HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to have interest in Mcauley, Markov, laraque, Grier, and Morozov

Old
06-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Rangers to have interest in Mcauley, Markov, laraque, Grier, and Morozov

http://www.nypost.com/sports/isle_ha...rry_brooks.htm

"Add the names of San Jose checking center Alyn McCauley, Nashville defenseman Danny Markov, Buffalo checking winger Mike Grier, Pittsburgh defected winger Aleksey Morozov and Edmonton enforcer Georges Laraque to the list of mid-level (that modifier always subject to interpretation) free agents in whom the Blueshirts have interest in inspecting."

I would have no problem with getting markov if we intend to let poti and roszival walk, mcCauley would be fine as well if we intend to trade moore or betts, but id prefer to keep moore over betts, even though betts really stepped up his play in the playoffs

grier and morozov i could live without, i wouldnt be bummed if we signed grier but i feel he would take a spot away from a kid

as for laraque, this is a hard one, i always liked him as an oiler and he is quite a deterrent, however is he really needed?

top targets should still be mckee, chara, or redden
followed by arnott, savard, or another top tier center (maybe lang)
then guys like asham, markov, mcCauley, kubina, mitchell, etc but id prefer we sign no more than 4 free agents and thats after we let poti, rucchin, straka or rucinsky walk

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 11:36 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon

"Add the names of San Jose checking center Alyn McCauley, Nashville defenseman Danny Markov, Buffalo checking winger Mike Grier, Pittsburgh defected winger Aleksey Morozov and Edmonton enforcer Georges Laraque to the list of mid-level (that modifier always subject to interpretation) free agents in whom the Blueshirts have interest in inspecting."

I would have no problem with getting markov if we intend to let poti and roszival walk, mcCauley would be fine as well if we intend to trade moore or betts, but id prefer to keep moore over betts, even though betts really stepped up his play in the playoffs

grier and morozov i could live without, i wouldnt be bummed if we signed grier but i feel he would take a spot away from a kid

as for laraque, this is a hard one, i always liked him as an oiler and he is quite a deterrent, however is he really needed?

then guys like asham, markov, mcCauley, kubina, mitchell, etc but id prefer we sign no more than 4 free agents and thats after we let poti, rucchin, straka or rucinsky walk
- Morozov, no. We don't need another soft winger, and he's not even that good. Hasn't played in the NHL in how long?

- I like McCauley, but I'd give Immonen the checking center job. He's shown he can do it already.

- Markov would be a GREAT addition to this team. Maybe we could pair him with fellow countryman Toots and he can help his game out.

- We need checking wingers, and Grier would be a good pickup.

- We also need muscle, as Colton Orr seems to think he can get by in the NHL on his skills alone, which is not going to happen, and I love Georgie Laraque, who can play either 3rd or 4th line time, so I think he'd be a great pickup.

I 110% agree with your analysis, you worry about Chara/Redden/Kubina and guy like McKee/Mitchell/Skrastins/Markov, then worry about a center, then one of these guys.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:23 PM
SaintB*

Saw Orr around Winnipeg recently. He has lost alot of weight must be
under 200 Lbs. Life style catching up to him !

SaintB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
nyr7andcounting

I'd love to get McCauley. From what I know he's pretty fast, good 2 way player, good PKer. I'd sign him and trade Moore for a young defenseman. Or sign McCauley and play him on the wing.

Morozov I don't want. Why would we want this guy? We've got enough soft wingers. This guy hasn't even played in the NHL lately. Let him break back in the league with someone else.

Markov I don't really care. I guess we can get him and let Roszival walk.

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 06-11-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: racial remarks
nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
FmmF3*

Laraque has more heart, checks harder and packs a harder punch than 95% of the guys on the roster and in the system right now. I'd take one of the above mentioned players, but not at the expense of a youngster's spot. They should replace a Moore, not a Dawes.
[quote]

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 06-11-2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: response to edited post
FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
I'd love to get McCauley. From what I know he's pretty fast, good 2 way player, good PKer. I'd sign him and trade Moore for a young defenseman. Or sign McCauley and play him on the wing.

Morozov I don't want. Why would we want this guy? We've got enough soft wingers. This guy hasn't even played in the NHL lately. Let him break back in the league with someone else.

Markov I don't really care. I guess we can get him and let Roszival walk.

Grier/Laraque, no thanks we're the Rangers not the Knicks.

I dont want Grier, he sux. On Laraque id love to have cause he can play and fight. Markov id like to have but seems to get hurt at the most important times. Rather have Kubina, Jovo, Skrastins or Mitchell. McCauley Id love to have and would be good and would add more offense than Betts.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Synergy27

Grier and Laraque are two players who I never really had a chance to see play until the playoffs this year. I had always had these guys pegged as lumbering, hard hitting types, but I was way off. Both of these guys skate really well, and do a great job forechecking.

Does anyone remember that one PK shift where Grier killed about a minute of Carolina PP almost single-handedly? I realize that our prospect pool has alot of 3rd/4th line players in it, but I really think that a line of:

Ward-Betts-Grier

could be dominant defensively AND chip in offensively on occasion. I would love to see the Rangers ice that as their third line next season.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 12:52 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44
That post is a reason to be banned and i hope you are. Great way to think in 2006
Oh shutup. Maybe race is such an issue because some people can't laugh a little about it.

Weekes is a decent backup, why would I want to trade him? Dawes is an exciting young player. He's the kind of guy we should be giving a roster spot to instead of a veteran like Morozov, Grier, Laracque. The point is we don't need any of those guys at all.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Captain11

just because one person feels it is acceptable to slander a skin color, doesnt mean everyone feels that way

think before you speak

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 01:09 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11
just because one person feels it is acceptable to slander a skin color, doesnt mean everyone feels that way

think before you speak
What slander? How do you know I'm not black? Where did I say anything negative about any skin color? Come on, hockey's a 'white' sport, basketball's a 'black' sport. People joke about it all the time. Just because you take it too seriously doesn't mean everyone else has to

Old
06-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
What slander? How do you know I'm not black? Where did I say anything negative about any skin color? Come on, hockey's a 'white' sport, basketball's a 'black' sport. People joke about it all the time. Just because you take it too seriously doesn't mean everyone else has to
Get the thread back on topic.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 01:27 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Laraque I can see, the rest

Quote:

stiffle our younger players opportunities. Asham is another one I like. But, beyond a dman or two, I have zero interest in any of them. If we sign more than 2-4 UFA and don't lose an equal number of our own UFAs or more, I will be upset. We need to have roster spots up for grab. Now if that means that players like D.Moore, Ortmeyer, Betts have to compete with the Immonen's, G. Moore's in an effort to up grade the quality of those roles on the team I'm fine with. But in no way do I want a McCauley who has to have surgery on his leg, or a Grier that would bump players like a G. Moore and I'm dead set against it. If that is the direction we are headed, I think it is time for Glen to put in his papers and instead of JD going to STL sign him as our President.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
RedLightDistrict

I would definately consider McCauley, I've always like his style of play. While he didn't have a Selke-worthy performance of a few seasons ago, I'd consider picking him up.

That having been said, while I'm not entirely sold on Morozov, he has had tremendous success against the Devils. Considering we play the Devils 8 times a season in today's new NHL, this could make morozov a hot commodity for any Atlantic division team

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 01:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbunny1024
I would definately consider McCauley, I've always like his style of play. While he didn't have a Selke-worthy performance of a few seasons ago, I'd consider picking him up.

That having been said, while I'm not entirely sold on Morozov, he has had tremendous success against the Devils. Considering we play the Devils 8 times a season in today's new NHL, this could make morozov a hot commodity for any Atlantic division team

and not to mention he played with Straka, Jagr, Kasper, Rozsival while on the Pens.

Old
06-11-2006, 01:42 PM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Does anyone remember that one PK shift where Grier killed about a minute of Carolina PP almost single-handedly? I realize that our prospect pool has alot of 3rd/4th line players in it, but I really think that a line of:

Ward-Betts-Grier

could be dominant defensively AND chip in offensively on occasion. I would love to see the Rangers ice that as their third line next season.
Wow! I love to see our fourth line look like that. We have our share of speed...but from juniors to the show..or any level. We need guy's who can change the flow of the game ...if need be. Well done.

NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Oh shutup. Maybe race is such an issue because some people can't laugh a little about it.

Weekes is a decent backup, why would I want to trade him? Dawes is an exciting young player. He's the kind of guy we should be giving a roster spot to instead of a veteran like Morozov, Grier, Laracque. The point is we don't need any of those guys at all.
we don't need gritty forwards? did you watch the last year at all? this team was as wimpy as predicted, great start and ran out of gas and energy down the stretch and playoffs. i would take both grier and laraque. orr could be let go and moore could be jetison too! so i would absolutly take either one!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
we don't need gritty forwards? did you watch the last year at all? this team was as wimpy as predicted, great start and ran out of gas and energy down the stretch and playoffs. i would take both grier and laraque. orr could be let go and moore could be jetison too! so i would absolutly take either one!
I didn't say we don't need grit I said we don't need the names mentioned. We need to add some grit to the top 6 forwards and the defense. None of the names mentioned provide that.

Old
06-11-2006, 03:16 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Get Grier!!!! He is a solid player.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 03:16 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Grier and Laraque are two players who I never really had a chance to see play until the playoffs this year. I had always had these guys pegged as lumbering, hard hitting types, but I was way off. Both of these guys skate really well, and do a great job forechecking.

Ward-Betts-Grier

i would much rather replace betts with helmenen

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94
i would much rather replace betts with helmenen
If Helminen proves in training camp that he is better than Betts and deserves his spot, then I agree. That will not be easy, however, for I feel that Betts is a prototypical third liner and his faceoff skills are sorely needed on this team. If he can somehow avoid getting injured he can be an integral part of a winning team.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Janerixon

helminen is not going to win a spot over immonen, if we sign mccauley that means immo will be going for the 2nd line center and we trade oen of betts or moore or we convert moore to a winger, i think sather will be fairly active in UFA this season, he always is

i see him signing one of mckee/redden/chara
then signing an arnott/sakic/savard type
then he may sign a grier/asham/McCauley/Laraque
and lastly go after a markhov/mitchell/kubina type

i dont think he will sign anymore than 4 ufas

poti will be gone
rucchin will not be resigned
i see no reason for both straka/rucinsky to be brought back
if roszival wants top dollar i doubt he returns as well

what i'd do...

prucha-nylander-jagr
rucinsky-arnott-sykora
asham-betts-ward
hollweg-moore-ortmeyer

kasper-tyutin
markhov-chara
pock-malik

lundqvist-weekes

sc: hossa, orr, strudwick

greg moore, dubinsky, immonen, dawes, and helminen all waiting the in the wings

i just wonder how staal plays, if he plays well enough to win a spot in camp

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
helminen is not going to win a spot over immonen, if we sign mccauley that means immo will be going for the 2nd line center and we trade oen of betts or moore or we convert moore to a winger, i think sather will be fairly active in UFA this season, he always is

i see him signing one of mckee/redden/chara
then signing an arnott/sakic/savard type
then he may sign a grier/asham/McCauley/Laraque
and lastly go after a markhov/mitchell/kubina type

i dont think he will sign anymore than 4 ufas

poti will be gone
rucchin will not be resigned
i see no reason for both straka/rucinsky to be brought back
if roszival wants top dollar i doubt he returns as well

what i'd do...

prucha-nylander-jagr
rucinsky-arnott-sykora
asham-betts-ward
hollweg-moore-ortmeyer

kasper-tyutin
markhov-chara
pock-malik

lundqvist-weekes

sc: hossa, orr, strudwick

greg moore, dubinsky, immonen, dawes, and helminen all waiting the in the wings

i just wonder how staal plays, if he plays well enough to win a spot in camp
Id rather have Immonen than Betts on the 3rd line, better offensive talent and just as good on the defensive side. Betts is crap. Id rather keep moore.

Old
06-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Larry Melnyk

Markov as a 2nd or fallback defensman is OK but SCREW the rest...We don need to be spending any time on 3rd and 4th liners...we got that in spades throughoutthe orgqanization..As for Laraque, yeah he can fight, but he's slow, doesn;t hit much, is inconsistent, and only plays when he wants to...

OTOH, I've said all along that the NHL Rangers are not a rebuilding club (the organization is another story) so maybe it does happen..But I say Nyet to all...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Pass.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Geogaddi

Give Me: McCauley, Morozov

Maybe: Markov, Laraque

No: Grier

Set something like so.

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - McCauley - Morozov
Moore - Immonen - Ward
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmeyer

Kasparaitis - Tyutin
Kubina - Malik
Pock - Rachunek/Staal

Lundqvist
Weekes/Montoya

Morozov was the best player in the RSL this year after walking away with 7 Awards. if we cant get mozo then go after sykora. Weekes will get dealt during the Draft or stick with us for the year, either way i dont mind. I just dont see the rangers making Huge UFA signings anymore. Guys like Chara, Redden, Elias and so on arent the focus of the Rangers like they were in the past. Players who bring character and the tools that we need are players that Maloney and company are Glued to right now (Sather doesnt have input anymore). I see us going after a 2nd Center and RW and ONE d-man. Kubina or McKee. McCauley is sitting behind Thornton and Marleau in SJ and needs a chance to prove him self. Hes not the physical Center that everyone is talking about. But he could fill in very nicely.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote