HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deal with the Leafs?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
Deal with the Leafs?

With a new GM in Toronto a lot of Leaf fans are waiting for when (not if) Ferguson drops the hammer on a big deal, as most new GM's like to put their mark on their new teams. A lot of the talk has been about possible deals with the Oilers.

One of the fan proposed trades is Antropov and Kaberle for Comrie and Brewer. The Oilers have tried to get both Antropov and Kaberle before, on numberous times including last year's trade dead line.(at least according to Bill Watters and the Toronto Media). Antropov would give the Oilers some much needed size up front and more offense. As for the injury questions, those questions existed last year as well and the Oilers were still interested. Kaberle would give the Oilers one of the bester, young offensive D-men in the league who should reach at least 50 points this season. Comrie (whos not playing for the Oilers, and isn't going too, so they aren't really losing him) would give the Leafs the speed they need and allow Nieuwendyk to move up to be the first line center. Brewer would give the Leafs the phyiscal D-man they need.

Now as for where the Oilers would be after the trade. With Antropov on the team a couple of the Oilers forwards (Horcoff, Isbister, Chimera) would/could become expendable. With the Thrashers missing both Heatly and Savard they would probably be very interested in one of those players to help boost their offense and Defoe would be an upgrade over Salo. The Sabres would probably be interested in moving one of their goalies for one those fowards, same with the Wild or maybe the Habs. Making a trade with one of those teams would upgrade the Oilers goal tending - meaning they would/could come out the deal with a much stronger offense and better goal tending, although at a bit of a hit to their defense (but as teams like the Lightning have proved, run&gun teams can be successful without a strong defense if their goal tending and offense is good).

Old
11-06-2003, 01:50 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think it is very safe to say that if all the Oilers managed to get for Comrie and Brewer is Antropov and Kaberle, there would be a plethora of angry Oiler fans.

Antropov is way to injury prone, and Kaberle hasn't thrown a body check in his entire career.

Old
11-06-2003, 02:05 PM
sluggo*

I should have included this before, but most talk as also had a pick or someone like Kondratiev going to the Oilers as well.

Questions about Antropovs health were the same last year as this year, the Oilers were interested then, I would think they still would be. He has a great upside and is what the Oilers need. And no Kaberle isn't a pyhsical d-man (the Oilers have several, and Kondratiev isn't afraid to give or take a hit) but hes fast, and is great with the puck. If you put him in with the Oilers style of play it would almost be like having a 4th foward on the ice, that would really benefit the Oilers style of play.

Old
11-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I should have included this before, but most talk as also had a pick or someone like Kondratiev going to the Oilers as well.

Questions about Antropovs health were the same last year as this year, the Oilers were interested then, I would think they still would be. He has a great upside and is what the Oilers need. And no Kaberle isn't a pyhsical d-man (the Oilers have several, and Kondratiev isn't afraid to give or take a hit) but hes fast, and is great with the puck. If you put him in with the Oilers style of play it would almost be like having a 4th foward on the ice, that would really benefit the Oilers style of play.
Yeah, but Antropov wasn't on the IR until mid-December at this time last year.

Although given his injury history, he probably was

Old
11-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Yeah, but Antropov wasn't on the IR until mid-December at this time last year.

Although given his injury history, he probably was
Antropov played 72 games last year. Most of his past injuries revolved around his knees. He's currently out with a shoulder seperation so it's more a case of bad luck this time around. Although that bad luck does seem to have a way of finding him.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I'm still not ready to give up on Brewer. He has struggled recently, but he has been outstanding in the past as well. he was good enough to make Team Canada in 2002. Doesn't that count for something? A few bad games and you want to trade him and our top center last year for a couple of so-so players? :moon:

Old
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
sluggo*

seanryann - Antropov and Kaberle are definatly not "so-so" players. Kaberle is a d-man who has gotten 40 points 3 years out of the 5 hes been in the NHL (and the year he only got 39 he only played 69 games, thats on track for 46 over 82 games) and is improving every year. Hes a guy that would fit into the Oilers style of play perfectly, hesnot a guy I would want to see the Leafs trade but he doesn't fit their needs right now. Antropov has a great up side and potential, the Oilers (and other NHL teams) have wanted him for a long time and I doubt a shoulder injury (not excatly major either) is going to make teams completely back off and drive down his trade value.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:22 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
seanryann - Antropov and Kaberle are definatly not "so-so" players. Kaberle is a d-man who has gotten 40 points 3 years out of the 5 hes been in the NHL (and the year he only got 39 he only played 69 games, thats on track for 46 over 82 games) and is improving every year. Hes a guy that would fit into the Oilers style of play perfectly, hesnot a guy I would want to see the Leafs trade but he doesn't fit their needs right now. Antropov has a great up side and potential, the Oilers (and other NHL teams) have wanted him for a long time and I doubt a shoulder injury (not excatly major either) is going to make teams completely back off and drive down his trade value.
Living in Toronto, I know exactly how much Kaberle has improved... which is not a whole lot. The leafs and fans were convinced that they had an absolute stud on their team, and he hasn't turned out that way.

Antropov may have good upside, but he is injury prone (and that doesn't mean he has to keep hurting the same thing). Kaberle and Antropov and a mid-range prospect aren't a very good return for Brewer and Comrie...

Old
11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
sluggo*

Not many people would call the ninth highest scoring D-man in the league last year a "so-so" player. And reguardless of what you think about Antropov, the Oilers have wanted him for a while and the injury issues aren't excatly "new".

Old
11-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Not many people would call the ninth highest scoring D-man in the league last year a "so-so" player. And reguardless of what you think about Antropov, the Oilers have wanted him for a while and the injury issues aren't excatly "new".
The Oilers may have wanted him for a while but I'd honestly rather place my faith in Stefan than Antropov right now. I hate to sound pesimistic but I don't think Antropov is ever going to overcome his injuries and develop into an impact player.. there is no doubt that his trade value is at an all time low in the NHL right now. He still definitely has the potential to break out into a great player but I would definitely not trade Comrie for him at this point...

Old
11-06-2003, 06:06 PM
barto

The Oilers may have been interested in Antropov last year, but I would highly suspect it WASN'T in exchange for Comrie...

How about Horcoff instead??

Bart

Old
11-06-2003, 06:20 PM
FacelessButcher

Are Frantisek Kaberle of Atlanta and Tomas Kaberle of Toronto brothers? They both play the same style of game. Similair bone structure in the face. Different places of birth.

Frantisek
Tomas

Old
11-06-2003, 06:27 PM
sluggo*

barto - Last year the Oilers wanted Tucker for Niinimaa, Quinn wouldn't do it. Then they asked for Antropov, against the Leafs turned it down and made a counter offer (I don't know who was in the counter offer). No, the Oilers probably wouldn't have traded Antropov for Comrie last year, but thats because they wouldn't have traded Comrie, period. Hes not playing this year, that changes things.

Yes the Kaberle's are brothers.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:46 PM
HOZ

Quote:
barto - Last year the Oilers wanted Tucker for Niinimaa, Quinn wouldn't do it. Then they asked for Antropov, against the Leafs turned it down and made a counter offer (I don't know who was in the counter offer). No, the Oilers probably wouldn't have traded Antropov for Comrie last year, but thats because they wouldn't have traded Comrie, period. Hes not playing this year, that changes things.

Yes the Kaberle's are brothers.

First of all how can you be so sure the Oilers wanted Tucker? And for Niiminaa? Where in the world did that revelation come from? Al Strachan? Some other CotU outlet?

And why in the world would the Oilers want that weenie? What our whine quotient not high enough? Need more unsportmanlike penalties? We need a player to make up stories why he went bizerk and got his but kicked?

Lets not forget the fact that Tucker's contract, age and lack of team spirit wouldn't fit.

As for you Antropov...the Oilers won't trade Comrie for him. Why? Because they would rather sit Comrie for free than have Antropov take his place for more than a million. Keep your DUD IR sitter.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:14 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
First of all how can you be so sure the Oilers wanted Tucker? And for Niiminaa? Where in the world did that revelation come from? Al Strachan?
Bill Watters was the assistent GM of the Leafs until July first 2003 (12 years) , now a local radio station has scooped him up and he does a radio show called Leafs Lunch, and he talked about the deal, thats what he said. Considering he worked on the deal, I think hes a pretty good source.

Quote:
Lets not forget the fact that Tucker's contract, age and lack of team spirit wouldn't fit.
Well, thanks for sharing that you've never seen Tucker play. Tucker makes his living on emotional play and takes "team spirit".

Quote:
As for you Antropov...the Oilers won't trade Comrie for him. Why? Because they would rather sit Comrie for free than have Antropov take his place for more than a million
Since when is nine hundred thousand more then a million? Really dude, all you did was show you've never seen Tucker play and talked about a players salary when you no clue about it. The oilers have wanted Antropov for a while, I think they'd take if they were able too. Ferguson most likely WILL make a big deal at some point this season, it wouldn't susprise me at all if the Oilers, Comrie and Antropov are involved.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:28 PM
barto

I do remember that Lowe & Co. were fairly keen on getting Tucker last year, but a straight Tucker-for-Niinimaa deal doesn't seem all that likely to me. I expect there was more to it than that, but who knows...

In any case, the need for Tucker is gone with the deal for Torres. Antropov, again, might be of interest but I don't think it would be for Comrie. The general feeling here is that Lowe needs more than that for Comrie, so he probably sits until Lowe gets more.

And Lowe et al are high enough on Brewer's potential that it would take more than Kaberle to get him as well...but that's just an Oilers fan perspective!

Bart

Old
11-06-2003, 08:02 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
First of all
HOZ, your new avatar RULES with an intensity that can not be denied!

Old
11-06-2003, 10:53 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
HOZ, your new avatar RULES with an intensity that can not be denied!
With all these Cat lovers here I had to bring back Tounces from the minors

Old
11-07-2003, 06:27 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
Tucker ..HUH ..no TEAM spirit ..hes about the only Bud with team spirit .Does he rub guys the wrong way ..yeah if your an underachieving floater there is no doubt Tucks will ride your a$$ ..he did it in Kamloops and we won 3 Memorial Cups !!!!!
Lowe has been trying to get Tucker for 2 years now ..this right from Tuckers mouth at the annual Blazers golf tourney . I dont think the Oil will be pursuing as much now that they have Torres ..but i would trade Tucker for Comrie straight up in a heartbeat .Tucker has more fight , spunk , desire , hunger what ever you want to call it , in his little finger than Brickboy has in his whole body.
Tucker playing a more offensive role , could outscore Comrie ..i mean Comrie will he ever achieve 100 point status? he has Spezza syndrome ..the same move over and over and over .
I think Oiler fans would love Tucker ..an Alberta kid ...who i am positive wouldnt mind being in the Edmonton spotlite that Comrie seems to hate so much.
I am one Oiler fan who would literally quit watching them play if they got Tucker... especially straight up for Comrie.

I really don't give a crap what he did in Kamloops... the guy is a huge target for the refs, and takes stupid penalties at inopportune times.

No thanks, keep him in Toronto where the little cheap shot artist belongs and fits in quite nicely.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:11 AM
fulk hogan

Quote:
I doubt the deal was simply Tucker for Niinimaa. Last year Tucker couldn't have had much more value than Isbister, so there must have been a top-notch prospect like Coliacovo (sp?) coming back as well. I'm also leery about Antropov's ability to stay healthy. Although its not the same injury, its still harrowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
i would trade Tucker for Comrie straight up in a heartbeat .Tucker has more fight , spunk , desire , hunger what ever you want to call it , in his little finger than Brickboy has in his whole body. Tucker playing a more offensive role , could outscore Comrie ..i mean Comrie will he ever achieve 100 point status?
I seriously doubt Lowe would trade Comrie for Tucker straight up. Then next day he would see his office in a box and a pink-slip laying on top. Also, its not like Comrie is soft; he's quite a feisty little guy. I'd rather take my chances on Comrie scoring 100 points than Tucker outscoring him.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I really don't give a crap what he did in Kamloops... the guy is a huge target for the refs, and takes stupid penalties at inopportune times.
Tucker doesn't really take that many stupid penalties.

Last year Tucker had around the same number of minor penalties as guys like Horcoff, Comrie, Marchant, Isbister and Dvorak.

To put it in perspective, Tucker had fewer minor penalties than Magnus Arvedsson.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty mcboobs
I doubt the deal was simply Tucker for Niinimaa. Last year Tucker couldn't have had much more value than Isbister, so there must have been a top-notch prospect like Coliacovo (sp?) coming back as well. I'm also leery about Antropov's ability to stay healthy. Although its not the same injury, its still harrowing.
You must learn not to pay much attention to sluggo. He has zero respect or credibilty on the Leafs forum.

Bill Watters (Leafs former assistant GM) told the whole story on the radio a couple weeks ago.

When the Leafs originally asked about Niinimaa last year, the Oilers immediately said they would want Tucker in return. The Oilers were told that Tucker wasn't available.

Later, when the Oilers had the Isbister/Torres deal on the table, they went back to the Leafs and asked for Antropov instead of Tucker. The Leafs turned them down.

The bottom line is that yes, the Oilers initially asked for Tucker. But when they saw what other teams were offering for Niinimaa, they upped the ante to Antropov.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Teezax

If the oil deal with Toronto , they'd be idiots givi9ng away Comrie and Brewer for Kaberle and Antropov. Kaberle is a good defenceman but I think Brewer will be better in the long run, and trading Comrie for Antro is a big joke. Antopov is the most over rated player i have ever seen. There's a reason this guy's name has been going around in trade rumors from the Lindros to TO days. The guy just plain sucks!
With a package like Brewer and Comrie, you could land a way more inticing return than that. Lowe would officially be known as a putz for going through with that one!

Old
11-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Master Lok

In his interviews, Lowe has consistently said that he wants either a top 6 forward or top 3 defenseman coming back for Comrie. Comrie and Brewer for Kaberle and Antropov. No way that happens. Horrible one sided deal.

Kaberle would be a top 3 defenseman in Edmonton. You're right, he does score on a consistent basis and would add a nice veteran element to the Oiler defense. He's 26 years old (i think) but his contract expires THIS year and he's making 2.75 million. That might make Lowe think twice. Although I wouldn't mind trading Comrie + 2nd pick to Toronto for Kaberle AND Antropov. To be honest, Antropov's value HAS dropped due to his recent shoulder injury. While its not his knees, he is either proving to be most fragile or that he just can't get out of the way of hits. Either one reduces his value and he's still a young UNPROVEN prospect.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
There's a reason this guy's name has been going around in trade rumors from the Lindros to TO days. The guy just plain sucks!
Great logic. That just makes all kinds of sense, doesn't it?

Let me let you in on a little secret -- Antropov sucks so badly that he's the guy every single GM asks for when they talk to the Leafs. That's right from Bill Watters, who was the Leafs' assistant GM last season.

Closed Thread