HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com article about Justin Williams

Old
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
NHL.com article about Justin Williams

Quote:
By Larry Wigge
NHL.com columnist
June 6, 2006

Right place. Right time.

Funny, but that's exactly how Carolina Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford described his feeling about Jan. 20, 2004, when he acquired speedy right winger Justin Williams -- a former first-round draft choice in 2000 -- from the Philadelphia Flyers for defenseman Danny Markov.

One day after Rutherford recalled the deal, Williams' shorthanded, breakaway goal -- on a long, lead pass from Chad LaRose -- enabled the Hurricanes to rally from a 3-1 deficit after two periods to post a 5-4 victory over the Edmonton Oilers in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Actually, these Hurricanes have a habit of putting themselves in prime scoring positions at the most opportune time. Earlier in the season, they became the first team in NHL history to win four consecutive games -- overcoming a deficit of two or more goals in each game.

In Game 1 Monday, it was captain Rod Brind'Amour who scored, on an assist by Williams, with just 2:43 left in the second period to make the score 3-1. Then, Ray Whitney had a pair of goals to tie the contest, before Williams scored his breathtaking goal just over halfway through the third period. After Edmonton's Ales Hemsky's goal tied the game at 4-4, Brind'Amour collected his second goal of the game with just 32 seconds left in regulation time for the winner.
NHL.com

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 02:42 PM
BringBackStevens

yesterday on DNL keith jones said something like: himself and many others feel williams will be better than gagne soon.

although i understand the initial deal, its just our luck that he turns out the way he did and our team turns out the way it has (in dire need of a player like williams)

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
yesterday on DNL keith jones said something like: himself and many others feel williams will be better than gagne soon.

although i understand the initial deal, its just our luck that he turns out the way he did and our team turns out the way it has (in dire need of a player like williams)
I canít see it. Williams to me just seems average. I donít see the fascination many flyers fans have over him. Yes he had a decent year. Let him do it with more consistency over the next few years first. Before this year he really didnít distinguish himself IMO. Gagne is a much better player. That was a very good deal at the time and unfortunately we donít have anything to show from that trade. There has to be much more than meets the eye as to why the traded him and signed Hatcher and Rathje when clearly Markov is on the same level as those two and would make much less. We have heard all the speculation but there has to be more than we we know.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
I canít see it. Williams to me just seems average. I donít see the fascination many flyers fans have over him. Yes he had a decent year. Let him do it with more consistency over the next few years first. Before this year he really didnít distinguish himself IMO. Gagne is a much better player. That was a very good deal at the time and unfortunately we donít have anything to show from that trade. There has to be much more than meets the eye as to why the traded him and signed Hatcher and Rathje when clearly Markov is on the same level as those two and would make much less. We have heard all the speculation but there has to be more than we we know.
isn't as if Markov stuck in other stops around the league either... i also think Clarke simply thought Hatcher/Rathje were a better setup with what we had... i loved watching Markov play, it's a shame.

Last edited by GKJ: 06-06-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 03:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19

That's what happens when you don't give young players a chance to succeed. They go somewhere else and make you look stupid.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 03:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
isn't as if Markov stuck in other stops around the league either... i think the boozing and whatnot (i was told by a chick that worked in a bar that he was out drinking a fair amount...) is a factor. i also think Clarke simply thought Hatcher/Rathje were a better setup with what we had... i loved watching Markov play, it's a shame.
While he probably did think that, I am not sure why. One of them and Markov would have been better. Those 2 you canít say even in the old NHL were head and shoulders above Markov, especially Hatcher after coming off major knee surgery. Especially the way Markov played in the playoffs being hurt and all. He played the way Clarke wants his players to play.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
While he probably did think that, I am not sure why. One of them and Markov would have been better. Those 2 you canít say even in the old NHL were head and shoulders above Markov, especially Hatcher after coming off major knee surgery. Especially the way Markov played in the playoffs being hurt and all. He played the way Clarke wants his players to play.
Markov was traded after the Rathje signing and I think it was almost entirely injury related. Markov's been injury prone in the past where as Rathje has been very reliable. His defensive consistency also makes him a much better partner for Pitkanen.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Markov was traded after the Rathje signing and I think it was almost entirely injury related. Markov's been injury prone in the past where as Rathje has been very reliable. His defensive consistency also makes him a much better partner for Pitkanen.

Hatcher and Rathje were signed on the same day

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
this is the risk you run when you trade a very young player. Williams looked like a checking line winger with good speed on our team but has blossomed into a top 2 line player...who will probably get even better.

oh well, you win some, you lose some.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 01:31 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The deal still bugs me to this day. This was one of Clarke's worse deals, just because of what we ended up with. I would have no qualms if we kept Markov. The fact that we dealt Markov for a 3rd round pick, and then flipped the pick to LA in the Roenick trade was more than enough. Yeah, we ended up with Forsberg, but it would have been much sweeter if we would have kept Markov. But, Markov was sacrificed for the foolish need of having "size" on the backend.

I will admit that I'm quite happy for Justin Williams though. He was never going to realize his potential in Philadelphia with Hitch as the coach. Not a knock at Hitch, just the way it is. Williams needed to go to a place where there was going to be more of a press on the offensive side of the game for him to develop. He was always good defensively, but now that he has an offensive game to go with it, Williams is that much better.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote