HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Heads up, Draft media guide.

Old
06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Aarex

vCash: 500
Heads up, Draft media guide.

I wanted to point everyone to check out the Media guide that was posted on the draft board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=260217

there is enough information in that guide that you could read for hours on end. I was skeptical about Claude Giroux until i read his personal profile in that guide.

CLAUDE GIROUX
Gatineau • QMJHL
5’ 10”, 169 lbs. Right Wing, shoots right
Born: January 12, 1988 in Hearst, Ontario
Final Ranking: 38 • Mid-Term Ranking: 72 • North American Skater
Central Scouting Report: Is a good skater with solid playmaking ability who reads the play and is able to move he puck through traffic with pin-point passing ...has very good hands, handles the puck well in a crowd ...is elusive, creative and patient ... hangs on to the puck creating opportunities ... is quick to jump into openings and carries the puck with confidence ... a clever playmaker who excels killing penalties – he gets many scoring chances ... has very good hockey sense with a quick and accurate wrist shot ... is not considered a physical player but is not afraid of getting involved competing at home and on the road ... is used in all game situations, plays a steady two way game ... does not hesitate to be first on the puck and will take a hit to make a play ... has a way of angling himself along the boards, which allows him to come out with the puck most of the time ... was a walk-on at training camp and signed as a free agent ... was selected to play in the 2006 CHL Top Prospects Game in Ottawa.

Personal Profile: Hometown is Hearst, Ontario ... favorite NHL team is Montreal ... favorite player is Canadiens’ Alexei Kovalev ... thanks his parents for having the most influence on his hockey career ... patterns his style of play after Kovalev because he controls the play ... most memorable hockey game played was his first game in the QMJHL ... favorites include: Friends (TV show), Slap Shot (movie), Will Ferrell (actor) ... if he could have dinner with any three people, he would invite: Alexei Kovalev, Wayne Gretzky and Bob Gainey.

Last edited by Aarex: 06-16-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Hawerchuk9

Wow! Thanks a lot!

Hawerchuk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
if he could have dinner with any three people, he would invite: Alexei Kovalev, Wayne Gretzky and Bob Gainey.
2 out of 3 ain't bad. I liked that kid since I saw him play I think it was at the u-18 tournament (?) , was impressed by his second efforts, and thirds and etc.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I wouldn't mind Giroux at all. And who knows, maybe he's not that far of Brassard

He's not really tall, but he wouldn't be ready for another 3 years so by that time, Chipchura, Lapierre and Latendresse will be on the team so it's not that bad...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
2 out of 3 ain't bad. I liked that kid since I saw him play I think it was at the u-18 tournament (?) , was impressed by his second efforts, and thirds and etc.
Giroux was at the u-18? I must have missed something.... I thought he was still playing in the playoffs at this point of the season.

Anyways, I like the guy a lot, I would draft him in the first round depending on the players picked ahead of us. He's a potential impact player imo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
V-2 Schneider

Is Giroux about the same size as what Svatos was when drafted?

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:12 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
Giroux was at the u-18? I must have missed something.... I thought he was still playing in the playoffs at this point of the season.

Anyways, I like the guy a lot, I would draft him in the first round depending on the players picked ahead of us. He's a potential impact player imo.

Wasn't he on the quebec team that won a tournament last year?

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:17 PM
All-Star

I'd be curious to see what his father looks like, but at 169 pounds, he might be way too light to have much of an impact the NHL. Anyone know if has the potential to get bigger? I'm not asking for King Kong here, but a 5'10" player usually should be around 190 to 200 pounds of muscle to be really effective at the rough stuff during the playoffs; especially if he's only a "good" skater and not a "lightning quick" skater.

Change the "good" skater to "average", and the profile might fit a guy like Corey Locke when he was playing for Ottawa.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
I'd be curious to see what his father looks like, but at 169 pounds, he might be way too light to have much of an impact the NHL. Anyone know if has the potential to get bigger? I'm not asking for King Kong here, but a 5'10" player usually should be around 190 to 200 pounds of muscle to be really effective at the rough stuff during the playoffs; especially if he's only a "good" skater and not a "lightning quick" skater.

Change the "good" skater to "average", and the profile might fit a guy like Corey Locke when he was playing for Ottawa.
He was 5'3 about a year ago, he had a huge growth (I don't really know how to call it...), but he'll probably not be taller than 5'9-5'10. His light weight is due to his quick growth though, so he will likely be able to be 180, which is perfect for him.

I was really impressed by him, especially his unbelievable development through the season. He's a better skater than Locke too; he doesn't have great wheels, but he's agile and moves well enough to make him "look" quick.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:27 PM
V-2 Schneider

I recall THN 1998 guide listing Simon Gagne as 6'0 165lbs.It also said some scouts had questions about his skating.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 08:02 PM
znk

While I was reading that I kept seeing Daniel Briere in my mind.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
BORAT

Word around scouting is that the kid is deceptive, and has that '' second gear '' to be frank It's certain he'll be gone early ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Just for fun, here are the players whom their favorite team are the Habs

Already mentionned, Claude Giroux

Noteworthy, Derrick Brassard

Benjamin Breault
Mathieu Carle
Cal Clutterbuck (interesting... I like his style of play)
Blake Geoffrion, but he also likes Nashville
Ryan Hillier
Riley Holzapfel
Ivan Vishnevski

Notice how Giroux, Brassard, Breault, Hillier, Holzapfer and Vishnevski are of light built right now...

Not that it should determine if we draft them or not, but I suppose that being drafted by their favorite teams can probably boost their pride and willingness to do whatever they need to in order to succeed

Anyway, just for fun

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 11:13 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Giroux has the hockey sense, the skills and the playing style to perform in the NHL. BTW, I watched him in a couple of playoffs games and he's really a good skater. His acceleration is really good, he's very agile and he carries the puck at full speed...

Old
06-16-2006, 11:14 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurCHAOS
Just for fun, here are the players whom their favorite team are the Habs

Already mentionned, Claude Giroux

Noteworthy, Derrick Brassard

Benjamin Breault
Mathieu Carle
Cal Clutterbuck (interesting... I like his style of play)
Blake Geoffrion, but he also likes Nashville
Ryan Hillier
Riley Holzapfel
Ivan Vishnevski

Notice how Giroux, Brassard, Breault, Hillier, Holzapfer and Vishnevski are of light built right now...

Not that it should determine if we draft them or not, but I suppose that being drafted by their favorite teams can probably boost their pride and willingness to do whatever they need to in order to succeed

Anyway, just for fun
Yeah it's always nice...

Old
06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
NORiculous

Nice! thanks!

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 05:35 PM
psychonaut

Wow a franco-Ontarian would be nice.
Northern Ontario represent
Not sure of picking him up in the 1st round but I would realy like too get him.

psychonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Pat

I' m pulling for a puck moving D as our first rounder, but if Giroux is the BPA come Habs turn to speak...then so be it, I won't be pissed. I like what I read about him.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Form and Substance

if some of the puckmoving d-men are gone (like Sanguinetti, Wishart,etc..), I'd snap Giroux at 16.
I'd be cautious however to take him that earlybut would gladly do so if he's still there in the 2nd round.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
if some of the puckmoving d-men are gone (like Sanguinetti, Wishart,etc..), I'd snap Giroux at 16.
I'd be cautious however to take him that earlybut would gladly do so if he's still there in the 2nd round.
yeah, that's the big IF. I don't think he'll make it to the second round. read somewhere that he could be Colorado's choice in the first round

Old
06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
habsforlife

i think its very good to draft a player who his favorite team is the habs.

worked well for higgins!

habsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforlife
i think its very good to draft a player who his favorite team is the habs.

worked well for higgins!
it's another + when his favorite player is on his favorite team.

damn, I think I'm sold on that kid. draft him Bob, do the right thing

Old
06-17-2006, 06:56 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Is it official that the Habs pick 16th?

Last edited by ForsbergForever: 06-17-2006 at 07:01 PM.
ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

OT from the hockey side of the player reviews... is this a bad year for musical taste or what? What proportion of "real" 17-18 year old kids are truly Nickelback, Coldplay, 50 Cent, and assorted New Country fans?

I also learned that I have no idea who Jessica Alba is, and that Lance Armstrong and Will Ferrell are apparently massively more popular than I would ever have dreamed.

To be honest, I found that part of the guide far more informative and interesting than the player reviews, which completely shy away from saying anything critical or original about the players. General speaking a "good skater" comment must mean the player has serious problems, otherwise he'd be an "outstanding" or "exceptional" skater, right?

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
habsforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
Is it official that the Habs pick 16th?
yes its official.

we pick 16th.

habsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote