HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If I had to press the panic button (if I were Bob)

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 08:42 AM
HABitude

vCash: 500
If I had to press the panic button (if I were Bob)

I look at every team that beated us recently and I saw big first line guys. Philly, NY Rangers, Toronto, Boston, and the list could be long. Winning teams are made of a core talented first line big guys.

We don't have that. We have Koivu (always injured and small),
Zednik (playing his individual game),
Audette (small, soft and slow, his career is OVER),
Bulis (doesn't show up every game, doesn't have a good shoot, not enough playmaking scoring instinct, not a first line stuff yet)
Hossa (playing good but still in a learning process, not ready yet)
Ribeiro (good playmaker, excellent passer, good instinct but still a bit slow and weak)
Perreault (slow, best at face offs, good snyper, too soft, bad in his own zone)

Panic button big trades

Trade Koivu for Steve Rucchin, or Patrick Marleau or Jason Arnott
Trade Zednik for Sean Doan or Eric Dazé
get rid of Audette (buy out his contract, trade him for any late round pick, just get rid of him)
get rid of Perreault (trade him for any player ŕ la Bégin or any round pick between 3rd and 8th)
get rid of Dackell (trade him for any player ŕ la Bégin or any round pick between 5rd and 11th)
Juneau (same as Dackell)
Sunstrom (same as Dackell)
trade Rivet for a convenient D (you can add Rivet in a trade for a quality 1rst line player ex: Koivu+Rivet, or Zednik+Rivet)

You get a lot of empty spots, bring Komi, Hainsey, Plekanek, Higgins, and Perezhogin.

Now the lines might look like:
Markov-Rucchin-Dazé
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder
Hossa-Higgins-Plekanek
Kilger-Bégin-Ward/Langdon

Oh, I forgot to tell: Markov is now a left winger. Hainsey took his spot at left D.
We are now bigger, younger and faster. We have a whole different team. It look completely rebuilt.

... Once again if I had to press the panic button.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Gros Bill

Yeah, I had the same kind of idea while watching the game last night, but I was more drastic. Pray for a plane crash with the team on board, and take the insurance money.

BTW "noyau" = "core", en anglais.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Trade Koivu for Steve Rucchin, or Patrick Marleau or Jason Arnott
Don't think the sharks would trade Marleau for Koivu. Rucchin is a definate downgrade. He doesn't play a big mans game at all (and has a history of injuries as well) and I doubt Dallas would trade Arnott for Koivu (not sure if I'd want Arnott over Koivu anyways)

Quote:
Trade Zednik for Sean Doan or Eric Dazé
You wouldn't get Doan for Zednik, and Daze could be gone for quite awhile due to injury, and I'd rather have Zednik anyways

Old
11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
...He doesn't play a big mans game at all (and has a history of injuries as well)
I doubt he have the same history of injuries like Koivu. Nobody on the league have the same history of injuries as Koivu except maybe Lindros. His team (Rucchin) went to the playoffs finals, I think he might have done something good, no?

Quote:
... and Daze could be gone for quite awhile due to injury, and I'd rather have Zednik anyways
How can you rather have Zednik? Have you seen him play recently? He doesn't play a team minded. He only try to score by himself, he NEVER passes. Ribeiro gives him at least 3 good passes tape-to-tape per night. And Zed never give back the puck. His play is horrible, he misses a lot of scoring chances, he is talented but he seems to be stupid. Dazé is big, skilled and play more as a team.

If you don't like my trading suggestions, the NHL teams is wide (29 others). There is plenty of players around the league. There could be takers for Koivu and Zed.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Koivu for Rucchin ... this one make my day pal :-p

Old
11-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Rahan

Quote:
I doubt he have the same history of injuries like Koivu. Nobody on the league have the same history of injuries as Koivu except maybe Lindros.
That one made me laugh. Koivu is far from being the player who has the biggest history of having injuries, you could list a ton that had many more.
I'll give it a quick shot.. the first I could think of that are good enough to be mentioned: Mario Lemieux, Simon Gagné, Valeri Bure

And the teams they played for wouldn't have given up on them for nothing, why would we do it for Koivu.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Darz

Quote:
I doubt he have the same history of injuries like Koivu. Nobody on the league have the same history of injuries as Koivu except maybe Lindros. His team (Rucchin) went to the playoffs finals, I think he might have done something good, no?
No he doesn't have the same history as Koivu, your right no body does, but he definately isn't an ironman, and he doesn't play a big mans game for a 6'-3" guy.

Quote:
How can you rather have Zednik? Have you seen him play recently? He doesn't play a team minded. He only try to score by himself, he NEVER passes. Ribeiro gives him at least 3 good passes tape-to-tape per night. And Zed never give back the puck. His play is horrible, he misses a lot of scoring chances, he is talented but he seems to be stupid. Dazé is big, skilled and play more as a team..
Have you seen Daze play recently? Probablely not since he is possibly out for the year.
I agree Zednik hasn't played that great this year. I never liked the thought of Zednik and Ribiero on the same line. Both players are the type of players who like to have control of the puck going over the blue line and hold it for long periods of time (Rib's will then try to pass it, where Zednik tries to shot it). It reminds me of when the habs try to put Savard and Richer on the same line. They didn't do as well together as they did apart, for the same reason. I think right now Zednik would do better with Perreault as his centre.
Bottom line though, he need someone to light a fire under his A$$.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:08 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:

I think right now Zednik would do better with Perreault as his centre.
Bottom line though, he need someone to light a fire under his A$$.
Therrien sure did a couple seasons ago

Old
11-05-2003, 02:00 PM
turnbuckle*

I strongly disagree about Rucchin. He's a pure heart and soul player, the main reason he was named the Ducks' captain this offseason. He's not a scrapper, but he most certainly plays a big man's game

Anaheim management loves Rucchin however; I doubt that he'd be traded for Saku.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Corey

Quote:
Ribeiro (good playmaker, excellent passer, good instinct but still a bit slow and weak)
\... and he can't score. No goals in 9 games, no points in 6. His playmaking and passing haven't made up for his slowness and weakness.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
\... and he can't score. No goals in 9 games, no points in 6. His playmaking and passing haven't made up for his slowness and weakness.
Ribs a 2nd line center...watch when Koivu returns.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Lewis63

If I was BG:

out:
Perreault (2.8M$) -->UFA at year's end
Audette (3.0M$) -->need I say why?
Sundstrom (1.95M$) -->tough start
Rivet (2.5M$) -->horrible this year
Quintal (1.5M$) -->I love the guy but we need room for Komi

this frees up over 10M$ enough to pay any player in the NHL. We can trade for picks or for two types of players. WE might have to throw a propspect or two or draft picks (not a 1st rounder though) to land a good player since all we're giving is crap (except for perreault who has value and rivet even though he plays like crap)

In:
X = a Big Scoring forward
Y = a Big right handed defenseman
and our lineup would be:

LW - C - RW
Zednik - Koivu - X
Hossa-Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Higgins - Junau
Kilger - Begin - Ward

Markov - Y
Sourray - Komisarek
Hainsey - Brisebois

with Langdon, Dackell and Bouillon as our spares

that makes 5 rookies in the lineup and add Garon to that total!

the reason I want Higgins centering the 3rd line is because I think he can be a Rolston type of player, am I wrong? And Juneau could help him out and teach Chris the ropes of being a defensive forward.

so there you go. I hope by christmas we would have something close to this.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:41 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
I strongly disagree about Rucchin. He's a pure heart and soul player, the main reason he was named the Ducks' captain this offseason. He's not a scrapper, but he most certainly plays a big man's game

Anaheim management loves Rucchin however; I doubt that he'd be traded for Saku.
Anaheim would never do that trade. Rucchin is 6'3'', was named capt of the team and is still young. Anaheim would not take Saku with his long list of injuries. Saku's injury now is more serious than was previously announced. Why did they chested the medias and the fans? Gainey was hiding Saku's gravity of his injury to raise his value in a possible trade?

I think Koivu's injury is as serious as Lindros injuries history with his concussions.
Concussions can end a carreer. Another serious knee will slow Saku so much that he will become a 3rd center defensive at best. Saku was fast before his first knee injury in '96. Now he is average in speed, if he becomes slower than what he was last year, I would prefer any old Nieuwendik, Arnott, Rucchin, Conroy, name it before Saku. Knee is the most important body part for a hockey player after his head. Last year many posters here where giving more value to Koivu than Vinnie Lecavalier, Jason Arnott, Brendan Morrison, Alex Yashin, etc. A slower Koivu is much less than these players mentioned.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:10 AM
GilleZ

There are not 100 guys that could help the CH, and I think Rucchin could be one of those guys. He is exactly what we whant, big strong center who can play defance and put up 50pts or more a season. But he his not a 1st line center, so we cant trade Koivu for him. Rucchin is defenitly an upgrade to perreault. But i dont see the Duck whating Perreault for him.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:13 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleZ
There are not 100 guys that could help the CH, and I think Rucchin could be one of those guys. He is exactly what we whant, big strong center who can play defance and put up 50pts or more a season. But he his not a 1st line center, so we cant trade Koivu for him. Rucchin is defenitly an upgrade to perreault. But i dont see the Duck whating Perreault for him.
In top shape Koivu is a better player than Rucchin. It's a fact that Koivu will play an average of 55 games per year for the rest of his carreer. He is knee fragile, if he becomes slower because of another knee injury, he will have big problem creating plays. Having Koivu as 1rst center means not making the playoffs, because he is not superstar who can carry all the offence by himself like Modano, Sundin or Thornton, and his numerous games out of play hurt the team too much since we don't have a second strong center. It's better have a Rucchin there than a player always on the hospital/press gallery. How a coach deal when his first center is absent most of the time? How? He can just invent loser excuses over and over because he will lose games and ultimately lose his job.

I'm not stupid to propose a Perreault-Rucchin trade. No GM is stupid enough to make that trade. Perreault is worth Steve Bégin kind of player at best.
To get Rucchin, you have to give Koivu and I doubt all the other 29 GM of this league wouldn't appoach Koivu with a 20 feet perch. Koivu alone for Rucchin is not enough.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
In top shape Koivu is a better player than Rucchin. It's a fact that Koivu will play an average of 55 games per year for the rest of his carreer. He is knee fragile, if he becomes slower because of another knee injury, he will have big problem creating plays. Having Koivu as 1rst center means not making the playoffs, because he is not superstar who can carry all the offence by himself like Modano, Sundin or Thornton, and his numerous games out of play hurt the team too much since we don't have a second strong center. It's better have a Rucchin there than a player always on the hospital/press gallery. How a coach deal when his first center is absent most of the time? How? He can just invent loser excuses over and over because he will lose games and ultimately lose his job.
The only thing Rucchin has on Koivu is size, and if anyone can rival Koivu on an injury prone career, it is Steve Rucchin. Rucchin is not a first line centre either nor a superstar, so that voids the point that Koivu as first line can't get the habs in the playoffs. If you do any research into Rucchin's career it shows one of a guy who can't be counted on either to play a full season, so he would be just as much of problem for a coach. Looking into Rucchins career, since 96-97, Rucchin has missed 146 games, Koivu missed 148 (discounting Koivu's year from cancer because that is beyond the realm of hockey injuries)

Anaheim might not trade Rucchin for Koivu, but I highly doubt Montreal would trade Koivu for Rucchin. Everything said here can be applied to both players, both simply mean too much to their respective teams and are not worth their true value on the market in trades do age, injuries, and contracts.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:34 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

get rid of Audette (buy out his contract, trade him for any late round pick, just get rid of him)
get rid of Perreault (trade him for any player ŕ la Bégin or any round pick between 3rd and 8th)
get rid of Dackell (trade him for any player ŕ la Bégin or any round pick between 5rd and 11th)
Juneau (same as Dackell)
Sunstrom (same as Dackell)

That's all that makes sense...the rest sorry just bad choices...try again

Closed Thread