HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Hatcher for.....

Old
06-12-2006, 06:39 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Proposal: Hatcher for.....

There was speculation that the Isle may try to trade the 7th overall to get rid of Yashin. Assuming this is somewhat true, would you do this deal:
Hatcher and 2 second rd picks for

Yashin and the 7th overall?
Not sure how realistic it is but assume that it could be. would you do this trade? Yashin makes a ton but the 7th overall is very appealing. Keep him for a year or 2 and see how he does with Carter. If it doesn't work buy him and and take the cap hit. Is it worth it to take a chance?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
i am dave

Ummm... yes.

But Neil Smith wouldn't.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
boredmale

how much does Hatcher make and i believe it's 3 more years?

From an Islanders perspective it's an interesting idea. We basically have about 8-10 million in the free agent season and have to sign 2 defensemen and 1 third line center in my opinion. Hatcher actually could fill a need and might make a decent #4 defenseman, beyond that we get rid of Yashin's 7 million dollar cap hit(for 5 more years).

I don't see Philly doing it though because it would be to much of a cap Issue.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 07:43 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
how much does Hatcher make and i believe it's 3 more years?

From an Islanders perspective it's an interesting idea. We basically have about 8-10 million in the free agent season and have to sign 2 defensemen and 1 third line center in my opinion. Hatcher actually could fill a need and might make a decent #4 defenseman, beyond that we get rid of Yashin's 7 million dollar cap hit(for 5 more years).

I don't see Philly doing it though because it would be to much of a cap Issue.
Hatcher makes $3.5 million.

I think the Islanders would be better off keeping the 7th overall pick and buying out Yashin at 2/3 spread out over twice the length of his contract.

Yashin has five more years on his contract? Is that right? Holy smokes! What did he get, a Gretzky-like lifetime contract?

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

whats the trade exactly? Do we get Yashin? If Yashin is in the deal we definetly not get him because of Bobby Clarke. As i have posted in some other threads, Bobby Clarke hates Russians, the second we get him he will try to get rid of him. I love Yashin, I think he is one of the better players.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Hatcher makes $3.5 million.

I think the Islanders would be better off keeping the 7th overall pick and buying out Yashin at 2/3 spread out over twice the length of his contract.

Yashin has five more years on his contract? Is that right? Holy smokes! What did he get, a Gretzky-like lifetime contract?
Ten years, I believe.

Not sure if I do this as a Flyers fan. Very tempting, but that contract handicaps you too drastically.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 08:07 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
Ten years, I believe.

Not sure if I do this as a Flyers fan. Very tempting, but that contract handicaps you too drastically.
Wow. I always thought that the outrage over the Yashin contract was the amount, but it was both the amount and the length.

I can't believe the Islander didn't give him a buyout last summer. I wonder if Mike Milburry wanted to and wasn't allowed by owner Charles Wang.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 08:17 PM
cjmurph

The Isles are willing to trade the 7th pick in order to get out from under Yashin's contract. Taking on Hatcher's contract defeats the purpose.

cjmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Wow. I always thought that the outrage over the Yashin contract was the amount, but it was both the amount and the length.

I can't believe the Islander didn't give him a buyout last summer. I wonder if Mike Milburry wanted to and wasn't allowed by owner Charles Wang.
I'm sure Milbury wanted to buy him out, but we're talking about the vicinity of $30 million just to buy a player out of his contract. No way a tightwad like Wang would just hand out that amount of cash to Yashin for nothing tangible in return.

Old
06-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmurph
The Isles are willing to trade the 7th pick in order to get out from under Yashin's contract. Taking on Hatcher's contract defeats the purpose.
No, it doesn't. In real life, Hatcher's contract looks bad, but looking at it in Isle-World, it looks great if you can get rid of Yashin's.

Yashin's contract is just that bad. You'd need to take a bad contract back in return, as well as giving up a valuable trading chip, a la high first rounder. I still don't think that's enough incentive for any team in their right mind to take on a contract that heinously bad.

Old
06-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

Clarke hates guys and contracts like Yashin's. 7th overall is tempting but I don't think Clarke would hamstring the team's future like that.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Pass

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
boredmale

Quote:
It was a 10 year deal. The story goes MM wanted to sign him to 5-6 years and Wang thought giving him a 10 year deal would show the Islanders were committed to winning. Would be nice just about now if he only signed that 6 year deal. I guess wang's reasoning in 2001 was also that with contract going up so fast 9 million a year would be cheap by time the contract was over.....doh

As for the comment they should have bought him out last summer, much easier to say that when you not paying 2/3 of the 40+ million he was owed last summer.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2006, 06:15 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
He just got rid of John Leclair's enormous contract at the beginning of this year. So I don't see this happening at all.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
daynus

yes that 7th overall is juicy

we could move up by trading 22 and some seconds, or the better option is to take what we can get, something like 1 fwd, 2 d and a goalie? with our 4 early picks.

we do have to get rid of hatcher, i'm sure clark is working on it right now. And resign Johnson and bring up Picard next year.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Lupul*

We're already stacked at center, we don't need another one for the next five years @ $7.6 million.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmurph
You think anyone wants the 7th pick badly enough to take on Yashin's contract? What is that? 35 mil for a good but not exceptional prospect?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
BringBackStevens

7th pick is nowhere near worth one of the worst contracts in sports history

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote