HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The biggest ??? in next years lineup....

Old
06-09-2006, 09:09 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
The biggest ??? in next years lineup....

will be who will be the 2nd line center as this IMO will be a key factor in how good of a team we can be next year because I think it's a lock that our other shortcoming, the top 6 dmen will be significantly improved with the return of Rachunek and the ability to replace Poti and possibly Rosival's salary with some significant upgrades from the best bunch of UFA dmen to ever hit the market in the same year.

Of course the hope is that one of Dubinsky who from the sounds of it may have a York like early impact but more likely Immonen would be able to fill that role but I think Dubie should be in Hartford for the year getting all the ice time in the world and rounding out his game and I don't know if Immonen is ready to be a 2nd line center for 82 games in the NHL and unlike alot of people I really don't see a downside if he were on the 3rd line with say a Ruchinsky and a Ward on the RW because in todays NHL as we see with the Canes and the Sabres it's all about 4 lines now and each of them need to have skating ability and now more than ever the practice of having each line with certain characteristics is out the window and the top 3 lines are all speddy 2-way lines on good team with the 4th being an energy line that all 3 guys have PK ability so I have zero problems with Immonen centering a "3rd" line because it would give us some offense from that spot that we sorely lacked last season.

2 other factors on why targeting a legit #2 center needs and should be addressed is because a) we have the cap room to sign one to fill the hole because we have the luxury of having alot of wingers putting up really good #'s for comparitively cheap prices i.e. Rosie, Straka, Prucha, even only 1/2 of Jagr's salary and b) Nylander is only under contract for this year with a very cheap team/player option for next so if we sign a guy this year it won't block a move of Dubinsky or Immonen to the top 2 lines if they show that's where they belong.

Now identifying the right guys is obviously the hard part.

On the UFA front you don't have much with Savard and Arnott being the 2 big catches.Arnott while I like doesn't fit in withour style of players and I'd rather get more speed in the 2nd line spot as well as him getting a big payday off of his big yr last year last season so I'd pass on him.

Savard on the other hand I think is the guy I'd make a serious run at despite some of the concerns with him as far as his attitude and there are a few reasons why.

---I think he finally "get's it" and grew up the last few yrs in Atl after having trouble in Calagry.The kids has always had world class skills and confidence but his cockiness and attitude hurt him because of his inmatturity early in his career.

Now under Hartley, who is as harda$% as they come as far as coaches and whom Savard has credited with making him a much better player I think he's finally figured it all out and with the rule changes that benefit his game tremendously much like Briere, I think he's a lock as a top 20 scorer over the next couple of years.

On top of that he's a termendous playmaker and if he is flanked by 2 snipers in Prucha and Sykora as he should be I think they can be a really dynamic line that could really give us a lethal 1-2 punch coupled with the Jagr line.

I'd throw out a 4 year 4.5 per deal to him and see if that could get it done.If Richards got 7.8 million I'd go as high as 4.75 million for a Savard because while he isn;t the the leader Richards is but for 3 million less per year he'll put up similar if not better offensive #'s IMO.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Savard-Sykora
Ruchinsky-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Moore/Orts

The other route you can go is the stop gap route like we tried with Rucchin by trying to sign an older guy to a one year deal but even there the picking are pretty slim as well.Allison will be available and may sign a one year deal but although a great playmaker his lack of speed and pouting in Toronto would probrably scare me off and then you have Weight who will likely resign in either Carolina or as rumoured back in St Louis and his game has dropped off so I wouldn't give him the likely 2 yrs it would take to get him signed.

Other then that not much out there.Maybe a trade for Brendan Morrison on the cheap and hope he rebounds but top 6 centers will be in short supply and they will be highly coveted so I just wanted to see what ideas other may have as far as addressing the hole we have in that spot.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 09:18 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11
will be who will be the 2nd line center as this IMO will be a key factor in how good of a team we can be next year because I think it's a lock that our other shortcoming, the top 6 dmen will be significantly improved with the return of Rachunek and the ability to replace Poti and possibly Rosival's salary with some significant upgrades from the best bunch of UFA dmen to ever hit the market in the same year.

Of course the hope is that one of Dubinsky who from the sounds of it may have a York like early impact but more likely Immonen would be able to fill that role but I think Dubie should be in Hartford for the year getting all the ice time in the world and rounding out his game and I don't know if Immonen is ready to be a 2nd line center for 82 games in the NHL and unlike alot of people I really don't see a downside if he were on the 3rd line with say a Ruchinsky and a Ward on the RW because in todays NHL as we see with the Canes and the Sabres it's all about 4 lines now and each of them need to have skating ability and now more than ever the practice of having each line with certain characteristics is out the window and the top 3 lines are all speddy 2-way lines on good team with the 4th being an energy line that all 3 guys have PK ability so I have zero problems with Immonen centering a "3rd" line because it would give us some offense from that spot that we sorely lacked last season.

2 other factors on why targeting a legit #2 center needs and should be addressed is because a) we have the cap room to sign one to fill the hole because we have the luxury of having alot of wingers putting up really good #'s for comparitively cheap prices i.e. Rosie, Straka, Prucha, even only 1/2 of Jagr's salary and b) Nylander is only under contract for this year with a very cheap team/player option for next so if we sign a guy this year it won't block a move of Dubinsky or Immonen to the top 2 lines if they show that's where they belong.

On the UFA front you don't have much with Savard and Arnott being the 2 big catches.Arnott while I like doesn't fit in withour style of players and I'd rather get more speed in the 2nd line spot as well as him getting a big payday off of his big yr last year last season so I'd pass on him.

Savard on the other hand I think is the guy I'd make a serious run at despite some of the concerns with him as far as his attitude and there are a few reasons why.

---I think he finally "get's it" and grew up the last few yrs in Atl after having trouble in Calagry.The kids has always had world class skills and confidence but his cockiness and attitude hurt him because of his inmatturity early in his career.

Now under Hartley, who is as harda$% as they come as far as coaches and whom Savard has credited with making him a much better player I think he's finally figured it all out and with the rule changes that benefit his game tremendously much like Briere, I think he's a lock as a top 20 scorer over the next couple of years.

On top of that he's a termendous playmaker and if he is flanked by 2 snipers in Prucha and Sykora as he should be I think they can be a really dynamic line that could really give us a lethal 1-2 punch coupled with the Jagr line.

I'd throw out a 4 year 4.5 per deal to him and see if that could get it done.If Richards got 7.8 million I'd go as high as 4.75 million for a Savard because while he isn;t the the leader Richards is but for 3 million less per year he'll put up similar if not better offensive #'s IMO.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Savard-Sykora
Ruchinsky-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Moore/Orts

The other route you can go is the stop gap route like we tried with Rucchin by trying to sign an older guy to a one year deal but even there the picking are pretty slim as well.Allison will be available and may sign a one year deal but although a great playmaker his lack of speed and pouting in Toronto would probrably scare me off and then you have Weight who will likely resign in either Carolina or as rumoured back in St Louis and his game has dropped off so I wouldn't give him the likely 2 yrs it would take to get him signed.

Other then that not much out there.Maybe a trade for Brendan Morrison on the cheap and hope he rebounds but top 6 centers will be in short supply and they will be highly coveted so I just wanted to see what ideas other may have as far as addressing the hole we have in that spot.
I like those lines, just factor out Rucinsky and Moore, put Hollweg on the 3rd line, because of all of the HMO line, Hollweg has the most offensive potential. He's got the best hands and offensive sense of those three, and he's responsible defensively. Put Betts with Ortmeyer and Helminen, and give Dubinsky a year to develop in Hartford if he doesn't have an excellent training camp. You don't want to rush him. He's got quite the bit of potential.

Although if you think about it, we have Immonen and Dubinsky almost ready to take on more involved roles, and that might prompt a stop-gap signing of about two years, and if that's the case, I'd say Jason Allison would be the best fit. He'd come cheap with an incentive laden contract, and although his injuries have been trouble for him, he's a solid player. I'd love to sign Joe Sakic or Doug Weight to a stop-gap contract like that, but I think neither of them will leave where they are now.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
KasparKrunch

Quote:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Savard-Sykora
Ruchinsky-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Moore/Orts

second he wont be back
third savard is gonna get atleast 5.5 million

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 06-09-2006 at 09:55 AM.
KasparKrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Longest. Sentence. Ever.

On topic, I don't really want Savard. He's skilled, but he's small, not physical, and not the greatest defensively. I'd rather have Straka center the 2nd line because at least you can count on him defensively. Also he has no character issues, and while maybe Savard has erased that, the current Rangers philosophy doesn't allow for any guys who have ANY issues with attitude. I don't think we'll make an offer.

IMO best case would be that either Immonen or Dubinsky earns the right to center the 2nd line. Actually I wouldn't mind even if we weren't winning games, in my mind we're still in a rebuild and I could deal with not making the playoffs if it meant better development of these guys.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 09:47 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasparKrunch
second he wont be back
third savard is gonna get atleast 5.5 million

How much do you want to bet that Ruchinsky comes back?

And I don't see him getting 5.5 million based upon one year unless it was a shorter term deal.I think he gets maybe 20 million over 4 or maybe if he was willing to take less yrs 16.5 over 3 yrs.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 06-09-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old
06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Also he has no character issues, and while maybe Savard has erased that, the current Rangers philosophy doesn't allow for any guys who have ANY issues with attitude.
I'd like you to meet Jaromir Jagr. Did you not forget that Jagr pushed Sather to build the team the way it is? Just imagine if he didn't listen. If there's anyone on the team you have to worry about with attitude issues, it's Jagr. Because Jagr when he's happy can dominate like he did last season, and if not, you're screwed, and you've got a waste of space on your hands.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
I don't really want Savard. He's skilled, but he's small, not physical, and not the greatest defensively. I'd rather have Straka center the 2nd line because at least you can count on him defensively.

IMO best case would be that either Immonen or Dubinsky earns the right to center the 2nd line. Actually I wouldn't mind even if we weren't winning games, in my mind we're still in a rebuild and I could deal with not making the playoffs if it meant better development of these guys.
Ditto!

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Larry Melnyk

I would love Marc Savard on this team...The guy has matured big time, is a team player, is one of the best passers in the game, is a pain in the *** to the other team, plays PP, PK, and takes FOs, and has been one of the too point per game leaders in the NHL for the last two NHL seasons..

That being said, if you have Nylander (unfortunately we do), you don't have Savard and him as the top 2 C...Nor Straka...

I agree that the 2nd line C is a big issue, but I see now way that anybody we have in the organization is able or, in the case of guys like Immonen and DUbinsky, ready for that spot...My bet is we either sign or trade for a 2nd C..Waiting for July 1st..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
True Blue

Why not see what we have in the system first before rushing head-long into UFA's? For once, we have an opportunity to rebuild. Let's see what we have. I would think that a 25 year-old that virtually a point/per game player and led his team in scoring in the AHL would be a good start.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Why not see what we have in the system first before rushing head-long into UFA's? For once, we have an opportunity to rebuild. Let's see what we have. I would think that a 25 year-old that virtually a point/per game player and led his team in scoring in the AHL would be a good start.
If all worked out I'd have Immonen making the team however as a 3rd line center as opposed to 2nd line which isn't a slight to Immonen because if he has say Ruchinsky-Ward on his wings he'd still have guy capable of buring chances he'd create and would provide us with scoring depth from the bottom 2 lines, something that killed us last yr with the HMO line being our 3rd.

And then next year Nylander has an option at a very reasonable price that we could either pick up or trade but if Immonen thrives and Dubinsky proves ready after a year in the AHL then Immonen slides up to the 2nd line spot behind maybe a Savard as the #1 and Dubinsky centers the 3rd line.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I would love Marc Savard on this team...The guy has matured big time, is a team player, is one of the best passers in the game, is a pain in the *** to the other team, plays PP, PK, and takes FOs, and has been one of the too point per game leaders in the NHL for the last two NHL seasons..

People here are still getting caught up with what a cocky little SOB he was in his time here but like alot of people he reached a turning point where he grew up and finally figured out how to put it all together much like Bertuzzi did before the moore incident and the fact that Savard experienced this turnaround under one of the toughest coaches in the NHL in Hartley I think says alot.

The kid isn't perfect but the new rules fit his game to a tee and his skating and the fact that he is amoungst the top 5 playmakers in the NHL makes him quite attractive in my eyes.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:20 PM
94now

Quote:
People here are still getting caught up with what a cocky little SOB he was in his time here but like alot of people he reached a turning point where he grew up and finally figured out how to put it all together much like Bertuzzi did before the moore incident and the fact that Savard experienced this turnaround under one of the toughest coaches in the NHL in Hartley I think says alot.

The kid isn't perfect but the new rules fit his game to a tee and his skating and the fact that he is amoungst the top 5 playmakers in the NHL makes him quite attractive in my eyes.
Frankly, we need Holik (or more accurate what he was) back. We need a solid two way guy. Immonen has everithing on paper for it. Savard is a scoring C. He is 5'10" only.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

There are TWO immediate needs to be filled based on last years performance.

1. Non Jagarian Offensive Threat. Be it a Center, a Winger whatever, he HAS to be a Bona Fide Playmaker. Someone OTHER than JJ who can CREATE offense consistently. A playmaker. Not a sniper. Not just someone who will camp infront of the net. A Playmaker.

Brad Richards would have been nice. Patrik Elias would be nicer. Some surprise stud from the Pack would be even nicer.

2. Dominant Elite Defensmen There are umpteen threads on what will become of the choice D men coming to UFA this summer. Signing ANY one of them would be great for the Rangers. Staal making the team would be exciting, and I think we would all be willing to cut him some learning curve once he gets here....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Nich

no to ruchinsky!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot
There are TWO immediate needs to be filled based on last years performance.

1. Non Jagarian Offensive Threat. Be it a Center, a Winger whatever, he HAS to be a Bona Fide Playmaker. Someone OTHER than JJ who can CREATE offense consistently. A playmaker. Not a sniper. Not just someone who will camp infront of the net. A Playmaker.

Brad Richards would have been nice. Patrik Elias would be nicer. Some surprise stud from the Pack would be even nicer.

2. Dominant Elite Defensmen There are umpteen threads on what will become of the choice D men coming to UFA this summer. Signing ANY one of them would be great for the Rangers. Staal making the team would be exciting, and I think we would all be willing to cut him some learning curve once he gets here....
A playmaker up front is the whole point of my post because as I stated we have the scorers on the wing, especially on the 2nd line if Prucha and Sykora are the wingers on that line they need somebody alot better at distributing the puck then say a Rucchin was because otherwise it's wasting their scoring abilities if it's a doughnut line.

As for upgarding the defense, I feel confidently that we'll either get Chara or some combination of Kubina-Mitchell-Johnsson-Mckee and then factor in the likely return of Rachunek and we'll have a substantially better top 6 then we did last year.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
DutchShamrock

I really hope we land a strong, tough NA forward so I can stop hearing how Jagr is the defacto GM. The biggest question for next year is if anyone can beat that run-on sentence. After that it will certainly be the 2nd line center. That lineup is ok but I would like to see Dawes instead of Rucinsky.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
no to ruchinsky!!!
I don't get why people don't want Rosie back.

Prior to his knee injury he was our best 2 way player and was our second leading scorer and finished at a PAG pace.

His wheels, versatility to play on any of the top 3 lines, ability to play both PP and PK, his desire to play in NY and no where else and the rumored under the table deal that was supposively struck between him and Slats where he's return for somewhere around 1 million make it an absolute no brainer for a one year deal.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
In The Flesh

I don't want Ruchinsky back, but he probably will be. He was really a non-factor most of the time. I like Savard if we could get him but really Atl and NYR are really in the same spot devolping wise, the only reason I can see him leaving is $$$. I also don't think Immonen is ready for the 82 game NHL schedule, same with Dubi, inless of course they have an excellent training camp, like someone said previously. I see the lines looking like this.

Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Savard Sykora
Hollwegg Betts Ruchinsky
Ward Moore Orts

Thats if none of the players from the Pack make it, and if we do get Savard. But know that I look at it we are still weak up front. To get somebody worth what we want, I think we're going to have to make a trade, because I just don't like any of the big hard nosed centers that are in the UFA market.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Elias-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Straka-Sykora
Dawes-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Orts
Moore (this guy needs to pull his offensive weight)

ideally the season after, Immonen is your 2nd line center and Dubinsky becomes your 3rd.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
I would like to see Dawes instead of Rucinsky.
Absolutely. There is no need for a rebuilding team to bring back a 36 year-old to play the 3rd line.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I don't get why people don't want Rosie back.
Because he is a round peg in a square hole. There are two reasons why he has no place on this team. First of all, if he is brought back, I am not so sure that it would be to play the 3rd line. If brought back, that may mean that Prucha gets pushed down to the 3rd line. And that would be absolutely assinine and no way to develop your 30 goal-scoring rookie.
Second, let's say that he is brough back and Prucha does not get pushed down. That would mean that Rucinsky is on the 3rd line. Why? Helminen is ready to take over Moore's spot. That would move Betts down to his rightfull 4th line center spot. The 3rd line LW spot then becomes a competition between Moore and Dawes. Introducing Rucinsky into the equation would nullify that competition as the spot would automatically be his. What need is there to take away a spot from a deserving player, just to hand it to a 36 year-old Rucinsky? One would think that the goal is to get younger, not older.

Old
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Absolutely. There is no need for a rebuilding team to bring back a 36 year-old to play the 3rd line.
But who says we are a rebuilding team? A organization rebuilding and replenishing it's depth throughout--yes---but not necessarily rebuilding on the NHL level....OK, I'm just being smart arse because we haven't had this discussion in about a month.

But seriously, I don't think we need Rucinsky either (but I don't see Dawes as a 3rd line winger either), but I can see the Rangers bringing him back along with Straka

Old
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Because he is a round peg in a square hole. There are two reasons why he has no place on this team. First of all, if he is brought back, I am not so sure that it would be to play the 3rd line. If brought back, that may mean that Prucha gets pushed down to the 3rd line. And that would be absolutely assinine and no way to develop your 30 goal-scoring rookie.
Second, let's say that he is brough back and Prucha does not get pushed down. That would mean that Rucinsky is on the 3rd line. Why? Helminen is ready to take over Moore's spot. That would move Betts down to his rightfull 4th line center spot. The 3rd line LW spot then becomes a competition between Moore and Dawes. Introducing Rucinsky into the equation would nullify that competition as the spot would automatically be his. What need is there to take away a spot from a deserving player, just to hand it to a 36 year-old Rucinsky? One would think that the goal is to get younger, not older.
I agree with the reasoning on Prucha and no way he should not be on the top 2 lines..But I don;t think that Rucinsky on the 3rtd line is crazy...And how do we know Helminen is ready? yes, he had a good year in Hartford but a terrible PO season..I don't think he's a shoo-in for the NHL..ANd I also think it's very possible one of Moore or Betts gets traded (with Immo taking their spot---OK, there's your opening..)

Old
06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
But seriously, I don't think we need Rucinsky either (but I don't see Dawes as a 3rd line winger either), but I can see the Rangers bringing him back along with Straka
I don't think of him as a 3d line winger either, but if Prucha is playing the second line, I would much rather have him or Moore (if indeed Helminen is given a fair chance to claim one of the bottom-2 line center spots) than Rucinsky.
As far as Dawes goes, the question becomes what is better for his development? To play top-line minutes in Hartford or 3rd line minutes in NY? In the future, he is (hopefully) a top-6 forward. But for next year? That is the question.

Old
06-09-2006, 01:07 PM
True Blue

Quote:
But I don;t think that Rucinsky on the 3rtd line is crazy...And how do we know Helminen is ready? yes, he had a good year in Hartford but a terrible PO season..I don't think he's a shoo-in for the NHL..ANd I also think it's very possible one of Moore or Betts gets traded (with Immo taking their spot---OK, there's your opening..)
How do you know that he is not ready? We don't. Not until he comes to camp. However, one thing that we do know is that if there are vet "placeholders", then he has no chance of making the team, no matter how many players he outperforms. Helminen's play in Hartford makes a statement that he is at least as ready as either Immonen or Dawes. Those 3 deserve an honest chance at making the team. We all know that they have no chance if a vet placeholder is in camp.