HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson as D-Men coach in Montreal ?

Old
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Larry Robinson as D-Men coach in Montreal ?

That's what they were discussing during the intermission on RDS game broadcast. Larry is in Montreal to meet Gainey & Carbo. Carbo said he has three candidates on his list - one other is Muller.

What do you think ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

That would be the ideal choice imo but i doubt that it will happen.

Personally i think that it will be either Muller or Gaston Gingras.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:06 PM
tinyzombies

My fingers are crossed. He's exactly what we need.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
oli500

Larry robinson would be great especialy for a guy like komisarek

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Larry robinson would be great especialy for a guy like komisarek
Yeah...we would have the perfect coaching staff. That would be so amazing!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
habitue*

And Larry looks like he doen't want to be head coach anymore. He would be a great improvement over Green, that's for sure.

Old
06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I would add Robinson and would add Muller as well and make Jarvis the odd man out.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
deandebean

Wow, if Montreal gets Robinson, the gang is back.

By the way, is he still attached contractually to the Devils?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Wow, if Montreal gets Robinson, the gang is back.

By the way, is he still attached contractually to the Devils?

And add Patrick Roy as goalie coach...

Old
06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
tinyzombies

I seem to recall that Gainey said that Carbo would also be in training for GM duties while he was coach. I assume the same deal could apply to Robinson. That could appeal to him.

Personally, I'd like to see a guy like Guy Lafleur as Assistant GM. I like how he's always talked about the necessity for size AND skill. If Gainey is left to his own devices, I'm afraid that we'll end up with boring (tho successful) hockey.

I'm not sure what Muller would bring to the table. He wasn't the most creative offensive player, more of a hard-nosed guy who picked up points through hard work. I'd prefer someone who can build some creativity into the offense. Of course, Carbo was an offensive center when he first came up, so he can probably do that.

Old
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I seem to recall that Gainey said that Carbo would also be in training for GM duties while he was coach. I assume the same deal could apply to Robinson. That could appeal to him.

Personally, I'd like to see a guy like Guy Lafleur as Assistant GM. I like how he's always talked about the necessity for size AND skill. If Gainey is left to his own devices, I'm afraid that we'll end up with boring (tho successful) hockey.

I'm not sure what Muller would bring to the table. He wasn't the most creative offensive player, more of a hard-nosed guy who picked up points through hard work. I'd prefer someone who can build some creativity into the offense. Of course, Carbo was an offensive center when he first came up, so he can probably do that.

Guy and Bob (my two favorites Habs of the 70's) are like fire and water. Guy is so free spririted and outspoken. And Bob... well. We all know him. You won't see both in the same office in a near future. Guy is an artist. Bo is a thinker.

Old
06-05-2006, 08:32 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
And add Patrick Roy as goalie coach...
I'm happy with the Goalie coach we have...besides Roy will start in the NHL as an Assistant or head coach

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 08:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
I'm happy with the Goalie coach we have...besides Roy will start in the NHL as an Assistant or head coach

I was kidding. Roy will be head coach or GM or owner... nothing less !

Old
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
Guy and Bob (my two favorites Habs of the 70's) are like fire and water. Guy is so free spririted and outspoken. And Bob... well. We all know him. You won't see both in the same office in a near future. Guy is an artist. Bon is a thinker.
That's why I want them both. GMs tend to build teams around the style player that they once were. I already sat through the late 80's/early 90s snoozefest, I don't want to see that again. It is successful though.

Personally, I don't think it's true to imply that Lafleur doesn't know hockey. If you look at his criticisms, he's usually right-on. The only problem is he usually says the truth, which people don't like to hear. It was Lafleur who campaigned to have Wickenheiser chosen instead of Denis Savard. And, on its face, this seems like a mistake, but if you look at it, he was just pointing out a general problem of size on the team and it persists to this day. It wasn't his job to scout Wickenheiser or Savard, but I liked his viewpoint.

I would much rather watch a team designed by Guy Lafleur than by Bob Gainey to be honest, because Lafleur appreciates the concept of team toughness but also thoroughly understands that you can't completely bind a team to rigid systems if you want a free-flowing offense.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see a team that combined what Gainey and Lafleur (and Robinson) did on the ice.

Old
06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I don't like the way Robinson gave up on the devils right in the middle of the season. If he can't handle the pressure there, I don't know how he's going to react in Montreal. Yea, I know assistant coach isn't the same as a full coach position, but still, this isn't the kind of thing that rings good in my ear.

Of course, I would still welcome him with open arms.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Pat

I really hope Robinson joins the ship. Big Bird would be the perfect guy for our D. He'd bring a ton of hockey knowledge
IMO, I believe Habs would have one of the best coaching staff in the NHL.

Last edited by Pat: 06-05-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

wow.

Now that would be awesome

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 05:21 AM
superstar436

I honestley don't believe that Muller or gingras are good candidates. They may be very knowledgable guys, but we have to look for someone who has at least 5 years NHL experience. someone who made it several times to playoffs, and if true big bird is the only choice.

positives for him
- x great hab that we have to bring back here instead of leaving them for others
- great knowldge of the game
- lots of experience as coach and assist. coach

what more do u want

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Artyukhin*

i said i thought larry would be back with the habs . i was labeled crazy .

forget muller he isnt coming back . larry as our d coach would work as there pressure would be off him and just let him focus on developing our d core .would be a very good fit

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

That would be great to see Robinson come back,hopefully on his way here he brings Langenbrunner and Elias

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I've posted this same idea many times in this forum, that Robinson would be an *ideal* assistant coach for the Habs. As long as his role does not change, he'll be perfect for the position. He has ample experience on multiple Stanley Cups as a player, and sufficient experience as a head & assistant coach. He admittedly does not want the responsibility of a head coaching position, something he stated publicly well before this NHL season began. Due to Pat Burn's bout witch cancer, Lamoriello pressed Robinson into the head coach's position; the stress that Robinson put on himself lead to his resignation last winter. Larry has also said in the past that he enjoys working with younger players, so imagine his impact on guys like Komisarek & Bouillon, not to mention any upcoming prospects.

I really liked Kirk Muller as a player, but I'd rather see him develop a little more as a coach before he makes the leap to the NHL, with or without the Habs.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout
I've posted this same idea many times in this forum, that Robinson would be an *ideal* assistant coach for the Habs. As long as his role does not change, he'll be perfect for the position. He has ample experience on multiple Stanley Cups as a player, and sufficient experience as a head & assistant coach. He admittedly does not want the responsibility of a head coaching position, something he stated publicly well before this NHL season began. Due to Pat Burn's bout witch cancer, Lamoriello pressed Robinson into the head coach's position; the stress that Robinson put on himself lead to his resignation last winter. Larry has also said in the past that he enjoys working with younger players, so imagine his impact on guys like Komisarek & Bouillon, not to mention any upcoming prospects.

I really liked Kirk Muller as a player, but I'd rather see him develop a little more as a coach before he makes the leap to the NHL, with or without the Habs.
Bouillon is 30+ hardly a young player. But I could see Cote, Komisarek, Emelin or O'Byrne benefiting from his teaching now and in the future.

Hab at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Some great ideas in this thread. I like the idea of Lafleur as assistant GM. As I have listened to some of commentary and he seems very knowledgable. The only problem there is how will he get along with Gainey. Lafleur is a bit of a hot head and his style is the exact opposite of Gainey's.

Where has Gingras been coaching before?

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Artie

I believe Muller has met with the Habs. Gingras has had some talks with them. I also believe they've had talks with Sylvain Lefebvre. If they are talking to Larrry Robinson, I think it would be in more of an administrative role (ASST GM). I just can't see Larry back behind the bench.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
mcphee

I love Robinson. He ranks with Beliveau,Henri Richard,Gainey and a small group of others that I have always had a high level of respect for. I think an asst. coach can be 'one of the boys' in a way that a head coach can't. Robinson has that quality,in fact it worked against him in NJ, I believe. AS a teacher however, I have no idea of he's a better choice than Gingras,Lefebrve, or Muller. I like the idea of hiring a man who's secure,doesn't need the job, and can afford to be independant. I don't think you can go wrong with Robinson, but I don't think his pedigree and experience has to make him a better choice, though it sure can't hurt.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote