HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Julien Fired ???

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Leprechaun

vCash:
Julien Fired ???

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/

I don't believe it but Radio-Canada talks about a rumor from Sportsticker that Julien coach his last game in Montréal and possibly with Gainey coming back as coach....

Difficult to believe it !

Old
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
nikrag03*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun

I don't believe it but Radio-Canada talks about a rumor from Sportsticker that Julien coach his last game in Montréal and possibly with Gainey coming back as coach....

I hope not because a coach should not have to pay for certain players being lazy ****ing *******... **** them. Audette, Zednik, Rivet, Perreault,etc... get hte **** out town. IM tired of ur soft uninspired play.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Zednik

stupid rumor. Don't believe it. And by the way...

BOBBBB, BOBBBBBBBBB !!!! WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!! zzzzzzzzz
the season has started Bob !

Old
11-04-2003, 06:39 PM
CHareth

Quote:

One game under 500? I can't believe this is true.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Got to love such lame ass *^%@ing media. They can all @#%& themselves for making **** up. Unless it's true which would be very sad to fire a coach that's barely under .500

Old
11-04-2003, 06:47 PM
RE-HABS

Fire Julien for Savards mistakes (sigings and trades that don't work) and the players (all 23) lack of quality play game in and out? Too soon for this talk as far as I'm concerned.

Gainey wouldn't step behind the bench, those days are long gone. He is there to do a front office job an make deals upstairs, not to be a Joe of all trades and coach a team too.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:49 PM
tinyzombies

I hate to say it, but you know this team wouldn't be playing like this under Carbonneau...

Old
11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Got to love such lame ass *^%@ing media. They can all @#%& themselves for making **** up. Unless it's true which would be very sad to fire a coach that's barely under .500
Wow, I've never seen you lose it like this, montreal. :p

But yes, it's sooo hard to believe. And not only barely under .500 - barely under .500 early in the season with a team that no one expected to be a contender in the first place. I mean, c'mon! Why would Mr. Cool, Bob Gainey, freak out and fire his coach after only 13 games after giving the guy the green light at the beginning of the season? Yes, added pressure in Montreal yadda yadda yadda, but this smells like a total bull**** story to me.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Tricolore#20

This is truly unbelievable!!!!

What's with all the rumours coming out of Montreal today?!?

First Jagr, then Iginla, now Julien fired. SOmething must be going on. Better not just be a callup from Hamilton or something.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I hate to say it, but you know this team wouldn't be playing like this under Carbonneau...
You can't say that. The way players have been playing in Montreal over the past 10 years they have been nothing but coach killers. Carbs is in a way better situation right now.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Leprechaun

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
This is truly unbelievable!!!!

What's with all the rumours coming out of Montreal today?!?

First Jagr, then Iginla, now Julien fired. SOmething must be going on. Better not just be a callup from Hamilton or something.
I think it's all about the first snow in Montréal

Old
11-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Habs

Bottom line:

A. Some coaches have teams with little talent, but the teams still play very hard.

B.Some coaches have teams with little talent, and they float around with their heads down, giving little effort, looking lost most of the time.

Question:

Which team do we have?

I'm going with B.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Bottom line:

A. Some coaches have teams with little talent, but the teams still play very hard.

B.Some coaches have teams with little talent, and they float around with their heads down, giving little effort, looking lost most of the time.

Question:

Which team do we have?

I'm going with B.
I'll go with B. too.

A. would go to Lemaire in Minnesota.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
They said the same thing about the NY Rangers not playing like fat cats when Trottier was first hired.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Gainey couldn't possibly fire Julien right now because:

A) He'd be saying that this current roster CAN win with a different coach and that this is the lineup he wants, and

B) He would be the cutless ******* now, not the fans that booed Brisebois in the preseason.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Bottom line:

Question:

Which team do we have?

I'm going with B.
You're neglecting to mention a big personnel difference though. Under "Team A," the players are generally veteran cast offs with a developed game and a hunger to make it to the big league after a decade of riding the buses in the AHL.

"Team B," is teams like NY and Montreal, where it's a bunch of one dimensional players thrown together, having shared former offensive 'glory' (to ane xtent) in the past.

Different players, different results. As much as I respect Lemaire, I'd say it has more to do with the players than the coaches. Even Lemaire couldn't turn around this team (IMO).

Old
11-04-2003, 07:27 PM
RE-HABS

You can't fire Julien, sure he made his team this year and is playing his system...but do you think he wants Audette and Perreault and some other there too? Until a solution can be made with some player movement (Audette, Perreault, other vets) the coach will be still given every chance to make this work.

Has it been the coach's fault every year in Montreal since 93'?

Old
11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
"Team B," is teams like NY and Montreal, where it's a bunch of one dimensional players thrown together, having shared former offensive 'glory' (to ane xtent) in the past.
The big differance there is that the Rangers have good players in Kovalev, Carter, Poti, Messier, Nedved, Lindros and the list goes one. Our team has what Koivu (often injured) and Theo and then it goes to 2nd rate players to cast offs-players on their last leg and then to rookies. We really should expect to lose and the Rags shouldn't (and they aren't now), the fans in Montreal don't seem to know that though.

Too many people here think this team is way better than it really is, now that we are losing everyone is pointing fingers and placing blame.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
You're neglecting to mention a big personnel difference though. Under "Team A," the players are generally veteran cast offs with a developed game and a hunger to make it to the big league after a decade of riding the buses in the AHL.

Different players, different results. As much as I respect Lemaire, I'd say it has more to do with the players than the coaches. Even Lemaire couldn't turn around this team (IMO).
Minnesota, Nashville and Columbus all offer a more exciting brand of hockey than Montreal currently does.

I'm not talking about wins or losses, but the effort on the ice. Certainly respect starts from the coaching staff, and branches out. I'm not certain many players are happy playing this brutal defensive style, particularily the ones with a nose for offence.

In today's NHL, a good defensive player gets a pat on the back, and not the big bucks. You tell me where you want to play? In a system that will probably keep your stats, and salary, bottomed out.. or in a system that allows players to generate offence.

Sure, defence can win the games, if you can score the goals. This team is playing the wrong style, with the wrong players. Zednick, Bulis... the youngsters.. they gotta be set loose.

Is it Julien's fault? I don't know, I'm not behind the scenes. Did Gainey tell him to play this way?

The first 6 games, teams hadn't identified our system, and it was good for the Habs. Now every team has our gameplan down to a science, and its easy to penetrate.

I really don't think its a coincidence we started losing when we did.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Minnesota, Nashville and Columbus all offer a more exciting brand of hockey than Montreal currently does.

I'm not talking about wins or losses, but the effort on the ice. Certainly respect starts from the coaching staff, and branches out. I'm not certain many players are happy playing this brutal defensive style, particularily the ones with a nose for offence.

In today's NHL, a good defensive player gets a pat on the back, and not the big bucks. You tell me where you want to play? In a system that will probably keep your stats, and salary, bottomed out.. or in a system that allows players to generate offence.

Sure, defence can win the games, if you can score the goals. This team is playing the wrong style, with the wrong players. Zednick, Bulis... the youngsters.. they gotta be set loose.

Is it Julien's fault? I don't know, I'm not behind the scenes. Did Gainey tell him to play this way?

The first 6 games, teams hadn't identified our system, and it was good for the Habs. Now every team has our gameplan down to a science, and its easy to penetrate.

I really don't think its a coincidence we started losing when we did.
This team doesn't have the firepower to play a wide open style.

Right now the team is focused on a transition system; not a strict defensive system. The Habs had 28 shots and a lot of room to work with against a fairly young and weak defensive team in Edmonton. They couldn't bury their chances, and simply don't have the players to make things happen offensively.

Minnesota and Nashville are more exciting because of the players they have. They all are lunchbox type of players, many of which were stuck in the minors for years. Combine that with youth that has a lot of character, and you get a team of players working hard every shift.

Montreal is filled with veterans that have mainly been in the NHL from a very young age, in very specific roles: to score goals. There's only two legitimate playmakers on Montreal; one is on the shelf, the second is a perimeter player and doesn't bring it every night.

There's little character, grit, and skating capabilities on Montreal. That's what separates the Habs from the Predators.

Now if we see four or five players removed (Juneau, Perreault, Audette, Dackell and one of the right D's) removed and see the kids injected into the lineup, we'd see a very different, more exciting Hab team with more speed and character.

It's not the system, or the coach. It's the players.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:41 PM
J-D

Old
11-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
This team doesn't have the firepower to play a wide open style.

Right now the team is focused on a transition system; not a strict defensive system. The Habs had 28 shots and a lot of room to work with against a fairly young and weak defensive team in Edmonton. They couldn't bury their chances, and simply don't have the players to make things happen offensively.
Out of those 28 shots, how many were just half-assed, wrist shots, from somewhere along the boards... oh.. just inside the blueline? Realistically, the Habs just float a dozen shots a game towards the net, hoping they go in. Its not like anyone is creating a serious scoring chance.

Quote:
Minnesota and Nashville are more exciting because of the players they have. They all are lunchbox type of players, many of which were stuck in the minors for years. Combine that with youth that has a lot of character, and you get a team of players working hard every shift.
Disagree. They have speed, size.. and character. They go to the rink every day believing they have a chance to win. Looking behind the bench in Minnesota, is a little different than Montreal. As a player, how could you not respect Lemaire, and his accomplishments?

Quote:
Montreal is filled with veterans that have mainly been in the NHL from a very young age, in very specific roles: to score goals. There's only two legitimate playmakers on Montreal; one is on the shelf, the second is a perimeter player and doesn't bring it every night.
That excuse works for a majority of the team, but not all.

Quote:
There's little character, grit, and skating capabilities on Montreal. That's what separates the Habs from the Predators.
Totally agree with this. That's why I freaked out when we acquired Sundstrom, and applauded the Langdon/Begin moves.

Quote:
Now if we see four or five players removed (Juneau, Perreault, Audette, Dackell and one of the right D's) removed and see the kids injected into the lineup, we'd see a very different, more exciting Hab team with more speed and character.
This is what I wanted all along.

Quote:
It's not the system, or the coach. It's the players.
To a point. The coach is responsible for the players on the ice, and this is the bottom line. I don't think CJ will lose his job yet, not until he has a capable squad to work with.

In reality, we are in agreement on almost all points.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:17 PM
SuperUnknown

Imo, Julien is an ahl caliber coach. Good to teach the youth (good hockey knowledge), but unable to deal with the other NHL caliber coaches. He gets outcoached often, he has troubles adjusting his lines/strategy to the opposition and just like his team he lowers the shoulders when his team gets manhandled. Playing a 1-2-2 isn't going to help the team make up a 4-1 (or 4-2) deficit even though it is "the system". Also, as the game goes by, you need to cut your bench and adjust lines depending on who's hot during the game and who's not (also figuring what kind of game your teams need to show to win the game - offensive or defensive?), something Julien just never does. When we're trailing 4-2 in the third, it's not Juneau or Dackell that will get you closer...

Also, since our problem seems to be that our players show no accountability to our coach, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if Gainey went behind the bench until the end of the year. At least, he'd be able to figure out for himself who has a good or bad influence on the team, who are going to be our leaders, etc. He could use his experience behind the bench to mold this team into a winner. Also, players couldn't play without effort and think that the coach would get the heat instead of them... Besides, Gainey could groom a future coach if he returned behind the bench until the end of this year (Carbonneau as assistant coach, Jarvis, etc).

What I'm seeing is the same exact thing as last year when Therrien got fired. Lack of scoring and lack of effort.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:

I am beginning to wonder if all those journalists are full of ****!

Old
11-05-2003, 05:16 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I am beginning to wonder if all those journalists are full of ****!
Beginning? Has any of them ever said something that was not just tryong to create a story?

Besides McGuire and that guy who does the color for french radio broadcasts, none of these clowns has ever pointed out a particular play of technic that could help.

With the media in Montreal we get-
1-Play Ribeiro on every shift
2-the goalie contraversy
3-the cancer in the locker room
4-we need a tough guy
5-no one protects the goalie
6-we are small up front
7-for $x million dollars we could have had "fill in the blank"
8-let's trade the whole team
9-fire the coach
10-fire the GM

Stop listening to the "media". They are just like the National Inquirer. They cannot even comment on hockey issues, because they do not even understand them.

Closed Thread