HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deal with the Leafs?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 10:13 AM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Not many people would call the ninth highest scoring D-man in the league last year a "so-so" player. And reguardless of what you think about Antropov, the Oilers have wanted him for a while and the injury issues aren't excatly "new".
Dan Boyle was the 5th highest scoring defenseman.

Many would call him so-so.

In fact, most Leaf fans probably don't even know who he is.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Although I wouldn't mind trading Comrie + 2nd pick to Toronto for Kaberle AND Antropov.

I think John Ferguson Jr. would mind a great deal, actually.

Do you guys really think you're going to get a return like that for Comrie? Serious question.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Let me let you in on a little secret -- Antropov sucks so badly that he's the guy every single GM asks for when they talk to the Leafs.
Just a shot in the dark here...but could that POSSIBLY be because he is the only non-prospect on the team with any trade value that isn't making stupid money?

Who doesn't want a 6'5" C?

Actually, no, they'd probably want a 36 year old winger (Just pick one)with chronic injury problems instead. Oh. Wait. Antropov has chronic injury problems too.

Maybe Toronto should get a new massage therapist or something.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Hemmer

Quote:

Do you guys really think you're going to get a return like that for Comrie? Serious question.
Not quite like that, but certainly as equitable as the Poti/York deal, and likely in the calibre of the Drury deal.

Serious answer. Lowe won't deal him otherwise.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:06 PM
T$$$

vCash:
If I'm Kevin Lowe, I don't see anything on the Leafs roster that would intrigue me. I'm not the biggest Antropov fan, and Kaberle for Brewer is not a good deal. Brewer in my mind has much more potential, and is still learing to shoulder the burden of being a number 1 d-man. Brewer will be a Norris candidate in a few years, just watch.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:53 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

precisely i do not see anything on the leafs roster that would get my interest other than mats sundin.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Mizral

I may be in the minority here, but from an Oilers point of view, I would be very close to making this deal.

I feel Kaberle is exactly the player the Oilers need. The power play alone would VASTLY improve with him on the ice. Brewer is almost regressing lately. His value may never be higher.

The only problem here, as mentioned, is Antropov's injury situation. So I would propose this:

Comrie & Brewer to Toronto, for

Kaberle, Antropov, a conditional 2nd round pick (if Antropov plays less than 40 games for the Oilers this year - would drop to a 4th if Antropov doesn't play 40 games), as well as prospect Brandon Bell.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Marconius

Quote:
barto - Last year the Oilers wanted Tucker for Niinimaa, Quinn wouldn't do it. Then they asked for Antropov, against the Leafs turned it down and made a counter offer (I don't know who was in the counter offer). No, the Oilers probably wouldn't have traded Antropov for Comrie last year, but thats because they wouldn't have traded Comrie, period. Hes not playing this year, that changes things.

Yes the Kaberle's are brothers.
For Real?
So you're telling me Lowe was offering up Niinimaa for Tucker????
Man-o-man, I'm glad that didn't go down and also have to seriously question Lowes trading ability. Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tucker have one of the lowest trade values around (for establsihed players) due to his supposed attitude problems.
Also I heard this mentioned in a nother thread about some kind of sex scandal in the Leaf's locker room. Anyone care to explain? Or is this just one of those unfounded rumor-mongering things....

EDIT:Jsut read through the thread and my big question has been answered, that being Niinimaa for Tucker straight up was not the deal

Old
11-07-2003, 01:46 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
I don't know. Considering fans representing almost every other NHL team come to this forum on a near daily basis, asking what it would take to get Comrie on their team... why don't you answer the question yourself?

Plus, if Atlanta ups the ante due to Savard's injury... that means everyone else will have to make their offers a little sweeter if they want Comrie in their lineup.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:14 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't know. Considering fans representing almost every other NHL team come to this forum on a near daily basis, asking what it would take to get Comrie on their team... why don't you answer the question yourself?

Plus, if Atlanta ups the ante due to Savard's injury... that means everyone else will have to make their offers a little sweeter if they want Comrie in their lineup.
Who is everyone else?

Dont get too excited about fans coming here and enquiring,some of us aren't NHL gms.

I like Comrie,he's a fairly gritty,very fast forward with nice offensive ability.He's no star though and this problem he's having with the oilers right now isn't doing his trade value any good.

I think what the oilers will get for him is likely a top 6 forward or 3/4 d-man with a little gift thrown in like a 3-5 round pick or a 2nd tier prospect(not a blue chip).Or possibly if the team is somewhat wealthy the gift may in fact be a little cold hard cash.I don't expect Lowe to accept any less and he really shouldn't expect anything more.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Who is everyone else?
Confirmed inquiries about Comrie have come from Anaheim, LA, Philadelphia, Florida and of course Atlanta.

Other teams mentioned as interested Buffalo, San Jose.

That would be everyone else.

Antropov...injury prone.
Kaberle is decent.
and my opinion on Tucker hasn't changed.

I wouldn't want to trade with TO because they don't have much that Edmonton could actually use.(Due to either age of financial restrictions)

Old
11-07-2003, 02:40 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Confirmed inquiries about Comrie have come from Anaheim, LA, Philadelphia, Florida and of course Atlanta.

Other teams mentioned as interested Buffalo, San Jose.

That would be everyone else.

Antropov...injury prone.
Kaberle is decent.
and my opinion on Tucker hasn't changed.

I wouldn't want to trade with TO because they don't have much that Edmonton could actually use.(Due to either age of financial restrictions)
I was never even considering the leafs or any of the players you mention.

Thats why they dont show up in my post.

Old
11-07-2003, 03:13 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Who is everyone else?

Dont get too excited about fans coming here and enquiring,some of us aren't NHL gms.

I like Comrie,he's a fairly gritty,very fast forward with nice offensive ability.He's no star though and this problem he's having with the oilers right now isn't doing his trade value any good.

I think what the oilers will get for him is likely a top 6 forward or 3/4 d-man with a little gift thrown in like a 3-5 round pick or a 2nd tier prospect(not a blue chip).Or possibly if the team is somewhat wealthy the gift may in fact be a little cold hard cash.I don't expect Lowe to accept any less and he really shouldn't expect anything more.
I hear what you're saying, and agree with you... its been beaten to death over here.

I can't wait for a trade to happen to see exactly what the value will be. I think you're pretty close to what will actually happen, but some of the offers have been so hilarious they make me angry (if that makes any sense).

Old
11-08-2003, 09:51 AM
sluggo*

"Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tucker have one of the lowest trade values around "

According to Bill Watters (again the Leafs assistent GM for 12 years) there are 3 players that Leafs get asked about all the time - Antropov, Kaberle and Tucker. And yes the first deal the Oilers offeredt he Leafs was Tucker for Niinimaa, unless Watters is lying and I don'tk now why he would.

Someone said the only leaf that would interest them is Sundin, if it was up to be I'd more then willing to give the Oilers Sundin.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
"Correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tucker have one of the lowest trade values around "

According to Bill Watters (again the Leafs assistent GM for 12 years) there are 3 players that Leafs get asked about all the time - Antropov, Kaberle and Tucker. And yes the first deal the Oilers offeredt he Leafs was Tucker for Niinimaa, unless Watters is lying and I don'tk now why he would.

Someone said the only leaf that would interest them is Sundin, if it was up to be I'd more then willing to give the Oilers Sundin.
Man... some people really don't get it. There is a very slim chance, IMO, that there was any talk about a straight-up Tucker for Niinimaa trade.

I do believe that Lowe inquired about Tucker, while shopping Niinimaa... but that in no way translates in to Lowe offering a one-for-one deal, because that would make no sense whatsoever. My thoughts are that Lowe was actually looking for prospects or draft picks in exchange for Niinimaa, but required a warm body as part of the package.

Lets do a little role reversal: say Ferguson was shopping Sundin and came to the Oilers...

Lowe: "Hello"

Ferguson: "Hey Kev... listen, I'm looking to shake things up a bit here and am looking to trade Sundin. We're even willing to pick up part of his salary. We'd obviously need some sort of centre back, but we're also starving on d - the player we'd want back is Staios."

Lowe: "Well, we need a top line centre and would love to have Sundin if he was made affordable. We can offer up Comrie, because we're trying to unload him anyway, but if Staios was involved we would need back another dman back - because even though he's about to become a UFA, he would be hard to replace given our own problems on defence."

Ferguson: "No deal... we'd like Staios back, but can't give up any of our own roster-ready defensemen"

At which point Kevin Prendergast gets on as many radio shows as he can and tells everyone that Ferguson called up Lowe and was offering Sundin plus salary for Staios.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:19 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
"Man... some people really don't get it. There is a very slim chance, IMO, that there was any talk about a straight-up Tucker for Niinimaa trade"
This is how Bill Watters (who worked on the deal) said it happened. The Oilers offered Tucker for Niinimaa. Quinn said no. Oilers offered Antropov for Niinimaa. Quinn said no. The Leafs made a counter offer (one of 11 the Oilers got for Niinimaa) which the Oilers didn't take. Plus a lot of the Toronto media was reporting that rumor as well. Watters could be lying, but I can't see why he would.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:13 PM
mamettt

Take the deal and run

I would do Comrie and Brewer for Antropov, Kaberle, and a good prospect or, let's say a 2nd round pick. Why do I say this? I equate comrie with antropov. Yes, I know antropov is injury prone. But when he's healthy, he's a young version of bobby holik. Given the fact that what the oilers have been lacking for, hmmm, let me see here, more than a decade now has been a big, strong, young, physical 2nd line center. Antropov answers a huge, glaring need that the oilers have had for a long time, and unless you're going to go trade for svitov, he's the best bet to answer that. Comrie has better pure goal scoring ability, but in terms of size, grit, defense, and vesatility, antropov blows him out of the water. Lowe has shown that, poor attitude/play/injuries will not deter him from trading for a player he likes. We saw it with york(everybody said during the last half of every year he faded due to his small frame), we saw it with isbister/torres, and we saw it with dvorak. If K. Lowe targets a player he likes, he gets him and puts his faith in him.

For all the talk I've heard about Brewer being the next great defensmen, he hasn't even sniffed what Kaberle has done with the leafs. Kaberle is not just a good but a great offensive d-man/pp QB, and given our woefeul PP over the last decade, a 25 year old who can replace ninimma on it would be a welcome sight. Brewer has shown himself to be just as defensively irresponsible as Kaberle can be, the only difference being that kaberle has a huge offensive advantage. At 25 years of age, kaberle, like brewer, can improve. Then you add in a good draft pick or a good prospect who could play for the oilers in two or three years, and I make this trade. We get bigger, better, and answer a long term need in our forward corps(a big 2nd line center is very hard to find) and we get a huge boost on our PP at the backend, we stay young, and we get a good propsect out of it. All in all, yes, do this deal immediatley.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
The Oilers offered Tucker for Niinimaa. Quinn said no. Oilers offered Antropov for Niinimaa. Quinn said no.
Well, not to start a big fight, but if Quinn said no to that deal then he really is/was a terrible GM. The Leafs at that time we certainly among the favourites to make the final 4, with the only hole being the backline.

I honestly hope it's not true, because Leaf fans deserve better than that.

Closed Thread