HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Talk frankly about the Habs Reconstruction.

Old
06-05-2006, 04:51 PM
BORAT

vCash: 500
Lets Talk frankly about the Habs Reconstruction.

Now alot of you Buggers for the past couple of weeks have been queezy and upset at the way the Habs year has gone by, True the ups and Downs were aplenty but I've been realizing something that maybe us spoiled : Shnitzels

Have yet to have noticed : In the space of 10 Years of Mediocre picks and a poor team

The Habs went from aligning what would ammount to be a TERRIBLE AHL Roster

to finally having a team with REAL NHLers on it.

In the mean time, the farm system finally has great up and comers and young guns like Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek etc ... have all made an impact on the team !

From Aligning Oleg Petrov and Brian Savage as a top scoring pair :

We now have Alex Kovalev and Michael Ryder

And free agents are not that hesitant to approach the city anymore !

That my friend !

is reconstruction !

What the Oilers, Hurricanes and other Teams like Tampa have accomplished is dwelling at the Bottom for years and getting picks ( see Pittsburgh ) was basically
having a fan base that allows bottom dwellers.
Something we don't allow here ! as we were never in the running for a top 5 pick in the last 15 years.

So here my friends ! is to rebuilding !

Now lets see how the stars align ! I WANT DRAFT DAY !!!!

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I think the rebuilding is over, now youth will grow up and lead us to success. (a couple of good UFA wouldnt hurt )

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:15 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Savard said he had a 5-year plan. This is the 5th year and the first batch of Savard's prospect already made an impact. How far do you think you have to go back top see 4 rookies get and hold a full time spot?

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Savard said he had a 5-year plan. This is the 5th year and the first batch of Savard's prospect already made an impact. How far do you think you have to go back top see 4 rookies get and hold a full time spot?
03-04 : Ryder , Ward , Komi and Garon .

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
tinyzombies

Obviously there is still a ton of work to do. Savard built the team around small, skilled players with character in anticipation of the new CBA and the opening up of the rules (I assume). If that is true, he guessed wrong, because the trend is for bigger players to lead their teams in scoring.

It's on defense where smaller, skilled guys have been most effective.

So, we've done the reverse of what we need to do both up front and on defense. Long way to go imo. Maybe even another rebuild, unless Gainey can take what we have and engineer a grinding team and buy a few scorers to round it out.

I'm a pessimist on this subject. I don't like our size up front, I don't like our skill and mobility on the blueline and we don't have any superstars anywhere.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Obviously there is still a ton of work to do. Savard built the team around small, skilled players with character in anticipation of the new CBA and the opening up of the rules (I assume). If that is true, he guessed wrong, because the trend is for bigger players to lead their teams in scoring.

So, we've done the reverse of what we need to do both up front and on defense. Long way to go imo. Maybe even another rebuild, unless Gainey can take what we have and engineer a grinding team and buy a few scorers to round it out.

I'm a pessimist on this subject. I don't like our size up front, I don't like our skill and mobility on the blueline and we don't have any superstars anywhere.
The Buffalo example prooves you wrong, so does the Montreal example... the only reason why Carolina beat both isn't because they were actually better at playing the game, its cuz they injured Key guys at crucial times and weaseled their way into the Stanley Cup Finals...

EDM should trash them, or there is no Justice in the hockey world

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves

Huh? Crosby's a big guy is he? Horcoff? Briere? How about that behemoth Datsyuk in Detroit?

Small, fast forwards are finding a place in the NHL again, not the opposite. Buffalo was a good example of a team with a handful of sppedy, small forwards that would have taken their team to the Stanley Cup finals if not for injuries to three and four regular defencemen.

Where are all of Edmonton's skilled, mobile defencemen? They have three - Bergeron, Spacek and Pronger and he's not much more mobile than Komo.... plus we have Markov, the Cube and Dandenault , one of the fastest defencemen in the league. Streit is no slouch in the skilled, mobile department either, so more than 70 per cent of our defencemen are skilled/mobile.

As far as not drafting any size up front....Chipchura, Lapierre, Latendresse, Ferland and Stewart not ring any bells? Kostitsyn is 6-0 and built like a tank, Higgins and Plekanec are both stocky and weigh more than 190 pounds already, Murray is 23 and essentially like a draft pick from 5 years ago...he's a big boy.

So - five forward with top line potential in Higgins, Perezhogin, Kosty, Latendresse and Plekanec...none under 190 pounds except perhaps Perezhogin.

Murray Chipchura Lapierre Ferland and Stewart for the last two lines.

I think the Habs are working on a balanced mix - Gainey added Kovalev, Downey, Murray, Bonk and Begin over the past two years while eliminating Audette, Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Sunny...there has been an upgrade in size/grittiness - you can't deny that.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Habbadasher

Our team is looking good, let it grow, find the holes, and then fill them.

Are we contending team? No.

Are we a much improved team? I say yes, and with our youth, bound to improve.

Do we have any superstars amongst our youth? I agree, no.

But we have seen very good players traded for a bunch of guys who never played regularly and we are well positioned to make such a trade.

Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Oh, well.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Huh? Crosby's a big guy is he? Horcoff? Briere? How about that behemoth Datsyuk in Detroit?

Small, fast forwards are finding a place in the NHL again, not the opposite. Buffalo was a good example of a team with a handful of sppedy, small forwards that would have taken their team to the Stanley Cup finals if not for injuries to three and four regular defencemen.

Where are all of Edmonton's skilled, mobile defencemen? They have three - Bergeron, Spacek and Pronger and he's not much more mobile than Komo.... plus we have Markov, the Cube and Dandenault , one of the fastest defencemen in the league. Streit is no slouch in the skilled, mobile department either, so more than 70 per cent of our defencemen are skilled/mobile.

As far as not drafting any size up front....Chipchura, Lapierre, Latendresse, Ferland and Stewart not ring any bells? Kostitsyn is 6-0 and built like a tank, Higgins and Plekanec are both stocky and weigh more than 190 pounds already, Murray is 23 and essentially like a draft pick from 5 years ago...he's a big boy.

So - five forward with top line potential in Higgins, Perezhogin, Kosty, Latendresse and Plekanec...none under 190 pounds except perhaps Perezhogin.

Murray Chipchura Lapierre Ferland and Stewart for the last two lines.

I think the Habs are working on a balanced mix - Gainey added Kovalev, Downey, Murray, Bonk and Begin over the past two years while eliminating Audette, Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Sunny...there has been an upgrade in size/grittiness - you can't deny that.
Look at the league scoring leaders (all big guys). Small guys with elite speed are the exceptions. And, I hate to say it, but Buffalo lost. Also, Edmonton does not have any defensive depth and very little skill. Look how bad they were tonight. Roloson has saved them and they've collapsed in front of him. They also have a superstar in Pronger to play half the game, we don't.

Chipchura, Lapierre, Latendresse, Ferland and Stewart: Only Lapierre can skate out of all these guys.

Kostitsyn, Higgins and Plekanec, Murray: Kostitsyn has skating and defense issues but I like him, Higgins and Pleks are great and Murray is a 4th liner. I like these guys, but none of them are superstars and there's no size there. I like Higgins's intelligence and work ethic, but he's not a physical player either.

Markov, the Cube and Dandenault , Streit: Markov will cost $5M after next year. Cube/Dandenault=no skill/third liners. Streit=sucks.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I'm just giving my opinion.

Old
06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

The organizational depth is not bottomless. For the time being, practically every NHL-ready prospect in the organization has already joined the Habs. Without Higgins, Perezhogin, and Plekanec, Hamilton was not much to brag about. Hainsey, Beauchemin, Hossa, and Balej are gone. Who's left? Danis, Kostitsyn, and maybe Lapierre, Ferland, Cote, and Halak. If Danis, Kostitysyn, and Lapierre make it next season, the Bulldogs will be further depleted until Chipchura, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, and Emelin arrive. O'Byrne will probably finish up at Cornell.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
The organizational depth is not bottomless. For the time being, practically every NHL-ready prospect in the organization has already joined the Habs. Without Higgins, Perezhogin, and Plekanec, Hamilton was not much to brag about. Hainsey, Beauchemin, Hossa, and Balej are gone. Who's left? Danis, Kostitsyn, and maybe Lapierre, Ferland, Cote, and Halak. If Danis, Kostitysyn, and Lapierre make it next season, the Bulldogs will be further depleted until Chipchura, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, and Emelin arrive. O'Byrne will probably finish up at Cornell.
Chipchura's already a Bulldog.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
tinyzombies

I would just keep Zednik and spend the money on a #1 or #2 defenseman if I were Gainey. I've said this many times before, but we need to upgrade on Rivet/Souray if we're ever going to win anything. And Markov is a UFA after next year. It's imperative now that there are several solid D on the market that we get at least one, maybe two.

I don't understand the logic behind getting a forward. We have tons of kids who need to play. All of them can do a decent two-way job, so that gives us three lines, and we have plenty of energy guys.

I won't complain if he signs Elias, but I doubt we'll see a bang like that. If he signs Arnott, I'm gonna cry. He'll turn into Bonk, mark my words.

At least he's looking to add offense, that's a positive sign. I'd love a top notch D though.

Maybe he's banking on Markov/Souray/Rivet having big years in their contract years.