HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Rangers resign Strudwick?

View Poll Results: Should the Rangers resign Strudwick?
Yea 40 43.01%
No 53 56.99%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*

I say yea cause he is a good team guy, never complains when he sits, he sticks up for our teammates, willing to do anything for the team. Solid fighter as well.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
frozenrubber

No Struds

This is the fear I had if the Rangers assembled a pretty decent year (which they did). We would have attachment to fringe NHLers.

As it currently stands, Jason Strudwick is not a top 6 dman. Period. On top of whatever FA dman we sign, we might see Staal, Baranka, Pock, Lampman (if we keep him) next year.

Now for everyone who says he's a great leader and team rallying point, that would be moot for next year as he would have very little impact from upstairs scratched players suite. The reason Struds played this year was frankly our complete weakness in D and not having Lampman (injury) available for callup. The only suitable call-up was Pock, and everyone knows he isn't known for his defense.

Now Sather does believe in carrying 8 d-men in the system that can play.

1. Tyutin
2. Kaspar
3. Malik
4. Rozy/FA
5. FA/NO POTI !!! YEAH
6. Ozo (I'm actually looking forward to seeing him after a full training camp w/out Poti as his partner; I'm hoping it's Malik)
7. Staal
8. Pock/Lampman(?)/Baranka, etc.

I just don't see a slot or need for him. He's a great guy no doubt, but he was a filler, not a core piece.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

No.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think signing or not signing Strudwick is somewhere around 64 on the list of things to do.

06-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Shadowtron

I voted no. Don't think he brings enough to warrant a spot. I like to think we can fill his role from within.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber
This is the fear I had if the Rangers assembled a pretty decent year (which they did). We would have attachment to fringe NHLers.

As it currently stands, Jason Strudwick is not a top 6 dman. Period. On top of whatever FA dman we sign, we might see Staal, Baranka, Pock, Lampman (if we keep him) next year.

Now for everyone who says he's a great leader and team rallying point, that would be moot for next year as he would have very little impact from upstairs scratched players suite. The reason Struds played this year was frankly our complete weakness in D and not having Lampman (injury) available for callup. The only suitable call-up was Pock, and everyone knows he isn't known for his defense.

1. Tyutin
2. Kaspar
3. Malik
4. Rozy/FA
5. FA/NO POTI !!! YEAH
6. Ozo (I'm actually looking forward to seeing him after a full training camp w/out Poti as his partner; I'm hoping it's Malik)
7. Staal

I just don't see a slot or need for him. He's a great guy no doubt, but he was a filler, not a core piece.
Whether it's a choice of having Pock/Lampman/Staal or Strudwick as your seventh defenseman, you go with Strudwick. No reason to have young guys in street clothes.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber

1. Tyutin
2. Kaspar
3. Malik
4. Rozy/FA
5. FA/NO POTI !!! YEAH
7. Staal

So ud want Staal as our 7th d?? thats a great way to bring up a kid.. At least Strudwick can be the 7th dman and can play forward if needed. Staal will most likely make the team, if that is the case id want him in top 6, not as a 7th dman. Renney likes to have 7 dman on the team.

My d for next year
Malik Jovo
Kubina Ozo/Staal
Kasper Tyutin
Strudwick 7th dman

if Staal plays better defense than ozo in camp, then ozo should be dealt for a pick and let Staal play

Old
06-15-2006, 12:26 PM
TheRedressor

Definetly NOT!! I would have rather have kept Kondratiev in the 6th dman spot.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Whether it's a choice of having Pock/Lampman/Staal or Strudwick as your seventh defenseman, you go with Strudwick. No reason to have young guys in street clothes.
I agree about Lampman and Pock as they can play in Hartford.

Not sure about Staal, if he's close to ready for the NHL.

At Staal's age Is 30 or so games in the NHL better than returning to Juniors? I don't know.

I just know that Lundmark and Novak both regressed when they went back.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

At Staal's age Is 30 or so games in the NHL better than returning to Juniors? I don't know.

Staal is definetly ready for the show. It is time.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:55 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
As long as he stays off the fourth line.

You know, as a matter of fact, put Strudwick in for Ozolinsh, and have Sandis play the fourth line.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
So ud want Staal as our 7th d?? thats a great way to bring up a kid.. At least Strudwick can be the 7th dman and can play forward if needed. Staal will most likely make the team, if that is the case id want him in top 6, not as a 7th dman. Renney likes to have 7 dman on the team.

My d for next year
Malik Jovo
Kubina Ozo/Staal
Kasper Tyutin
Strudwick 7th dman

if Staal plays better defense than ozo in camp, then ozo should be dealt for a pick and let Staal play

That list was meant to display how we already have 8 serviceable defensemen, it wasn't numbered by talent. However, Staal will have to earn his spot like anyone else.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

That would be bad for us because then that means he becomes a UFA a year earlier and he wouldn't have even played half a season. Either he's ready for a a majority of a full season or send him back to Juniors IMO.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I think signing or not signing Strudwick is somewhere around 64 on the list of things to do.
Exactly, he's a thirtysomething journeyman defenseman who played a lot because of lack of depth (and fear of playing prospects).

There really should be another choice on the poll--Who Cares?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Lampman is a UFA, I doubt he returns to the organization. And if it's a choice between playing Staal in less than 60 games (barring injury of course) and sending him back to Juniors, I send back to Juniors--not playing at this stage in his career is the kiss of death. There's not enough practice time in the NHL to justify it.

Old
06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Taz

I like strudwick, brings someone at the back to fill in and be able to stick up for people and really compete in fights, He had a really solid year in his fighting keep him in back up incase of injuries or if the kids cant handle it

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
I like strudwick, brings someone at the back to fill in and be able to stick up for people and really compete in fights, He had a really solid year in his fighting keep him in back up incase of injuries or if the kids cant handle it

agreed

Old
06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
So there's no one out there (or in the organization already) who is younger and faster who can fill that role?

Old
06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief
Staal is definitely ready for the show. It is time.
I hope you're right, but if he isn't quite ready I'll bow to the judgments of Singin', Brooklyn Ranger and FlyLine88 and return him to Juniors.

Old
06-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Fletch

Strudwick filled his role nicely...

but I think the organization can do better with someone who is more mobile.

As for Staal - if he played 60 NHL games Brooklyn, I'd be fine with that. He'll play, what, about that many in junior? While I'm not normally for kids to not go back to juniors, if they've shown what's needed to shown then playing down to a league's level could actually hurt them a bit. He seemed comfortable in preseason in the NHL. After a season in the CHL in which by all accounts he played extremely well, it may be worth a shot and if he somehow got into 60 NHL games, that's fine by me. Getting 10-12 minutes in 25 games is not, however.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but I think the organization can do better with someone who is more mobile.

As for Staal - if he played 60 NHL games Brooklyn, I'd be fine with that. He'll play, what, about that many in junior? While I'm not normally for kids to not go back to juniors, if they've shown what's needed to shown then playing down to a league's level could actually hurt them a bit. He seemed comfortable in preseason in the NHL. After a season in the CHL in which by all accounts he played extremely well, it may be worth a shot and if he somehow got into 60 NHL games, that's fine by me. Getting 10-12 minutes in 25 games is not, however.

i think the rule is once a player players 10 games his contract kicks in and cant go back to juniors. If he plays 9 games, they can send him back to juniors. Once he plays the 10th game he must get regular ice time or its a waste.

Old
06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
TheRedressor

Staal needs to play!

Old
06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
i think the rule is once a player players 10 games his contract kicks in and cant go back to juniors. If he plays 9 games, they can send him back to juniors. Once he plays the 10th game he must get regular ice time or its a waste.
Unfortunately 9 games is generally insufficient to make a decision.

Old
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
As long as he stays off the fourth line.

You know, as a matter of fact, put Strudwick in for Ozolinsh, and have Sandis play the fourth line.
The only line safe for Ozolinsh to be on is the unemployment line!

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
TheRedressor

Strudwick will not be signed. Especially because the Rangers just re-signed Colton Orr.