HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tonight's Game vs. Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Skrymir

vCash: 500
Tonight's Game vs. Edmonton

Prusek in net... apparently he was to start vs. the islanders, but didn't because of the birth of his child.

From what I understand the lines to start the game will be:

Varada - Bonk - Hossa
White - Smolinski - Alfredsson
Schaefer - Van Allen - Havlat
Schastlivy - Spezza - Neil

D-pairings as usual.

Hopefully, Prusek comes out and proves that his game against LA was just a fluke, and Spezza and Schastlivy get the message by being placed on the 4th line, and pick up their play.

I really hope that mondays game has the same effect as the Game vs. Boston last year when they were hammered 7-1, then went on a long unbeaten streak.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Volchenkov

I'm not really worried. Losing is good as it will convince the team they still have to try hard in order to win. 10 games from now this "slump" will be a distant memory. Its like we've all become Yankee fans - we lose one game and suddenly its the end of the world (I know I'm exaggerating but you get the point).

Old
11-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir
Prusek in net... apparently he was to start vs. the islanders, but didn't because of the birth of his child.

From what I understand the lines to start the game will be:

Varada - Bonk - Hossa
White - Smolinski - Alfredsson
Schaefer - Van Allen - Havlat
Schastlivy - Spezza - Neil

D-pairings as usual.

Hopefully, Prusek comes out and proves that his game against LA was just a fluke, and Spezza and Schastlivy get the message by being placed on the 4th line, and pick up their play.

I really hope that mondays game has the same effect as the Game vs. Boston last year when they were hammered 7-1, then went on a long unbeaten streak.
I don't like those last two lines. They're weird. I think it'd be better to swap Van Allen and Spezza. It'll be interesting to see though.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:07 AM
hardcore_fan

Why is Vanner being promoted after being arguably our worst player so far?

Old
11-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Skrymir

I agree I'm not to fond of the line combos. just telling you what I hear. From what I understand Martin & co. have been very unimpressed with his play the past few games. Funny how last year he didn't make the team, because it would do him no good unless he got 1rst or 2nd line ice time, but now it's ok to play him on the 4th line.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:23 AM
J.P

Do the Sens still have Tony Dahlmen? I remember him playing decent last year when he got the call.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:33 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
Do the Sens still have Tony Dahlmen? I remember him playing decent last year when he got the call.
Nope. The Sens didn't re-sign him. He went back to Europe to play this year.

Suprising, as I think he'd be able to crack a few NHL teams on the fourth line.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:43 AM
J.P

Yeah, thats kinda weird that they didn't resign him? Just like they traded away Bala. I guess it's good that they sent Vermette down so Binghamton can get some scoring back! BTW, I heard Brad Smyth is looking for a team to play on? I guess he couldn't make the Euro team he tried out for?

Old
11-06-2003, 10:56 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I'm not really worried. Losing is good as it will convince the team they still have to try hard in order to win. 10 games from now this "slump" will be a distant memory. Its like we've all become Yankee fans - we lose one game and suddenly its the end of the world (I know I'm exaggerating but you get the point).

Ordinarily I would agree that there's no need to panic, but for me it's the way that they're losing that's the problem. If it was a case of them being outplayed by a better team then you could say that we lost to a better team. But they haven't done that, and it's also the lack of effort and production from a number of players that's the concern. Chara's play has been inconsistent at the best of times, Spezza has been invisible since the first 2 or 3 games, Havlat looks like he's floating around out there. But I'm also concerned about the play of Alfredsson. He's uncharacteristically making bad plays - giveaways, inability to hold the puck in at the blue on the PP, etc.

Perhaps a game that's likely to be more free flowing tonight will be the tonic that this team needs to regain their form.

As for Spezza on the fourth line, he's being punished for poor play, plain and simple.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:39 AM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Ordinarily I would agree that there's no need to panic, but for me it's the way that they're losing that's the problem. If it was a case of them being outplayed by a better team then you could say that we lost to a better team. But they haven't done that, and it's also the lack of effort and production from a number of players that's the concern. Chara's play has been inconsistent at the best of times, Spezza has been invisible since the first 2 or 3 games, Havlat looks like he's floating around out there. But I'm also concerned about the play of Alfredsson. He's uncharacteristically making bad plays - giveaways, inability to hold the puck in at the blue on the PP, etc.
Weird. I think that Havlat has been his usual self, dangling with the puck and what not. But he is making too many fancy plays and passing when he should shoot.

Alfie has made some bad plays but always covers up with a good defensive play or a timely goal.

I expect a good effort tonite and if not maybe it's time we should start getting worrried.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
Yeah, thats kinda weird that they didn't resign him? Just like they traded away Bala. I guess it's good that they sent Vermette down so Binghamton can get some scoring back! BTW, I heard Brad Smyth is looking for a team to play on? I guess he couldn't make the Euro team he tried out for?
Smyth was signed to play for a team in Russia, but after some sort of reasonably minor knee injury, he was released from the team. It was a sticky affair, because Smyth basically lost money for getting hurt.

He is now playing in the Finnish Elite League, although not that well. He is playing for Karpat, and has only 3 points in 12 games. Karpat is a pretty good team though, and Jason Dawe for example, plays on the same team and has only 1 assist in 14 games.

Toni Dahlman has 2 points in 7 games for Ilves. Former Sens farmhand Joe Murphy plays for Lukko, btw, and has 12 points in 20 games (second on the team). Glen Metropolit, who we picked up in the waiver draft, has 17 points in 17 games for Jokerit.

And that's my Finnish update,

Old
11-06-2003, 05:12 PM
south-sentral

Was Havlat benched for the OT? If so, why?

Old
11-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Was Havlat benched for the OT? If so, why?
"Playing like crap" pretty much covers it.

Too bad Martin couldn't bench everyone except Alfie, Bonk, Hossa, Schaefer and Varada.

Other Dave

Old
11-06-2003, 05:23 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
"Playing like crap" pretty much covers it.

Too bad Martin couldn't bench everyone except Alfie, Bonk, Hossa, Schaefer and Varada.

Other Dave
I didn't notice Spezza out there as well. I don't think Havlat played bad at all. But in a situation of 4 on 4 hockey i would rather have Havlat out there ahead of Smokes.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
I didn't notice Spezza out there as well. I don't think Havlat played bad at all. But in a situation of 4 on 4 hockey i would rather have Havlat out there ahead of Smokes.
Martin Havlat was benched for that stupid penalty he took, not for bad play.

Spezza hasn't been playing well, but he's a rookie for all intents and purposes. Inconsistency is to be expected, and Jacques Martin is excellent at helping young guys get over it. Spezza will come along (provided he doesn't really believe he knows it all right now).

Schastlivy and Smolinsky looked better than they have all season.

As much as I like White (and hope he gets better), it will be good to have Vermette up here again (if they call him up). The Marty Havlat line needs time to set and develop chemistry. So far, that line has changed every game and during games too. I thought Martin could try: Vermette-Spezza-Havlat. A good, solid kid line with some explosive offence. The only problem is that Vermette and Havlat are solid defensively, but I'm not sure they can cover for Spezza the way Schaefer or White do. Spezza is still looking lost defensively. I've been more impressed with Vermette. I think he would have made a difference in tonight's game.

Van Allen needs to start thinking and making the smart plays like last year. This year, he's just been plain stupid at times.

Hossa, Alfie, Bonk and Varada are all on fire. Schaefer is a pleasant surprise. Redden is very obviously playing with injuries. The Sens had so much depth and there was talk about whether it was necessary or not to carry 8 defencemen. Now, with Hnidy, Volchenkov and Rachunek out, and Leschesyn and Redden not 100%, it's hurting. What hurts most is Redden not being 100% though. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the Sens aren't the same team without him.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:14 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Spezza hasn't been playing well, but he's a rookie for all intents and purposes. Inconsistency is to be expected, and Jacques Martin is excellent at helping young guys get over it. Spezza will come along (provided he doesn't really believe he knows it all right now).

The problem I hve is that Spezza is playing stupid. Over and over.. and over and over and over again he tries to deke out every player on the ice instead of dumping, shooting or passing. By the end of the game it was just a joke to everyone in my suite (yes, suite.. it was nice), we knew as soon as he got the puck he was readying to make a fool of himself. If you ask me, he needs to catch a game from the stands.

Schastlivy was great, his play shouldnt be overlooked. His best game of the season.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
The problem I hve is that Spezza is playing stupid. Over and over.. and over and over and over again he tries to deke out every player on the ice instead of dumping, shooting or passing. By the end of the game it was just a joke to everyone in my suite (yes, suite.. it was nice), we knew as soon as he got the puck he was readying to make a fool of himself. If you ask me, he needs to catch a game from the stands.

Schastlivy was great, his play shouldnt be overlooked. His best game of the season.
I don't disagree. But Spezza will eventually realize that he can't do stuff like that at the NHL level (provided the Sens don't play against any inept D that actually lets it work ). It's all a learning process and he simply doesn't have the experience yet. He's got brilliant offensive capabilities, but he's still just a beginner. I think people forget that because expectations for him are so high. But, I don't disagree with you. I'm just cutting him some slack. (The area I won't cut him any slack in is defence - I thought he was getting better, but these past few games he's looked lost - just lost.) The guys sitting behind me were joking about his 'little move' throughout the game too.

Yes, 'sitting in the stands'... no suite would have me. Must have been nice! I've never been in one of those.

And yes, Schastlivy played well.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:29 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
The Marty Havlat line needs time to set and develop chemistry. So far, that line has changed every game and during games too. I thought Martin could try: Vermette-Spezza-Havlat. A good, solid kid line with some explosive offence. The only problem is that Vermette and Havlat are solid defensively, but I'm not sure they can cover for Spezza the way Schaefer or White do. Spezza is still looking lost defensively.
That line interests me, but not more than the Schaefer-Spezza-Havlat line we've been seeing. I really thought for the 5 or so shifts they played vs. the Isles they played well... needless to say what we say in last years playoffs. It's more than evident they have great chem. So what gives? Jacques "lessons", that's what. I'm a pretty big fan of Jacques Martin, but please, let's not make this an issue of who's egos are bigger and who can teach who lessons. If someone *cough* Spezza *cough* is not playing well, then freakin' deal with it directly or something, but don't let the kid rot on the 4th line with *gag* Van Allen! (And, yes, I'm a Van Allen fan, <i>usually</i>, but so far he's been absolutely awful and does not deserve to be playing over a kid like Vermette). This just doesn't make sense. By no means am I letting Spezza off the hook. I mean, Christ! If he doesn't realize that he can't beat everyone in the league with his outside-inside every single time he wants, then maybe he <i>should</i> be reprimanded. All I'm saying is that it almost seems as though the whole team is taking a hit for a few peoples poor performances, where a few different coaching adjustments could lessen the blow.

All that said, how about Peter Schaefer and Vaclav Varada? Man, Varada is a freaking warrior. Schaefer is on the cusp of being a very important ingredient this teams success.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:59 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I listened to the game on the net tonight, was quite entertaining. Schasatlivy must have one hell of a booming shot, they didn't shut up about it after he shot it and Hossa burried it in the net on the rebound

Old
11-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
The problem I hve is that Spezza is playing stupid. Over and over.. and over and over and over again he tries to deke out every player on the ice instead of dumping, shooting or passing.
I don't know what drives me nuts more - this deke habit he's developed, or his habit of blind back-passes to the middle. Maybe he should try and find out who's there before he passes.

(edit: actually I halfway suspect that Havlat and Spezza are playing bad in hopes of getting reunited on a line together.)

Other Dave

Closed Thread