has been very good and the team is doing the little things to win. IMO there is no better example of that than Barnaby coming out at the start of the second period vs. Dallas and getting into a fight. It gave the team and the building some life.

11-06-2003, 05:40 AM
Davisian

What I love is how the Sather apologists take the last couple of weeks and hold it up as Sather's body of work, completely neglecting the previous three years..

Yes, we're all happy the team is winning, and yes, they are playing a much better brand of hockey..

What some fail to see is that this "better brand of hockey" has come around due to factors we've been SCREAMING for since Sather came in..

1. Get youth into the lineup

2. Stop playing run and gun and get a defensive system

3. Get tougher

4. Get deeper

5. Make them accountable

So good ole Slats finally does these things after THREE years and suddenly we're the one's who won't give credit??

Old
11-06-2003, 06:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I agree with what you are saying but there are some differences in this team than the Ghosts of Rangers past.

- Moore and Lundmark. For the first time in a while there are young players who are making an impact and adding energy to a team that sorely needs it.
Agreed w/ your analysis, Singin'. Just this point has me worried. We all see the impact that Lundmark and Moore are providing by being in the lineup. Having said that, a real test of wether or not it's the same old crap is what happens to these 2 after all are healthy. I think that Lundmark will return to Lindros' flank. But what happens with Moore? He has clearly outplayed both Hlavac and Rosie. Does he go back to Hartford or will he take his rightfull place in the lineup in place of either of those 2?

Old
11-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Fletch

I'm currently happy because...

it's a work in progress and thus far hasn't been so bad. If this were last season's Rangers, they would currently be 2-6-2-1 after these 11 games. That's a good start. Obviously keeping it up is the challenge, but I don't remember the last time the Rangers had this type of start, even after facing the Wings, Stars and Avs (which they usually face in the second half of the season).

Of course, there are still those nagging items that make you scratch your head. The attention to detail in the defensive zone is a lot better (is sucked)...although still not very good. There seems to be an attempt at positional play, so at least the coaches are trying something that makes sense; perfection in implementation will take time.

And there are players who have not yet taken off. Kovalev, I think, has played great, save a couple games, yet hasn't put up the goals yet..I think that will come. Leetch looks lost, but it's only a matter of time he starts to feel comfortable. Youngsters are getting a chance and hopefully they just get better. These will hopefully be go-forward positives.

And yes, it appears as if the goaltenders are standing on their heads. But, doesn't it appear, or hasn't it appeared throughout the years, that the Rangers always face hot goaltending, play a great game and lose? So now it's the Rangers with that goaltending and bounces and lucky posts and are winning.

To keep up it Sather will need to stay sharp. He cannot continue to wait for guys like Hlavac to come around (and I don't think it would've been fair to yank him after two games either). He can't let defensive play lapse on more than an occasion (M&M in particular). And he'll have to figure out how to effectively integrate Lindros, while keepin Lundmark and Moore in roles as they continue to play well.

But, like I said, thus far, I think this team has played well overall, after a rocky first two games.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:14 AM
nervousranger

vCash:
I'm enjoying winning some hockey games again although if they keep playing this poorly lady luck is going to catch up to us. Let's face it, if the goalies have an off night we're in the crapper again. Sather's got his work cut out for him with this group and I dont know if he'll be able to resurrect this team judging from what I've seen so far although there is some light at the end of the tunnel now. Still there's just too many mental mistakes that we've been fortunate to overcome with great goaltending and some lucky bounces.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:13 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Two factors are contributing to the good start;

1- Playing a system that is built for the modern times - This is Renney's doing not Sather!

2 - Discipline - less penalties and adhering to the system.

I don't agree with everyone saying "we told you that youth would help this team". We added one 23 year old to the lineup and all of a sudden it's the youth. Don't get me wrong, I've said it all along that I'm all for adding youth, I would especially like to see Tyutin up with us; but the results are from the two factors above.....let's hope we it continues tonight against the Canes'. Let's Go Rangers!

Old
11-06-2003, 08:45 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

I forgot 1 more factor - GOALTENDING!

Old
11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
Two factors are contributing to the good start;

1- Playing a system that is built for the modern times - This is Renney's doing not Sather!

2 - Discipline - less penalties and adhering to the system.

I don't agree with everyone saying "we told you that youth would help this team". We added one 23 year old to the lineup and all of a sudden it's the youth. Don't get me wrong, I've said it all along that I'm all for adding youth, I would especially like to see Tyutin up with us; but the results are from the two factors above.....let's hope we it continues tonight against the Canes'. Let's Go Rangers!
I'll add a third factor, SCHEDULE!

This team was on the ropes after the horrendous start. They then had four days to regroup. They then had three unimpressive games in five nights against ATL, CAR and FLA. Then had another four days off before finally being able to put everything together and to get some of their better players going. This led to confidence and a fresh team lately which has translated to putting themselves into position to win.

I'm not saying it's the biggest factor but it one of the important ones. We'll see where they are at the end of the month after paying for the time off earlier in the season.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
that depends on your idea of an impact. when lindros returns the only thing they'll be impacting is the bench with their backsides.

Quote:
- The goaltending is a lot steadier that it has been. Dunham and Markkanen is the most balanced pair that this team has had since Richter-Healy.
right now goaltending is their saving grace. We could just easily be well below .500 right now if now for there play.

Quote:
- The PK is better than it has been in a very long time.
We really have yet to be challanged yet, and remember pp's get better as the season goes on.

Quote:
- There is some character on this team with Simon, Barnaby and Holik.

- There is the semblence of a system.
I do like the character of the team but Simon has taken just as many nights off as he's dominated this season thus far.

Quote:
- This team is winning games against good teams (Detroit, Dallas, should have beat Colorado).

- The Rangers have had major injuries (Leetch, Lindros, Nedved) and are still winning.

- And the stars really have not played to their potential yet.

and again that comes back to great goaltending which has really saved this team's neck. Of those teams i wanna see how we're doing against those caliber teams in december and january, not october and november.

I'm not saying this team will necessarily fail but right now a lot of things are REALLY going right for them as compared to them "really dominating". The defense is still shakey, the scoring is still primarily coming from messier's line {which is scary} and this team has NO scoring from the left side.

Dunham gets hurts or the goalies slump and this team is gonna fall like a rock. it's nice to see them winning but this team is not standing on solid ground right now and until we can safely say that we're getting way too happy over something that can do a 180 way too quickly.

4 years ago everyone felt fleury's fire and determination would make the difference.

3 years ago everyone knew messier's return was gonna right the ship and sather was gonna give us youth.

2 years ago a confident and healthy lindros was gonna team with nedved and messier to give us a nice three line combo to roll out there. pavel bure was gonna challange the goal scoring record for this team.

1 year ago bryan trottier was the young coach who was gonna be a candidate for the jack adams. bobby holik was gonna bring the rings and the grit to give this team it's right third line.

a year from now we could very well be talking about how dunham wasn't supposed to go bust in december and brian leetch wasn't supposed to miss most of the year with a new injury.

time will tell, i just dont wanna get to excited just yet.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:31 PM
nervousranger

vCash:
Like I was saying, if they keep playing this poorly lady luck will catch up to us. Well it sure did tonight. Mr Sather needs to sit the boys down like children and make them pay attention to the fact that they'll never beat any teams who show up unless they show up with some desire too.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:26 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousranger
Like I was saying, if they keep playing this poorly lady luck will catch up to us. Well it sure did tonight. Mr Sather needs to sit the boys down like children and make them pay attention to the fact that they'll never beat any teams who show up unless they show up with some desire too.
This game was not indicative of how the past 8 have gone...not even close. First of all the tempo of the game was set by "soft calls" by the refs, especially on Kaspar and Rucinsky; If your going to call every obstruction then you better call it both ways! We had 8 penalties called against us and Carolina only had 2 and Nedveds arm was almost chopped off on 1 of the calls.Then you have the penalties that were just plain DUMB - another too many men on the ice. We need another coach on the bench just to make sure we have the right amount of players on the ice! You give another team 8 power plays and your not going to win period. This takes away from rolling four lines, it tires out your players and it disrupts the flow of the game. Then we finally make it a one goal game on a penalty shot, yet another brutal call, and we blow the coverage off the line change. That goal looked like the Rangers of old. Well it's a loss and we play a huge one against a hot Philly squad Saturday Afternoon. This will be a big test because last year as soon as the team lost a game it usually went on a skid. We have to rebound - what better team to do it against.

Closed Thread