HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Questions about USNTDP

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2003, 09:13 PM
  #26
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
I agree with Juan, Moe Mantha's departure will make it even harder for the NTDP to compete with the OHL.
Of course you do, just like you previously stated that it was impossible for the NTDP to compete with the OHL because Mantha was a tool. You need some OHL pompoms and a skirt.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 10:59 PM
  #27
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
Of course you do, just like you previously stated that it was impossible for the NTDP to compete with the OHL because Mantha was a tool. You need some OHL pompoms and a skirt.
Let me speak for VOB.

Yes, Moe Mantha is a tool. Check out the his mpg interview on the Saginaw website - he sounds like an inarticulate retard. And as a coach, he is a career loser.

But by being in the OHL, he will be in a position to sucker the uneducated (about hockey) American parents into sending their kids to play for him in the OHL, just like he was able to sucker them into playing for him in the NTDP.

Don't see anything inconsistent about that.

Rah Rah!

Juan is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 04:42 AM
  #28
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
Of course you do, just like you previously stated that it was impossible for the NTDP to compete with the OHL because Mantha was a tool. You need some OHL pompoms and a skirt.

I said Moe Mantha was a hypocrite and guess what, I WAS RIGHT!!!

Better luck next time funkyloser :p

VOB is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 08:44 AM
  #29
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
VOB, You just lost all credibility with that statement. Not that you had much anyway!

bigd is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 09:28 AM
  #30
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd
VOB, You just lost all credibility with that statement. Not that you had much anyway!

What do you call someone who publicly lambastes young kids because they supposidly went back on their words, even though these kids did not sign any binding agreements? Then this individual has the audacity to jump ship midway through the season in order to join a league that he ripped on for the entire time he was with the NTDP.

Could you imagine what Moe's reaction would have been had Boby Ryan jumped ship today rather than before the start of the season?

Sorry bigd but Moe's as sad as they come, heck even worse than Jeff Jackson who at least waited to be fired before joining the OHL.

I predict that Moe will not last all that long in the OHL.

My credibility remains intact, at least amoung people who really know the story and what is going on.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 08:07 PM
  #31
Penkil2m
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Major Junior

Major junior vs NCAA

I understand that many people say you can still go to college if you play major junior...you can have a college package put in your contract. BUT....no one mentions that you can only attend a college in Canada and if you sign an NHL contract you forfeit your college money from major junior. If you decide to leave major junior and return to the USA to play college hockey, you must sit out games according to rules set up by the NCAA. The time lost is outragious...something like a year for 1 game played. So, I believe if you are an american and can play for the NTDP.....go for it...you have all the options....if you play Div. 1 and you decided to play major junior.you can without any penalty. If you get drafted by the NHL, you can stay in college and finish your education without a penalty.

 
Old
11-10-2003, 10:18 PM
  #32
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penkil2m
Major junior vs NCAA

I understand that many people say you can still go to college if you play major junior...you can have a college package put in your contract. BUT....no one mentions that you can only attend a college in Canada and if you sign an NHL contract you forfeit your college money from major junior. If you decide to leave major junior and return to the USA to play college hockey, you must sit out games according to rules set up by the NCAA. The time lost is outragious...something like a year for 1 game played. So, I believe if you are an american and can play for the NTDP.....go for it...you have all the options....if you play Div. 1 and you decided to play major junior.you can without any penalty. If you get drafted by the NHL, you can stay in college and finish your education without a penalty.
The reason that "no one mentions that you can only attend a college in Canada" is because that is wrong. U.S. players coming to the CHL receive an education package which they can apply to a U.S. university, college or trade school.

There are various pros and cons, truths and misconceptions involved in both routes.

But there is one indisputable fact: the CHL is the highest caliber of hockey in the world that a 16-year-old North American hockey player can play.

I am not making any judgements on which route is better; it depends on the needs of the individual player. But for whatever it is worth (and it may be irrelevant to some kids), the above statement is a fact.

Juan is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:16 AM
  #33
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
Do you have any proof of your 100:1 ratio bigd? I doubt it because again you are DEAD WRONG. As I said NINETY FIVE PERCENT of all current OHL players are going to school. The majority of those who do not go on to the pro ranks go to school after their OHL careers are over!

Its not Lang but Lane and he left Harvard because he said college hockey sucked. His parents are millionaires and he can go back to school whenever he likes!

As for the CIS vs NCAA, the CIS is improving and the top CIS teams can compete with their NCAA counterparts.

I am not knocking the NCAA (though I do believe that the NTDP should be disbanded) but if you are an elite level prospect with a great chance of making it to the pros, why would you want to take the NCAA route? Just look at all the NCAA players playing in the NHL today. Most of them never graduated because they ended up leaving early. So what was the point of them choosing that route in the first place? It certainly wasn't to earn a degree now was it?
VOB: Jillson left Michigan early, but guess what...he GOT his degree.

Also, Dany Heatley (prior to the accident) WAS trying to finish up his education at Wisconsin whenever he could squeeze in the time to do (primarily in the summer).

So to say that players who leave early don't get their degrees is wrong. Some DO eventually get them. Also, there are some who CHOSE to complete their college education before opting to turn pro. If memory serves me correctly, Brendan Morrison did just that because he wanted to win a national title (with Michigan), which he did.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 05:31 AM
  #34
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
VOB: Jillson left Michigan early, but guess what...he GOT his degree.

Also, Dany Heatley (prior to the accident) WAS trying to finish up his education at Wisconsin whenever he could squeeze in the time to do (primarily in the summer).

So to say that players who leave early don't get their degrees is wrong. Some DO eventually get them. Also, there are some who CHOSE to complete their college education before opting to turn pro. If memory serves me correctly, Brendan Morrison did just that because he wanted to win a national title (with Michigan), which he did.

Read my quote about what Bill Guerin had to say about leaving college early for the pros, it basically says it all!

To many pro NCAA people here think that because you do not play D-1 hockey, you are throwing your education away. That is the furthest thing from the truth. Major Junior players are no different than their NCAA counterparts when it comes to receiving an education. It is important to them and the majority of them do go on and earn themselves a degree.

That was my point, and players such as Danny Heatley prove my point even more! You don't have to be playing college hockey in order to receive an education!!!!

Penkil2m, you don't have to believe Juan that many American players recieve a free U.S. education, just ask, write or email any members of the Plymouth Whalers hockey team. They will be glad to tell you how their classes (which they are taking for FREE) are going at places such as Eastern Michigan University, Wayne State and Oakland University.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 07:09 AM
  #35
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Are prospective players and parents not concerned with the fact that the two teams in the NTDP are now being run by two guys who have a grand total of one year of head coaching experience at any level between them?

As a parent, I would be a little wary of sending my son to something that is akin to a National Coaches Development Program.

At least Moe had prior head coaching experience, as utterly unsuccessful as it was.

Juan is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:40 AM
  #36
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
They will be glad to tell you how their classes (which they are taking for FREE) are going at places such as Eastern Michigan University, Wayne State and Oakland University.
While those are indeed colleges that award degrees, I think perhaps people who play DI hockey at Michigan, Minnesota, DU, basically any ECAC school, and most of HE are probably getting a bit more out of their educations.

I bet those Whalers aren't taking full courseloads, and I doubt they're, say, living on a college campus enjoying a normal life for a kid their age. And I bet they don't particularly care they aren't, because they're completely focused on the NHL. That's fine. Congratulations. The CHL is a nice place to play and I can see why many players choose it.

But the NCAA has several advantages that have obvious appeal to kids. You may go on about the myth that playing in the CHL means you're throwing an education away, but it's just as much of a myth that you're throwing your NHL chances away by playing in the NCAA. Or even damaging them. It's good hockey. It's produced scores of NHL players, and draft numbers show that respect for the NCAA is on the upswing.

The CHL can offer all the educational packages it wants but the fact of the matter is that they're two different environments with different priorities and kids should pick the one they're more comfortable with. Nothing will ever change the fact that the CHL and NCAA are fundamentally different, and both will continue to get their share of talent. Why that's such a threat to you guys I don't know. No NCAA supporter really cares much about juniors, but you guys seem to have some ingrained hatred for college hockey. I don't get it. You piss me off with your constant unwarranted bashing of the NCAA... when was the last time one of these pissing contests was started by an NCAA supporter? I don't know.

And Juan, I think the hiring of Hynes is a good move for the NDTP. He's been with the program before, the kids have given unformly positive feedback about him, and he's never going to give the CHL a second look. He'll be a stabilizing influence. It might not work out but it's a damn good idea.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:38 PM
  #37
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
And Juan, I think the hiring of Hynes is a good move for the NDTP. He's been with the program before, the kids have given unformly positive feedback about him, and he's never going to give the CHL a second look. He'll be a stabilizing influence. It might not work out but it's a damn good idea.
So he knows where the pucks are kept, he's a nice guy, and he won't leave us if something better comes along.

All of that is well and good, but none of it addresses my original point: the top developmental program in the country, for ostensibly the best players in the country who are at a significant crossroads in their hockey careers (CHL vs. NCAA, NHL draft, etc.), should be run by people who have SOME head coaching experience. The guys there now have zero. IMO, it should not be the kind of program where the coaches are learning on the job. That is what coaching minor hockey is for.

At least from an optics/image perspective, if for no other reason.

And I would say the same thing if a CHL team made that kind of hire.

Juan is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:48 PM
  #38
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
I like you Funkymoses! You hit the nail on the head.
VOB Very obnonoxions butthead and JUAN a be me for a day.

bigd is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:03 PM
  #39
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Funkymoses]While those are indeed colleges that award degrees, I think perhaps people who play DI hockey at Michigan, Minnesota, DU, basically any ECAC school, and most of HE are probably getting a bit more out of their educations.

I bet those Whalers aren't taking full courseloads, and I doubt they're, say, living on a college campus enjoying a normal life for a kid their age. And I bet they don't particularly care they aren't, because they're completely focused on the NHL. That's fine. Congratulations. The CHL is a nice place to play and I can see why many players choose it.

But the NCAA has several advantages that have obvious appeal to kids. You may go on about the myth that playing in the CHL means you're throwing an education away, but it's just as much of a myth that you're throwing your NHL chances away by playing in the NCAA. Or even damaging them. It's good hockey. It's produced scores of NHL players, and draft numbers show that respect for the NCAA is on the upswing.

The CHL can offer all the educational packages it wants but the fact of the matter is that they're two different environments with different priorities and kids should pick the one they're more comfortable with. Nothing will ever change the fact that the CHL and NCAA are fundamentally different, and both will continue to get their share of talent. Why that's such a threat to you guys I don't know. No NCAA supporter really cares much about juniors, but you guys seem to have some ingrained hatred for college hockey. I don't get it. You piss me off with your constant unwarranted bashing of the NCAA... when was the last time one of these pissing contests was started by an NCAA supporter? I don't know.
QUOTE]

Funky,you are the typical NCAA supporter who cannot see his hand in front of his face because you are so much in the dark. Have you ever visited a Canadian college campus before? Well I have and the atmosphere there is no different than its U.S. counterparts! What is the difference between a kid who plays in the USHL and then goes on to the NCAA than a kid who plays in the OHL and then goes on to the CIS? ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!
Do you get it now? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE! Both of thes players are enjoying life in your so called pristine environment.

Its not us who initiate this type of discussion Funky, its people of your ilk! Someone wants to know something about the NTDP and along comes your typical Mr College or bust and throws out ridiculous statements like "My darn kids to smart to be going up theres in Kanadas to play with them dumb OHL folks, Nopey doody do, he be going the college route Yes n doody do do..." Its your typical arrogant belief that because a kid chooses to play in the CHL he is throwing away his education.

Posters such as Juan and I are merely trying to educate the ingnorant on this matter Funky and nothing more! The plain simple truth is (AND I DO MEAN TRUTH) that by playing in the OHL, you are securing your future educational needs PERIOD!

Do you want to know something that might shock you Funky? I am a season ticket holder of a CCHA team. I won't tell you which team because I am sure you will harass me about it but I will give you a hint. I will be down watching my team play yours at the infamous "Field House" on January 30th. Heck maybe I'll run into you there, who knows.

So you see Funky, I am not some anti NCAA guy, I have been a fan of the U.S. college game for over 15 years now. I simply prefer the Major Junior game more, but that is my own personal preference and I do not expect all to agree with me.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:55 PM
  #40
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
So he knows where the pucks are kept, he's a nice guy, and he won't leave us if something better comes along.

All of that is well and good, but none of it addresses my original point: the top developmental program in the country, for ostensibly the best players in the country who are at a significant crossroads in their hockey careers (CHL vs. NCAA, NHL draft, etc.), should be run by people who have SOME head coaching experience. The guys there now have zero. IMO, it should not be the kind of program where the coaches are learning on the job. That is what coaching minor hockey is for.

At least from an optics/image perspective, if for no other reason.

And I would say the same thing if a CHL team made that kind of hire.
Ummm.....do you even know what sort of experience Hynes brings to the NTDP? This guy isn't just some schmoe off the streets who the NTDP decided one day to bring in on a whim. Just because he hasn't had head coaching experience doesn't mean he's not capable of coaching the NTDP. He's already been a part of the NTDP...twice. Furthermore he's had extensive experience both on the national and international levels, working with players from the U-17, U18 and even NCAA programs. So I guess those things don't really count, right?


Quote:
So you see Funky, I am not some anti NCAA guy, I have been a fan of the U.S. college game for over 15 years now.
VOB: Judging by most of your posts here, one wouldn't know it.

If a kid is able to get a college education (regardless if it's in the US or Canada) and play in the CHL at the same time.....more power to him, and I hope he does well. The CHL is a great way to get to the NHL....I'm not nor have never knocked players who go the CHL route. They're doing what they feel is best for them.

But the fact remains that there ARE those who choose to go the NCAA route for a variety of reasons. Many of them are in the NHL right now, a good number of them even graduated, while others who started out in the NCAA have moved onto the pros yet still continue to work towards their degrees. So what if they played D-I hockey while going to school. They did what THEY (or their families in some cases) wanted to do. So what is so hard to understand about that?

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 02:25 PM
  #41
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
VOB: Judging by most of your posts here, one wouldn't know it.
When have I ever knocked the NCAA? I find it very amusing that because one is critical of the NTPD, he must therefore be against the NCAA.

What I am against is ignorance and arrogance. Posters who come on here and spout off comments like "if you're not smart enough for college..well then maybe the OHL is O.K" and so forth.

I think I have more than proved my point. You can receive a quality education by going through the OHL.

More Americans are realizing this now and that is why you are finding more of them going the CHL route.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 02:45 PM
  #42
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
When have I ever knocked the NCAA? I find it very amusing that because one is critical of the NTPD, he must therefore be against the NCAA.

What I am against is ignorance and arrogance. Posters who come on here and spout off comments like "if you're not smart enough for college..well then maybe the OHL is O.K" and so forth.

I think I have more than proved my point. You can receive a quality education by going through the OHL.

More Americans are realizing this now and that is why you are finding more of them going the CHL route.

Quote:
I am not knocking the NCAA (though I do believe that the NTDP should be disbanded) but if you are an elite level prospect with a great chance of making it to the pros, why would you want to take the NCAA route? Just look at all the NCAA players playing in the NHL today. Most of them never graduated because they ended up leaving early. So what was the point of them choosing that route in the first place? It certainly wasn't to earn a degree now was it?
This is a quote by you VOB. This is also a quote that's critical of NCAA (IMHO).

Now in reply to your recent post, I'd like to see changes (namely the funding thereof) to the NTDP as well. I think Herb Brooks made some valid arguments in the disbanding of the NTDP (I even put up a thread about it awhile back).

....now perhaps there are those who feel (and I'll use your words, VOB) "if you're not smart enough for college..well then maybe the OHL is O.K", but please don't count me among them.

I'm in favour of whichever route a player feels is the best for him. The NCAA must offer something (other than scholarships) to have so many talented players want to go this route, including playing hockey for these schools.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 03:58 PM
  #43
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Yes Oilers Chick, I am of the opinion that if your focus is soley on making it to the pros then the CHL is the route you should take. Why take a scholarship from some player who really wants to earn a degree, where as you will simply stay one or two years and then bail.

I would much rather see true student athletes in college, players who are there first and foremost to receive an education and then play a sport. I give full credit to players such as Gionta, Leopold and Lee Goren (amoung others)because they knew why they were in college, to graduate and then move on to the pros.

Players such as Tanabe, DiPietro and yes even Danny Heatley main focus was on getting drafted and then moving on to the pros sooner rather than later. In my opinion, they should have gone through the CHL route in the first place.

Sure, I know some will argue that college is where they wanted to play and develop but I truely feel that if you commit to the NCAA route, then commit all the way. Stay the full four years and then move on. If you are unwilling to do so, then play in the CHL.

But I digress. My main point was do not knock players who take the CHL route by saying they are "stupid". Its comments put forth by clueless posters such as bigd (I wonder if d stands for dummy who said, and I quote "If a kid has any kid of smarts he will go the College route. If you are not a good student then Major Junior will probably be your best shot!". That gets my ire up. Comments such as these are not only ignorant but arrogant as well. Perhaps bigd should contanct Dustin Brown, who is currently playing in the NHL as an 18 year old, after two stellar seasons with the Geulph Storm of the OHL. Dustin could tell bigd how he made the honor role and graduated from a private parochial highschool with an A average. Dustin could also tell him that had he wanted to, he could have played for Harvard or Yale. More importantly Dustin could also tell him that he was not the exception in the OHL, but rather the norm, as OHL players graduated at a significantly higher rate than their peers.

My arguement was never with you Oilers Chick, but rather against the clueless.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 10:10 PM
  #44
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Ummm.....do you even know what sort of experience Hynes brings to the NTDP? This guy isn't just some schmoe off the streets who the NTDP decided one day to bring in on a whim. Just because he hasn't had head coaching experience doesn't mean he's not capable of coaching the NTDP. He's already been a part of the NTDP...twice. Furthermore he's had extensive experience both on the national and international levels, working with players from the U-17, U18 and even NCAA programs. So I guess those things don't really count, right?
If ushr.com is accurate (and I have no reason to assume it is not), then I know exactly what sort of experience he brings to the NTDP. He worked as an assistant at the NTDP, at a few colleges and on a few international teams. He has not been in any single program for more than a couple of years.

In my opinion, this amount of experience is insufficient to coach (and run) what is supposed to be the top developmental program in the country. There must be dozens of coaches out there who have extensive head coaching experience at various levels and who would have been interested in taking on this challenge.

Like I said, I think it looks terrible from an image perspective, no matter how USA Hockey tries to spin it. The fact is that there are quite a few kids on the fence every spring between the NTDP and the CHL. When parents ask a coaching staff about its experience in developing players for the next level, they want to hear more than "well, I was an assistant...". When they ask about what teams that coach has been in charge of before, they presumably want to hear more than "none."

Don't get me wrong, there are bad coaches in the CHL and USHL as well, both experienced and inexperienced. But if I am a U.S. kid on the fence who wants the best coaching I can get, and I am recruited by Hynes/Quinn on one side and DeBoer, Butler or Kilrea on the other... uuhhhhhh...

At least Jackson had experience and a credible reputation as a successful head coach.

Juan is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 06:35 AM
  #45
catcher
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=VOB]Yes Oilers Chick, I am of the opinion that if your focus is soley on making it to the pros then the CHL is the route you should take. Why take a scholarship from some player who really wants to earn a degree, where as you will simply stay one or two years and then bail.

I would much rather see true student athletes in college, players who are there first and foremost to receive an education and then play a sport. I give full credit to players such as Gionta, Leopold and Lee Goren (amoung others)because they knew why they were in college, to graduate and then move on to the pros.

Players such as Tanabe, DiPietro and yes even Danny Heatley main focus was on getting drafted and then moving on to the pros sooner rather than later. In my opinion, they should have gone through the CHL route in the first place.

Sure, I know some will argue that college is where they wanted to play and develop but I truely feel that if you commit to the NCAA route, then commit all the way. Stay the full four years and then move on. If you are unwilling to do so, then play in the CHL.

Also, the NTDP players attend a local public school and I am sure they miss many days with all the travelling they do. They just went overseas. How many days did they take off for that? The fact is that most of these hockey players' goal is to play in the NHL. If they attend college on a scholarship, are NHL drafted and offered to sign, most will leave college early. The bottom line is that every player is different and will make the choice that they feel is right for them. We shouldn't knock them for that.

catcher is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 07:46 AM
  #46
FiveforFighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
First and foremost it is the player's choice which leagues to play in if those leagues want him. Let's hope an educated choice is the one that the player makes. There are many misconceptions in both directions. I would like to focus more on the rules that prohibit a player from doing what he wants. The biggest rule that I don't understand is that if a player playing in the CHL making a relatively small amount of spending money would be deamed ineligible to play NCAA Hockey. All these other leagues take care of all kinds of expenses: Room, Board, travelling, and general living expenses. And I wonder what kinds of other expenses. My point is that all leagues are the same age group and players should be able to play where they want to without be punished or losing their eligibility to play NCAA hockey. I can understand why they can't go back after playing pro but thats it. Free and open hockey, No rules no regulations. Play where you want when you want between the ages of 16 to 20, have a lot of fun, enjoy what life has brought you. If you can make Pro-hockey and want to play that great. If you want to play college and can make ti that's great too. Simple easy and overwith.
As for the education part of the CHL I found this link that some maybe interested in reading. When you get on the page after you read the article click CHL grads in CIS and you can see the number of graduates for last year and then click on 2001-2002 for the year before.
http://slam.ca/CHLCIS/home.html
I will also say that it is much harder to get a division one scholarship these days. It is simply a numbers game in that there are many more hockey players today looking to play division 1 hockey than ever before.
I know players right now who are finishing or out of high school who are still waiting for the big school to sign them to an agreament and who had the opportunity to play in the CHL and could have already earned a couple of years of university payed for through the CHL. Also Could you imagine how strong the college game would be if you allowed them to use that money to go play college hockey. IT's a WIN WIN situation for all involved and better hockey for all involved and better for all student athletes involved.

FiveforFighting is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
  #47
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Good post fiveforfighting. There are certain coaches in the NCAA who do whatever it takes to protect what Kyle Woodlief from Redline call their little fiefdoms. They fear that allowing Major Junior players into the college ranks would automatically steer all of the elite athletes to the pros and not college.
The reasoning used by the NCAA to keep CHL players ineligible is not based on the little monthly stipend they receive (most Junior players in all leagues usually receive something) but rather they are deemed proffesionals becasue they are playing with and against players who have signed pro contracts.
The NCAA's utter hypocracy on the matter becomes evident when it allows its best players to compete in the World Junior Championships. In this case it is perfectly fine for college players to play with and against players who have signed pro contracts.

I agree, it would be win win situation for both sides if the NCAA would drop this insane rule disallowing kids from playing U.S. college hockey because they played in the CHL.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 09:30 PM
  #48
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
VOB: I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks the NCAA's ruling about the CHL being (in their eyes) a so-called "pro" league.

BTW, I've read enough of Kyle Woodlief's stuff to know that he's not always the most um...... reliable (for a lack of better term) source of info when it comes to prospects (just my opinion mind you).

Juan: If you're implying that USA Hockey get someone to take over the NTDP from the D-I ranks, then they'll be hard-pressed to try and get many (if any at all) to leave their respective schools. I mean, I just can't see Jack Parker leaving BU or Red Berenson leaving Michigan. Even coaches from lesser known D-I schools such as Rick Gotkin (Mercyhurst) and Doug Ross (UAH) would likely not leave the schools they've coached for for so long either. If USA Hockey wanted to tap someone with head coaching experiencing, they'd be better off trying to get either one of the D-III or perhaps someone from either the USHL or NAHL.

But I disagree that Hynes was a bad choice (maybe he'll be awful and prove me wrong. ), but I'd say give the guy a chance. If he succeeds great, if not then simply replace him.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 02:13 AM
  #49
VOB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
:

Juan: If you're implying that USA Hockey get someone to take over the NTDP from the D-I ranks, then they'll be hard-pressed to try and get many (if any at all) to leave their respective schools. I mean, I just can't see Jack Parker leaving BU or Red Berenson leaving Michigan. Even coaches from lesser known D-I schools such as Rick Gotkin (Mercyhurst) and Doug Ross (UAH) would likely not leave the schools they've coached for for so long either. If USA Hockey wanted to tap someone with head coaching experiencing, they'd be better off trying to get either one of the D-III or perhaps someone from either the USHL or NAHL.

But I disagree that Hynes was a bad choice (maybe he'll be awful and prove me wrong. ), but I'd say give the guy a chance. If he succeeds great, if not then simply replace him.
Not quite true Oilers Chick. Jeff Jackson was the head coach of Lake Superior State University for five full seasons before he left to take over the job of being the NTDP head coach. While LSSU has fallen on hard times lately, many probably think that LSSU is some D-3 school and who wouldn't want to leave and "step up" to the NTDP? Fact is that LSSU was a national powerhouse when Jeff Jackson left, winning three national titles in a 7 year time frame and winning the CCHA crown and an NCAA quarterfinalist during Jackson's last year.

VOB is offline  
Old
11-13-2003, 02:54 AM
  #50
Alliance
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
The NCAA rule not allowing Major Junior players to play goes beyond stupidity to actually harming teams in the NCAA itsself. Remember Mike Broduer? He was tabbed to be Wisconsin's goalie of the future after having a stellar career in the AJHL. He was drafted by the NHL and was considered to be the best incoming freshman goalie until it was discovered he played one period of an exhibition game in the WHL. He was then deemed inelligible to play in the U.S.

Now who really got hurt here? Broduer I believe signed a contract with the Chicago Blackhawks (made some good coin) and is now enjoying himself in the WHL where he is doing very well. In short, he didn't miss a beat.

Wisconsin on the other hand lost out on a great goaltender.

Funkymoses asked what we WHL/CHL fans are afraid of when it comes to the NCAA. Answer is Nothing! The real question is what is the NCAA afraid of?

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.