HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Another Skate Problem - Ankle Pain

Old
06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Another Skate Problem - Ankle Pain

When I first got these skates(Bauer Supremes 8090s) they were fine, but now after using them for months the side of the skate has taken a toll on my my upper ankle. It is getting worse and worse and its getting to the point I cannot skate anymore because of the pain. There is no visible bruising but its just the pressure I guess. Its also happening on both ankles, the outside of it. I never had a problem with my old skates but they had more cushion in the area. Here are some pictures to show you exactly where the skate is causing the pain and a picture of an ankle of where the pain is:

[image]http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5858/skatee5or.jpg[/image][image]http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6964/untitled5ne1.jpg[/image] (click for bigger pic)

Now has anybody had this problem and what is the best product to buy to help cushion the area. Even giving it a week or two to heal up doesn't work and I dont have the time to let it heal for months because my summer league starts this Monday.

Any help would be much appreciated.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Guy on my team had the same issue. I sorta have the same issue too, I just don't lace them up to the top eyelet anymore...and if you want the support, do it looser. For some padding, find a think sweatband/wristband and slide over the area before putting your skate on. That way it won't rub directly on that area.

Or maybe they might be ill fitting skates. Those are a 'high-volume' boot, so maybe since they don't fit the padding in the area isn't in the right spot? These should be nicely padded, top of the line skates.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Jacob

8090's are a deep fitting boot and they may be too deep for you.

I agree with the above suggestion- try dropping down an eyelet.

Or you could just take some kind of foam insulation stuff and put it on the problem area.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Oilerfan120582

I have the same problem and I just wrap my ankles in tensor bandages before I play. It cushions the ankle and provides extra support - I can't play without them.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 02:45 AM
night-timer

I don't know how Olympians and NHLers do it. Do they have the same skate problems as us mere mortals?

My skates always have to be laced perfectly - and that takes time to get right. Sometimes I will adjust the laces up to four times in one session. (Does anyone else here do that?)

If the laces are even a little too loose, it affects my performance and, more importantly, my confidence. If the laces are too tight, I can't stop focusing on the pain.

Laces too tight over the arch of the foot is particularly bad.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Has anyone ever noticed how loosely Ovechkin ties his skates?

[IMAGE]http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~skuznetsov/ovechkin.jpg[/IMAGE]

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Jacob

I think most NHLers do, just because they're so custom-fitted that they probably don't need to tie them at all.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89
Has anyone ever noticed how loosely Ovechkin ties his skates?

[IMAGE]http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~skuznetsov/ovechkin.jpg[/IMAGE]
Maybe he has bionic ankles?
na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na....
My ankles hurt on the outside top of the bone that sticks out...I tried not lacing the top pair of eyelets, but it just didn't feel comfortable.
}:-(>
Do you loop the ends of the laces around when you tie your skates?

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 07:20 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Don't loop it around, causes your tendon guard to bend, snap, breakdown, etc I hear.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
If my skates were as loose as AO's in that picture, my ankles would probably give out. I have what are called "kankles" (when your calf extends to your ankle), so it's hard enough to skate anyway but I won't lose my passion for the game.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote