HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Need some suggestions.

Old
06-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Live Forever

vCash: 500
OT: Need some suggestions.

I'm sure this board has a lot of musicians so basically I need some help. I'm currently undecided on which new guitar I feel like buying. I'm currently playing a Fender Strat American Series and a Fender DG22CE acoustic electric (2 investments I'll never regret) but I'm in the mood to add something else to my collection.

I was thinking a new effects board, but I already have a digitech RP300, not the type of board you'd want to have to rock out the bell center, but just enough for recreational use. I got it at a killer price about a year and a half ago on ebay so I snatched it right away.

What I'm leaning towards is upgrading my acoustic. I've been trying out a couple of higher-end Takamine models here and there but they just don't seem to cut it for me. It just seems that if those guitars aren't plugged into an amp, you're not getting your full moneys worth. But acoustic guitars have never been the same for me until I played a Taylor 414CE for the first time about a month ago. I've never played a guitar with so much ease like the time I played that Taylor. And the richest sound I've ever heard coming out of an acoustic. Taylor 414CE's price tag more or less = 1800$ though. I wonder if any of you can suggest something similar but also a little more affordable.

I was also considering getting a 12 string for a moment, but I said do I really need a 12 string?...no

I am also considering buying my dream guitar (a sunburst Gibson Les Paul) or perhaps a Gretsch but then again I've been playing mostly acoustics everywhere I've gone lately so maybe some suggestions on electrics would be nice. Once again, if price range can remain affordable that would help. That is why I'm hesitating for the Gibson and Gretsch.

Lastly, where do you recommend I buy my gadgets and gizmos? Preferably Montreal area.

P.S. I'll also add that I've been actually getting semi-serious musically speaking over the last couple of months seeing as I jam with a couple of friends about 3 times a week. So I guess you can keep that in mind when you make your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:08 PM
goalchenyuk

Takamine are building good guitars , but you have to try a lot of model to find the one you like . I don't know if they are still selling them , but 2 years ago , at ItalMelodie , there were few guitars Larivée ( not sure at 100% of the name , but if i am wrong , at least i know that it is a Quebecer guitare builder )

The sound of his guitars is very rich and loud . I never tried something else that had that kind of sound . I think that the guy is now install in USA , but they probably have 4-5 guitares in their showroom .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
znk

I would post this in the Entertainment forum. You'll get more actualy "artists" to see and reply to your post.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Live Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I would post this in the Entertainment forum. You'll get more actualy "artists" to see and reply to your post.
Good idea.

Oh yeah mark0v, They still had that brand at Ital the last time I went, but I didn't get the chance to play it.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Qui Gon Dave

My dad got my mum a Taylor acoustic for their anniversary a few years ago, think it was around £800 for that model (can't remember which model though) and it does have a great sound and feels very good to play. Some guitars you pick up and have to try and work to get the sound you want from it but this thing just feels right to play it, the quality and sound is enough to relax you and let you just get on with playing it. I got my own electro-acoustic a bit over a year ago. I was thinking about getting a Dean Performer Denim finish guitar but then i was scouring Ebay and found one of the models above that for the same price as the Denim. this is the one i got. As you can see, the most noticable thing about it is the finish, its just beautiful. As for the sound, i think its almost as good as the Taylor my mum has. The build is also good, although it doesn't feel quite as solid as the Taylor, it still feels easy to play. Plus this range (as far as acoustics go) aren't all that expensive. I ended up paying about £350 for mine. here are some more pics of my model (not my actual guitar though)

As for electrics, I could give you a couple of suggestions but it would be helpful to know exactly what you want from an electric. Some people only use guitars with Floyd Rose trems on, some wont use a guitar if it has a trem. Do you prefer having a certain number of frets on a guitar? What kind of pickups do you prefer? If you are after something that can be very versatile without breaking the bank, check out the Kramer Striker series. I read a review on one years ago and it got extremely good marks. they said although it cost about £200, it was the same kind of quality you could get from a £500+ guitar. Been tempted to get one myself for years but just never got round to it. have a look here

I'll save any other ideas for time being, but let us know more about what you like in a guitar and i'm sure we can come up with a few more suggestions for you.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote