HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Begin Downey & Murray signed, Bulis Sundstrom out

Old
06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
ti-vite

vCash: 500
Murray = two way contract (please)

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
oli500

Finaly were going towards the grit and toughnes direction over soft euros like sundstrom

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
Nice signing, Murray adds much needed grit. I won't miss Sunny, but I've always had a little liking for Bulis, but nothing I can't get over. It'll be interesting to see what the team looks like in October.

I agree, although murray is not an addition he already played for us.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
why? he'll likely stay up all year anyways.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:51 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
He already played the whole year this year. You're not making sense.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Phousse

Sweet! I've liked Downey ever since he came here and when I saw him play against the Sabres in February.

He truly is a force on the ice.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:52 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Finaly were going towards the grit and toughnes direction over soft ribeiros like sundstrom
Fixed. We agreed to call them ribeiros instead it sounds much more PC.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
SuperUnknown

Begin is worth $1M... for all those that say he's a 4th liner, I believe he can be a 3rd liner. He can play 15 mins without hurting the team.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79
What about Zednik ?
He's already under contract for next season...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
RC51

Begin Murray and Downey that's ok realy.
Bulis Sindstrom out well that's ok too. Two spots open
Zednik house for sale could mean 3 open spots and that is realy good news

Zednik is a streak point getter and he has two main problems.
NO creativity, an he is soft.
If you hand him the puck in the slot when he is open to take the shot then and only then is he a good shooter.
Almost never comes away with the puck off the boards and is rather easy to knock off the puck.
So of the 3 things a good top 6 forward must have he only has 1.
An upgrade is comming.

So 3 spots open. Kost for sure, but who else?
Gainey has lots of options and a war chest to make it happen.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Begin is worth $1M... for all those that say he's a 4th liner, I believe he can be a 3rd liner. He can play 15 mins without hurting the team.
well this year we saw Begin play on the 3rd line and the 4th line, and in the playoffs the 1st line. This guy is a major artery in the Habs Defensive game.

as for downey? very good 13th guy considering he has heart and really wants to be there.

Murray- now what a steal for hossa!!!! i gotta admit, till he was traded for i did not know who he was...he has speed grit and can forcheck very well. decent upside IMO.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it
I hope it's only to sign and trade him. We need a better no.2 centerman if we ever want to be considered cup contenders.
Guys, Ribeiro is going to be a Hab next year. The sooner you resign yourself to that unfortunate fact, the more hand-wringing you'll save yourselves.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Anyone heard numbers on Murray yet?

2 years, but how much? It should certainly be less than Begin, so maybe in the 600 to 700 K range?

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Guys, Ribeiro is going to be a Hab next year. The sooner you resign yourself to that unfortunate fact, the more hand-wringing you'll save yourselves.
I wouldn't be too sure...but ya never know...I hope Ribs and something else might go in a trade...Chicken n Ribs might just do it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
I thought the minimum salary had been raised to 500K or so?
450K, 'was 150K in the old CBA

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Guys, Ribeiro is going to be a Hab next year.
And that may not be as unfortunate as you think.

I think Carbo wants to whip Ribs into a NHL player. I wouldn't put it beyond Carbo's ability either.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50
450K, 'was 150K in the old CBA
Indeed. It will be 500K in 2009-10.

"The minimum NHL player salary in 2005-06 and 2006-07 will be $450,000; $475,000 in 2007-08 and 2008-09; $500,000 in 2009-10 and 2010-11, and $525,000 in 2011-12 (to the extent the CBA is extended by the Union)."

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 06:50 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Indeed. It will be 500K in 2009-10.

"The minimum NHL player salary in 2005-06 and 2006-07 will be $450,000; $475,000 in 2007-08 and 2008-09; $500,000 in 2009-10 and 2010-11, and $525,000 in 2011-12 (to the extent the CBA is extended by the Union)."
***, they make it go up

I didn't remember that part, it's crazy

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Artyukhin*

happy to hear begin was resined for 3 years . im glad he got 1 million a years also . that guy deserves every penny of it . he earns it and bleeds for the habs . i hope he retire a hab

downey great signing how can you got wrong with his 1 year contract?excellent locker room guy knows his role and he no liability to have on the ice . he gave us his all and we only paided him 100,000 last year .

murray 23 year young love his bang and crash style ..

glad all the boys are coming back and glad sunny is gone his heart was in sweden wish him all the best there

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Talent Analyst

All very good news !!!

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50
***, they make it go up

I didn't remember that part, it's crazy
Well yeah, of course they would do something like that. Same with the lower age for UFA. They had to give the players something, and many will end up on making more money because of that.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Begin is a 1st pk unit player, had back-to-back 10+ goals season.

Calling him a 4th liner energy player, while true, is celling him short.

He's more than that and this is why 1M is alright.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:00 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
And that may not be as unfortunate as you think.

I think Carbo wants to whip Ribs into a NHL player. I wouldn't put it beyond Carbo's ability either.
Good point. People don't remember that Carbo was an offensive star when he was drafted by the Habs, having scored 182 points in his final season in the Q.

The Hab brass told him if he wanted to make the Habs, he'd have to improve as a checker - Guy spent two AHL seasons honing his defensive skills - and when the 1982-83 season came along, he ws ready for a full-time role with the team. We also shouldn't forget that Carbo was one of the league's best checkers at a size of 5-11, 182 pounds, around the same size as Ribeiro, especially if the Thin Man can put on another 10 pounds of muscle.

Ribs doesn't have Guy's speed so he's never going to be a top shutdown guy; Ribs does however have plenty of hockey smarts, and coached properly there's no reason why he couldn't become a serviceable two-way player that won't hurt you on the defensive end, while chipping in 50-70 points per season.

I can name lots of guys that "learned" to play defence at the NHL level after being scoring stars in juniors...Stu Barnes is a good example..when he first joined Winnipeg he couldn't check his hat. Marty Gelinas is another good example...Bobby Carpenter went from being a 50-goal NHL scorer to one of the game's top checkers,

There were times at the end of this season where Ribs actually looked like he may have been getting it; that if he backchecked hard and threw some body checks he wouldn't implode.

The club should be able to sign him relatively cheaply, and if the club can save a couple or three million dollars that allows them to sign a solid third defenceman (if at all possible) and a gritty second line winger instead of going after an inconsistent Jason Arnott, I can put up with another year of Ribeiro, especially with Plekanec there to take his spot if he plays as poorly this season.

I think there's a good chance Grabovsky is also going to be in the mix, so here's the Habs' center depth chart heading into the season:

Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk
Begin/Murray
Lapierre
Chipchura
Grabovsky
Locke

Murray and Begin are interchangeable at center, giving us at least six NHL centers entering the season. One of either Lapierre and Chipchura will push hard for a spot as well.

On the wing I'd love Gainey to go after an old player of his in Langenbrunner. I like his overall consistency much better than Arnott.

Winger depth:

Kovy
Higgins
Ryder
Langenbrunner
Perezhogin
Zednik
Begin/Murray/ Lapierre
Kostitsyn
Downey

Projected lineup to start the season:

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Langen Ribs Kovalev
Zed Pleks Perezhogin
Begin Bonk Murray
Lapierre Downey

Ryder has Kosty, Kovy and Perezhogin on his butt; Ribeiro is being pushed by Plekanec, who can easily be replaced by Bonk on the third line, giving Lapierre a spot on the fourth line, which he probably deserves at some point next season. Grabovsky may come in and really impress....who knows? Suppose Gainey goes after an Arnott, who as he has in the past is lazy after signing a big contract, and Grabovsky comes in and wows the team in training camp...no way Arnott gets bumped from his second-line spot at his salary of $5M or whatever he gets. Imagine having $7.5M invested in Bonk and Arnott and BOTH of them dogging it.

I think Gainey will wait until after training camp to decided what to do with Zednik and Bonk. A lot will depend on the performances of Kostitsyn, Lapierre and Chipchura.

Bonk will be in his final season; after December there may be teams looking for a veteran center with size who won't mind paying a little over $1M for the remainder of the season. If Lapierre and Chipchura show they are worthy of NHL promotions by the new year, hopefully Gainey will be able to ship out Bonk for a song. If not, and he's still dogging it, buy him out or send him to the minors.

If Kostitsyn comes to camp in shape and looks ready for prime time, Zednik may well be dealt heading into the season.

Defence:

Markov Komo
UFA Souray
Rivet Dandenault
Bouillon Streit

Huet
Danis/Aebischer

It all depends on what Danis and Aebischer want...sign the best value.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
deandebean

I'd take 15 Bégins on my team over 15 Bulises. Hockey is not for ballerinas. I thought you guys were watching the same playoffs as I am. Bégin is exactly the type of guy that's giving the Oilers the Cup.

I was watching the 86 special show on RDS and I was thinking: man, was it good to see McPhee-Skrudland-Lemieux duke it out with the other teams. That's the type of line that the Oilers are winning with.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Finaly were going towards the grit and toughnes direction over soft euros like sundstrom
Absolutley!!! I still rue the day those damn euros were allowed into the nhl. I always dreamed of a league with huge, tough, North American, farm boys who maybe couldn't skate, pass or shoot but by God they could fight. I like my game slow and bloody. The game has become so sissyfied with all these euro girly men it makes me want to puke. It makes me ashamed to be of euorpean descent myself.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote