HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers agree to terms with Colton Orr

Old
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
acr*

vCash: 500
Good sign...Bruins never should've let him go.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 08:31 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
atleast its not poti...plus im sure its for minimum money. keep that cap space alive.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I think its a good move, as long he is willing to bust his hump to improve his game. That said, they should throw him in front of the net and try to creat some screening with that big body of his. All in all it isnt a horrible deal, and who knows he could prove to be a building block in this wall we call the New York Rangers

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief
Yeah this is a great signing. Colton Orr could definetly turn into a solid 4th line winger. At his peak 10 goals and 10 assists could be realistic.
You do mean career totals, right?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:00 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Rather would have signed Laraque, and I still hope we do. Orr stopped wanting to fight near the end of the season, and if he doesn't fight, he's useless.

So we just gave away about $500K for a waste of space, ...Great.

Not a move that will kill us, but still poor cap management.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Personally, I don't think there are too many more worthless players in the NHL and I wouldn't have wasted a single cent on the guy but that's an old arguement...and it's really no big deal...

The important question is can he now be sent down to Hartford without waivers or does he have the potential to once again hold a roster spot hostage because Renney is afraid to lose his huge potential..
Orr would still have to pass through waivers to be sent down to Hartford. Chances are he could sneak through at the beginning of the season if he doesn't have an impressive training camp. I don't really care either way though.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
Rather would have signed Laraque, and I still hope we do. Orr stopped wanting to fight near the end of the season, and if he doesn't fight, he's useless.

So we just gave away about $500K for a waste of space, ...Great.

Not a move that will kill us, but still poor cap management.
At what point did he stop fighting? He played good 4th line hockey and even played and didn't hurt us in a playoff game. You need to understand if he fights you bash him if he plays you bash him. Give the kid a chance

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 10:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44
At what point did he stop fighting? He played good 4th line hockey and even played and didn't hurt us in a playoff game. You need to understand if he fights you bash him if he plays you bash him. Give the kid a chance
You know, the fact of the matter is that Orr, when presented with several opportunities to do so, did not do his job. There were several games towards the end of the year, when teams were running the Rangers players at will and he did not so much as lift a finger. I think that enforcers still have their place in hockey, but Orr, for all of his vaunted fighting prowers, did not do his job when the Rangers needed him to do it the most.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You know, the fact of the matter is that Orr, when presented with several opportunities to do so, did not do his job. There were several games towards the end of the year, when teams were running the Rangers players at will and he did not so much as lift a finger. I think that enforcers still have their place in hockey, but Orr, for all of his vaunted fighting prowers, did not do his job when the Rangers needed him to do it the most.
or his coach told him not to?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
94now

Scoring? Why would you want a goon to score? First off, hockey game is not only about scoring. Not allow the opposition to score is as important. Second, as long as NHL tolerate fighting and many fans believe it is fun to watch, there will be a need for such a role. The only spot on the roster he can take away is that intended for another goon. So far there's none to compete with. If Sather signs Laraque, Orr would be sent to Hartford as a training camp cut and will help the Wolfpacks who do not have a competitive enforcer. If not, he'll be at Renney disposal. Either way signing Orr is no brainer compare to other ones.
BTW, fighting on ice is a tricky thing. Muscles alone wouldn't cut it. No matter how silly it sounds you have to possess specific skills to do this part of entertainment.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
Scoring? Why would you want a goon to score?
Is this a real question?

Old
06-16-2006, 01:15 PM
94now

Quote:
Is this a real question?
Yes it is. Do you want everyone to score? How about goalie?

Old
06-16-2006, 01:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
Yes it is. Do you want everyone to score? How about goalie?
I think you are confusing wanting and expecting. If Henke was to start to chip in with goals, who would complain?
So, sure. I WANT everyone to score. But that is not what I expect.

Old
06-16-2006, 01:50 PM
94now

Quote:
I think you are confusing wanting and expecting. If Henke was to start to chip in with goals, who would complain?
So, sure. I WANT everyone to score. But that is not what I expect.
Semantics, TB. Next time you'd want a tackle to carry the ball for touchdown.

Old
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Bottom line is Orr doesn't cut it, he does not make us tough or physical. He adds some, but we are still lacking a ton. There is no harm in acquiring Laraque. We also need some tough guys who can play at a very high level, and some big-physical dmen

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:03 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
What exactly are you talking about?

- He stopped fighting towards the end of the season.
- Can't skate & can't handle the puck at all, so how can he "play good 4th line?"
- Didn't hurt us in a playoff game because he didn't get much time.
- How do I bash him if he fights if that's what I WANT him to do?
- He can't play, therefore, I bash him. He's useless if he DOESN'T FIGHT.

Get your facts straight man.

Old
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Well with Orr around in camp the Rangers will have somebody to sharpen skates and get lunch....

Not an NHL player and not that great of a fighter. If he ends up playing on the 3rd or 4th lines over a guy like Hossa (who can kill penalties) than it's a friggin crime.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
What exactly are you talking about?

- He stopped fighting towards the end of the season.
- Can't skate & can't handle the puck at all, so how can he "play good 4th line?"
- Didn't hurt us in a playoff game because he didn't get much time.
- How do I bash him if he fights if that's what I WANT him to do?
- He can't play, therefore, I bash him. He's useless if he DOESN'T FIGHT.

Get your facts straight man.

Bravo....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 06:30 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Well with Orr around in camp the Rangers will have somebody to sharpen skates and get lunch....

Not an NHL player and not that great of a fighter. If he ends up playing on the 3rd or 4th lines over a guy like Hossa (who can kill penalties) than it's a friggin crime.
You are nuts, Hossa is a true waste of space

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Edge

My only hope is that the argument doesn't come to Orr vs. Hossa.

If both of these guys aren't beaten out for roster sports than there were some kids with some pretty awful camps.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
eco's bones

If the Rangers see something in Orr so be it. I didn't see a whole hell of a lot last year. His skating needs a lot of work. And he's never going to get 10 goals in his career let alone in one season with his puck skills. To be an effective hitting forechecker you have to be able to skate. The only thing he does all that well is drop the gloves. Some are always worrying about the Brashears etc. that other teams have kept around but these guys had the most problems adjusting to the new NHL last season and I don't expect that is going to change. I look at guys like Asham, Neil etc.--guys who are tough and can play--this is the kind of player we need to address other teams with. The kind of guys who might turn into that some day are Dupont (one of my favorite prospects) Byers or Kozak and maybe we'll draft someone else this year but you want these guys to be able to earn their spot on the team despite whether they bring that element or not. In other words Dupont earns his spot someday not because he's a tough guy but because he's shown he's a good enough player and the tough part is just another element of the game he brings.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Pizza

For what Orr is and what the Rangers spend on him, this is a good signing. In Renney's mind at least, Orr has the potential(I stress the word POTENTIAL) to be a serviceable 4th liner.

Given what Tom has been able to do, that is good enough for me right now.

The Rangers need toughness. Let's not spend a lot of time and money looking for it, when Orr is already here.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 02:41 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
For what Orr is and what the Rangers spend on him, this is a good signing. In Renney's mind at least, Orr has the potential(I stress the word POTENTIAL) to be a serviceable 4th liner.

Given what Tom has been able to do, that is good enough for me right now.

The Rangers need toughness. Let's not spend a lot of time and money looking for it, when Orr is already here.
Yeah, but Orr STOPPED FIGHTING towards the end of the year. He must have been smoking some good stuff to actually believe that he could get by on his skills. Renney must be taking a few hits of that as well to believe that Orr could become a servicable 4th liner.

Players like this guy are the reason the quality of the NHL has detiorated over the years. We bring in useless goons like him, Worrell, Shelley, Purinton, Brashear, and it takes a spot from a servicable 4th liner who could make the game more exciting.

I wish Bob Probert would come back to purify the sport, and kick the crap out of these useless goons.

Old
06-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The day s of Probert are long gone. 6-8 years ago NHL goons took regular turns in the cup finals. We were run out of buildings and our stars were hit and injuried. See Peter Prucha for proof. The end of the regular season we didn't even have enough healthy bodies to play a NHL team. Ever stop to think Tom may have told Colto to tone it done? Were the scores out of reach any time to have a fight for no reason? The kid wasted Goddard after Goddard took a run at Kasper. He fought Brasher, MCgratton and all comers no one else in the system can do that right now. Kozak is a middleweight we all hate Dale and Griener sucks Let the kid play and learn

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 04:03 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
The day s of Probert are long gone. 6-8 years ago NHL goons took regular turns in the cup finals. We were run out of buildings and our stars were hit and injuried. See Peter Prucha for proof. The end of the regular season we didn't even have enough healthy bodies to play a NHL team. Ever stop to think Tom may have told Colto to tone it done? Were the scores out of reach any time to have a fight for no reason? The kid wasted Goddard after Goddard took a run at Kasper. He fought Brasher, MCgratton and all comers no one else in the system can do that right now. Kozak is a middleweight we all hate Dale and Griener sucks Let the kid play and learn
Petr pulled up before he was going to get hit and Stevenson's leg caught his leg. Those kind of injuries are going to happen now and again anyway--they're a product of the game. If I remember there were occasions with other injuries etc. where Colton was playing and sent no message. I think this business of having to have a goon around is way overrated. Players who don't have any skill don't belong.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote