HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I The Only One Who Thinks...

Old
06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
KingJarl

vCash: 500
Am I The Only One Who Thinks...

Am I the only one who thinks that no matter what Huet gets ($$$), he's not going to live up to the contract?

I just don't see him carrying the Habs the way he did the last half of the '05-'06 season.

So, I'm ver curious to hear what other loyalists think about Huet's potential for the foreseeable future (be it with the Habs, or not).

Kingjarl

PS If it wasn't clear, I don't believe that Huet will still be the number one in Montreal come January '07. That being said, I would love to eat my words 1 year from now. God help us, we need consistent goaltending!

KingJarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

The expectations will be too high from the fans. Everyone will want Huet to become a Vezina winner, but I'm a little bit with you on this one...the only difference is that I think he will still be our starter in January...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:31 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
Am I the only one who thinks that no matter what Huet gets ($$$), he's not going to live up to the contract?

I just don't see him carrying the Habs the way he did the last half of the '05-'06 season.

So, I'm ver curious to hear what other loyalists think about Huet's potential for the foreseeable future (be it with the Habs, or not).

Kingjarl

PS If it wasn't clear, I don't believe that Huet will still be the number one in Montreal come January '07. That being said, I would love to eat my words 1 year from now. God help us, we need consistent goaltending!
He doesnt appear to be a Steve Penney.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Dr_Hook

I think Gainey is caught between a rock and a hard place in the Huet situation. The fans had such a crush on him that we have to find a way te re-sign him now; if we let him go, the poor guy who's gonna start in goal next year is gonna be boohed out of town as soon as he gives up a goal (let alone a softie...)
But I think everybody will be reasonnable, he'll come back at a fair price and, given that he's used smartly (no more than 52-55 games), he'll do just fine !

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:37 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
He doesnt appear to be a Steve Penney.
did Steve Penney was appearing to be a Steve Penney ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

As long he plays better than Theo and Garon, i'll be happy. That's not asking too much is it.

But to your topic, yeah i'm not sold on Huet yet. If i'm not mistaken, he's had some real hot streaks while in L.A. so the season may not be a fluke. I think its 50/50 chance of success. Don't know why, i think he might get injured than disapoint with poor play.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:45 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Could you rephrase that?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Bryzga lol*

Anyone who knows goaltending knows there's something special about the way Huet plays. I've played nets and watched other goalies for years, and every game I've seen Huet play, I've been amazed by his rebound control, his composure, his ability to slide from side to side on his knees so smoothly. He's not a J.S. Aubin or a J.S. Giguère or even a David Aebischer...those are goalies who step it up randomly on occassion when they've got nothing to lose (Giggy stepped it up at the right time one year, but the Ducks were underdogs). They have very typical styles in nets and other goalies do it better and more consistantly. Huet is differant and has been consistant through out his career on good teams, bad teams, international team, but it's only with the Habs that he's getting the chance to show off his skills.

The only thing I'm worried about is if he cracks under the pressure of the media... but everyone's been saying how calm he is, so that might never be an issue. He had a big knee injury before he started playing in Montreal, that could be an issue, but it didn't seem to affect him since.

I'd sign Huet up to a 3 year, 3M a year contract. If he really wants to play here, I really think he's worth it.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 05:51 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Steve Penney appeared to be more of an Andre Racicot, even before there was an Andre Racicot.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Habs514

I think they should sign him to a one year contract.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
SOLR

I think 2 years is what Carey Price needs.(Could be a little more, but you can adjust with a UFA.)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
In a ideal world, we would sign everybody to 1 year deals. But the market for goaltenders being what it is, there is NO WAY he's gonna settle for less than 2 years, and more realisticly 3 years. If you're not willing to give him more than 1 year, might as well say that you don't want him back

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
HabuseMoi

Im not that worried, he had good stats troughout is whol NHL career, always lighting a fire behind the guys he used to backup.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:42 PM
jcpenny

Like it or not, Huet has to prove himself all over again next year and i hope he knows it.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 07:54 PM
All-Star

Huet is at the age where many goalies come into their own and become consistent. I'm a lot less worried than I would be if he was still in his early twenties.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Montreal Typical

The problem is that Huet has shown signs of weakness at the end of the season and especially during the playoffs. Opposing teams didn't get to see him much before (and neither did the Habs) because he used to play in the west. They were now faced with a goaltender they didn't really know and didn't have much time to analyze him but it won't take long for them to figure out his weaknesses (the Canes figured him out) and I think he'll become a backup again.

I sure am not going to jump on the Huet bandwagon unless he has another great season and can actually live up to that season in the playoffs.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 08:11 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist
The problem is that Huet has shown signs of weakness at the end of the season and especially during the playoffs. Opposing teams didn't get to see him much before (and neither did the Habs) because he used to play in the west. They were now faced with a goaltender they didn't really know and didn't have much time to analyze him but it won't take long for them to figure out his weaknesses (the Canes figured him out) and I think he'll become a backup again.

I sure am not going to jump on the Huet bandwagon unless he has another great season and can actually live up to that season in the playoffs.
Huet still has one of the best save percentage in the playoffs even though the Habs have been out for a while. The canes didnt exactly figured him out my friend since they didnt exactly lit him up. Huet was toe to toe with Ward and was awsome, i think you are way off on that point.

Old
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl

Kingjarl

same here, I hope that BG doesn't feel forced to sign Huet like he did with Theo.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 08:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Me too. 2.2 million + bonusses clause.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist

What playoffs were you watching? Our guys couldn't score; Huet is the only reason any of our losses were even close. If anything he proved himself to be a very solid playoff performer. What did you expect: a shutout every game?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 09:05 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
What playoffs were you watching? Our guys couldn't score; Huet is the only reason any of our losses were even close. If anything he proved himself to be a very solid playoff performer. What did you expect: a shutout every game?
I will add (Canes fans will agree with me on this) that Huet was the best goalie the Canes faced in the playoffs. He outplayed Brodeur and even Miller.

Old
06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Well I don't have that feeling, but I wouldnt give Huet a long term deal, I would give him a 1 year deal at 2M$.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 09:15 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911
Well I don't have that feeling, but I wouldnt give Huet a long term deal, I would give him a 1 year deal at 2M$.
I also think that but i dont agree with people trying to downgrade his performance in the playoffs.

Old
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Pat

the expectations from us fans and the media circus will be very high, it'll be a ton of pressure. I'm not convinced he'll be able to handle it like he did last season.
last year, nobody had high expectations...this year it'll be another story. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote