HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dwayne Roloson is gone for the playoffs

Old
06-06-2006, 12:15 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Dwayne Roloson is gone for the playoffs

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167895&hubname=nhl

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Tricolore#20

Part of me says that he isn't. MacTavish was haste in making that announcement. To know for sure, they would have to do scans, and that takes a lot longer than 30 minutes, or however much time passed before MacT announced it.

I'm not saying that Roloson will be back tomorrow, all I'm saying is that he could be back later on down the series. Markannen just has to old the fort, and I think he is capable of doing it. It's not like he hasn't played in the NHL before. He is a good stop gap type goalie, but somebody who can't be expected to play every night, like the Oilers used him at times prior to getting Roloson.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Man that game 1 was GREAT ... until Conklin pull a Salo and destroy his and his teammate's confidence for the rest of the seire .

Too bad the season is over i was looking foward a great , long final .

BTW bring back the best of 5 round 1 , cut the olympics and start the season 1 week earlier so we wont have to watch Hockey in short & wifebeater with the ceiling fan at high .

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:36 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej

BTW bring back the best of 5 round 1 , cut the olympics and start the season 1 week earlier so we wont have to watch Hockey in short & wifebeater with the ceiling fan at high .
No central air? Pity, it's really a must have. I'd never go back and live in a house without AC.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:37 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Part of me says that he isn't. MacTavish was haste in making that announcement. To know for sure, they would have to do scans, and that takes a lot longer than 30 minutes, or however much time passed before MacT announced it.

I'm not saying that Roloson will be back tomorrow, all I'm saying is that he could be back later on down the series. Markannen just has to old the fort, and I think he is capable of doing it. It's not like he hasn't played in the NHL before. He is a good stop gap type goalie, but somebody who can't be expected to play every night, like the Oilers used him at times prior to getting Roloson.
I'm not so sure of that. When MacTavish says that Roloson is out for the series then he is definitely out for the series. The only way he can say that right away is if the injury is obvious. I'm guessing it's a broken arm or something almost as bad like a muscle tear. It seems the incident effected his arm on that play. I read an article at faceoffmagazine dot com that quoted MacTavish plus I saw the TV press conference and the haste in his voice was more of a sickening feel to his stomach.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
No central air? Pity, it's really a must have. I'd never go back and live in a house without AC.
We start it later , its just getting hot its fun to keep the windows open a bit .

Old
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
MathMan

At this point I can't even hate the Hurricanes anymore. They've become victims as much as anyone else.

I don't like how they've played against the Habs, but they're still an excellent hockey team and now this string of injuries is going to overshadow how good they are in many people's minds.

At this point all I can do is roll my eyes, shrug, and watch what happens next, with no expectations of any kind...

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Rayne*

Well, Oilers are officially boned. Their run was good while it lasted, but Conklin will not win 4 games before Carolina wins 3 more.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

me and my buddy were talking about how any team that gets to play carolina in the playoffs gets hurt.

Koivu had that eye thing happen to him when they were up 2-0 in the series

Then Buffalo had one d-man go down after another

I was joking to my friend that roloson will now get hurt in this series. This is unbelievable. I've never seen anything like this.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Although it doesn't necessarily affect this particular play, I'm strangely enough starting to think we need to go back to the "no-toes-in-the-crease" rule enforcements too. If you get a penalty for shooting the puck over the glass... well... surely there are worse things happening in these playoffs to the goalies? And the defensemen don't have the same opportunity to protect them anymore.

I know that's kind of in the opposite direction to the NHL's desire to create more offense... unless you go really draconian on it and say a toe in the crease is as much a penalty as shooting the puck over the glass. Then you get more powerplays and more of their all-important "offense".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Although it doesn't necessarily affect this particular play, I'm strangely enough starting to think we need to go back to the "no-toes-in-the-crease" rule enforcements too.
You know, they were talking about this rule yesterday at 110% (yeah, yeah, I know), and the general consensus seemed to be this rule used to suck. Frankly, I can't remember how it was back then, but I always feeled that it would make more sense. Now that the D can't touch forwards around the net anymore, we'll have to find a way to protect goalies.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Bryzga lol*

Never underestimate a Finnish goaltender!!!

Although Jussi is probably the worst one in the NHL

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
At this point I can't even hate the Hurricanes anymore. They've become victims as much as anyone else.

I don't like how they've played against the Habs, but they're still an excellent hockey team and now this string of injuries is going to overshadow how good they are in many people's minds.

At this point all I can do is roll my eyes, shrug, and watch what happens next, with no expectations of any kind...
Victims? Well unfortunately this won't happen 'cause there will be a lot of people stating that the did had a great record in the regular season so they deserve it. And I think Cam Ward's play will overshadow the fact that they were really really really lucky that the Habs lost Koivu, that Buffalo lost Connolly and their 4 best d-men and that the Oilers lost the hottest goalie in the West in the playoffs.

Sure the Canes are good, but let's face it, they would not have won this without all those injuries, if it's not against the Habs, it would've been against the Sabres.

But don't worry, there is still talks about how we were so lucky to win 86' and 93' 'cause all the good teams weren't there or because Roy did everything by himself, if you want to look at victims, you should begin in our own backyard.....

Still hate the Canes, more and more with everything that has happened...

In the meantime, I would play Jeff Deslauriers. I have no confidence in Conklin and Markkanen, the only hope that they have is another young goalie with nothing to lose since everybody thinks Canes will win this now and steal the show like Ward did.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:32 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Although it doesn't necessarily affect this particular play, I'm strangely enough starting to think we need to go back to the "no-toes-in-the-crease" rule enforcements too. If you get a penalty for shooting the puck over the glass... well... surely there are worse things happening in these playoffs to the goalies? And the defensemen don't have the same opportunity to protect them anymore.

I know that's kind of in the opposite direction to the NHL's desire to create more offense... unless you go really draconian on it and say a toe in the crease is as much a penalty as shooting the puck over the glass. Then you get more powerplays and more of their all-important "offense".
I didnt have any problems with the toe rule initially but the rule is a joke when it is enforced throughout the season & the playoffs but the goal that wins the stanley cup in overtime is given even though it clearly breaks the rule

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
BigTimer*

If the Canes win the series, real hockey fans will see their championship with a big asterisk next to it so no biggie. Nobody won the Stanley Cup last year and it looks like it will be more of the same this season.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
MathMan

Frankly, I'm as un-enthused with the prospect of Carolina winning the Cup in this fashion than the next guy, but the "asterisk" talk is a little ridiculous. It's not like Carolina's expected to forfeit.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:42 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
If the Canes win the series, real hockey fans will see their championship with a big asterisk next to it so no biggie. Nobody won the Stanley Cup last year and it looks like it will be more of the same this season.
Just for fun, can you name a recent Stanley cup winner that faced four injury free teams?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Just for fun, can you name a recent Stanley cup winner that faced four injury free teams?
There's a big difference between 4 injury-free teams and the road Carolina has travelled. They were getting mopped around in round #1 before Koivu went down to injury and if that wasn't enough they started getting favorable calls and lucky goals at the most timely moments. In the second round they survive a ********* game where they tied it with 3 seconds left and ****ing Wallin scores on a breakaway in OT without even shooting the puck on a future hall-of-fame goalie. Then against Buffalo the injury god strikes again... this time to an extent which I've almost never seen before. And then we have last night which is pretty self-evident.

Too much luck to respect.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Kirk Muller

The only thing that really bothered me about last nights game was Moreau's penalty which led to the tying goal. Moreau gets a crosschecking penalty in front of the net, and maybe 5 seconds prior, an Oiler is crosscheck right in the numbers about 3 feet away. How one is called, and one isn't is beyond absurd. But what refs call these days may be something i'll never understand.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50

I'm sad too.

The Oilers can now kiss the Cup goodbye !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
David_99

Can we, I donno, somehow slide Abby under the ol' radar and loan him to Edmonton? They can give him his very own Ty Conklin jersey!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
There's a big difference between 4 injury-free teams and the road Carolina has travelled. They were getting mopped around in round #1 before Koivu went down to injury and if that wasn't enough they started getting favorable calls and lucky goals at the most timely moments. In the second round they survive a ********* game where they tied it with 3 seconds left and ****ing Wallin scores on a breakaway in OT without even shooting the puck on a future hall-of-fame goalie. Then against Buffalo the injury god strikes again... this time to an extent which I've almost never seen before. And then we have last night which is pretty self-evident.

Too much luck to respect.

luck or "breaks" is something that championship teams must get on the road to the stanley cup.

There is a saying that goes "you earn your breaks". That saying is right to a certain extent but this injury bonanza is something else. Not only the amount of injuries to their opposition but the calibur of players that are getting knocked out.

Multiple years down the road, nobody will remember how the canes won the cup (except for us rabid fans), all they will remember is who won.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
deandebean

To encourage Oilers fans, Roloson was putrid last night. He let in a pretty weak goal in the 3rd.

Probably his worse playoff performance. The youngsters could probably muster something better.

On the other hand, the Canes played terrible for 40 minutes. They looked nervous.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Markannen has ben solid so far , the Oilers are just taking too many penaltys .

OT-Last game Don Cherry was on the ice for his pre-game introduction with CBC and a Hurricane player *slashed* him just for fun ( he had his ugly blue flowers dress ) .. they said it was Mark Recchi tonight hahah