HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Happening With Esche...

Old
06-04-2006, 04:27 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

vCash: 500
What's Happening With Esche...

I was just wondering what is going to be the status of Esche next season. When you talk about the available goalies on the market the names that come up are: Legace , Huet, Denis , Biron , Cloutier , Gigure , Gerber , Raycroft.

You don't hear about Esche and I find that is weird cause I thought for sure he would be available. How can he go back to Philly after being relegated to the back up role. It is clear that Nittymaki is the #1 of the team and is ready to be "the guy" but Esche has proven himself to be a very solid #1 goalie as well (especially back in 04 when he carried the team to the East final) Therfore he deserves to be a starter and I think many teams would be interested in him.

As a Sens fan I would love to see the Sens make a move for either Gigure or Esche. I still think there would be some questions around whoever the Sens were to get but I really think Esche can be the best goalie avaialble if Philly decides to trade him.

So what do you guys think about this? Is he expandable and available for a trade or is he gonna split the starters role with Nittymaki for the whole year. He also said he wasen't happy in Philly being a backup so logical thing to do is trade him and get a decent package

So a deal with the Sens....what would it take to get him?

Last edited by The_Heat_Is_On_15*: 06-04-2006 at 05:04 PM.
The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:33 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
well hes signed through next season for 1 mil a year so his cap hit makes him pretty valuble. worth maybe a 2nd or 3 pick with a mid lvl defense prospect or maybe a winger.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike755
I was just wondering what is going to be the status of Esche next season. When you talk about the available goalies on the market the names that come up are: Legace , Huet, Denis , Biron , Cloutier , Gigure , Gerber , Raycroft.

You don't hear about Esche and I find that is weird cause I thought for sure he would be available. How can he go back to Philly after being regulated to the back up role. It is clear that Nittymaki is the #1 of the team and is ready to be "the guy" but Esche has proven himself to be a very solid #1 goalie as well (especially back in 04 when he carried the team to the East final) Therfore he deservs to be a starter and I think many teams would be interested in him.

As a Sens fan I would love to see the Sens make a move for either Gigure or Esche. I still think there would be some questions around whoever the Sens were to get but I really think Esche can be the best goalie avaialble if Philly decides to trade him.

So what do you guys think about this? Is he expandable and available for a trade or is he gonna split the starters role with Nittymaki for the whole year. He also said he wasen't happy in Philly being a backup so logical thing to do is trade him and get a decent package

So a deal with the Sens....what would it take to get him?
1) I think the word you are looking for is relegated and not regulated to the back up role.
2) He finished the season as the starter, so I'm not quite sure if that is an accurate statement.
3) No player "deserves" to be a starter based on past performance. Players earn their playing time based on how they are playing now.
4) As a Flyers fan, I'd love to see Esche in a Senators jersey as it would make one less team to worry about in the playoffs.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 05:08 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
1) I think the word you are looking for is relegated and not regulated to the back up role.
2) He finished the season as the starter, so I'm not quite sure if that is an accurate statement.
3) No player "deserves" to be a starter based on past performance. Players earn their playing time based on how they are playing now.
4) As a Flyers fan, I'd love to see Esche in a Senators jersey as it would make one less team to worry about in the playoffs.

1) Thanks , got a little mixed up there. I chaned it.
2) Alright that still doesn't mean much cause Nittymaki was the for the playoffs
3)Well he sure shouldn't be a backup. He may not *deserve* but he is sure *capable* of being a starter
4) You gotta be kidding me! So what you're saying is you don't like Esche ...okay!
But seriously I was just wondering what's gonna be happening with him. He would be bad to trade for but it's not happening ....the Sens are either bringing back Hasek or trading for Gigure. Esche is NOT our answer and Gigure probably isisn't either or any of the goalies available but when you can't get a guy by the name of Roberto Luongo then that's what you got.

Anyway Esche wlll most likley be staying on Philly. Nittymaki is a great young goalie so if needed Esche makes for a pretty decent backup

Old
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Lupul*

Esche is definitely available, but I'm not sure what his value is.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 05:24 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10
Esche is definitely available, but I'm not sure what his value is.

That's what I figured. A combination of a pick and decent porspect or third line forward would be pretty fair

Old
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
malfeasance

Quote:
1) Who made you the Relegator Regulator? Like you've never made a mistake.
2 and 3) So....since he finished the season as the starter, he's considered a starter. But since "past performance" doesn't matter, then he shouldn't start nor see himself as a starting G? Huh?
4) Just a dumb statement and a cheap shot. Furthermore, its just plain wrong. Give him a good D to work and the Sens offense in front of him and I bet you'd be more than worried.

malfeasance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Esche is a starting goalie in this league, and I'm still not convinced like some others around here that Nitty is ready for that role in the NHL. He's done well in international competition, but he seems to either a) be a better goalie when he's playing for Finland or b) he just looks better because Team Finland plays better defense than the Flyers.

I don't believe Esche is available for the upcoming season. He's very cheap for the next season and has proven he can be the starter, especially if Frank the Tank is given a shot to win that role again this year and fails...again.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He hasn't been made available, but if you want to make a deal for him, Clarke would listen

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
BringBackStevens

a common misconception is that the flyers are dead set on entering the season with esche as their backup. everything so far is pointing to the flyers entering next season just as they did last season in the goaltending department. and i think thats the right decision as of now.

not that a good offer for either wouldn't be considered by clarke.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 12:52 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfeasance
1) Who made you the Relegator Regulator? Like you've never made a mistake.
2 and 3) So....since he finished the season as the starter, he's considered a starter. But since "past performance" doesn't matter, then he shouldn't start nor see himself as a starting G? Huh?
4) Just a dumb statement and a cheap shot. Furthermore, its just plain wrong. Give him a good D to work and the Sens offense in front of him and I bet you'd be more than worried.
1) I was merely pointing out the word he was looking for. Did I ever say that I never made a mistake? And, when I do, I have no problem when someone corrects me.
2 and 3) He started the season as the starter, finished the season as the starter and was the starter in the playoffs. Quite frankly, the only time he wasn't the starter was when he was on the IR and then was given every chance by Hitch to be the starter again.
4) If you want to call it a cheap shot, fine. However, I am entitled to my opinion and I wouldn't be worried if Rebound Rob was the Ottawa goaltender. One good playoff series a great goaltender does not make.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 06-05-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike755
That's what I figured. A combination of a pick and decent porspect or third line forward would be pretty fair
i really agree with most of what you have posted on this thread so far...as far as the sens getting him...i don't see it happening. if he ends up getting moved before the start of next season i think it will be in a package to move up in the draft, so i don't think getting a lower pick is what clarke will be looking for, IMHO

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:48 PM
malfeasance

Quote:
1) I was merely pointing out the word he was looking for. Did I ever say that I never made a mistake? And, when I do, I have no problem when someone corrects me.
2 and 3) He started the season as the starter, finished the season as the starter and was the starter in the playoffs. Quite frankly, the only time he wasn't the starter was when he was on the IR and then was given every chance by Hitch to be the starter again.
4) If you want to call it a cheap shot, fine. However, I am entitled to my opinion and I wouldn't be worried if Rebound Rob was the Ottawa goaltender. One good playoff series a great goaltender does not make.
True enough. I suppose one good Olympic tourney wouldn't make a good goalkeeper either, so we are hosed for next year, eh?

Old
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfeasance
True enough. I suppose one good Olympic tourney wouldn't make a good goalkeeper either, so we are hosed for next year, eh?
Ok, I get it, you are an Esche fan. Good for you. Sorry, but I don't think Esche is an elite NHL goaltender that is going to put a team on his back and win a Cup for you. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours.

So you are basing your opinion of Esche on one playoff run and one Olympic run? Based on logic like that, I guess you still think that Jim Carey is a great goaltender because of one good season?

If he could learn to control his rebounds then I think he could become an elite goalie, but he has yet to do that ever since his days in the AHL. I remember watching him in the minors and thinking that if he ever learned to control his rebounds that he would be an amazing NHL goalie.

As for next year, I think that the Flyers are going in the wrong direction if they decide to keep both Niittymaki and Esche. It creates the same situation as this year with uncertainty as to who the goalie is. Every time one goalie plays poorly and the other plays well begins another "goalie controversy".

Old
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Ok, I get it, you are an Esche fan. Good for you. Sorry, but I don't think Esche is an elite NHL goaltender that is going to put a team on his back and win a Cup for you.
He's not, but so what? Is Cam Ward? Was Roloson? Khabibulin? Chris Osgood?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 10:02 AM
malfeasance

Quote:
Ok, I get it, you are an Esche fan. Good for you. Sorry, but I don't think Esche is an elite NHL goaltender that is going to put a team on his back and win a Cup for you. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours.

So you are basing your opinion of Esche on one playoff run and one Olympic run? Based on logic like that, I guess you still think that Jim Carey is a great goaltender because of one good season?
Yikes. Overreact much? First, I'm not an "Esche fan", I'm a Flyers fan. Second, I was referring to Nitty's Olympic run, Opinion King. You were the one who brought up the point that 1 playoff run doesn't matter, well the alternative guy only has 1 Olympic run to hang his hat on. You also brought up that the best guy starts, then proved Esche started all year + playoffs, but you still want the other guy. Where is your precious "logic" in that argument?

I am, perhaps, only offended by your constant need to state you have an opinion. No kidding. Even my flawed, Jim Carey littered logic can realize that. You know what they say about opinions, don't you? I'm not offended by your opinion, I'm offended by your terrible argument, your unsubstantiated superiority complex and your irrational thought process. Other than that, I'm cool.

Old
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
malfeasance

And really, does it matter at all who is the goalie for this team?

no defense = no chance

Old
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
He's not, but so what? Is Cam Ward? Was Roloson? Khabibulin? Chris Osgood?
I do think that Khabibulin is an elite goalie, yes.

Osgood was on a great Detroit team and may not be an elite goalie, but certainly was on the tier right below it. That said, if Esche can land on a team with that kind of talent, then maybe he could win a Cup.

Roloson was on a hot streak. He's an above average goalie that got hot at the right time. The difference between his hot streak and Esche's was that he got his team to the Cup. Esche did not.

Ward? It's too soon to tell if he will be an elite NHL goalie as this is his rookie year. That said he was thrown in and got hot and has carried his team to a Cup. Once again, as hot as Esche may have been in his one playoff run, he wasn't hot enough to get the Flyers to the Cup.

Old
06-07-2006, 10:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I do think that Khabibulin is an elite goalie, yes.

Osgood was on a great Detroit team and may not be an elite goalie, but certainly was on the tier right below it. That said, if Esche can land on a team with that kind of talent, then maybe he could win a Cup.

Roloson was on a hot streak. He's an above average goalie that got hot at the right time. The difference between his hot streak and Esche's was that he got his team to the Cup. Esche did not.

Ward? It's too soon to tell if he will be an elite NHL goalie as this is his rookie year. That said he was thrown in and got hot and has carried his team to a Cup. Once again, as hot as Esche may have been in his one playoff run, he wasn't hot enough to get the Flyers to the Cup.
I dont think Khabibulin is an elite goalie, just my opinion. One good season in his career. Yes he won the cup which is more than we can say about most in the league, but he hasnt done much in his career other then that one year.

How many elite goalies are there even in the league these days? Brodeur, Brodeur and........um........Brodeur. Maybe Kiprusoff. Hasek and Belfour are close to done. Joseph never was IMO, and the rest are not quite there in my opinion (Turco, Luongo, Theordore) or at least not yet.

I think most goalies these days are in the category of a Robert Esche and Dwayne Roloson. Above average, very good goailes that can get hot at points and you just hope it is the right time. These days I think it is more of a team game and the best team at the time wins, not the best goalie.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote