HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you buy-out Hatcher??

Old
06-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Frank Nitty

vCash: 500
Would you buy-out Hatcher??

With the buy-out period starting today, do you think the Flyers should buy-out Hatcher? He has 3yrs left at 3.5m per so his cap hit if bought out would be 1.155m over the next 6 yrs according to the buy-out rules.

I know that is a long time to incur a cap hit but it would also free up 2.35mil per yr to go towards a d-man suited for the new NHL.

Frank Nitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I'm a little biased because I do like Hatcher. When all the injuries hit (Pitkanen, Desjardins, Johnsson) our blueline, he was our best defenseman. Then I think something happened with his knee, the one he hurt in the Olympic evaluation camp. I remember one of the Philly writers said that from January on, he had his knee wrapped after every game. He was really good for a while and then just suddenly didn't play well at all. I'd keep him and Rathje as well. These guys did fine when they were healthy. They were actually doing better than most people thought they would.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
BringBackStevens

no. id rather make due with him in the lineup then cripple ourselves with that cap hit.

we can just waive him becuase of his age when he was signed though.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
MojoJojo

No, or at least not yet. I would say by all means if we had options that were as good on the blue line that were cheaper: ie if Picard pans out. We really dont have much depth at this position though, and I would still rather have Hatcher at 3.5 than Randy Jones and the cap hit for the buy out. 2.35 will not get you an upgrade to Hatcher on the free agent market. Hatcher and Rathje are still decent defensemen, not as valuable in the today's NHL as they once were, but still are experienced and skilled guys even if their foot speed is not so great. Like last season, this season once again is going to see a sellers market for free agent defensemen, especially those that can skate.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
boredmale

Will the league allow teams to cut players while the Stanley cup is on? As for cutting him i would at least wait 1 more year. The way salaries will be flying out this summer 3.5 million will probably be considered cheap for a #4 guy. Beyond that so many teams will probably be left out in the cold once all the top names are signed they might be willing to trade for somebody like Hatcher. While Hatcher and his contract might not have much value, by summers end i don't think he will have negative value.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:56 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
The way salaries will be flying out this summer 3.5 million will probably be considered cheap for a #4 guy.
Yeah, especially with the cap increasing and practically every team wanting to get faster on the blue line. Look around, every team except maybe three or four needs to sign at least one defenseman, and about half the league has a big guy (or two) they want to dump thats been left behind by changes to the game.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:15 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Yeah, especially with the cap increasing and practically every team wanting to get faster on the blue line. Look around, every team except maybe three or four needs to sign at least one defenseman, and about half the league has a big guy (or two) they want to dump thats been left behind by changes to the game.
From an Islanders point of view:

Not that i would want Hatcher at this point(especially his salary), i still think he can be a servicable #4 defenseman. Going into the free agency period we have roughly 9-10 million freed up to sign 2 defensive defensemen and 1 2nd/3rd line Center(at least that is my beleif what our needs are).

As it stands now i would take roughly 3.5 million and go on the free agent market to see what it can get us(Salei, Mckee, Mitchell, etc etc). If we come up at the end of the summer empty handed, then i would think of picking up a guy like Hatcher for cheap(low draft pick) to be our #4 guy. He still has some good abilities(although not as good as before) and his experience is priceless.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I'd rather take my chances and see if someone will trade for him...if Clarke makes him available, someone will take him

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
There's teams out there that need a stay at home defenseman with some size. Clarke just has to find them.

I think Hatch still has some trade value because a) his contract isn't that exorbitant like everyone makes it out to be and b) he's a solid defender as long as he isn't being played 30 minutes a night... he's not in his twenties anymore damnitt.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 05:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
There's teams out there that need a stay at home defenseman with some size. Clarke just has to find them.

I think Hatch still has some trade value because a) his contract isn't that exorbitant like everyone makes it out to be and b) he's a solid defender as long as he isn't being played 30 minutes a night... he's not in his twenties anymore damnitt.

Sounds like a job for Mike Barnett

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote