HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peat!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 04:26 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Peat!!

Yea, Man...Was that Stephen Peat out there watching Donald Brashear knock Eminger's block off? Nice job. What was the reason the Caps have him on the roster again??

Old
11-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Mighty Duck

Get a life txpd, using Peat as your wiping boy is pretty lame. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, try to be objective. Peat plays responsibly defensively, has potted 1 goal, a plus 2, 2 fights, with limited playing time. There is room for improvement, he is still young, but if you feel he is a bust, put him on waivers, and see how long he lasts. Look at the bright side, in your perfect world, you could replace him with Ciernik.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:13 PM
txpd

I thought Peat's job first and foremost was to police guys like Donald Brashear. Instead, it looked to me like Brashear gave Eminger a concussion and Peat didn't do much policing. Maybe I am wrong.
I thought he job was protection, policing and fighting.
That wasn't Jeremy Roenick that dropped the kid. It was Brashear.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:01 AM
PSUhockey34

How bad is eminger injured?

Old
11-07-2003, 04:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
How bad is eminger injured?
The team is calling it an "upper body injury". I am calling it a concussion based on the hit and that they showed him sitting on the bench with that blank, "what day is it", look on his face.
I don't think he will be able to play this weekend, but that is just a guess. its not a worry, though, because the Caps are so deep in defensemen....whew

Old
11-07-2003, 06:27 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Policing? It was a clean, hard hit!

Old
11-07-2003, 06:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Junkie
Policing? It was a clean, hard hit!
it was. i never said otherwise.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Sports Junkie

Then why single out Peat? It seems you are suggesting he should have started fight because of a clean, hard hit. That has no place in todays game, IMO. Yeah, someone should have tried to run Brashear, but any other player on the team was just a capable of doing that as Peat.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:03 AM
txpd

Quote:
Then why single out Peat? It seems you are suggesting he should have started fight because of a clean, hard hit. That has no place in todays game, IMO. Yeah, someone should have tried to run Brashear, but any other player on the team was just a capable of doing that as Peat.
ya think? which capital players other than say....Jagr and maybe Doig is remotely suited in size to running Brashear and be anymore than a momentary annoyance?

Old
11-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Mighty Duck

What is Peat suppose to do, take an instigating penalty. When Doig fought Fedoruk, Peat was tangled up with Brashear, giving him the face wash, Brashear did nothing, also Peat ran their D into the end boards hard in the 3rd, Brashear was on the ice, nothing happened. If you want to blame someone, what the heck was Gruden doing letting Brashear come in like that full blast. He could held up Brashear a bit or pull a screen to protect Emminger. The kid is still a rookie, should been prevented with some help from his D partner. If Witt had been out there, this would not have happened. Peat does his job, and at least he is trying. Not like several others, who get 20 minutes a game and cry that they don't get enough ice time. Each game, Peat is improving, and getting more ice time. If you know Brashear, good chance he would have suckered Peat into a fight, and walk away leaving Peat with his gloves off, taking a stupid penalty. You don't know exactly what goes on out there, so assumimg is only a cop out. Also, Emminger needs to learn how to protect himself from these types of hit, or his career will be short.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:15 AM
txpd

Peat ran the D hard in the 3rd? in the 3rd? that was after the game was over. Big deal.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Mighty Duck

You don't like Peat! Who Cares!!!!! You don't need him and Peat doesn't need you. Who Cares!!!!! You have your opinion, I have mine! Who Cares!!!!

Old
11-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Sports Junkie

A quick glance at the roster shows Zubrus, Lang, Witt, Grier, Battaglia, Doig and Jagr are all bigger than Peat. Someone shoulda tried to run Brashear at some point, including Peat.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
A quick glance at the roster shows Zubrus, Lang, Witt, Grier, Battaglia, Doig and Jagr are all bigger than Peat. Someone shoulda tried to run Brashear at some point, including Peat.
agreed. i would have to check the shift chart, but i believe that only Peat and occasionally Doig were on the ice with Brashaer. So...unless the rest came off the bench, it was up to them.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:04 PM
name

Wow, I'm suprised by the lack of support for txpd's notion that Peat should have done something about that hit. Brashear's hit was clean, but it cost the Caps a defenseman who's been putting up big minutes in an already decimated d corps. Peat should have stuck up for him because, in my mind, that's a big part of his job.

Old
11-08-2003, 02:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
Wow, I'm suprised by the lack of support for txpd's notion that Peat should have done something about that hit. Brashear's hit was clean, but it cost the Caps a defenseman who's been putting up big minutes in an already decimated d corps. Peat should have stuck up for him because, in my mind, that's a big part of his job.
Peat has fans. Those fans stick up for him. "Mighty Duck" from his name is an Anaheim fan. Peat came from there. I need only look so far as this mornings Washington Times for my back up......
http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...5259-2596r.htm
The game might have been won or lost on rookie defenseman Steve Eminger's first shift. Just 33 seconds after the 20-year-old hit the ice, Eminger was checked cleanly but brutally into the rear boards by Flyers enforcer Donald Brashear.
To ensure that kind of thing doesn't happen again, hockey etiquette dictates the hitter be challenged on the spot to indicate the message was received and was being returned in kind. That didn't happen, and the Flyers played the Caps like pingpong balls for the first two periods.

Who's job is it to keep an eye on Donald Brashear? Stephen Peat. Was he on the ice at the time of that hit? yes. Was he on the ice at any ofther time with Donald Brashear? Yes. What did he do? Squat.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Mighty Duck

txpd, out of 16 post on this topic, 8 are yours, are you having a hard time getting your point accross. Maybe you don't know what you are talking about, or you need a session in communication, while your at it, take a course in Hockey 101.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:20 PM
name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Duck
txpd, out of 16 post on this topic, 8 are yours, are you having a hard time getting your point accross. Maybe you don't know what you are talking about, or you need a session in communication, while your at it, take a course in Hockey 101.
That's because he's had to respond to posts from a couple of people who don't seem to realize what Peat's job is.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
That's because he's had to respond to posts from a couple of people who don't seem to realize what Peat's job is.
I wish I could stick up for Stephen on this, but I just can't. I did notice though, that after that hit...Hitchcock did not put Brashear back out on the ice while Peat was on. In fact, Brash only had one more shift in the first (Peat was on the bench for that particular time).

But, there was always the 2nd and 3rd period to look forward too, as retrobution. But to no avail...it is this team's biggest problem, and I thought it had been getting better this year. But I agree, there should be no improvement...as a team, collectively you have to stick up for one another. No "if's, and's, or but's...."

Old
11-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Benji Frank

You see a teammate go down from a hit clean or unclean you gotta send a message. You see real leaders ... guys like Thornton, Iginla, Messier, Bertuzzi etc. they respond when they see a hit on one of their guys and it makes the coach cringe!! That's why Simon, Mccarthy, Oliwa, May etc. etc. have jobs and they gotta do 'em!!

Of course in St.Louis in the past Quenville frowns on fighting so Low gets chastized & scratched for it ... and hence lots of key injuries!! This year, in addition to Low, they have Danton and alot of the key guys are making it through without injures from cheepshots.........

Last year there were a ton of guys on the Caps roster willing to drop the gloves ... this year, Peat has more or less been a healthy scratch ... do you think maybe his reluctance to respond to Brashear might be goofy Cassidy's attitude towards instigator penalties, etc? If so, eminger won't be the last guy to go down from a good hit.........

Old
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Hey txpd...

How about Peat's play tonight vs. the Canes? Tell me now how he doesn't deserve some more shifts. He was out there smashing people into the boards, getting shots on goal by making nifty little deflections, agitating his opponents, and getting time on the PP of all places!

He just needs to tie his sweater down a bit tighter so he can't get jersied. I'd call his fight with Boulerice a draw.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
He just needs to tie his sweater down a bit tighter so he can't get jersied. I'd call his fight with Boulerice a draw.
Mmmm, I'll repeat what you said: "He just needs to tie his sweater down a bit tighter so he can't get jersied." Now I'll add to it: "so opposing fighters won't plunder his ass" Boulerice won that.

Did you see Peat hit out there! Wow! He sure did clean 5'8" Marty Murray's clock.

Pathetic. That's why Boulerice plundered his ass. Why couldn't Peat do that to Brashear?

Old
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Hey txpd...

How about Peat's play tonight vs. the Canes? Tell me now how he doesn't deserve some more shifts. He was out there smashing people into the boards, getting shots on goal by making nifty little deflections, agitating his opponents, and getting time on the PP of all places!

when i see peat on the power play in a game that is not already a blow out i will give you credit for that one. for now it qualifies as calling the dogs off. i think they all deserve credit for tonight. except for that one play where doig and kiwi somehow turned a 2 on 2 at the blue line into a cane in free in front of kolzig without a defensemen within 15 feet.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Mmmm, I'll repeat what you said: "He just needs to tie his sweater down a bit tighter so he can't get jersied." Now I'll add to it: "so opposing fighters won't plunder his ass" Boulerice won that.

Did you see Peat hit out there! Wow! He sure did clean 5'8" Marty Murray's clock.

Pathetic. That's why Boulerice plundered his ass. Why couldn't Peat do that to Brashear?
7 - 1 final, do you need a towel, I loved it when Peat crushed that little cheap player, he had it coming. Also, if you think Jesse pounded Peat, you can stay in your round room. To bad Jesse had to watch as Peat layed out 3 more hits and just about scored after that.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Great game by you guys, the Canes obviously weren't ready one total bit. A fantastic game for you guys.

But calling that Boulerice/Peat tilt a draw is a little biased if you ask me. When the fight ends with Peat's helmet taken off and his jersey over his head after taking 4-5 clean shots, that is far from a draw.

Closed Thread