HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Frustrated with Carolina

Old
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
StanleyCH25

vCash: 500
Frustrated with Carolina

/vent on

Not sure if anyone else brought this up recently but is anyone else really frustrated with Carolina being in the finals? I mean, I get the feeling right now that I would prefer seeing any other team (including Boston) than Carolina (ok.. the Leafs still are the one team I would hate more) in the finals. I probably wouldn't feel this way if it weren't for the fact that they took out our team captain which really felt like a turning point in the series this year as well as the fact that they beat us in the quarter finals in 2003. I really am starting to just hate Carolina almost as much as the Leafs lately.

So is it just me?

/vent off

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
tinyzombies

I enjoy watching them play, but I understand where you are coming from. But that means you think Montreal is a better team and had a chance to be in the finals. I don't agree.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
/vent on

Not sure if anyone else brought this up recently but is anyone else really frustrated with Carolina being in the finals? I mean, I get the feeling right now that I would prefer seeing any other team (including Boston) than Carolina (ok.. the Leafs still are the one team I would hate more) in the finals. I probably wouldn't feel this way if it weren't for the fact that they took out our team captain which really felt like a turning point in the series this year as well as the fact that they beat us in the quarter finals in 2003. I really am starting to just hate Carolina almost as much as the Leafs lately.

So is it just me?

/vent off
This subject was beaten to death in many ways in the NHL Discussion forum/Playoffs, IIRC, about Lucky Canes. I won't make comments here, there are plenty there to keep you reading for a week.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
/vent on

So is it just me?

/vent off
It was the Conference Semi-Finals, and it was in 2002. The Habs failed to make the playoffs in 2003.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

yes i thought your series was over when they took out koivu. I remember when he was sick for a few sabres games. Yea im pissed off about carolina and everyone knows they should not be in the finals.

carolina is just as cocky as toronto

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I enjoy watching them play, but I understand where you are coming from. But that means you think Montreal is a better team and had a chance to be in the finals. I don't agree.

I don't think we, I mean Montreal, would have beaten New Jersey or Buffalo.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
I don't think we, I mean Montreal, would have beaten New Jersey or Buffalo.
We'll never know. But we would've played Ottawa in the second round if we had beaten the canes.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM
22SteveBegin22

Realistically, we would have had a pretty good shot of being in the cup finals... we would have been facing Ottawa with Ray Emery, and then Buffalo with a badly depleted defensive corps. So the same good luck that has fallen on Carolina would have fallen on us, and even a little more, because they had to beat a healthy NJ in the second round whereas we would have drawn the Hasek-less sens.

That said, the thought of Rod Brind'amour hoisting the cup makes me want to vomit.

(that's me putting my finger in my throat to vomit from thinking of it)

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
Realistically, we would have had a pretty good shot of being in the cup finals... we would have been facing Ottawa with Ray Emery, and then Buffalo with a badly depleted defensive corps. So the same good luck that has fallen on Carolina would have fallen on us, and even a little more, because they had to beat a healthy NJ in the second round whereas we would have drawn the Hasek-less sens.

That said, the thought of Rod Brind'amour hoisting the cup makes me want to vomit.

(that's me putting my finger in my throat to vomit from thinking of it)
I don't understand that. I love Brind'Amour. We could definitely use him.

Old
06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
MathMan

IMHO Brindy's attitude on and off the ice has been deplorable and unworthy of a team captain, and his propensity for "accidental" contact with goaltenders has done nothing to make him more likable. Of the Hurricanes I think he's the only player I genuinely dislike.

Can't argue with the work ethic or the production, I guess, but IMO Brindy could stand to take lessons from Koivu about class.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM
tinyzombies

Class, schmass...

If we had more than one single player (Begin) who could play with that level of grit, we might still be playing now. Give me a gritty player who crosses the line every now and then over the gang of wimps we have any day.

Old
06-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Carolina is the luckiest team in the world.

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Carolina is the luckiest team in the world.
True. But Edmonton will win the Cup regardless. Go OIL.

Old
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
I sure as hell hope so

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Class, schmass...
I don't necessarily expect it from a third-line grinder, but I do expect it from a team captain, even if he's a gritty heart-and-soul type. Playing with an edge is okay to a degree, but I what infuriates me about Brindy isn't "playing with an edge".

Old
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
Thats a lot of guessing m8.

First NJ vs Buffalo: Hmm its not done that the sabres would have won.
If we win vs Ottawa(Very hard) and meet NJ in 3rd round, its over before it starts. I for one prefers the Hurricanes to the Devils.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Go Oil!

Old
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
SerialSeb

Quote:
/vent on

So is it just me?

/vent off
I'm with you on this one they jumped added to the number 3 position on my hate list.

Hate them so much when Cole when down I didn't really feel bad (I do in a way but it took a while) and now I can barely get myself to watch the finals.

Thank GOd for the WOrld Cup

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
IMHO Brindy's attitude on and off the ice has been deplorable and unworthy of a team captain, and his propensity for "accidental" contact with goaltenders has done nothing to make him more likable. Of the Hurricanes I think he's the only player I genuinely dislike.

Can't argue with the work ethic or the production, I guess, but IMO Brindy could stand to take lessons from Koivu about class.
Are you kidding me? Brind'Amour's attitude? The guy is one of the most respected athletes in the NHL.

The guy simply states Lindy Ruff took away the spotlight from the players that deserved it and he gets labelled "classless".

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Mike8

What Habsaku said re: Brind'Amour's attitude. That had me perplexed too.

In any event, I thought NJ would handedly defeat Carolina. I was wrong. Carolina's grown stronger throughout the playoffs, to the point that I've felt they were the favourite since that series ... unsurprisingly, they'll likely win.

Tell me: who deserves it more than Carolina?

Edmonton? Buffalo?

Impressive teams this run, but they have not played as consistently well as Carolina. I also personally find Carolina's game far more entertaining.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Mike8

I should mention that anyone disliking seeing Buffalo/Edmonton/Carolina doing this well should just remember that none of these teams will do nearly as well in the near future.

Longer-term, if Carolina manages their eggs properly, they could be a perennial very good club (Staal, Ladd, Williams, Johnson, Ward). But they should have a set-back for a few years. That's my prediction, anyway, and keep in mind I did think NJ would beat them....

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 03:56 PM
madbox

I've vented quite enough elsewhere to become the ire of many Canes fans/bandwagoners. So I'm holding back now. lol. Ok well trying without much success... It was darn funny hearing Brind'Amour and Laviolette whining about Smyth's goal the other night. Game 4 against Montreal anyone? Brind'Amour's GWG which was worse than the goal that had already been waved off... Friggin' cry babies. It's like they should be an exception to the rule but screw all others. Also, Smyth didn't even touch Cam Ward. What video were they watching?? Too blind to realize it was A. Ward who nudged Smyth in?
Dummies.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
22SteveBegin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR
Thats a lot of guessing m8.

First NJ vs Buffalo: Hmm its not done that the sabres would have won.
If we win vs Ottawa(Very hard) and meet NJ in 3rd round, its over before it starts. I for one prefers the Hurricanes to the Devils.
I said "have a pretty good shot" at being in the finals... I didn't say we'd be there. I would say we were at least evenly matched with Hasek-less Ottawa when you figure the Huet vs. Emery matchup, and then if we got the Sabres missing several defensemen, it would have been a very close series to be sure.

I'm not saying, oh man, we'd be playing for the cup right now, just that we'd have had a shot. I think that's a fair reading of the situation the way the playoffs have turned out.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Habber

I don't know why anyone thinks Carolina doesn't deserve to be there. Maybe because they were horrible two years ago? Doesn't make any sense to me.

They've played solid hockey all year long. You don't get 111pts in the reg season by luck. They have great forwards, probably the best depth in the league, and have been getting good goaltending.

The two games we beat them were probably their worst back to back games of the year. And BrindAmour's a great captain. He's just doing what it takes to take his team to the finals, can't blame a guy for that.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote