HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neil Smith back in the NHL as GM

Old
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Neil Smith back in the NHL as GM

Neil Smith is back in New York...on Long Island though.

Nolan and Smith Hired

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 08:33 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
bout time nolan found some work.

Good for Smith, even though he's taking over a shipwreck.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 08:54 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
bout time nolan found some work.

Good for Smith, even though he's taking over a shipwreck.
If not making the playoffs for 1 year is a shipwreck, then what is not making the playoffs for 7 years like you guys did before this season?

As for this rumor i will look at it as that until a better source reports it. Personally i would like it, i always though Smith had his hands tied when he was the Rangers GM and is a good hockey guy.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
If not making the playoffs for 1 year is a shipwreck, then what is not making the playoffs for 7 years like you guys did before this season?
I doubt you'll find anyone here who would call those 7 years anything less than a disaster.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think its a good move, unfortunately

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
hockey_nut

tsn's saying the isles will hire smith... looks legit overall... good move, imo, for the isles

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:45 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I think its a good move, unfortunately
I do too.

I always thought Smith was a solid GM and was just basically forced by Dolan to make all those bad moves under his pressure.

He's taking over a team with very little depth and prospect depth, however. Gonna be hard to turn them around.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I do too.

I always thought Smith was a solid GM and was just basically forced by Dolan to make all those bad moves under his pressure.

He's taking over a team with very little depth and prospect depth, however. Gonna be hard to turn them around.

Agree on the first part. I think you are in grave err on the latter. We have some good prospective depth...not great mind you..but not too bad.

here's a pic of one of his first things he will address.....

http://www.boredplanet.com/img/agentsmithisles.jpg

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:44 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
****...those are two ballsy moves by Wang. I wish Smith got hired elsewhere, cause I always liked the guy especially when compared to Sather. Through the tough years Smith was always accessable, and never thought twice about promoting the Rangers as a classy organization, he always made it a thing to say how great NY is and how great of an organzation it is. With Milbury still there you never know though, Wang is a damn fool for keeping him.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
polako

FANTASTIC move by the isles. Both of these guys deserved their jobs a long time ago. Nolan should be coaching with a huge chip on his shoulder.

If Wang was looking to make a splash, well, he sure succeeded.

I cannot believe I'm saying this and hope lightning won't strike me as I type this, but bravo isles.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
He's taking over a team with very little depth and prospect depth.
I'll take issue with that last part as well. Any more NHL talent and there would be a backlog.

Nilsson
Bergenheim
Nokelainen
O'Marra
Tambellini
Comeau
Colliton
Gervais

All those guys are near certain NHL players and almost all of them have some NHL experience already. Aside from having no goaltenders, the Islanders prospect depth is fine.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:51 PM
bk3nj

can't say that I like it (from the viewpoint of a Ranger fan), which means (unfortunately) it must be a good move for the Isles.

I've always wondered how long it would take Nolan to get back into the league. It's been a real shame that it's taken so long for another club to bring him back into the NHL.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
I'll take issue with that last part as well. Any more NHL talent and there would be a backlog.

Nilsson
Bergenheim
Nokelainen
O'Marra
Tambellini
Comeau
Colliton
Gervais

All those guys are near certain NHL players and almost all of them have some NHL experience already. Aside from having no goaltenders, the Islanders prospect depth is fine.
I hate the islanders, no shock there, but this is a great move by the isles in getting a coach in nolan who is great with kids and finds a way to get the most out of his veterans (hello yashin)

the isles are in better shape than the rangers when sather took over so no smith is not walking into a shipwreck and they have younger players like DP, tambellini, campolli, grebeshkov, martinek, bates, hunter, and nilsson

the isles could end up being a very good young team this coming season and we should see a team (similar to the this years rangers) that puts an effort every game and keeps the games close

i really like nolan and smith, im just bummed they are now isles, but this is a great move for the isles

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Here's hoping that Smith shares the same type of sucess with the Islanders that Trottier did with the Rangers...

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan
Here's hoping that Smith shares the same type of sucess with the Islanders that Trottier did with the Rangers...
I second that.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Langevin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan
Smith was drafted by us in 1974, worked as a scout (got a stanley cup ring from the 81-82 team), so technically he is returning home.

Langevin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 11:55 PM
bigblue21

Kinda on the fence with Smith as a GM, but hiring Nolan as a coach would be a GREAT move. Kudos to Isles if it's true.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Kinda on the fence with Smith as a GM, but hiring Nolan as a coach would be a GREAT move. Kudos to Isles if it's true.

Now only if Dolan would leave and we hire JD as Dolans replacement.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Now only if Dolan would leave and we hire JD as Dolans replacement.
You mean, like, hire JD as the owner of the team, right?

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

Nilsson
Bergenheim
Nokelainen
O'Marra
Tambellini
Comeau
Colliton
Gervais

Those are a few nice players, but where's the depth after that? The Rangers are chock full of depth. We almost have too much!

The Isles prospect pool is top heavy. But not in a great way. Top heavy in that there are some nice players and probably 2nd and 3rd liners and MAYBE a 1st liner (but that's a HUGE streatch right now). After that who is there? No one, basically. IMO Tambellini is your best prospect right now. He's a solid prospect, but you guys really, really have little to no depth after the top few players.

Old
06-08-2006, 12:29 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Actually, I think that Shea Guthrie will probably be better than O'Marra. He was pretty great this year in his freshman year and I think he'll be a decent steal. I wasn't a fan of O'Marra at the draft and I've NEVER been a fan of Grebeshkov (from the time the Kings drafted him). I don't see anything more than a #3/4 defenseman, and a fairly ordinary one at that.

Old
06-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Those are a few nice players, but where's the depth after that? The Rangers are chock full of depth. We almost have too much!

The Isles prospect pool is top heavy. But not in a great way. Top heavy in that there are some nice players and probably 2nd and 3rd liners and MAYBE a 1st liner (but that's a HUGE streatch right now). After that who is there? No one, basically. IMO Tambellini is your best prospect right now. He's a solid prospect, but you guys really, really have little to no depth after the top few players.
Yeah, this is a whole other topic for a whole other day I think. I don't want this thread to spiral in an unintended direction, but my theory is that quality beats quantity and any NHL team would have a hard time adding eight QUALITY prospects to their main team over a short period of time. The depth of prospects on the Islanders doesn't concern me in the least. They have more than enough NHL quality depth, and I don't care how they fill out the Bridgeport Sound Tiger roster.

Oh, and I know you love the NCAA kids, but Tambellini has no hands. He's nowhere near the pro prospect Nilsson is, and below Bergernheim and Nokelainen in my books. I've never seen anything in him that makes me think he'll be able to play consistently on the 1st or 2nd line in the NHL. But as I said, this discussion is for another time and place...

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 12:37 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Actually, I think that Shea Guthrie will probably be better than O'Marra. He was pretty great this year in his freshman year and I think he'll be a decent steal. I wasn't a fan of O'Marra at the draft and I've NEVER been a fan of Grebeshkov (from the time the Kings drafted him). I don't see anything more than a #3/4 defenseman, and a fairly ordinary one at that.
Beyond the other 2 guys you mentioned in here, we do have Wes O'Neil(who i would describe as a "project") and Dustin Kohn. While our pool does not have that all star/first liner, i think we have alot of great 2nd/3rd line and 4-6 defensemen talent that should help fill out our team cheaply over the next few years.

I think the islanders prospect pool is more a case of strength in numbers as opposed to strength in one or 2 guys who could be top flight players(while our #1-5 might not be the best, our 6-10th are better then most).

I actually like O'Marra and think he is the perfect 2nd/3rd line center. One thing looking at our list is beside Nilsson or Grebeshkov, the rest of the player you can describe as "character" players.

Last edited by boredmale: 06-08-2006 at 12:45 AM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 12:43 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Yeah, this is a whole other topic for a whole other day I think. I don't want this thread to spiral in an unintended direction, but my theory is that quality beats quantity and any NHL team would have a hard time adding eight QUALITY prospects to their main team over a short period of time. The depth of prospects on the Islanders doesn't concern me in the least. They have more than enough NHL quality depth, and I don't care how they fill out the Bridgeport Sound Tiger roster.

Oh, and I know you love the NCAA kids, but Tambellini has no hands. He's nowhere near the pro prospect Nilsson is, and below Bergernheim and Nokelainen in my books. I've never seen anything in him that makes me think he'll be able to play consistently on the 1st or 2nd line in the NHL. But as I said, this discussion is for another time and place...
To me, Tambellini is a project. If he's treated right and brought along right I think he can be easily the best out of the bunch. The kid is such a smart hockey player.

And actually at the time of the draft I didn't like him much at all. Wasn't a fan. He's really grown on me, though.

Old
06-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Pizza

Good move.

...and I hope he turns them into a solid franchise. Much as I like watching the Rangers pound them, I want the best they can give. It's good for hockey when the Rangers and Islanders are both good and hating each others guts.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote