HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anson Carter was too Cool & Hip for Edmonton??

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 10:45 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Anson Carter was too Cool & Hip for Edmonton??

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...A-EC6A1D5F7989

this has to be a joke.........

Old
11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Allan

I remember that being in the papers right after he was traded, too.

I have enough good reasons to be glad he's gone - don't need silly ones too. :p

Old
11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker

funny...I thought it was the other way around.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:58 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
I really really really hope so...(man I wish still had rolleyes right about now )

Old
11-05-2003, 11:02 PM
windowlicker

that dvorak/carter trade is starting to look better and better with each passing day (even on days that neither of them plays)

Old
11-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Was I the only guy who seen tears in his eyes when he found out he got traded???

He loved the guys and he loved the city, I wouldn't take the article too seriously, anyways he might not be to cool for Edmonton, but he is probably realizing that there is more oppertunity in NY. He is launching his own rap label down there and will probably get his own clothing line in the near future.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:35 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
He is launching his own rap label down there and will probably get his own clothing line in the near future.
Are you serious?!? Man, I hope he produces better music than Shaq makes

Old
11-06-2003, 12:48 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Was I the only guy who seen tears in his eyes when he found out he got traded???

He loved the guys and he loved the city, I wouldn't take the article too seriously, anyways he might not be to cool for Edmonton, but he is probably realizing that there is more oppertunity in NY. He is launching his own rap label down there and will probably get his own clothing line in the near future.

does being a rich athlete automatically make you musically inclined?....
according to the NBA, NFL and now Anson Carter.. yes.......
that would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Oilers Hockey

Management complaing about what he wore because Edmontonians primarily wear western clothing? lol...he's got us confused with Cowtown!

What an ignorant writer!

Old
11-06-2003, 01:35 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
to be honest there was a part of Carter that did want to leave so yeah i think this article does have some credit on it i would personally take it seriously with the obvious stretch of the truth here and there which most newspaper columnists do. To be honest the day that trade happen I did say as did I think speeds that this deal is a better deal for the Oilers than the Rangers and Dvorak has proved that he is a much, much better player for the Oilers. Carter may have scored goals but he couldn't carry the team Dvorak so far has shown he can probably do that better than Carter as well as be a better player in getting a team going which IMO is much more important than what Carter brought to the table. Most people forget the structure of our team, young, passionate and impressionable. So it NEEDS to have a player in there that can create a few great chances even if they aren't put away to get the team going which is what Radek and Mike York seem to be doing well

Old
11-06-2003, 05:25 AM
oilswell

Quote:

He loved the guys and he loved the city
Its entirely possible to really enjoy the locker room and people of the city and not be entirely satisfied on the business side of life. As you point out, Carter at one level could have been sad to leave. But how does that mean he couldn't have been jumping for joy to be traded to a big market like NYC where he could spread his other business wings?

I know of many people who are loathe to leave their current life (friends, house, colleagues, neighbourhood, kids' school, etc.), but they are in a sense very happy to do so because of a promotion or a better-paying job. Its a daily occurrance all across the globe.

If you ask me, Carter definitely liked Edmonton quite a bit. And he also wanted to leave. The two are not incommensurate. I'm flabbergasted by the percentage of fans who apparently fail to realize this.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:57 AM
oilflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Management complaing about what he wore because Edmontonians primarily wear western clothing? lol...he's got us confused with Cowtown!

What an ignorant writer!
I agree with you hemskyfan! "Breaking the Ice", was written by Cecil Harris and I think he should be blamed for all his stupid remarks not Anson Carter. I guess poor George Laraque just isn't hip enough and loves wearing his cowboy clothes.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever read. I can't believe it comes from a legitimate news source. I don't know about you guys, but I'm Edmonton born & raised and I have exactly......0 friends who prefer 'western fashion'
Manoman, its articles like these then help to convince hockey players to go anywhere but Edmonton...

Old
11-06-2003, 06:25 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever read. I can't believe it comes from a legitimate news source. I don't know about you guys, but I'm Edmonton born & raised and I have exactly......0 friends who prefer 'western fashion'
Manoman, its articles like these then help to convince hockey players to go anywhere but Edmonton...
ok look at it from a business POV, where do you honestly think Carter's private financial investments would have panned out, Edmonton or LA/NY ?

From his own personal private life POV it was probably a great decision to move out to the east coast. like i said this article holds a truth to it but its been exaggerated in places.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
ok look at it from a business POV, where do you honestly think Carter's private financial investments would have panned out, Edmonton or LA/NY ?

From his own personal private life POV it was probably a great decision to move out to the east coast. like i said this article holds a truth to it but its been exaggerated in places.
Oh I totally agree with you. If Carter is business minded and looking to make a break into the entertainment industry after hockey, he sure wouldn't be doing himself any favors in Edmonton.
I thought the part where the writer suggested that The Oilers had a problem with his hip-hop style was ridiculous. Yeah, the Oilers can relaly afford to be that picky.
"Sure you're scoring goals Anson, but we don't like the dreads and the leather, It think its time we got you wearing some tight wranglers and a kercheif...you know to fit in with the hometown crowd and all"

Old
11-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Marconius

On a related note. It seems we're all happy with the Carter-Dvo trade over on this board. I posted a thread on th eRags board seeing what they though of the trade. Curious to see if we were buying into hometown hype, or if the Rangers would rather have Dvo back as well

Old
11-06-2003, 07:48 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

what a hunk of crap...if Carter really wanted the bright lights publicity, then he chose the wrong sport. Go play some basketball or football instead where suede hip hop jumpsuits are a dime a dozen.
If the above rumors are true though...the Rags should trade him to Nashville.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
what a hunk of crap...if Carter really wanted the bright lights publicity, then he chose the wrong sport. Go play some basketball or football instead where suede hip hop jumpsuits are a dime a dozen.
If the above rumors are true though...the Rags should trade him to Nashville.

Who really cares what he wears? A team should trade a player because he doesn't fit the mould of what a hockey player should look like? That's outrageous... Im sure that if his clothing was an issue, the team would have let him know. Anson seems like a decent guy, and Im sure that he would comply with whatever management wanted him to do. He is well liked by his teammates from what I understand, whether it be here, Boston, New York or team Canada. I really don't think that this came down to his choice of clothing.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:27 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
that's one of the sillyest article i ever heard

yes you heard me right SILLY :moon:

Old
11-06-2003, 08:49 AM
jofa

Alright cowboys (and cowgirls), who's got their "western wear" on today? If you ain't wearin' western wear, we ain't gonna like you in this city. Yee Haw!

silly article...

Old
11-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
that's one of the sillyest article i ever heard

yes you heard me right SILLY :moon:
brutal, brutal criticism

Old
11-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Alright cowboys (and cowgirls), who's got their "western wear" on today? If you ain't wearin' western wear, we ain't gonna like you in this city. Yee Haw!

silly article...

strike anyone else strange we have a headbanger smiley, but not "whoopin-it-up" cowboy smiley?

Old
11-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Cawz

Quote:
does being a rich athlete automatically make you musically inclined?....
Did anyone see the segment last year where they were out on the town and Anson was playing drums at the Commercial? Brothers got no rhythm. I dont know who his contacts are in the music industry (I wonder if the book mentioned anyone), but judging by what I saw, he wont get too much respect if he's not so musically inclined. I guess thats why he would be a producer.

"Management complaing about what he wore because Edmontonians primarily wear western clothing? lol...he's got us confused with Cowtown!"

Hey, youre the town with the rodeo on right now. Not Calgary. Yehaw.

Just kidding. That sounds like the most pointless book ever. The sad thing is how much money do you think he will make but writing it. Stupidity sells.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:55 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Who really cares what he wears? A team should trade a player because he doesn't fit the mould of what a hockey player should look like? That's outrageous... Im sure that if his clothing was an issue, the team would have let him know. Anson seems like a decent guy, and Im sure that he would comply with whatever management wanted him to do. He is well liked by his teammates from what I understand, whether it be here, Boston, New York or team Canada. I really don't think that this came down to his choice of clothing.
Of course clothing is not a factor in the trade. Hell, if Carter wore a thong to practice but scores 50 goals a season, I wouldn't mind. Its the attitude...thinking that he is too hip to be playing in Edmonton. That's the problem. However, this is all speculation and no one would know unless he speaks out, which I doubt.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:36 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Hell, if Carter wore a thong to practice but scores 50 goals a season, I wouldn't mind.

Ok, now how am I supposed to shake that mental image... eww. Ah well, better Carter in a thong than Cory Cross...

Closed Thread