Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Red Deer

Old
06-14-2006, 09:07 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
You'll be fine, it's just not for everyone. However in one month you can make more than a student working a full summer job.

So the money is definitely 'worth' it in the long run. Enjoy.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

How much am I looking at for rent in Red Deer? Around $600 per month? Same as here I imagine. Do you know any rigs that provide lodging etc...

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Definitely check out the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. It's worth it. Plan to spend at least three hours. Try to avoid rush hour traffic too, you can be backed up forever on the QEW between St Catharines and Toronto between about 6-10AM and 3-7PM on weekdays. It's much worse if it's raining.

Northern Ontario is boring as any place you've been. If you're in Thunder Bay in the morning, have breakfast at the Hoito. It's legendary.

Good luck on the rigs.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec17
Definitely check out the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. It's worth it. Plan to spend at least three hours. Try to avoid rush hour traffic too, you can be backed up forever on the QEW between St Catharines and Toronto between about 6-10AM and 3-7PM on weekdays. It's much worse if it's raining.

Northern Ontario is boring as any place you've been. If you're in Thunder Bay in the morning, have breakfast at the Hoito. It's legendary.

Good luck on the rigs.
...I think he means in Alberta...

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
...I think he means in Alberta...
Read the thread, big guy.

Quote:
Any tourism places I should stop and see on my drive out? I plan on stopping overnight at Niagara Falls, etc..

Old
06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Rover*

This thread doesn't make oil rig work sound too glamourous. I thought it was all saving the world type stuff like bruce willis and ben afleck.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:25 AM
SickMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
This thread doesn't make oil rig work sound too glamourous. I thought it was all saving the world type stuff like bruce willis and ben afleck.
How do you know that a bunch of roughnecks hasn't saved us from certain firey death from asteroids before? You really don't, do you. Of course, the competition to get on one of the space faring crews is probably pretty harsh.

As for Red Deer, I lived there for the better part of 2 years (4 terms at Red Deer college), and it's a pretty decent place to live. Big enough to have everything you need, not so big as to have the problems that bigger places have. Lots of good people (though there are great people everywhere), and a nice enough town.

I would definitely echo the warnings of other posters, namely about the high rate of STDs and staying away from Lower Fairview. I've heard the same things about the STDs, though I didn't have any problems personally when I was there. (Of course, I use my personality as a contraceptive, so that might have something to do with it) Lower Fairview is the slum in town, though it didn't actually seem all that bad when I was there. But you might as well avoid it, there are better places to live.

I paid about 450 a month for rent when I was there, though that was a good 4 or 5 years ago now. 600 probably seems about right, though it may be closer to 700 or 800 with the boom that Alberta is experiencing.

As for areas, I lived right by the hospital in a group of 3 yellow apartment buildings (can't remember the name now), and it was pretty decent. Decent prize, good size, and no worries about safety. Nice and centrally located too.

As for life on the rigs, I can't help you there. I work in computers, and that's a job that suits me more, both physically and emotionally, than working on the rigs. Though if you worked as a crab fisherman, you're probably alright. I'm told that's the most dangerous job in the world (well, after Space Roughneck), so if you can handle that, you'll probably be just fine.

Good luck.

SickMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec17
Read the thread, big guy.
Sorry, but in the context of the thread, you should have phrased it "Along the way, you should stop in..." or something along the lines of that. Seemed like you thought he was moving to Ontario or something.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 08:07 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Sorry, but in the context of the thread, you should have phrased it "Along the way, you should stop in..." or something along the lines of that. Seemed like you thought he was moving to Ontario or something.
If you hadn't read the thread, then yes, it would have seemed that way.

Old
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
puck_08

Anyone have any tips for whate the so called "sketchy" areas of Red Deer are to steer clear from (i.e. the Forest Lawns of Red Deer)?

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote