HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Season ticket increase by 5%, total BS

Old
06-16-2006, 12:08 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Season ticket increase by 5%, total BS

They have a lot of balls. Huge ones to raise prices. With a cap in place they are turning such a profit it is sickening. They said it is a cost of living increase. Well that is bs. After they lowered them last year by a dollar or 2 they raise it even more this year. When their payroll was over 60mm they made money. I have had season tickets since 85. I sell most of the tickets as it is to expensive. This is a classless move. The story is in the inquirer.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

so in essence the highest priced tickets in the league just went higher ... sounds like Philly fans need to revolt a little

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
what do you expect. people here are still gonna pay the prices, and they are still gonna pack the stadium. it is a business, and they can do what they want to the ticket prices

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
what do you expect. people here are still gonna pay the prices, and they are still gonna pack the stadium. it is a business, and they can do what they want to the ticket prices
I agree but it doesn’t make it right. They will not see any significant drop in attendance if any so from a business standpoint it makes sense. So much for the more fan friendly try to make it affordable for the average person. This is the reason why the atmosphere down there sucks(non playoffs). You have non hockey, casual Flyers fan who jusy happens to have money and go to the game. They sit there on cell and have no idea what they are really watching.

Old
06-16-2006, 01:11 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
I agree but it doesn’t make it right. They will not see any significant drop in attendance if any so from a business standpoint it makes sense. So much for the more fan friendly try to make it affordable for the average person. This is the reason why the atmosphere down there sucks(non playoffs). You have non hockey, casual Flyers fan who jusy happens to have money and go to the game. They sit there on cell and have no idea what they are really watching.
hey i agree with your point, but in the end you just gotta suck it up and pay the price if you want to see the games. by now its clear that the flyers aren't interested in making the prices affordable for the "average" person

Old
06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
hey i agree with your point, but in the end you just gotta suck it up and pay the price if you want to see the games. by now its clear that the flyers aren't interested in making the prices affordable for the "average" person
by now it's clear that the Flyers are run by smart businessmen... it's life. supply and demand, it kicks you in the nuts with regularity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
by now it's clear that the Flyers are run by smart businessmen... it's life. supply and demand, it kicks you in the nuts with regularity.
yup

Old
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Snap Wilson

Did your "facility fee" go up any?

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 02:36 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Well it could be cost of living. Our economy has been crap since Bush took office(not to be off topic, and to be fair I voted for him...). Understand the amount of money we've sent down in the past YEAR to help Katrina is, from what I heard, 25% of what we spend on Iraq in a DAY. So you can guess how bad our economy is. Wit a crap economy, they'll need to raise prices. That and inflation's been bad. Look at gas prices, etc. There's a lot going wrong with our economy, and its affecting ALL BUSINESSES.

I never thought I'd say this, but we need a democrat back in office.

Who knows, maybe they raised the prices because of said supply and demand also. There was no hockey next year, they knew there'd be a rush back. Hell, I would raise prices too if I were in their position.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 03:22 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
They have a lot of balls. Huge ones to raise prices. With a cap in place they are turning such a profit it is sickening. They said it is a cost of living increase. Well that is bs. After they lowered them last year by a dollar or 2 they raise it even more this year. When their payroll was over 60mm they made money. I have had season tickets since 85. I sell most of the tickets as it is to expensive. This is a classless move. The story is in the inquirer.

Wait...you didn't actually think the cap would help reduce ticket prices did you?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Did your "facility fee" go up any?
Comcast owns the building and the team, so if it did "go up" it would just be a shell game to justify higher ticket prices.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Wait...you didn't actually think the cap would help reduce ticket prices did you?

Word for word, my thoughts exactly

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Gas Prices = HIGH ... therefore prices for everything have gone up.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
i am dave

This was obvious from the moment single game seats were sold out for the season back in December. It's not ballsey, it's smart business.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
jb**

just venting. when they had a 60mm + payroll didn't mind at all as they were a high spedning team. With the cap thought it would be a while especially after a first round exit. I would love to hear how much of a profit they made this year, the financials for all teams, anyone have any links with that info? Like everyone has stated supply demand and it is good business as they know they will sell out either way. I guess hiring Brown and Berube to big money contracts they had to make it up someway!

Old
06-16-2006, 08:43 PM
BlackAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
"Yup"

Whoa...Quite a change in attitude from the Brownie thread my friend.

Now I know that in your head,you understand what the Flyers are all about,but your heart still pumps that orange and black blood.

I understand,I've been there.Give it 10 more years or so there youngin'.You'll get tired of it too.

A good point was raised earlier in the thread,about regular season fans in attendance.And being the smart buisnessmen the ownership is,that's all that counts..the dollar.

Loyalty is great...to an extent,but if ownership knows that no matter what kind of product they put on the ice they'll pack the building,it's the owners that win...not the fans.

Don't hate me,hate the game..which in this case is the dollar.

BlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAttack
"Yup"

Now I know that in your head,you understand what the Flyers are all about,but your heart still pumps that orange and black blood.

I understand,I've been there.Give it 10 more years or so there youngin'.You'll get tired of it too.

A good point was raised earlier in the thread,about regular season fans in attendance.And being the smart buisnessmen the ownership is,that's all that counts..the dollar.

Loyalty is great...to an extent,but if ownership knows that no matter what kind of product they put on the ice they'll pack the building,it's the owners that win...not the fans.

what...? i didn't even post in the brown thread...

as long as this team is run by Snider they will do everything in their power to win... the product on the ice isn't a concern in terms of effort to win.

Old
06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
"Yup"

i think your talking to me, so ill respond. why would philadelphia fans be upset with the product on the ice? we haven't missed the playoffs for over 10 years and everytime i go to a game its worth every cent. if someone doesn't want to pay the bucks, then sit at home and watch the damn game. no one is forcing anyone to go to the game, but guess what? people obviously enjoy the games and think it's worth the money.

you say this is what the "flyer's are all about"? give me a break, there isn't an ownership in the league that wouldn't do what the flyers are doing if they had the market we have here in philadelphia at their finger tips. you talk of your buffalo sabres like they are gods gift organization to hockey, sorry buddy but the prices there aren't cheap because they are nice guys, its because the market sucks and they can't afford to do what the flyers are doing.

if you have real, constructive criticism then say it, but everything you've posted has been a garbage attempt at bashing the flyers' organization. if you're gonna do it, at least do it right.

Old
06-19-2006, 02:48 PM
DXFlyers

If it makes you feel any better, Phantoms season tickets remained the same. lol

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM
BlackAttack

ok...The Flyers also need to cut a bunch of money in payroll to make the cap,but still raise ticket prices.

Is that constructive enough for ya'?

Last edited by BlackAttack: 06-19-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old
06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
BlackAttack

"why would philadelphia fans be upset with the product on the ice?"

I don't want to ruin the flow of the thread,maybe you could start a new thread with this title and see what kind of response you get.

Old
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
frozenrubber

Just Sad

I find the attitude of this thread just downright sad. While it started w/ genuine outrage, it's was become muddled and depressing. Fans bowing to economic models of supply and demand.

While the cap handcuffed big market teams spending, it quietly handed them 20-30 million in possible profits to the owners (Philly, NYR...etc).

And I'm not overly skewed here. I'm not dreaming of some fan eutopia of free tickets and nickel beers. However, here is my big BUT...

The Flyers have assembled a very successful franchise that doesn't not/should not pass on increases of .01% to 5% to fans. When a franchise has put up 10 years of quanitfiable success, the increases should be passed to the deepest pockets...business suites/packages.

While some will argue they won't accept the changes, businesses can much more easily absord as well as justify the change in pricing. The Flyers have put together such a good package in the last decade, there relatively little risk for a corporation in purchasing a suite and not seeing a competitive team.

Expansion teams and struggling franchises normally have problems selling suites. However, a year in and year out playoff team in the Flyers should encounter no problem. Especially since luxury suite sales supplant many franchises profitability, a decent increase in business level pricing can offset inflation/cost of living changes. Hell, Wachovia is one of the newest arenas in the league, it has taken luxury suite revenue into account in its design.

126 luxury suites and 1,880 club level seats give the franchise all the needed financial flexibility...especially in a system so heavily tilted to the owners.

Before all of us rationalize this price increase, I still believe the league franchises owe an equal amount of loyalty to their fans as the fans have displayed for years.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
so in essence the highest priced tickets in the league just went higher
Highest in the league? I think not. Seats in Toronto are ridiculous. It cost me less to drive the 10 hours to Philly, get two seats, a couple beers and a cheesesteak than two decent seats in TO.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 01:29 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
"why would philadelphia fans be upset with the product on the ice?"

I don't want to ruin the flow of the thread,maybe you could start a new thread with this title and see what kind of response you get.
we haven't won a cup? so what? that doesn't detract from having an enjoyable time at the game, watching a team that is most likely going to win or at least play a close and entertaining game.

Old
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber
Before all of us rationalize this price increase, I still believe the league franchises owe an equal amount of loyalty to their fans as the fans have displayed for years.
franchises "owe" nothing to the fans... you create the environment in which they operate. it's life. no business, franchise, etc. is there to be your friend. would it be nice if they were? yes. however, that's a utopia that we have yet to discover.

if you're going to spend time throwing outrage at an organization that does everything in its power to win every year, following sound economic principles... you're going to be huffing and puffing for the rest of your life.

it's just not worth it.

if people are really outraged, they'll stop going to games and the prices will come down... i'm betting the Flyers continue to sell-out.