HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens @ Sabres - November 7th, 2003

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 05:43 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
[Cough]

Hey everyone, someone other than Souray scored!

The bad news? Audette has given CJ a reason to keep him here longer.
agree..hate that would rather had a 2-0

Old
11-07-2003, 05:46 PM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
I don't know what to say anymore... I love the habs and always will but we have too many selfish soft players. Nothing will change till they're gone.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:46 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
Pathetic!!!!!!!!

37 shots and we can only muster 1 ****ing goal.

37-17 for us. We've been dominating in the shots (by a lot) the last 4-5 games and yet nothing comes from it. Imagine, we use the score more goals last year and yet we barely took 20 shots a game.
It's because we shoot more from the perimeter.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
she's mine
You're a lucky man my friend.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
No sh**. That was a brutal move. Koivu and Zed have been flying all night and creating chances, their line finally gets a goal with 6 1/2 min to play, so logic says you put on Ribs line and come right back with Koivu, right? Nope, instead CJ sends out the plummers. Koivu's line didn't get back onto the ice until two minutes left to play. What a bonehead move.

I mean seriously, shorten the f****** bench man!

Another thing, Breezey and Souray had an excellent first and were playing very well together. So who does CJ send out to penalty kill? Souray and Rivet. Terrible. As one would expect, Rivet does his best pylon impression down low and 1-0 Sabres.
Theo should have stopped that, that was a pathetic goal, eh?

Old
11-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Guy!

For the first time all year, the team did not quit when it got down by two goals, and instead continued to dominate the play right until the final whistle. Anyone want to take a guess as to why? Thank you Saku for bringing accountability to the players. To those who say he isn't a good captain, I suggest you take a good long look at his play. Right after the first goal, he pretty much drilled some poor blighter and won the puck. After the second goal, he was out there again setting up yet another scoring chance.

Despite the loss, I felt the majority of players had a very solid game. In fact, a couple of those who fans have been complaining about for some time looked like NHLers instead of floating ECHLers. It was a pleasant change. And despite the loss, I'll say I'm fairly satisfied with the night because the effort was constant and consistent and it was only two errors that cost us.

I'm disappointed in only two major things for this game: Theo's horrid goaltending and Juliens expertise at absolutely killing all of Markov's confidence over the last few games - it was really visible tonight.

~~

Notes: (Because of the various whiners, I'll change the markings to effort.)

Theo: Should have been pulled at the beginning of the third because both goals will rest on his shoulders. Someone coming out from the corner and five-holing a goal, plus a weak backhander, are just not what you need from a guy that's supposed to help carry this team to a playoff berth. Even when he didn't let it in, he fought the puck all night and only made one real save. D+

Bouillon: Played a solid game and was able to put in a few good licks. His fight was amusing in that the other player never even dropped the gloves. While he was partly to blame for the second goal, I still don't think he looked out of place in the least tonight. B+

Hainsey: Apparently Julien wants his confidence in the tank like Markov because he played precious little tonight. And when he was out there, he was not able to keep the puck in front of him on the boards and therefore lost most battles. C-

Rivet: Traffic Cone 52 looked only marginally better tonight than usual, though he still made his series of gaffes. In fact, goal number two can also lay partially at his feet since it was he who lost a battle which ended up in the puck moving to the front of the net. Is it me, or does he look lost out there at times these days? C+

Markov: Confidence shattered, thanks coach. He's making the blunders he hasn't made in two or three years now and it's such a shame because up until two games ago, he was still okay. Perhaps Julien can pair him with Rivet again soon so he can completely ruin this poor kid. C

Brisebois: Too much ice time, and despite Pedneault falling to his knees in adoration, I felt he made way too many stupid mistakes at the back. Too often he did his cross-ice pass in his own zone and a better team would have capitalized frequently. We were lucky. B-

Souray: Aside from once when he looked up and mulliganed his pass, I though he played a super solid game. His improvement is consistent and is a bright point on our defence now. A+

Begin: All hustle. How can you fault a guy who runs every opponent he gets near? A

Langdon: Fight! 'Bout time. Played a decent game for a goon, too. B+

Kilger: He went to the net and finished his checks; I imagine Gainey is pleased. If he can keep that up, he might even get himself promoted sometime. Then again, I'm not sure he has what it takes to be much higher. A-

Sundstrom: Zoiks! Who was that masked man with the 37 on his back? Helluva game for someone who's been in and out of the lineup. If he plays a game or two more like that on the line with Juneau and Bulis, I can honestly see poor Dax fading off into the sunset. A-

Juneau: You can tell his back is hurting because he just doesn't have that little extra he did earlier on. Despite that, however, he still played a good game, but he concentrated on the defence and didn't really try anything up front. B+

Bulis: Good game, though not his best. Still snake bit - missing the net over top from about seven feet is what Harry Sinden would call inexcusable. Still, at least he's getting in those positions. And you can't fault his defence much, he's still improving there. B+

Ryder: Strong game. That post was a heart-breaker for me. I thought for sure he had that one and my jump and subsequent holding of the head showed my disappointment rather thoughrally. He was strong along the boards and even laid off some sweet passes. B+

Hossa: Still have no clue why he was benched since he once again improved from last game. I feel more and more confident, as he looks like he does, every time he's on the ice. He's strong on the boards and even went to the net, made some nice passes, and created some good offence tonight. B+

Ribeiro: Hands of goat. That's all I can say about his scoring chances. He gets the puck in great spots and can't even come close to finishing - it's so sad. Still, he played a strong game and created well. On the other hand, he was pushed off the puck like so much dirt. A-

Zednik: Hello, who's this guy who passes? I don't think we've met! A *completely* different player on Sax's wing - one who creates, goes to the net, and gets multiple solid scoring ops - not just wrap around weak shots. B+

Audette: And if Zed was a turnaround, what do we call Butthead? He was fantastic out there tonight, even working the boards. His effort in this one game was about the same as all his previous combined. Sax really brings out the best in his linemates and it's such a joy to see. B+

Sax: Strong defence, great hits, smart play, created a scoring chance on almost every shift, 100% intensity, true leader...and this even while looking slightly nervous for the first two or three shifts. We may have lost, but this is a different team with him, and for those that don't see it, I feel horrible for you. I can't wait till he gets in game shape and feels fully caught up. A

~~

Well, I know there's going to be a plethora of posters who are going to whine again about how the team lost and the entire world is coming to an end, but if you really watched the game, it's pretty easy to see who the best team was. Sure, we need to get our chances in the net, but at least we had them - Buffalo can't say the same. They were 2/3. We were 1/15 or so. I have to say that after an effort like that, I'm pleased. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you lose and you give full effort - particularly when you play well enough to win - during a rebuilding year, that's about all you can ask for.

And man is it nice to see Saku in there!

A concerned fan.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:43 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Well, I know there's going to be a plethora of posters who are going to whine again about how the team lost and the entire world is coming to an end, but if you really watched the game, it's pretty easy to see who the best team was. Sure, we need to get our chances in the net, but at least we had them - Buffalo can't say the same. They were 2/3. We were 1/15 or so. I have to say that after an effort like that, I'm pleased. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you lose and you give full effort - particularly when you play well enough to win - during a rebuilding year, that's about all you can ask for.
We're a better hockey team than you. That was a piss poor effort but we still came up with the W. I bet we come out a lot stronger tomorrow.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
We're a better hockey team than you.
Thanks for the inside there buddy.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:54 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!

And man is it nice to see Saku in there!

A concerned fan.
I like your summary...I too think that tonight the score isnt what should be looked at but the game that we played. I would rather lose such games 2:1 where we were the better team than win games like last year where we were outshot 38:12. So what, we aren't getting the breaks...every team goes through such phases during a season and we will be getting them again soon. I would say we were getting the breaks early on in the season so we are about even by now

On another note, in regards to Markov I don't really mind seeing his ice-time cut if he isn't playing well and I didn't see him play well in the past 2 games. I am not sure if you can completely blame the coach on that one. First it was Rivet that was causing Markov to slump and now its CJ...maybe he is just going through a bad slump period. We are always talking about accountability and rewarding effort...by that standard Markov deserved less ice-time.

I really hope the Markov of old shows up soon (no matter who he is paired up with) as we need him. Then his ice-time will go up as well...

Old
11-07-2003, 07:19 PM
goalchenyuk

completly with you ...we are in a rebuilding process so to lead all the game is ok for me cause tonight the guys were woorking hard .

nice game ! and please , open your eyes on what the players are doing well ...it was not PATHETIC as some of you said

Old
11-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Habber

I thought we played a good game tonight, best in a while. Our D was a concern, though.

Markov looked like a rookie and Hainsey looked out of place.

Zed must have had 5 quality scoring chances and had a strong game.

I thought Ryder and Hossa were great. They were flying all night long. Ribs was so-so.

I'm still irked at CJ for his choice of lines at the end of the game. Koivu's line should have had 3 shifts in the last 6 min, instead just one. Inexcusable.

So who sits in the rematch? Can't see him keeping out Perrault two nights in a row.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:25 PM
tinyzombies

Hainsey WAS out of place, he was on right D. Not good for this kid's development. He should be in Hamilton anyway!

I did like what Julien was doing with the D, mixing and matching. I think he should stick with Souray-Rivet and Markov-Brisebois for awhile, it seemed to work when they were paired. Rivet is obviously playing the worst of those four, so naturally he should play with our hottest defenseman and Brisebois is playing a strong game right now while Markov isn't for some reason.

Brisebois outmuscling Dumont and pinning him easily to the boards was a highlight for me. Did this guy hit the steroids in the offseason or what?

Theo sucked tonight, Garon better be in tomorrow!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
nice game ! and please , open your eyes on what the players are doing well ...it was not PATHETIC as some of you said
Yeah but you can't keep missing opportunities like tonight or we'll end up hoping we draft Ovechkin.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
Yeah but you can't keep missing opportunities like tonight or we'll end up hoping we draft Ovechkin.
I hope we draft ovechkin

Old
11-08-2003, 02:15 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
We're a better hockey team than you. That was a piss poor effort but we still came up with the W. I bet we come out a lot stronger tomorrow.

Face it, the habs are snake bitten. Otherwise, you would of lost that game big time.

Yep, the sabres really impressed me, that's for sure.

The only thing I noticed in this one was how unlucky the habs have been.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:20 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Thanks for the inside there buddy.
Who won the game again? Exactly.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:29 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Who won the game again? Exactly.
What a great logic. Hope the Habs won't win tonight then, that might be enough to shake the foundations of your beliefs. Which one will be the best team then? But more importantly, on what will we be able to rely to go through life if our stat cheats lie to us?!? Oh god no!!! Please let the Sabres win once again tonight so we can preserve intact the stability of our space-time continuum!!!

Sorry I got carried away here...

Old
11-08-2003, 07:34 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
What a great logic. Hope the Habs won't win tonight then, that might be enough to shake the foundations of your beliefs. Which one will be the best team then? But more importantly, on what will we be able to rely to go through life if our stat cheats lie to us?!? Oh god no!!! Please let the Sabres win once again tonight so we can preserve intact the stability of our space-time continuum!!!

Sorry I got carried away here...
I have no idea what the hell you just said. Are you insulting me? Saying the Habs are better? What? I seriously have no clue. Speak in english.

And by the way, sorry to break it to you but the Sabres are better. And it showed last nite. So you guys out-shot us. Big deal. We've been getting outshot in every game for the past 10 years. It means nothing. Finishing your chances and being oppurtunistic does. Something we were, and you weren't.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I have no idea what the hell you just said. Are you insulting me? Saying the Habs are better? What? I seriously have no clue. Speak in english.
Go back to school then.

seriously

Old
11-08-2003, 07:52 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Go back to school then.

seriously
Actually I'm in my 3rd year of college. But nice try...seriously. It's just too early in the morning for me to try to decipher ******** posts.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:58 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
It's just too early in the morning for me to try to decipher ******** posts.
Yeah I tend to go down that road when confronted to ******** logic. Sorry about that.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:00 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Yeah I tend to go down that road when confronted to ******** logic. Sorry about that.
No problem

Old
11-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Habs

Quote:

And by the way, sorry to break it to you but the Sabres are better. And it showed last nite. So you guys out-shot us. Big deal. We've been getting outshot in every game for the past 10 years. It means nothing. Finishing your chances and being oppurtunistic does. Something we were, and you weren't.
The Sabres are better, based on what? The current point totals? That's a bold statement, it would be nice if you could back it up with examples.

How can you not say the Buffalo was not outplayed last night? I'm not throwing a biased view into the arguement, but I'm not sure the score was an indication of the game.

BTW, I like some of the Sabres' talent, but I can't honestly say you are a better hockey club at this point.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:22 AM
MLH

You mean this isn't a logical and easily readable sentence?

Quote:
But more importantly, on what will we be able to rely to go through life if our stat cheats lie to us?!?
The Sabres are better, based on what? The current point totals? That's a bold statement, it would be nice if you could back it up with examples

We already have wins against Dallas, LA (road), Toronto, Colorado (road) and Anaheim (road) as well as a road tie against Ottawa. Our other two wins were against weaker opponents (Calgary and Montreal) but a win is a win. Home against Minnesota is the only bad loss we've taken, the others have been against good teams or at least teams that are playing well. We have had a brutal schedule but managed to do well despite all of our injuries. We started slow, you started hot, but both teams have started to go in the correct direction. On paper we have a stronger team and we are very good on the road. The competition between goalies makes them play better (see Noronen dominating the Habs last night). Give me an example of how you are a better team than us...

Old
11-08-2003, 09:29 AM
AK-47

Quote:

It showed last night? Oh, by that you must mean the 5 scoring chances you had or perhaps the pathetic 17 shots you took.

Oh wait, how silly of me, you must be talking about puck possession time.

Wait, that can't be, coz you didn't touch the puck all night long.

Let's face it, saying the sabres are better then any other team after that game is just plain stupid on your part.

Then again what should we expect from a sabres fan.

Closed Thread