HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline Skates

Old
06-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Pominville29

vCash: 500
Inline Skates

Sorry if people post about inline skates a lot. I'm just looking for a decent pair of hockey rollerblades, and thought you guys could point out a few good sites or give me some advice for what to look for.

Basically I'm looking for skates (will be used mostly outdoors) at a decent price, probably under $150. Also what type of inline skates would you recommend CCM, Mission, Bauer, Reebok, Nike...

Thanks for any help.

Pominville29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 02:14 PM
EazyB97

I'd recommend whatever fits your foot best. Looks for some close-out skates thaty are higher end, but on sale because they are last years model. Be careful, because they'll likely have indoor wheels, but you can switch'em out and you should be golden.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:52 PM
roast

Mission makes a COMFORTABLE skate...although EVERYONE I know who's had them have had issues with the chassis. I've busted two pairs, although got 3 years out of each.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:04 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Like someone said earlier... whatever you use normally, get that brand. I've been using CCM for a long time. I play inline as well and it seemed like everyone had a pair of Missions or Tours. So I got a pair of Tour Bluemax's and absolutely hated them. The boot didn't go up high enough on the ankle, the pitch was completely off (felt like I was on my heels the entire time), and to top it off it came with the Labeda Hum'er frame that everyone raves about. Hated that too because they were all 80mm wheels from front to back. Couldn't turn to save my life. Maybe these are all things that I COULD'VE gotten used to. But the fact of the matter is, I didn't have to. I went out and got another pair of CCM's, just like my ice skates, and turned them into inlines - slapped a frame on there I could tolerate.

All in all... if you want the transition to be as smooth as possible, just get whatever your ice skates are, and try to find a frame with an identical pitch. Oh, and you can still do this for $150 or less... I saw a barely used pair of my CCM's on ebay go for about 50 bucks.

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:54 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast
Mission makes a COMFORTABLE skate...although EVERYONE I know who's had them have had issues with the chassis. I've busted two pairs, although got 3 years out of each.
I agree 100% on your assessment of Missions. I had two different pairs and the axles kept falling out on both of them, it was very frustrating. Then the axle detached from the boot in the middle of a game and I was done for the night.

I have a pair of Tours now, I'm still not sure if I like them. The chassis hasn't given me any problems (even though the wheel scheme is 74 72 80 80, makes buying wheels and rotating them a pain) but the boot is not very comfortable. They seem to work okay though.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:39 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding
I agree 100% on your assessment of Missions. I had two different pairs and the axles kept falling out on both of them, it was very frustrating. Then the axle detached from the boot in the middle of a game and I was done for the night.

I have a pair of Tours now, I'm still not sure if I like them. The chassis hasn't given me any problems (even though the wheel scheme is 74 72 80 80, makes buying wheels and rotating them a pain) but the boot is not very comfortable. They seem to work okay though.
Good points there which brings up another thing I probably should've touched on earlier. The Tours that I had, with the Labeda frames, used a single axle system which at first I thought was clever but then I heard about people stripping the axle bolt itself or the threaded part of the frame.

Believe it or not I've been using a pair of SureGrip straight frames, uses all 76s and love it. I don't think they make this frame anymore but hockeymonkey still has a few pairs left for like 20 bucks I think. Very solid frame.

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:54 PM
crashlanding

Both my Missions had the single axle and they fell out right from the first week I had them on. My Tours have single axles too but I've never even had them loosen on me so they are working a lot better. Now I have to tape up my instep on my left foot though before putting a sock on or else I get a REALLY big blister.

My Missions I could skate in for hours and hours and it was very comfortable, now anything longer than 2 or 3 hours with my Tours and my feet start to kill me.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote