HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gonchar to San Jose proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Tinordi24*

vCash: 500
Gonchar to San Jose proposal

Well we in Washington know that Crazy Ron loved Sergei and probably would welcome him with the Sharks.

The Caps would prefer to reduce payroll but we all here know McPhee is asking a kings ransom for the "Goocher"

When reality settles in I would think the Sharks (provided they are in contention later in the year) and Caps would be good trading partners.

My take would work around like this:

Mclaren OR Stuart, plus 1st and 3rd

for

Gonchar

Old
11-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Stuart and Ehrhoff for Gonchar and a 2nd

Old
11-07-2003, 07:25 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Isn't Gonchar a UFA next year?

Old
11-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Isn't Gonchar a UFA next year?
No. He will be a UFA the year after that I believe.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:52 AM
txpd

Gonchar's deal is up after this year, but he will be restricted. He will likely be of UFA age in the new CBA. The CBA ends after camp opens.
So....thats an interesting situation to deal with.

Wilson thought so much of Gonchar that he kept him away from all defensive situations. Tightly managed his minutes. As opposed to Cassidy who has used him as the primary defenseman.

Gonchar will not be traded.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:29 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
Well we in Washington know that Crazy Ron loved Sergei and probably would welcome him with the Sharks.

The Caps would prefer to reduce payroll but we all here know McPhee is asking a kings ransom for the "Goocher"

When reality settles in I would think the Sharks (provided they are in contention later in the year) and Caps would be good trading partners.

for

Gonchar
so would skoula OR Liles plus the avs lst and Florida's 2nd from the worrell trade be of interest to the caps?

i figure the difference in 2nd to 3rd would be of equal value from mclaren to skoula etc.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
so would skoula OR Liles plus the avs lst and Florida's 2nd from the worrell trade be of interest to the caps?

i figure the difference in 2nd to 3rd would be of equal value from mclaren to skoula etc.

I dont think the Caps would want any part of Skoula b/c we have defensemen like him already. They need a physical presence or at least someone strong in his own end.

Liles is interesting as I have heard nothing but good about him but have yet to see him play.

Knowing McPhees shrewdness I expect the Caps to either get a lot more for him or not trade him at all tho. Not saying that I agree with it but thats just his style.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
I dont think the Caps would want any part of Skoula b/c we have defensemen like him already. They need a physical presence or at least someone strong in his own end.

Liles is interesting as I have heard nothing but good about him but have yet to see him play.

Knowing McPhees shrewdness I expect the Caps to either get a lot more for him or not trade him at all tho. Not saying that I agree with it but thats just his style.
Gonchar is not on the market. This comes from one of those wild canadian media reports that even the Leafs have said has no foundation.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Gonchar is not on the market. This comes from one of those wild canadian media reports that even the Leafs have said has no foundation.
Youre deluding yourself. The Caps desperately want to dump salary and will not be able to afford to resign Gonchar anyhow.

If they dont trade him they will lose him for nothing.

McPhee and Ted have always lied. The kiss of death is when they come out and say "This player isnt going to be traded" or "We're not gonna fire the coach"

Cassidy is gone and Gonchar will follow at the very latest by the deadline this year.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
txpd

time will tell. only time will tell. we have between now and march to find out. its been my experience that trades talked about on these boards don't happen. that trades talked about in the media rarely happen. AND that the trades that the Capitals make are never talked about before they happen.

Take all that together and it tells me that Gonchar is not going anywhere.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

That you ask for Mclaren or Stuart makes me laugh. There's a big difference in quality there.

I'd gladly do a Gonchar-Stuart + other stuff swap, but why on earth would the Sharks?

Old
11-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL

Maybe in terms of Maclaren, but Stuart is not comparable to Liles or Skoula, with or without the draft picks. I would trade Gonchar for Stuart straight up before trading Gonchar for Liles OR Skoula and the draft picks you mention.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:29 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Stuart, plus 1st and 3rd

for

Gonchar

I missed the dotted line....where is it? Blue? Black?

Old
11-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Marmax

Quote:

for

Gonchar

First, if I was San Jose Gm there is almost no way I would let Brad Stuart go. He is the complete package and still full of potential. Moreover, if find it really funny that you consider Mclaren and Stuart interchangable and having the same value. Did mention that San Jose first will likely be a very high one?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Youre deluding yourself. The Caps desperately want to dump salary and will not be able to afford to resign Gonchar anyhow.

If they dont trade him they will lose him for nothing.
And yet you think that his trade value is Stuart, a 1st and a 3rd??? You're just too far off here, buddy. The fact that he'll be very expensive to resign SERIOUSLY lowers his trade value.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

No chance Wilson lets go of Stuart. He'd just awesome. McLaren, on the other hand, seems a bit interesting. Washington needs a hard hitting d-man, and McLaren fits the description.

And, for those that say Gonchar is going no where, don't count on it. McPhee wants to cut salary, and since no one wants to take Jagr or Lang, and Kolzig doesn't want to leave, Gonchar is the answer.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:32 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
I don't want to get started on Gonchar to Colorado rumors, but I highly doubt the Avalanche move John-Michael Liles. They consider him the best one out of our young defensemen... Martin Skoula, Tomas Slovak, Johnny Boychuk, Keith Ballard and Mikko Vittanen in my honest opinion.

If the Avalanche do business with Washington, it'll be centered around Olaf Kolzig. The only addition the Avalanche need to their defense corps is a defensive minded second pairing caliber defenseman. Gonchar, while a tremendous player, would cost us valuable assets that would be better served in trying to upgrade the goaltending department.

Anybody who thinks Pierre Lacroix will enter the 2004 playoffs with Aebischer as his starter is fooling themselves.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Didn't Stuart miss a good chunk of the season with a pretty serious concussion?

Old
11-08-2003, 01:07 PM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Didn't Stuart miss a good chunk of the season with a pretty serious concussion?
Bingo! I really like Stuart, but his development is being hindered by some injuries. Although missing most of last year was problably a good thing considering SJ's situation.

As for Gonchar, SJ WON'T move Stuart. McLaren is a different matter all together. We brought BIG MAC in to be that physical, hard-hitting defenseman that every team needs. UNfortunately, he's been playing like he found some skill someplace. After an apparent talking to by the coach, Mac's been playing a little tougher on the blueline, but he still has plenty of room to step it up.

That said, i'd be willing to part with McLaren + 3rd for Gonchar.

Old
11-08-2003, 02:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoFan
That said, i'd be willing to part with McLaren + 3rd for Gonchar.
How very generous of you

Old
11-08-2003, 10:04 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I agree that gonchar probably isn't going anywhere. However Brad Stuart would at least get them to listen... Its a question about the rest of the package between the two teams to make it work.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I disagree

I think the $8 million dman is history. The CBA could end up making Gonchar a bargain at $6.5 in his prime years.

Closed Thread